• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reserve Co-op enrollment 2014-2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
  They are doing this in Cobourg, I am waiting for my call to be tested to see if I can do this for second semester this year. Hope I get in because my friends did. Anyone else joining the Hasty P's?

Why is the age requirement for military co-op at a reserve unit 17, when you can join the reserves at 16?

:cdn: :bullet: :cdn:

Schütze said:
Why is the age requirement for military co-op at a reserve unit 17, when you can join the reserves at 16?    

Why?

You are asking about two different things.  Co-op is a program that is sponsored by and governed by rules made by the Education System.  The Reserves are part of the CF and governed by the rules and regulations that govern all of the CF.  They are not related.

Co-op students are not paid.  Reservists are paid.

Just because you have to be 17 by the July you are applying, and because of when my birthday is, I won't be allowed to participate in the Co-op unless I stay for a fifth year.

Not true. I've to high school students who did the Co-op at my Corp who said they made over $3000
  :army:

George Wallace said:

not to contradict your knowledge, but I was told by my co-op teacher last year, as well as a couple of friends who finished co-op BMQ/SQ last school year or are applying for this school year, that co-op students do get paid in this placement.

Schütze said:
Just because you have to be 17 by the July you are applying, and because of when my birthday is, I won't be allowed to participate in the Co-op unless I stay for a fifth year.

Not true. I've to high school students who did the Co-op at my Corp who said they made over $3000
   :army:
canuckkwan said:
not to contradict your knowledge, but I was told by my co-op teacher last year, as well as a couple of friends who finished co-op BMQ/SQ last school year or are applying for this school year, that co-op students do get paid in this placement.

Co-op is not paid.  Co-op is run and administered by the School.  Your examples are of members who have managed to be enrolled into the Reserves while they are Co-op students.  They are not paid by the School System, but by the CF.  They managed to join the Reserves, because they met the criteria to join the Reserves. 

In effect, they got credit for their Co-op by joining the Reserves.  If you do not meet the criteria to join the Reserves, you can still do the Co-op, but you will not be paid by the CF.

Just because I'm going to lose my mind if I don't, and everyone seems to have the wrong info and its my job to have the right info about recruiting, co-op and all that crap; I'm going to jump in here and correct some stuff.

1) The minimum age for application to the CF is 17 with parental consent for the Regular Force and 16 with parental consent for the Primary Reserve.  Who ever is passing on the information that you cannot do the Canadian Forces Co-operative education program until you're 17 is feeding false information. The only explanation I can think of relates to your education level; If you do not have the minimum required credits (15 in Ontario) or grade completed (Gr 10 in Ontario) , the age rule does not apply as you must meet this requirement as well.

2) Canadian Forces Co-op students are paid by the Canadian Forces.  they have to be due to legal concerns.  The co-op program qualifies the student to the minimum level of BMQ. Any time a PRes member enters a CF building to train, they must sign a pay sheet.

3) All this information has been posted a million times through out these forums and a simple search would have yielded the answers... also, the best people to talk to about any concerns regarding recruiting would be the Canadian Forces Recruiting Centre or your Local PRes Recruiter.

Thanato said:
I read that Non Coms can be Landed Imagrents, is this True?

Also, when i talked to the Recruter for the Hasting and Prince Edward Regiment, i was told i would do it through the summer (if i pass all the tests), July and August, what training would this cover?

~Thanato

Uhmm, providing your recruiter Is Sergeant Cook, he told me that we would have the opportunity to do a summer course to become fully fledged infantryman. That's what I heard from him.

Co-opCobourg said:
Uhmm, providing your recruiter Is Sergeant Cook, he told me that we would have the opportunity to do a summer course to become fully fledged infantryman. That's what I heard from him.

The post you rseponded to is 4 years old, i'm going to venture that the recruiter may have changed since then.

Amusingly enough - other than him getting promoted, no change.  ;)

CDN Aviator said:
The post you rseponded to is 4 years old, i'm going to venture that the recruiter may have changed since then.

Redeye said:
Amusingly enough - other than him getting promoted, no change.  ;)

You have to admit that after 4 years, the odds were on my side !

Actually -four years - it MIGHT have been another individual - it would depend on the date, I suppose.

Does anyone know when does coop start in February for high school student in the TDSB and do you really get paid $350 per week?

Ok, here's my situation, I applied for the reserves, passed the easy app test, and put up record numbers in the fitness test. I have the medical and interview in 3 weeks.

