• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

research for a new series

writerchic

Inactive
Reaction score
What exactly does a 'Training' CWO do, throughout the day, paperwork, etc.
I would like to speak with one if I could. Thanks.
I realized I'm too vague, sorry, new to all this.
I'm from Toronto, working in the film industry for 5years, and have been writing (and researching) a new series for two years now. It's called'The Basics' and is set on a Canadian Army Basic Training Base (fictional). I wish to depict our Army as real as possible, and draw attention to the difference between the American military (obliterate and conquer) and ours (rescue remedy). My show follows more so the ensemble cast of 5 (1 CWO-male, 1 Anglican Chaplain-male, 2 Drill Instructors-1 male, 1 female, and 1 civillian secretary-female). I am currently 9 pages shy of finishing the pilot. It needs to be finished before I can pitch the show.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks again.

writerchic said:
I wish to depict our Army as real as possible, and draw attention to the difference between the American military (obliterate and conquer) and ours (rescue remedy).

Perhaps you need to do some more research on that "real as possible" part - where did you pick up this notion?

(I'm going to prempt you by saying if you mistake how Civilian Government chooses to use the military for the actual, ground-level culture of the Army as an institution, you're entire foundation is faulty.)

I'm sure everything i know (or don't know for that matter) is faulty.
I don't know anything of how Basic is taught, etc.
What I'm writing is a series that focuses on the relationships between these 5 characters, who happen to all work on this (fictional) base.
While I can write the 'dramas' and 'issues' surrounding their relationships, it's the setting I need help with.
I have interest from a producer at Alliance/Atlantis, and a show-runner at Fox (although I would prefer to keep this show Canadian honestly).
Thanks.

I taught at CFRS Cornwallis from 84 -86 and put through about 510 recruits.  I tahght at CFRLS st. Jean 96-99 and taught about 500  recruits, officer cadets, and SLC candidates.  There is no major difference in military trg philosophy at the platoon level between most armies. Your basic premise is faulty.  In any case, dump the CWO, secretary and Padre, and focus on a single platoon.

Tom

Ok, I don't know what you meant by 'trg philosophy', sorry, many of these phrases are unfamiliar to me.
But I'm not a soldier so I wouldn't know these terms.
And why should I dump three of my main characters?
Each season I will follow 4 new recruits, two male and two female, but the 5 leads will stay each year.
I imagine some things will be far fetched, it's a fictional series, I'm making up the stories as I go along, but the setting needs to be true to form (or as close as I can get).

writerchic said:
And why should I dump three of my main characters?

Because they are not one bit "true to form".  The "training CWO" is a guy a recruit will see maybe twice on a course.  The Padre is one you visit on Sunday and I've never seen a "female civilian secretary" on the parade square.

Each season I will follow 4 new recruits, two male and two female, but the 5 leads will stay each year.
I imagine some things will be far fetched, it's a fictional series, I'm making up the stories as I go along, but the setting needs to be true to form (or as close as I can get).

Things like the "equal gender split" (which isn't realistic) makes it sound like you're aiming to write a Soap Opera in a military setting.

writerchic said:

Pardon me for not having experience with script writing, but it would seem that the "far-fetched" parts of your plot and setting should not include the realities of the training environment, the relative positions and roles of the characters from a professional activity viewpoint, or the details that let people watch a series without getting too distorted a view of the background situations being presented. In each of your posts you have admitted being uninformed of the realities of military life and training, which is the basis for your entire plot line. Wouldn't you agree this would be like writing "E.R." without a medical professional on the staff to identify and correct inconsiistencies in everything from dress to professional terminology.

I would suggest that what you need is a technical reviewer, not simply advice to try and fill in what you perceive to be the gaps in your plot.

I don't wish to write a 'soap opera' (not a fan of them personally) set in the military.
And I've worked with enough writers to know that I don't necessarily have to be an expert in the field to write about it, that's what consultants and research are for.
A good friend of mine wrote the series Mutant X, I'm pretty sure there are no experts in the world on genetically enhanced super powered humans.....
I'm just asking questions, there's no need to yell at me, I'm not a bad chic, really.

I'm a published author in fiction and non-fiction - not a military genius, but I do have 17 years in administration plus a degree in communications - if you want to email me madorosh@shaw.ca I can give you some constructive criticisms and try in help in a constructive way.

I have to agree with most of the sentiments expressed here, however, I think good drama can be done in a fictional enviroment - JAG for example is nothing like realistic but makes for entertaining TV.

