• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reserve Co-op enrollment 2014-2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hyphen added to prevent misunderstandings that the military house barnyard fowl.

Milnet.Ca Staff

I've got a friend finishing off his co-op with the RHLI this semester.  He goes Monday - Friday with some weekends and is receiving his BMQ and SQ quals.  He gets two credits for the military side of the co-op and two credits for other subjects that are taught during the "academic periods" at the armoury.  He is getting one Phys Ed credit, and a University Math credit.

He has nothing but good things to say about his experience so far.

Racioppa in Markham/ York Region you get 4 credits from Co-op, and it is with the Queens York Rangers. You must also be in a semestered school, so if you go to Markham District then you are going to have to switch schools if you want to do the Co-op.

I'm you're recently retired RSM if you didn't realize, send me a PM or talk to me when you see me next and I'll let you know all you want to know.

I heard that you paid when you have completed a Canadian Military Co-op program. Is that true?
Just wondering...

:army:

Schütze said:
   I heard that you paid when you have completed a Canadian Military Co-op program. Is that true?
Just wondering...

:army:

You will be paid for every day you work and have that cash deposited into your account twice a month. You do not pay for anything except razor blades, boot polish etc.

:deadhorse:

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/13350.0.html

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/1238.0.html

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/30296.0.html

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/21770.0.html

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/24580.0.html

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/135.0.html

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/34325.0.html

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/37055.0.html

This is also a good link: http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php?action=search

:pop:

[quote author=popnfresh]
You will be paid for every day you work and have that cash deposited into your account twice a month. You do not pay for anything except razor blades, boot polish etc. [/quote]

They're paying them now? Wow.
It wasn't like that when I did it.

The Coop is the same thing has doing your BMQ/SQ in Meaford or somewhere during the summer, the only differences are that you go home every night, unless you go to a base for a week, you learn the same things has anyone else does who does BMQ/SQ in the summer or on weekends.  Some coops have an academic side, mine didn't, i got five credits for mine.

Jaydub said:
They're paying them now? Wow.
It wasn't like that when I did it.

There was a CANFORGEN a few years ago about this issue, including a contact number for pers who underwent unpaid service to inquire about being paid retroactively for their service.

A search on this site should find you that CANFORGEN.

dapaterson said:
There was a CANFORGEN a few years ago about this issue, including a contact number for pers who underwent unpaid service to inquire about being paid retroactively for their service.

A search on this site should find you that CANFORGEN.

I'll take a look, but do you remember how far retro-dated it is?
I did my co-op in 2000.

Jaydub said:
I'll take a look, but do you remember how far retro-dated it is?
I did my co-op in 2000.

DIN link: http://vcds.dwan.dnd.ca/vcds-exec/pubs/canforgen/2005/189-05_e.asp

THE AIM OF THIS MESSAGE IS TO ADVISE OF AN ONGOING INITIATIVE WITHIN LAND FORCE CENTRAL AREA (LFCA) TO IDENTIFY FORMER MILITARY HIGH SCHOOL CO-OPERATIVE EDUCATION STUDENTS FROM THE LATE 1980'S TO 2001. THE MAJORITY OF STUDENTS WHO PARTICIPATED IN THESE LFCA CONDUCTED CO-OPERATIVE EDUCATION COURSES DID NOT RECEIVE ALL OF THEIR ENTITLED PAY FOR THEIR MILITARY TRAINING.

So you'd be covered.

Thank you so very much!

Hi,

I'm a grade 12 student and graduating this year, although I'm doing a victory lap (extra year of classes) in 09-10.  I've been considering a career in the military for a long time now and am aiming for artillery, armoured or intelligence.  The one question that remains for me is whether I want to be an officer or an NCM.  A friend of mine recently finished the army co-op program with an infantry unit and that got me thinking that it may be the ideal way to get a taste of the NCM life and at the very least see in person what officers do so I'm better prepared to make my decision.  Found quite a few red herrings in my searches so I've got a few questions about co-op that don't seem to be answered yet. 

-Is there a complete list of which units run a co-op program? 

-The application for the co-op would start this spring, whereas university applications are in the fall.  Would I be able to concurrently apply for PRes (co-op) and RegF (ie ROTP, either Civvy U or RMC)?

-More of a general question here:  Do you believe that it is good for an officer (especially a young one) to have experience as an NCM?

I'd like to glean as much information from the forums and forces websites so I can be prepared when I go to the co-op teacher and recruiters, but feel free to send me packing if I should go straight to them (or if I missed anything glaringly obvious on the recruiting websites :D).

Thanks in advance,
Moggie

Moggie said:
Hi,

I'm a grade 12 student and graduating this year, although I'm doing a victory lap (extra year of classes) in 09-10.  I've been considering a career in the military for a long time now and am aiming for artillery, armoured or intelligence.  The one question that remains for me is whether I want to be an officer or an NCM.  A friend of mine recently finished the army co-op program with an infantry unit and that got me thinking that it may be the ideal way to get a taste of the NCM life and at the very least see in person what officers do so I'm better prepared to make my decision.  Found quite a few red herrings in my searches so I've got a few questions about co-op that don't seem to be answered yet. 

-The application for the co-op would start this spring, whereas university applications are in the fall.  Would I be able to concurrently apply for PRes (co-op) and RegF (ie ROTP, either Civvy U or RMC)?

-More of a general question here:  Do you believe that it is good for an officer (especially a young one) to have experience as an NCM?

I'd like to glean as much information from the forums and forces websites so I can be prepared when I go to the co-op teacher and recruiters, but feel free to send me packing if I should go straight to them (or if I missed anything glaringly obvious on the recruiting websites :D).

Thanks in advance,
Moggie

The units running co-ops will vary from year to year, but it seems so far this year a lot of units are - the two units of which I have most knowledge, Hast & PER and Ont R are both running only co-ops this year, no weekend BMQ courses.

I don't think there's any issue to concurrently apply to ROTP and the co-op, I know we had someone a couple of years ago go through co-op then go straight into Civvy U ROTP without a problem.

As for the "should officers have NCM experience" question - do a search, it's been covered several times on here.

1. Go to Guidance, make sure your school actually participates in the co-op, if they do, they might have an information package, most schools only do co-op with certain units, so best bet is asking at Guidance

2. A recruiter would be able to answer that better, from what you said I'm thinking your talking about having 2 seperate applications?

Best of luck for co-op

As to applying for two different entry plans at the same time, talk to your CFRC/D as at some it is one or the other and not both as different processing involved.  However, once you are processed for Co-op and enrolled it is not hard to then apply for ROTP when you are ready and if you meet the entrance requirements.

Moggie said:
Hi,

Thanks in advance,
Moggie

Can't answer your question directly, but if you are in the GTA I can probably shed some light. If you have any questions about coop in general, feel free to pm me. As to going ROTP after Co-op, yes it's been done. I wouldn't say it will always make a better officer, I don't have enough experience to make that call, but it might help you pick a trade more suited to you once you find out what you like best in the military. Cheers and good luck.

Thanks for the quick replies!

The guidance office at school has been utterly useless up til now, so it seems the best bet is to speak with the co-op teacher and then with recruiters from there.  Is it better to speak with unit recruiters or CFRC Toronto regarding co-op?

kincanucks, thanks for clearing that up about how applications work.

Please disregard my question about whether it is good for an officer to have experience as an NCM.

Cheers,
Moggie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back