However, I decided to take a course at an adult school that would prepare me for university because I will soon have to take a Stat / QMS course in my business program. But, I would rather take do the Coop reserve during the week from 7-3pm, so went to the coop teacher and got registered.

The problem is that I have two applications processing. One high school coop and the other regular reserves. Once I get my letter from my coop teacher, will I still make it in time to get into the coop intake for Feb and is there anything that I should do now to ensure this will be done?

Secondly, once in the reserves is it possible for them to ship you any where in the world, to fight war with out your consent?

Thirdly, If all work out well with the coop option, how can I transfer to be an officer and take the BMOQ instead of the BMQ?

Thanks and really needing some advice!!!

Just a quick question, has anyone who applied for the Feb-Jun 09 semester get a call back from the recruiting centre yet?

Hey there, I really don't have much experience but I'll do what I can.
I've applied for the high school co-op for this upcoming semester myself, so I've been doing as much reading as I can, hopefully someone with more knowledge will come along to confirm or clarify my statements.

Does anyone know when does coop start in February for high school student in the TDSB and do you really get paid $350 per week?
It starts (I believe) the third week of school, oh and you get about a little less than $40 a day, so no, not $350, more like $350 every two weeks.

Ok, here's my situation, I applied for the reserves, passed the easy app test, and put up record numbers in the fitness test. I have the medical and interview in 3 weeks. However, I decided to take a course at an adult school that would prepare me for university because I will soon have to take a Stat / QMS course in my business program. But, I would rather take do the Coop reserve during the week from 7-3pm, so went to the coop teacher and got registered.

The problem is that I have two applications processing. One high school coop and the other regular reserves. Once I get my letter from my coop teacher, will I still make it in time to get into the coop intake for Feb and is there anything that I should do now to ensure this will be done?

If your doing the interview in 3 weeks, I'm fairly confident in saying you will not get in in time for the co-op program. My class was told we had to have our testing completed no later than DEC 1st. Its well past that date, you will probably just have to do it over the weekends.

Secondly, once in the reserves is it possible for them to ship you any where in the world, to fight war with out your consent?
Currently reservists can only be sent outside of Canada's borders with your consent (you have to apply to go) however, in case of major emergencies (World Wars mainly) you can be called to active service without your consent and sent overseas.

Thirdly, If all work out well with the coop option, how can I transfer to be an officer and take the BMOQ instead of the BMQ?
I assume you mean complete your BMQ training and then switch to become an officer? You'll have to go into the recruiting station and talk to them about it.

Good luck!

Most co-ops are half days so you're looking at about $40/day or so...  You get paid by direct deposit on the 15th and last day of each month.

Your applications - I think they would just be consolidated into one - because once you're acceptable to be enrolled it is just a matter of figuring out what BMQ you're on.  You'd also have to accepted for the school's co-op program.

As a Reservist you can be mobilized by an Order-in-Council and deployed anywhere anytime, in theory.  It has not happened since 1939, and even then as I understand it they still had to volunteer for overseas service.  If you want to deploy overseas once you are qualified the process will be explained to you in full as to how to move ahead.

As for being an officer, if you're in high school, it isn't going to happen.  You have to be in post-secondary education to apply.  If you are interested in pursuing that route, get qualified as an NCM, and then talk to your chain of command about making the change down the road.

bless said:

Ok, here's my situation, I applied for the reserves, passed the easy app test, and put up record numbers in the fitness test. I have the medical and interview in 3 weeks.

However, I decided to take a course at an adult school that would prepare me for university because I will soon have to take a Stat / QMS course in my business program. But, I would rather take do the Coop reserve during the week from 7-3pm, so went to the coop teacher and got registered.

Thanks and really needing some advice!!!

I believe the co-op program starts on the 24th of February, or some time around there.

Zarg

Every semester someone joins the forums to ask about co-op programs through their schools. I was reading the Maple Leaf online and was happy to notice the Naval Reserve is offering it's first co-op program  in Thunder Bay ON in 2009. The item does not mention future plans for other cities, but if you are considering the reserves and a co-op, there is no harm in asking the CFRC if the Naval Reserve is looking at offering one.

Note that education is a provincial responsibility.  Therefore, any such programs will vary between provinces to ensure they comply with applicable provincial rules.

The Army has run such courses in Ontario for a number of years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back