• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Religious Discussion

Trinity said:
Bead.. I am a theologian.. but i am having a heck of a time following your points....

It is entirely conceivable that God sent down another disciple for
a different group of people.   God is God.   God does not work
within our primitive understanding of him/her.
Just because
we cannot conceive of his/her actions doesn't mean it can't be done
or that it can't be real or true.

Originally Jesus was sent only for the Israelites, I believe comes out in
the story of the Canaanite woman (spelling is wrong).   I can break out
the bible and quote that later if anyone is interested.   If that is true,
and Jesus was only here for the Israelites, what is left of the rest of us?

So please.. I'm curious.. explain this point.   No need to PMs... there is no growth
in a PM...   we can all learn and grow from exploring our own beliefs.

Trinity I am not a theologian, however the New Testament is quite clear that Jesus Christ is the only path to God John 10: 1-14. Jesus speaks about himself as the only gate and shepherd of his flock. He also talks about the "other sheep" (gentiles) which he will bring into his pen also. Yes Jesus did come first for the salvation of he Jews but also for the salvation of the Gentiles as well. As you know this was the focus of St Paul's ministry See Gal 3: 8

The god of the Catholics believes in mass, the eating of the flesh of the
Christ and the sanctity of the pope, a direct descendant of Jesus himself.

Could someone clarify this please, the pope being the direct descendant of Jesus part?

Just saw your reply Brin. Here it is.
neuromancer said:
The god of the Catholics believes in...the sanctity of the pope, a direct descendant of Jesus himself.

Actually, the Pope is a direct descendant of the Apostle Paul, the first Pope. This is agreed upon by all Christians, IIRC.
You must be confusing the Da Vinci Code and the Bible.   ;)

Protestant vs. Catholic:

All Christians believe in the Divinity of the Trinity (God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit). The only 100% core requirement to be a Christian (and go to Heaven) is to accept Jesus as the Son of God, as your Saviour, and that he died to pay your debt of Sin so you may enter Heaven. Notice how there is no mention of God the Father, Mary, or the Holy Spirit? That is how you can have one God, but many religions (Islam, Judaism), and one Religion but many denominations (Catholic vs. Protestant).

Now, Catholics, being Christians, accept Jesus as mentioned above. As do Protestants. They also accept the Bible as the word of God. They differ in how they view the Church, but not in how they view God. Their customs differ in how they worship, but not to whom they worship.

neuromancer said:
The god of the Catholics believes in mass, the eating of the flesh of the
Christ

BTW, as do all other Christian denominations. Eucharist is what is called.

neuromancer said:
So if they are all worshiping the same "god" then why would "god" punish
one group for doing or not doing some things, and punish a different group
for doing completely different things or not doing completely different
things. This is so absurd.

Using Christianity as as example, here is the reason:

Even though you (a Muslim say) worship God the Father (your Allah), you do not accept Jesus as the Son of God, as your Saviour, and so on. God (the Father/Allah) sent him to save you. By rejecting Jesus (God the Son) you reject God (including God the Father/Allah/YYahweh. Basically, according to Christians, Muslims were on the right track (Belief in God the Father, acceptance of the 'stories' in Genesis et all), but have lost their way by not accepting Jesus for what (they say) He is. They may worship God the Father (Allah), but, and here's the key, but the Worship of God the Father (alone) is not the requirement to enter Heaven, the worship of God the Son is.

"the high stakes world of peoples souls" - Che

- Very interesting phrase.  Well done.

Tom

So christians believe that the FIRST pope was a direct descendant of Paul? 

Never read the Da Vinci Code so I don't understand your reference. 

Alright, I'll start at the top.

Im not condemning Muslims or anyone else
Yes, unfortunately, you are. This disclaimer is a cop out in order to avoid sticking by what you are saying, I'm actually somewhat shocked you would use it you seem very intelligent and principled.