And guys   - go easy on the abbreviations - no need for "trg" and stuff like that here.   That's just intellectual/institutional laziness.

"JAG" is basically a Soap Opera (with added shots of Jets and Submarines), so I guess I'm right.

Writerchic, why don't you start by telling us what "story" you want to present with the show - by doing so, we can get an idea of what important themes you want to pick up on from a real military environment.   Do you want to show the trails a recruit must face as he/she transitions from citizen to soldier?   Do you want to portray the relationships of the Staff who are responsible for taking kids and forming them into disciplined professionals?

I can suggest to you that your first idea (how we are different from marauding Americans) is the wrong way to go about things.

I dont like the idear because canadien public will think that it what realy goes on. A lot of them have bad opinion of the army and i dont think that a tv show that is 1/2 true is going to help. Maybe you should ask someone in Otawa to have a permission to follow the troop for the all of there basic.

I don't see why so many people are jumping down this person's throat. Atleast she had the sense to come on here and post and try to get information. I am not in the military so I can't help much with that part but I would suggest things like checking out the CBC, they have some footage of basic training and such. Also the DND website used to have videos on it, not sure if they still do. I know lots of people who have just went through basic and I am sure there are plenty on the forums here you could talk to. Also, if you can I'm sure if you went through the proper channels you could visit St Jean, the big training base, or maybe a local armory that holds basic training for reservists. Good luck with the project.  >:D

Wow, much to answer, thank you for responding. I really do appreciate it.
Premise for the show, phew, where to start. (I promise not to mention marauding Americans again, I'm just happy to be Canadian I guess).
Ok, as I said, it's titled 'The Basics' double entendre there. Each season we will follow four new recruits, two males and two females, their uniques personalities and backgrounds will provide the B stories needed. But it's the personal lives of the 5 leads I wish to spotlight. I've been told that there are civillians working on a Base, is it hard to believe that one would be a female secretary somewhere? My show is being written as a drama, not a comedy. While the show 'Corner Gas' is brilliant, I'm not that talented at writing comedy.
One of my characters is a bilingual CWO from Montreal, I have his background and personality figured out, but I don't know what he would do 'at work' everyday.
That's what I'm looking for at this moment in my writing. Step by step.
Thanks,
Carolyn

Why don't  you call your nearest base and see if you can get an interview with someone.  I would suggest that as your best way to get the correct information.

I have already toured Borden, and will contact others for info, maybe I can speak with a PA.
Thank you for that, good advice.
Bye for now.

I may be completely off-base, but wouldn't a CWO be a bit too high in the NCO chain to have a sufficient degree of interaction with course instructors (Mcpls/Sgts?) to fuel a good plot? Maybe a WO would be closer? Like I said, smack me if I'm wrong.

No, I was going to suggest the same thing.  If you want to do a story on an NCO "at the coal face" of training soldiers a Sergeant/Warrant Officer is your best bet.

Wow, this is beautiful.... I don't mean to sound harsh, but here goes: For starters, you're a Canadian female trying to create a series about the Canadian (definitely not the American- because Americans are BAD) Military. You, by your own admission, have no background in and very little knowledge of The Military. But you want to right story lines about Canadian Army Basic Training, and you've already decided that you HAVE to have A BILINGUAL (not necessarily competent, experienced,or respected- but very definitely bilingual) CWO that none of the recruits in question would ever see. Then, you need equal numbers of male/female instructors, because, as everyone knows, at every SERIOUS training establishment, there HAS to be numerical gender equity, or the sky directly over the parade square will immediately fall, because the Political Correctness Gravitational Co-efficient wil have been seriously compromized. Next, you need the same number of male/female trainees (or recruits, or candidates, as we in the military call them) for the same reason as above, but also because, as everyone knows,there ARE an equal number of males and females in the Canadian Armed Forces, and to attempt to deny this unquestioned reality is to deny that the world is, in fact, flat- not this ROUND crap that people are talking about. I have instructed at the Canadian Airborne Centre in Edmonton; at Central Area Treaining Centre Meaford; in 2 Commando of the Canadian Airborne Regiment; in 1, 2, and 3 PPCLI; and in 2 RCR- so, as you can plainly see, I have little practical experience in the sort of instruction you're talking about. HOWEVER, you DO have a fellow non-military female on your side, so with her AND the CBC to guide you it should be excellent. Thanks.

Back