• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Recruiting Posters, Slogans and Commercials [Merged]

Wow, some of the most articulated, and accurate posts I've read on the site in a while.  I am a strong supporter for Mr. Tom's idea for a commercial.  I'm sure it would cost the government millions to prepare.  I could probably do it for a fraction of that, and better I might add!  Does anybody know who is the direct link for recruiting adds for the CF?  Who comes up with this stuff? Who's chain do we have to rattle?  :threat:

awesome post from everyone. I think everyone here should be in charge of recruiting. I think we would see a huge increase in the amount of quality soldiers we receive. Not because of the money but because of the opportunity to excel and do something that not everyone can. Thanks for starting this topic

TCBF said:
  How do you make a mud and blood ad to attract grunts without scaring away the 500 series widget techs?

You could have both: half the ad could be what Mr. Ted described, and the other half could showcase some tech trade. The point would be to show that there are trades in the CF that don't involve mud-crawling on a daily basis.

And the grande finale would be: "Want the best of both worlds? Join the CF as a Sig Op!"  ;D  (Shameless self-promotion)

dirky said:
Perhaps our youth are in a sense smarter, they see past the gimmicks of the Army.  I too am younger (not too young) and whenever i see an advertisement for any army i think...geeze, that was friggin cheesy.

I think it's not that Canadian youth are smarter, but the fact the 18-24 cohort, are the most cynical Canadians around, especially when it comes to advertising. We have been raised on it, burned by it, and when a person my age watches advertising we take it with a grain of salt.

I remember in my University of Calgary history class, the professor was talking about the sixties and how people took to the streets. The question asked was, "What would it take for UofC students to take to streets?", nobody could answer. Why? We are cynical bastards, that's why.

So when it comes to advertising, don't bother with gimmicks, we have seen them before, and seen them done better.

Also, try to get the voiceover guy for the Marine advertising.

If you wanted to migrate the culture of the CF away from warfighters to something more like civil servants and police, I suppose you'd start with the attraction process.

7 - 10 days said:
Does anybody know who is the direct link for recruiting adds for the CF?   Who comes up with this stuff? Who's chain do we have to rattle?    :threat:

To my understanding, recruiting is part of CFRETS (Canadian Forces Recruit Education and Training System) located at CFB Borden.  The advertising is produced through contract with some civilian company.  Go to the DND site and see if you can go from there.

D-Dog

Quiet Riot said:
The British had a great reality tv show called SAS are you tough enough.  They took something like 6 male and 6 female civilians with no military experience and put them through a condensed SAS course in the jungle of Borneo(sp?).  When I first saw the commercials i thought they would be really soft on them, but they weren't.  They started off with basic trainning stuff, then moved on to jungle survival and basic infantry stuff.  They also, were put through interrogation were they were put in stress postions for hours while the instructors(who were all SAS or ex-SAS) tried to get info out of them.  The didnt have to cut anyone the first 6 or so episodes because people were quitting or getting hurt too bad to continue. I think it's off the air now but it was on the history channel.

Yeah, they had three seasons, Scotland, Borneo and Nambia.

I only saw (and only knew about) the Borneo season.  I thought it was pretty good.  But I don't expect to be seeing "JTF2: Are You Tough Enough?" anythime soon.

"While it was still dark in the early hours of June 6, Allied paratroopers, including 450 Canadians, jumped from aircraft or landed in gliders behind the German coastal defences. Separated by gusty winds, outnumbered, and only lightly armed, they nevertheless captured a German headquarters, destroyed a key bridge, and seized an important crossroads, all the while sowing confusion and disorder within enemy ranks" The Canadian Armed Forces....Legends...Hero's...You

Recruiting has always been an interest of mine - others may want sniper or JTF, I want advertising!  8)
Anyways, some ideas I've had.

Ads alone won't do it, direct advertising needs to be closely tied to a wide ranging and ongoing promotional campaign that uses different media forms, outlets, and approaches.

1) Documentary-Style TV shows - TDV is an excellent start, but this should be expanded and brought more into the mainstream. One idea I had was to have a TV crew embed itself in a unit from the moment its tagged for deployment, through build-up, the operation, and the return and produce a multi-episode documentary series from that. Have the crew stick closely to a few characters - say, an infantry section, a coyote recce crew, the cook on the camp and maybe a medical team or something, and have each episode focus on one aspect - build up trg, or families preparing for a roto, or a day in the life of a section commander, whatever.

2) Expose-style "insider" shows, say let a Global or CBC crew do a special, or a series of specials, on JTF2. Or, expand the concept and called it "The Canadian Forces you never knew existed" and do JTF, Pathfinder, Clearance Divers, etc. Of course opsec an dpersec would be observed, but I believe that allowing access to something like JTF would allow the CF to call a lot of shots in the production of the show.

With the above two ideas, my premise is that we want the media to do the work for us. And the public needs to be better educated about the Army in general.

3) Appearances by proffessional display teams (display, not recruiting) at events, universities, across Canada, a mobile high-profile team. Weapons, vehicles, demonstrations of various skills. I believe the Brits use such teams to great effectiveness. The idea is to give a human face to the CF beyond someone answering questions behind a desk.

4) Continue the promotion of exercises with the media, get local attention, the usual stuff, which I think the CF has done a fairly good job so far.