I believe that Islam is a "re-envisioning" of arab pagan beliefs. Of course I could be wrong. But Im pretty sure.

A half-truth. Mohamed (pbuh) was a crafty politician, no historian should dispute this, his choice of the word "Allah" as opposed to a less generic term was no mistake, as I said it made it easier to convert illiterate and uneducated pagans initially to Islam, the same could be said of the pre-islamic practices of circling the Kaba etc. etc.. Make no mistake, this might have been the action but the intent far outstretched this. I make it absolutely clear, regardless of any of this Mohamed's (pbuh) smashing of the idols and wars with the pagans make it quite clear that he wanted nothing to do with pre-Islamic polytheistic beliefs.

An idol of Hubal was placed on the Kaba 400 years before Muhammad according to several MUSLIMS

"About four hundred years before the birth of Muhammad one Amr bin Lahyo ... a descendant of Qahtan and king of Hijaz, had put an idol called Hubal on the roof of the Kaba. This was one of the chief deities of the Quraish before Islam. ("Muhammad The Holy Prophet", Hafiz Ghulam Sarwar (Pakistan), p 18-19, Muslim)"

Your capitilisation and use of a Muslim source do nothing to add to your argument as they are historical facts that no one denies, their use is a smokescreen used by many anti-Muslim scholars to add weight to their argument.

His symbol was a star and crescent moon...the crescent moon is the symbol used to identify Islam

The crescent moon was adopted by the Islamic Empire, not by Mohamed and hence is no more Islamic than the Eagle on the US flag being Christian. (pbuh)
In fact for the first 3 centures of Islam, and in the hadith and Qu'ran, there is no mention of the Crescent moon. Besides that fact, the symbol of a religion is not the object of it's worship, Daoism has the ying yang yet daosists do not worship it, Buddhists do not expressley worship buddha and Christians do not worship the cross which Jesus was crucified on.
I assure you the furthest thing from a Muslims mind is worshipping the sun or the moon, rather worshipping Allah as the creator of these things. Once again, the intent is misinterpreted by actions viewed from the outside.
Arabs of the times used the moon and lunar calendar to regulate fasting and days, this doesn't mean they worshipped it. Does someone who uses the sun to regulate their days worship the sun? Why the moon and not the sun is anyones guess, it's hot in the desert during the day and much of it would have been spent inside tents, travel would have been done when it was less sunny, so perhaps the moon was just an easier way of keeping track of days. Quite frankly it make sense..why would one stare at the sun and figure out the days when they could look at the moon (less blinding I presume) and figure it out.

I would like you to address the inherent and unescapable flaw which forms the basis of your argument, that of "Hubal" which I have repeatedly refuted, without Hubal you have no argument, so unless you can actually address that without bringing up other things it may be best to drop this now.

Could you explain this Che? Why are the daughters of Allah named the same as 3 female deities worshipped in the same area as Hubal? And why are they Allahs daughters? Do you see the connection between Allah and his daughters and the fact that under Hubal in the god food chain of the pagans were 3 other gods named Allat, Uzza and Manat??

Ah, the satanic verses, abrogated from the Qu'ran shortly after.
This is where the word Faith comes in handy and subjective things are played into it.
It is said that Mohamed (pbuh) succumbed to Satan briefly in order to attract the pagans to Islam and heard a verse which was not meant to be in the Qur'an. It more or less hailed the three daughters of Hubal as being part of the religions worship.
While receiving the qur'an later in his life he was corrected by God and Gabriel scolded him for his mistake, the verses were removed and the Qur'an appears today as it did after they were removed, without giving the Daughters of Alilah such a status.

Moderns mock the pagans for their belief that God could bear offspring, and that is their mention in the Qur'an. In fact, one of the things normally following utterance of "Allah" (can't remember exact wording) is something to effect that Allah is exalted and does not bear children.

Many Muslims outright reject that this happened at all, there are books and books filled with speculation on the topic and I'm in no way qualified to comment on it beyond what I've done so already.

