• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Politics in 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Loachman said:
President Trump is focussed on rebuilding his country's economy and security (borders, Armed Forces, law enforcement etcetera). Trudeau is focussed on feminism, climate change windmill-tilting, refugees (in an opposite way to President Trump), and other squishy/frilly things.

The International Association of Firefighters and Paramedics ( 300,000 members as of 2012 ) refused to endorse either candidate in the 2016 US presidential election.
https://www.statter911.com/2016/08/15/firefighters-union-will-not-endorse-trump-clinton/

They did however endorse PM Trudeau in the Canadian election.
https://www.facebook.com/IAFFCanada/photos/a.594193077284163.1073741829.581381598565311/1151703838199748/?type=3&theater

This commentary from the Telegraph

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/02/16/era-political-shocks-proof-democracy-working-not-crisis/

The era of political shocks is proof that democracy is working, not that it is in crisis

FRASER NELSON
Fraser Nelson 16 FEBRUARY 2017 • 7:00PM

No one can really know if Marine Le Pen will win this years presidential election CREDIT: JEAN-PAUL PELISSIER/REUTERS
You will, by now, have heard the reasons why Marine Le Pen can never be elected president of France. She may be the most popular candidate, but the electoral rules are designed to stop people like her winning. The first round of voting is about whom the French like: a beauty parade of a dozen or so candidates. But the next round is a choice between the final two, and it’s about whom voters most dislike. So the system is rigged, to stop anyone from the Front National from reaching the Elysée. History teaches that this system never fails.

But history, recently, has been playing up. The Scottish Parliament’s election rules were designed to stop the nationalists winning a majority and calling a referendum. That is not going terribly well. Labour’s leadership rules, demanding that dozens of MPs are needed to nominate a candidate, were designed to stop the far-Left capturing the party. So much for that. The idea of a blogging comedian like Beppe Grillo becoming a serious force in Italian politics once sounded like a punchline in itself. Surprises do happen in politics – but when they happen all the time, it’s time to ask if the assumptions are a little out of date.

A striking feature of the new age of uncertainty is how each shock is preceded by data assuring us that it couldn’t possibly happen. On polling day, Princeton University experts put Donald Trump’s chances at 1 per cent, which was generous compared to the 0.5 per cent that David Cameron was given of winning a majority at the last election. Bookmakers put the chances of Brexit at 20 per cent. Never have elections been so intensively-polled, never have these polls been extrapolated with such sophisticated techniques. And never have the predictions been so spectacularly wrong.

Donald Trump during his inaugural address on Capitol Hill
This had a 1 per cent chance of happening, apparently CREDIT: ALEX WONG/GETTY IMAGES

When scribblers like me are confounded by events, we blame the pollsters. But the polls – always a blunt instrument – have not been so far off. The US polls had Hillary Clinton three percentage points ahead of Donald Trump. She finished two points ahead and it was experts, not pollsters, who had translated all this into Trump having no chance. During the EU referendum campaign, the polls showed a close race, with Leave ahead several times. It was experts, not pollsters, who predicted that voters would stick with the devil they knew. Data are compiled and arranged by humans, who have a weakness for dressing up their gut instinct as objective evidence.

The last few years have proved Karl Popper’s rule of prediction: that history cannot follow any laws because there is no algorithm for human nature. “The fact that we can predict eclipses,” he wrote, “does not provide a valid reason for expecting that we can predict revolutions.” Astronomers can tell exactly where the sun will be, relative to the moon, in a generation’s time because both follow established laws of physics. But politics is a cauldron of human emotion, and there’s no telling what will boil over. Or when.

The CIA’s declaration in August 1978 that “Iran is not in a revolutionary or even a pre-revolutionary situation” was not proof that the agency was imbecilic. It was just a reminder that the idea of an Islamic theocracy taking hold of a supposedly modernising country was about as plausible as, well, someone like Donald Trump taking the White House. Trends like the Arab Spring and populism are hard to spot in advance. Which is why most of the great changes in recent years – the collapse of the Soviet Union, the Arab Spring or the rise of the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant – took so many by surprise.