5) And finally, the recruiting ads... Essential to the campaign, as they tie it all down.
One concept: a soldier sits on a stool, plain background, wearing DEUs, medals - a 'poster person'. I picture a series of these ads, using a ariety of ranks and experiences to appeal to different demographics -  for example, an older, rough Warrant or a young, hardcore Cpl-type. They would give a brief description of their careers - courses and deployments really, emphasizing how tough, challenging the Army is. Fade out to short videos showing whats being described - Jump course, Medak Pocket, East Timor, whatever. Tough training, exciting operations in foreign place you only hear of on the news, and responsibility all achieved by a young age is the main message. Simplicity and capturing the audience with impressive resumes is the key. Low hype.

Second concept: Keep it to the point, use  images, videos, and music to make a relatively short high-intensity ad. Fast paced cool looking scenes, music that gets the average young person pumped up - and then just a CF logo, a phone number, and a webpage. Maybe even make it a quick historical build up, from Vimy to Afghanistan. No voice over, no talking, no descriptions. Just enough for a 17 yr old to "that looks cool!"
The idea with these ads is to get them interested, not give them a rundown of options and opportunities. Once their in the door, its half the battle.

Two questions for the forum - what do people think of making a stint as a recruiter a requirement for promotion, as the USMC does? And any ideas for a new, better Army/CF catch-phrase?

Two questions for the forum - what do people think of making a stint as a recruiter a requirement for promotion, as the USMC does?

IMHO we definitely need to something for the profile of this duty in the Regular Army. In a volunteer force, the quality of our recruiters is vital. While I have seen a some excellent people who set a fine example, I think that too often this is not the case, and some people are sent to CFRG becuse "we have to fill the vacancy".

I agree fully with the USMC approach, which combines selectivity for staff with extreme  pressure to produce recruits but a clear reward for a job well done.

Cheers.

Watched a documentary on Marine recruiters.
Extreeeemely motivated.
They have a quota system, which they aren't supposed to (and in this case didn't) cheat, as well as a big gunny breathing down their necks.

When the end of the month was approaching they were standing in the street asking people if they wanted to join!

what about different levels of recruitment 

For example those that want to serve as a tech and those that want to serve as a solider. Now all soldiers will get the basics Basic Military Qualification , Soldiers Qualification, then Trade training. So they can deploy no change there. 

The point being, you would (may get more people that want to be there) One benefit would be that you would not have to talk people into being a soldier. You would be able to use â Å“ 90% of the population need not apply to the infantry only the strongest need applyâ ?. Instead of saying  go for it for three years then change trades to a engineer, electrician, carpenter, LCIS, what ever. Obviously in the past we have been misleading the population when they apply. Now not in all cases but some. And yes I know this for a fact.    :soldier:           

Block1: the idea of soldier vs tradesman has been debated at length in a number of other threads on this site. There seems to be a pretty strong consensus here that in a small, expeditionary force such as ours, which operates in all sorts of dangerous and unpredictable places, everybody must be a soldier first. There is no place in the Army for people who are not able to do that. I am afraid that the recruiting system you propose would just aggravate the problem we already have, and which the US Army is working hard to correct in its own ranks after its experiences in Afgh and Iraq. The USMC have always known this and have done well by it.

Cheers

Last night I saw another recruiting add on tv. It showed a guy in front of some type of computer and another guy said strong proud  today's Canadian forces. BORING!!

As a recruiter, I have to give credit to the marines.  They do a excellent job when it comes down to attraction.  The USMC realises out of necessity, that they have to get the best bang for their buck.  Because the USN controls the USMC purse strings, they're forced to use the direct method, including approaching people in malls and Walmarts.  In the US this sort of thing works, as the majority of the American people fully support the military.

In Canada, if I as a recruiter actively chase "contacts" through a mall, or start recruiting in Zellers, I'd probably be arrested and trespassed from the property.  A couple of years ago, a unnamed large University in Windsor Ontario, kicked a CFRC Recruiter out, because a career student complained that they where intimidating students.  The recruiter was actually there as part of a career fair for women, and the student is the president of the universities chapter of the Communist Party.  It made the Windsor Star, and a huge squawk was made in the local editorials about how this kid was getting away with too much bs and other things.  However it still shows what would happen, if we use a aggressive approach.

As for our advertising, unfortunately we are controlled by the treasury board, as to what we can say and put in a ad.  Because the government refuses to acknowledge that Soldiers are first and foremost Warriors, we can not advertise that, so we're stuck with the "Warm and Fuzzy" Ads.  The only way to change that is at election time.

We should do what the Americans do and threaten to cut funding to a University if it does not allow the Military on campus.

Infanteer said:
We should do what the Americans do and threaten to cut funding to a University if it does not allow the Military on campus.

I agree, and I also believe we should cut contracts with companies who don't allow reservists go away on Exs, crses, taskings and ops.

Most universities and colleges that I'm aware of in BC have anti-military policies, at least in student-run activities - university papers will not carry military ads, the student union will not allow military activities or support, etc. A little disturbing. I don't believe these policies have the general support of the students, but they're indicative of the types of people in student government.

Most universities and colleges that I'm aware of in BC have anti-military policies, at least in student-run activities - university papers will not carry military ads, the student union will not allow military activities or support, etc. A little disturbing. I don't believe these policies have the general support of the students, but they're indicative of the types of people in student government.

This was the on the cover page of the university Calgary student run news paper not too long ago:

http://gauntlet.ucalgary.ca/largecover.php?Date=2005-02-03

I never went to university in BC, but have been to a couple others in Canada. I went to career fairs where the CF had booths and were busy talking to people. I also saw them set up in booth in a hallway and also seemed to be well received. If the student unions were trying to block CF involvement on those campuses, they were doing a poor job. Are there really universities that have 'anti-military' policies? Far as I know, they would be treated just like any other external organization when dealing with the University.

Back