I dont buy the argument that "it has to be read in Arabic". I believe thats smoke screen. Yes some meaning change from Hebrew to english for the bible but the message stays the same. Its pretty easy to dismiss the horrible verses by saying "thats not the arabic so it doesnt count".

And I would be inclined to agree with you that translation does not change intent, look in any religious text based on divine inspiration and you're going to find alot of things that are horrible by todays standards, however when your argument is based on translation of the word "Allah" it becomes the single most important fact and if I can disprove your argument about Hubla (and I feel I have as you have yet to counter my refuting of it) by writing a full post on semetic languages (which I've done) and how translations can help and hinder certain arguments, I'm going to do so.

"the high stakes world of peoples souls" - Che

- Very interesting phrase.  Well done.

Tom

meant partly in jest ;)

brin11 said:
So christians believe that the FIRST pope was a direct descendant of Paul?  

Never read the Da Vinci Code so I don't understand your reference.  
Sorry, it was Peter, not Paul. Peter was asked by to Jesus to be the head of the Church. I will look up some references and post them.

Oh, and the Da Vinci Code reference was more for nueromancer. But basically, the Da Vinci Code states that many Great Men of History decend directly from Jesus, and that Jesus and Mary Magdelane (sp?) were actually married and had children.

c4th said:
One should recognize that there is a difference between a belief in one god and interpretations of scriptures.  On one hand you have the means, and the other you have the end.  Whether you believe or choose to not believe that other religious denominations worship the same god does not change the fact that Islam, Christianity, and Judaism all originated from the same region (the middle east) and document the same events and key players (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semitic_monotheism).  God's word has been written, transcribed and translated by prophets and scholars for millennia.  The scriptures are not autobiographies of God.  In simple terms, choosing not to believe that protestants, Catholics, Muslims, and Jews do not worship the same God through different means is precisely the same as believing that vehicles in the UK do not have internal combustion engines because the steering wheel is on the other side.

You are ignoring the fact that we are warned against FALSE religions. Just because Islam borrowed stories from Christianity and Judaism does not mean it is the same. First there was Judaism and the prophecies- then Christians believe that Christ came, fufilled prophecy and freed us from the the "law" of the old testament. Christians believe that Gods word was given to them in its entirety and we are not to add to it or take away. Jesus is our salvation. Islam has nothing to do with any of this. It is a seperate religion ALTOGETHER.

The Quran was "given" to Mohhamed by an Angel.(supposedly) Do todays Jewish leaders feel that they serve the same God? No. Did they 200 years ago? No. The only people trying to push this idea is, in my own opinion, Muslims looking to gain acceptance, non believers who think they know better about religion than anyone else, and Christians without the intestinal fortitude to say what the bible says or havent read their bible.

I cant wrap my mind around the fact that just because 3 religions came out of the same area over 3000 years and all three only have one God- that you believe that they MUST be the same god. Even though all three have different rules.

BeadWindow said:
Just because Islam borrowed stories from Christianity and Judaism does not mean it is the same.

You aren't reading this thread, are you.  No one is saying that the religions are the same, they are saying that the heritage and the Concept of God are.  If I am not mistaken, the Semitic Monotheistic faiths all view God as an omnipotent being who lives in Heaven and is served by a hierarchy of angelic beings (Gabriel, Michael, and Raphael factor into all three Faiths, do they not?).  As well, there is a common root shared by all - Issac and Ismael, the sons of Abraham (The Father of Many, is he not?).  As I alluded to above, if you can't see this common cultural tie between these faiths, than you aren't reading the thread.

Anyways, perhaps people can clear something else up for me.  I remember hearing something that the Christian religion sees God as loving and forgiving and that the Jews approach him in a different manner - He is still the wrathful and vengeful God of the Old Testament/Torah.  Is this true?  Perhaps Che can fill in the blanks about how Islam approaches Allah, if it indeed varies from the other two Semitic Faiths.

