• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Politics in 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote author=Loachman]

You're right. I'm sorry. I forgot about the projected deficit. That's going to be much more impressive than promised.

[/quote]
What's the big deal about the deficit?

Justin Trudeau says a Liberal government won't balance the books for three straight years but will double spending on infrastructure to jump-start economic growth.

The Liberal fiscal plan would see "a modest short-term deficit" of less than $10 billion for each of the first three years  and then a balanced budget by the 2019-2020 fiscal year.

Justin Trudeau says a Liberal government won't balance the books for three straight years but will double spending on infrastructure to jump-start economic growth.

The Liberal fiscal plan would see "a modest short-term deficit" of less than $10 billion for each of the first three years  and then a balanced budget by the 2019-2020 fiscal year.

No other words needed. Unmitigated liars.

He sounds more and more just like dear old Dad when it comes to the military and commitments.    :not-again:

Trudeau says Canada one of NATO's 'strongest actors' without committing more money

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/justin-trudeau-angela-merkel-germany-1.3987562

recceguy said:
No other words needed. Unmitigated liars.

"'a modest short-term deficit' of less than $10 billion for each of the first three years and then a balanced budget by the 2019-2020 fiscal year"?

We should be so lucky:

http://globalnews.ca/news/3000667/canada-expected-to-run-bigger-deficit-than-trudeau-budgeted-td-bank/

Canada’s federal deficit could be much higher than Justin Trudeau’s government projected, according to a new report from Toronto Dominion Bank.

TD Bank says it could be as high as $34 billion...

<snip>

When the Liberals unveiled the federal budget in March, they projected a $29.4-billion deficit in 2016-17, followed by a $29-billion shortfall the following year and almost $23 billion in 2018-19.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/decades-deficits-morneau-1.3923060

Decades of deficits could be ahead for Canada, federal analysis warns

Finance Department report says the federal debt could double to $1.5 trillion by 2050-51

Federal numbers released quietly by the Trudeau government late last month are painting a bleak picture of Canada's financial future - one filled with decades of deficits.

The report, published on the Finance Department website two days before Christmas, predicts that, barring any policy changes, the federal government could be on track to run annual shortfalls until at least 2050-51.

If such a scenario plays out, the document says the federal debt could climb past $1.55 trillion by that same year - more than double its current level.

Loachman said:
Finance Department report says the federal debt could double to $1.5 trillion by 2050-51

Federal numbers released quietly by the Trudeau government late last month are painting a bleak picture of Canada's financial future - one filled with decades of deficits.

That-Escalated-Quickly.jpg

This is slightly off topic, but please bear with me ...

We are having an important election in Hong Kong, too. One of the major differences between our election, here in HK, and the most recent one in Canada might be the quality of our candidates: imagine, if youcan, that the Clerk of the Privy Council and some who is a combination of the Deputy Minister of Finance and thr Secretary of the Treasury Board ~ absolutley outstanding people of high intellect, great expertize in government and finance and unimpeachable repute ~ were the candidates: they are, here. Imagine, also, if the whole world was watching your election with great interest ...

Anyway that's the case here but it is hard to stay focused because, you see, it's mid-February and the teens and 20somethings have declared that spring is here ...

Attachments

• Slide1.jpg
    Slide1.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 618
Slightly off topic too- I'm pretty disgusted with the Conservatives dishonest online campaign to smear the liberals about taking away the tax break/danger pay from Cf members in Kuwait.

It sucks that our brothers and sisters there are losing that benefit,  and maybe any deployed soldier should be tax exempt, but the way it's being painted by the Conservatives and especially Rona Ambrose is dishonest and misleading.

There's a lot of CF members who are chiming in and pointing out how it's dishonest and incorrect,  who are either being ignored completely or called out as liberal spies and the typical barrage of insults.   

The liberals aren't putting a "new tax on Cf members which is costing them and extra $9000 taking food out of their kids mouth" ,  which is what the Conservatives are pitching.  Conservatives should be better than that.

*spelling

Jarnhamar said:
Slightly off topic too- I'm pretty disgusted with the Conservatives dishonest online campaign to smear the liberals about taking away the tax break/danger pay from Cf members in Kuwait.

It sucks that our brothers and sisters altheas are losing that benefit,  and maybe any deployed soldier should be tax exemt, but the way it's being painted by the Conservatives and especially Rona Ambrose is dishonest and misleading.

