• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Redcoat dress uniforms

• Thread starter Thread starter nbk
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by Recce41:
[qb] Slim
Just slow down. No link came up? As you being in for 7 yrs Reg. You should have known about the Brass helmets. There are many posters running around of both Regts. If you read my profile. I‘m not a new guy, there is a few here that know me. You can ask ARG, RG, BZZ, etc [/qb]
I don‘t doubt what your experience is...I‘ll send you an e-mail privately so we can clear this up and move on.
Stand by! ;)

Originally posted by Slim:
[qb]
Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:
[qb] Martin, only the INFANTRY wear scarlet, so it does not surprise me that the armoured regiment you discuss wears dark blue.
[/qb]
Mike I‘m gonna call you on that point...The Lord Strathcona‘s Horse ( Royal Canadians), the western reg force armoured regt. has a ceremonial mounted troop that dress in scarlets.
They are decended from the RCMP. When they were raised by Donald Smith ( Lord Strathcona) the majority of the men came from the NWMP, including the unit‘s first C.O. major Sam Steel.
It‘s no surprise that they wear the scarlet uniform. Almost identicle to the RCMP except for the hats.( the Strats wear pointy helmets).

Check out their web page.
http://www.strathconas.ca/History/history.html
:cdn: [/qb]
No need to check out the web page; I‘ve been to many functions where the Mounted Troop of the Stratchcona‘s were in attendance, as well as the the Regimental Museum many times. You are, of course, correct. I was thinking of the uniform of the Royal Tank Regiment and other armoured units that wear the chain mail and dark blue/black uniform - forgot completely about the mounted police and Canadian horse units!

Obviously, a complex subject. Good catch.

Thanks Mike
Hopefully you‘ll keep me "honest" when I need it!
Slim

Someone can call me on this but I seem to recall the 8 CH wearing a dark blue uniform for their cerimonial dress...I know it‘s been said...Don‘t everyone yell at once. :D :) :blotto:

Slim
The Hussars wear Blue Cape and Buzby. I wore the **** things, back in my Hussar days. :evil: :tank:

I think I‘ve seen reference to the "pillbox" hat here (the one they wear at RMC) - I believe that is the commonly used name for it - no idea what the proper designation is...

It called a Buzby. But the Hussar one has a Hungerian name. I will find it out and post it..

[qb] I think I‘ve seen reference to the "pillbox" hat here (the one they wear at RMC) - I believe that is the commonly used name for it - no idea what the proper designation is... [/qb]
I‘ve dug around some and can‘t come up with another name for it anywhere. If I do I‘ll let you know.

I think Light Infantry Soldier had it right but maybe it‘s the "Kepis" like in the civil war... The Busby is completely different, if you all don‘t mind ‘till after block leave I‘ll get a digital pic and post it, it‘s not the same hat as RMC wears, they might call it the busby, but it‘s not the same hat...

RMC.jpg

the black and yellow ones are what I call a "pillbox". This is definitely not a busby.

busby.jpg

This is a busby.

Well let‘s throw a another wrench into to work‘s.

As Mike stated due to lack of money.

Engineer‘s would still being wearing the Scarlet with Pill Box Cap‘s,Dark Blue Breach‘s
(with calvery stripe on the side of the leg) with Spur‘s.F‘n smart kit if you have the money!!!

Mess dress for Of.and Snr.N.C.O.‘s is Scarlet Tunic with dark Blue Breach‘s and boot‘s with Spur‘s!

[qb]
RMC.jpg

the black and yellow ones are what I call a "pillbox". This is definitely not a busby.

busby.jpg

This is a busby. [/qb]
Mike I belive what is called a Busby is what is worn by the G.G.G. and the Regiment of Guard‘s in the U.K. made form Canadian Black Bear Skin.

What you have shown is a Hussar or Cavelry Chapaue?Which is not a Busby as I know it.

Coerrect me if I‘m wrong.

Wow thank you for answering my query with such straightforward and non conflicting replies.

First of all that picture of the chaps with the swords that Mr. Dorosh posted is what *I* was referring to. They are lovely, no?

Let me see if I can get all this information squared away:

As an NCM I may, or may not be able to buy one, as my regiment is likely too poor to issue them to me (if I as an NCM are to be issued them at all).

If I am allowed to buy a set, they will cost me between $500 and $2400.

I may get yelled at if I ever wore it because I could be seen as impersonating an officer.

They may be made of poly/cotton, doe skin or kryptonite.

Poor me I just wanted to looks spiffy if I ever went on Letterman...

Mike, you got it, that‘s the busby(2nd pic)I think the RMC hat is the Kepis (pillbox)... Btw, don‘t the RCR‘s wear the same helmet as you show in that pic?

Spr Earl
You found the name for me. Thanks. We in the Hussars called the helmet a busby. The British Hussars call it that. The RCRs wear the British Boer War expedition Helmet. I have just started to colect WW1 and earlier uniforms. Right now I collect WW2. They are cheaper.

Kepis are like the pillbox except with a small brim . the FFL. wear them used to be able to see them with a cloth on the back to protect the nape.
:fifty:

I have the most of complete rundown.
Chapnue : Earl we were both wrong. This is the French word for the helmet. Worn by early Carabiners/Lancers.
Vlanta/ Attila: short Hussar Tunic.
"Busby": British Hussar Helmet
Kaskett: east Europe Hussars Helmet
Pelisse: Hussar Cloak
Tarleton: Dragoon/Lancer tall brass or leather Helmet.
Dolmon: Hussar long heavy jacket
Great coat: well we all know this.
Tunic: British Jacket worn by all.
Kempy Southern French wording: the helmet or hat worn at RMC, can be with or without neck cover or peak. (Pill box) given by the British, these were issued to soldier when they were in the pill box. Due the tall hemlets could not be worn.
Wolseley: the first version is as RMC picture (white). Second version is what the RCR scarlets wear. These were designed by Gen Wolseley in India. The first were issued with or without spike.
There are more but this covers in away Regts of Canada. This is from Uniforms of Great Armies of the World (Gallery Books). The dates I cover are 1780s-1890s. This covers British armys. The book is from the 1500s to modern day. There are West and East European names for kit. If anyone needs more just E mail me. Like I said, I am starting to collect earlier kit. If anyone collects early kit. Give me a mail. Mike I know you collect WW2. I am looking for another WW1/1880 tunic.
There is a WO that collects Germain 1880-1919 kit. But I‘m looking for British.

:evil: :tank:

As for Scarlets....

RMC wears them, the Governor General‘s Foot Guards wear em (they are a staple on parliament hill during the summer) and they are an ARMY officer‘s mess dress (tuxedo style).

I just noticed a site with very detailed info on "what the unit would wear if the unit had full-dress". For almost any unit I have personal knowledge of, the information seems to be correct. The main exception is the Royal Highland Fusiliers which are shown with blue facings rather than the crimson and buff we wore when I was in. They weren‘t, however, Royal then and they are now. Perhaps blue is the correct colour now. As far as blue "dress" uniforms go, most units had an "undress" or "patrol" (slightly lower) order of dress that was generally dark blue (or in the case of most Highland Regiments, dark green). I think that this site is worth a look for anyone actually interested in this topic: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/dctiegs/2002/regiment.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back