Good thread guys, much to learn.  If someone derails it, I'm simply going to delete their potty talk to allow the thread to continue on, as I'm rather enjoying it.

Beadwindow:

Muslims worship Allah. Allah is also Christianity's God the Father. IT IS THE SAME BEING. Christians also worship God the Father, but they also believe that Jesus is the Son of God, and that he dies for our sins. It is the belief in Jesus, not the Worship of God the Father/Allah, that makes a person Christian.

It is not called Christianity for nothing.

Infanteer said:
Anyways, perhaps people can clear something else up for me.   I remember hearing something that the Christian religion sees God as loving and forgiving and that the Jews approach him in a different manner - He is still the wrathful and vengeful God of the Old Testament/Torah.   Is this true?   Perhaps Che can fill in the blanks about how Islam approaches Allah, if it indeed varies from the other two Semitic Faiths.
This is my take. God has had various Covenants with Man. One was with Abraham (which you mentioned), and another regarding Jesus. Both religions 'believe' in the first one mentioned here, with Abraham, but only Christians (duh) believe that Jesus is the Christ. The first covenant was in the Old Testament, where the wrathful God is chronicled, and the second one is obviously in the New Testament. Jesus was pure & sinless. Jesus (not God the Father/Yahweh) preached us to love one another, to turn the other cheek, and so on. So it is only natural that a religion that focuses more on Jesus (and his more gentle, loving teachings) would seem more gentle.

Now, Christians still view God the Father as the wrathful God of the Old Testament who flooded the Earth, destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah, etc. It's just that Christians don't focus on the Father as much as they do the Son.

Caesar said:
This is my take. God has had various Covenants with Man. One was with Abraham (which you mentioned), and another regarding Jesus. Both religions 'believe' in the first one mentioned here, with Abraham, but only Christians (duh) believe that Jesus is the Christ. The first covenant was in the Old Testament, where the wrathful God is chronicled, and the second one is obviously in the New Testament. Jesus was pure & sinless. Jesus (not God the Father/Yahweh) preached us to love one another, to turn the other cheak, and so on. So it is only natural that a religion that focuses more on Jesus (and his more gentle, loving teachings) would seem more gentle.

Now, Christians still view God the Father as the wrathful God of the Old Testament who flooded the Earth, destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah, etc. It's just that Christians don't focus on the Father as much as they do the Son.

God took out all His anger on Jesus while He was on the cross. This is why God is of a different temperment.   As Christians we dont "focus" more on Jesus- they are the same Being. Ask the Father who is greater and he will say the Son, ask the Son and he will say the Father. They are equal. And dont forget the Revelations where Jesus return as a warrior. To say the Father is hard and the Son is loving only is wrong.  

Infanteer said:
You aren't reading this thread, are you.  No one is saying that the religions are the same, they are saying that the heritage and the Concept of God are.  If I am not mistaken, the Semitic Monotheistic faiths all view God as an omnipotent being who lives in Heaven and is served by a hierarchy of angelic beings (Gabriel, Michael, and Raphael factor into all three Faiths, do they not?).  As well, there is a common root shared by all - Issac and Ismael, the sons of Abraham (The Father of Many, is he not?).  As I alluded to above, if you can't see this common cultural tie between these faiths, than you aren't reading the thread.

Anyways, perhaps people can clear something else up for me.  I remember hearing something that the Christian religion sees God as loving and forgiving and that the Jews approach him in a different manner - He is still the wrathful and vengeful God of the Old Testament/Torah.  Is this true?  Perhaps Che can fill in the blanks about how Islam approaches Allah, if it indeed varies from the other two Semitic Faiths.

Good thread guys, much to learn.  If someone derails it, I'm simply going to delete their potty talk to allow the thread to continue on, as I'm rather enjoying it.