There's a lot of CF members who are chiming in and pointing out how it's dishonest and incorrect,  who are either being ignored completely or called out as liberal spies and the typical barrage of insults.   

The liberals aren't putting a "new tax on Cf members which is costing them and extra $9000 taking food out of their kids mouth" ,  which is what the Conservatives are pitching.  Conservatives should be better than that.

The sooner we accept that a party's interest in the CAF is limited to self-interests, the sooner we can be fulfilled with happiness. For the governing party we're just a liability and for the opposition we're just an opportunity, this historic fact is blind to colours.

ballz said:
The sooner we accept that a party's interest in the CAF is limited to self-interests, the sooner we can be fulfilled with happiness. For the governing party we're just a liability and for the opposition we're just an opportunity, this historic fact is blind to colours.

Is that like finally accepting the love bestowed upon us by Big Brother?  ;D

ballz said:

O it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, go away";
    But it's "Thank you, Mister Atkins", when the band begins to play,
    The band begins to play, my boys, the band begins to play,
    O it's "Thank you, Mister Atkins", when the band begins to play.

>What's the big deal about the deficit?

Nothing, yet.  It was no big deal in the mid/late '70s earlier.  Circumstances can change.  If you have no deficit, then you have more fiscal freedom of manoeuvre to deal with events.

Trudeau undoubtedly has some accomplishments.  But with respect to CETA, TPP, and even Trump's desire to reopen NAFTA, all Trudeau has to do is not put his foot into any of them.

jollyjacktar said:
He sounds more and more just like dear old Dad when it comes to the military and commitments.    :not-again:

Or Dear Old Harper, who also over-promised, and then dramatically under-delivered

ballz said:
There is NO political party willing to look out for the CAF. The public, while they love the CAF in times of need are an orphan to be "seen and not heard" in times when they are not needed. The CAF is vilified when a very few commit horrific acts but sure are the belle of the ball when someone needs a flood controlled or some snow shoveled. (Who can forget dunderhead Mayor Mel?). Face it, the public doesn't give a rat's butt about defence.
The CDS was bang on when he called the press out for their biased reporting.

Hamish Seggie said:
(Who can forget dunderhead Mayor Mel?).

I worked for Mayor Lastman for five years. I liked him. As far as helping clear the snow, all I can say is that as a paramedic I was grateful to the soldiers.

New York City calls the National Guard during snow emergencies. NYC gets sued for civilian deaths when they do not ask for outside help when required.

Metro has only reached out once.

I remember what Mayor Lastman said about Mayor Ford ( voted for him :facepalm: but did not work for him. )

“I'm not a genius, obviously, but he makes me look like one."  :)

Hamish Seggie said:
The public, while they love the CAF in times of need are an orphan to be "seen and not heard" in times when they are not needed.

As far as the military is concerned, would you say Rudyard Kipling had it about right in "Tommy" one-hundred or so years ago?

PPCLI Guy said:
Or Dear Old Harper, who also over-promised, and then dramatically under-delivered

There is a key difference, though.

Liberals have always underfunded and neglected. They have never really pretended otherwise. That is one of the very few things about which they are honest.

Both Stephen Harper and, before him, Brian Mulroney underfunded and neglected, but acted like our best buddies and built up hope before, Lucy-like, pulling the football back as Charlie Brown began his kick.

The end result is always the same, save the sense of betrayal left by Conservatives.

Oldgateboatdriver said:
Is that like finally accepting the love bestowed upon us by Big Brother?  ;D

Just much easier to be happy if you have no expectations that constantly lead to disappointment  :nod:

PPCLI Guy said:

I'm with Loach on this.  Dear o'Dad, didn't promise shit and delivered same unless put up against the wall with a cigarette and blindfold as he was in his early days and wanting to pull out of NATO.

Both Harper and Mulroney made promises, fucked us over and left us with a bad case of blue balls.  I suppose being let down time and time again by someone who claimed to be your friend is the cruelest cut of all.  The Liberals never pretended to be your friend and you knew they really weren't.

And the other thing that both Stephen Harper and Brian Mulroney did during their betrayal phases was to distract with frivolities - no money for ammunition, fuel, or other operational matters, but plenty for dress uniforms, rank insignia changes, re-namings, and all of the associated madness that those triggered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back