Im reading the thread. And Im enjoying it as well. If all we are arguing  is whether each religion only has one God then I concede. If you are saying that "All 3 have the same God". Then YOU are missing the point. Just because they have similar details does not make them the same Being. A horse has a mouth, 2 ears, 2 eyes, a tail and four legs. A cow has all those parts as well. Are they the same animal? No. Just because Islam has characters in its book with the same names does not make it the same story.

For the record this doesnt just apply to Muslims. It applies to Mormons who put their faith in doing good works, Catholics who believe Mary will save them, Protestants who think saying "Im a Christian" will save them. They have shared history yes. But they do not lead to the same place. I cannot ACCEPT that and say I believe the Bible.

BeadWindow said:
God took out all His anger on Jesus while He was on the cross.  

Not really true. Jesus was the sacrifice (often called the Lamb of God). It wasn't God's wrath that Jesus was suffereing, it was mortal death and sin. He took the sin of the entire world onto Him so that those that could not possibly pay for the sin (us) might enter Heaven. It was the sin and death that was causing mortal pain, not God's wrath. Jesus' cry of "My God, why have you forsaken me?" was a cry of a MAN suffering death and the pain of sin when he did not deserve it.

BeadWindow said:
As Christians we dont "focus" more on Jesus- they are the same Being. Ask the Father who is greater and he will say the Son, ask the Son and he will say the Father. They are equal. And dont forget the Revelations where Jesus return as a warrior. To say the Father is hard and the Son is loving only is wrong.  

Agreed. But as Christians, we do focus more on that which provides us our salvation, Jesus, and less on the 'whole package' of God (Father and the Holy Spirit). I was not making a judgement on what is more valuable to Christians because, as you accurately point out, one cannot truly seperate the Trinity. I simplified it for clarity, at the detriment of pure interpretation.

As promised to brin. Regarding Peter as the first pope:

Mathew 16:18 - And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hades shall not prevail against it.

Peter is the rock upon which the Church will be built.

Caesar said:
Peter is the rock upon which the Church will be built.

"For other foundation no one can lay, but that which has been laid, which is Christ Jesus" (1 Cor. 3:11)

written by Peter.

Catholic writers often speak of "the primacy of Peter" and "the primacy of the Pope." However, Col. 1:18, speaking of Christ, says, "And he is the head of the body, the church, who is the beginning, the first-born from the dead; that in all things he may hold the primacy..." Jesus is the head of the church. Not the pop, not Peter. This is from Peter's own mouth.

The phrase, "no god but Allah"? proves "Allah" is not just another word for "God" to the Muslims. The transliterated phrase from Arabic reads, "La ilaha illAllah." A word for word translation into English would read: La [no] ilaha [god] ill [except or but] Allah [Allah]. The important thing to note is that the word "Allah" is a name and is not the word for god. If "Allah" were the word for god, then the phrase would read, "there is no allah but allah. Clearly it does not. The Qur'an itself claims that Allah is the personal name of the Islamic god: (017.110) "Say, Call Him Allah or call Him Ar-Rahman; whatever the name you call Him, all His names are beautiful." If "Allah" were the word for god, then Islam's god is nameless. There is also no evidence that the word "Allah" is a contraction of the words "al ilah," which means, "the god." If it were, then again, the phrase would read, "there is no allah but allah." As part of the first "Pillar of Islam," this issue is critical as Islam claims that the God of the Bible (whose name is Yahweh) and Allah are one in the same and that we all, therefore, worship the same god.

Che- can you give me your interpretationof this? Its from some reading Im doing currently. If you have a second.

Caesar said:
This is my take. God has had various Covenants with Man. One was with Abraham (which you mentioned), and another regarding Jesus. Both religions 'believe' in the first one mentioned here, with Abraham, but only Christians (duh) believe that Jesus is the Christ. The first covenant was in the Old Testament, where the wrathful God is chronicled, and the second one is obviously in the New Testament. Jesus was pure & sinless. Jesus (not God the Father/Yahweh) preached us to love one another, to turn the other cheak, and so on. So it is only natural that a religion that focuses more on Jesus (and his more gentle, loving teachings) would seem more gentle.

Interesting point however this is a somewhat distorted view of the Christian God i.e. to separate the "Old Testament God" From the "New Testament God" in a belief that the God in old testament is cruel and vengeful and the God in the new testament, kind and loving (read Revelations). There is only one God (of one essence with three separate and distinct personalities, Father Son and Holy Spirit) and he is the same today, yesterday and forever, he cannot change, there is no difference between God as he is portrayed in the old testament and God as he is in the new. The loving nature of God that we see in His Son Jesus Christ is the same nature as God the Father. "I and the Father are one."  Far from being cruel and vengeful  the Old Testament is full of God's compasion for his people who despite their constant rebellion were always welcomed back into His embrace. Your statement that a Christian's focus is on the Son at the expense of the Father is theologically incorrect and not in line with the majority Christian denominations.  It is because of and through the sacrifice of his Son that we may now approach the Father without fear, in fact St Paul uses the endearing term of Abba, when calling out to God . In the book of Herbrews Christ is liken to Melchizedck the High Priest of the old testament, who intercedes for us to God the Father. It is because of Christ Jesus that we can focus on the Father now more than ever.

BeadWindow said:
"For other foundation no one can lay, but that which has been laid, which is Christ Jesus" (1 Cor. 3:11)

written by Peter.

Catholic writers often speak of "the primacy of Peter" and "the primacy of the Pope." However, Col. 1:18, speaking of Christ, says, "And he is the head of the body, the church, who is the beginning, the first-born from the dead; that in all things he may hold the primacy..." Jesus is the head of the church. Not the pop, not Peter. This is from Peter's own mouth.

Ok, we have two passages from the Bible. One from Jesus, vaguely referring to Peter as the head of the Church, and one from Peter in a letter to the Corinthians referring to Jesus as the only true head of the Church. Although I am Anglican (gee, could you tell?), I tend to believe that Peter was meant to head the Church on Earth. It goes without saying that the Christian Church is headed by Christ, but unfortunately, Christ is not here in flesh and blood, so there must be a man to build the Church on Earth. Peter was right, Christ IS the only true 'rock', but I think he was addressing a turning away from Christ (and towards the worldly Church) in the years after his resurrection. That's how I see it anyway.

Jumper: totally agree with you. Let me clarify what i posted earlier:

God has 3 personalities (as you put it): Father, Son, And Holy Spirit. Christians, right or wrong, tend to focus on the personality of God which saves us and makes us distinct from others - Jesus Christ (we are Christians afterall). By 'focusing' on Jesus in the literal sense, we are by proxy focussing on God (including the Father and the Holy Spirit) in the spiritual sense. Afterall, we cannot come to God but through Jesus....right?

Yes, the 'vengeful' God of the Old Testament and the 'merciful' God (Jesus) of the New Testament is the same, now and always, but the tone of the Old is distinctly darker than the message of mercy, kindness, and love of the New. I'm referring more to the tone of the books, I am not suggesting that there are 3 Gods, or that God the Father is meaner than God the Son.

Caesar said:
or that God the Father is meaner than God the Son.

I laughed out loud when I read that. I thought that was funny for some reason. You are right that the "Old Testament" is a darker read. But lets not discount Revealations- the darkest book(and brightest) in the bible is a new testament.

gotcha....I guess the main point is we all believe in the same thing. Sometimes it gets lost in the translation....

BeadWindow said:
But lets not discount Revealations- the darkest book(and brightest) in the bible is a new testament.

No kidding! Revelations is very distinct from the rest of the Bible. Very very Dark, yet more promising than almost any other part of the Bible.
Jumper said:
gotcha....I guess the main point is we all believe in the same thing. Sometimes it gets lost in the translation....

Yup, which is why we have more than one Christian denomination, me thinks.

Back