A banner with cut-outs of the three famous Communists on a red flag next to a miniature Kremlin
Marx, Engels, and Lenin: all fans of rigid rules of prediction CREDIT: DARKO VOJINOVIC/AP PHOTO

When my mother-in-law was studying biology at Soviet-run Prague University she was obliged to study Marxist doctrine: the belief that capitalism would end in exploitation, leading to a revolution and then Communism. This was taught not as theory but science: that Marx’s laws of history were as immutable as Newton’s laws. This is the “historicism” that Popper held up to ridicule and it sounds daft now. But it has been making a comeback: the growing faith in the notion of “political science” and the power of data to predict election results and the destiny of nations.

From the mid-Nineties, a few rules did seem to serve as a rough guide. Elections, they suggested, are won from the centre of a Left-Right spectrum and that globalisation was an unmitigated good. But then countries changed – as they tend to do. The uneven recovery from the crash meant the word “modernisation” did not leave everyone with a warm glow, especially those who saw things developing in a way that disadvantaged them and their children. Mass immigration brought demographic change and new concerns. Where will the newcomers live? Isn’t housing scarce enough already? Will they lower wages, or make it harder for school leavers to find a job?

Politicians who rejected these as ugly, fringe concerns created a vacancy for new parties who were less squeamish. This is what has scrambled the whole system: politics has moved, but parties haven’t followed. Many still cling to the mid-Nineties consensus, not realising the views they dismiss as fringe have become mainstream. Three-in-five Americans agree with Trump over bringing back waterboarding; two-in-five want his wall with Mexico. Even on this side of the pond, a recent Chatham House poll found that stopping immigration from Muslim countries was supported by most voters in eight European countries (including France and Italy, but not Britain). Somehow, a gap has emerged between popular opinion and the conventional political menu – and these are the conditions for upheaval.

Or not. The last British general election returned a government more stable than the previous one, as voters recoiled from the prospect of another coalition. The recent rerun of Austria’s presidential election saw the far-Right Norbert Hofer rejected by a larger margin. Brexit seems to have discombobulated Ukip, which is struggling in what should be a very winnable Stoke-on-Trent by-election. As Britain has shown, populism tends to go away if the government responds to people’s concerns. The only spectre haunting Europe is the panic of established political parties who have taken too long to work out that things have changed.

All of this shows democracy working as intended, rather than being in crisis. It certainly makes  things unpredictable – but democracy, if it’s done right, usually is.

I am a democrat.  I believe in the rule of the majority.  I believe in the rule of the majority because I value stability - even as I value chaos.  And political stability only comes when the governed are not discomfited.

Stability is not stasis.  Stasis is rolling down a rut - fat, dumb and happy.  Stability is active control so as to manage whatever gets thrown at you.

Good for the firefighters and paramedics!

Pray tell, was that decision unanimous down to the last 300,000th member?

Flavus101 said:
Good for the firefighters and paramedics!

Pray tell, was that decision unanimous down to the last 300,000th member?

IAFF Endorsement Philosophy
http://www.iaff.org/politics/FIREPAC/endorsementpolicy.html

The IAFF believes that every IAFF member has an absolute right to vote for the candidate that he or she feels best represents and embraces that individual’s views and political philosophy. No one, including your union, has a right to tell you how to vote.

The IAFF knows that its members are intelligent enough to review the history, positions and platform of each candidate and to make a decision based on that information. The IAFF will never criticize any member for his or her choice of candidate.  There are many issues that are important to all Americans – including IAFF members – beyond fire service and labor issues. Consequently, the IAFF respects its members’ right to vote for candidates who have not won the endorsement of the IAFF or your local affiliate.

However, the IAFF asks that its members respect the IAFF’s duty to make its endorsement based on fire service, employment and labor issues that directly affect our members.  This union views candidates through a very narrow focus.  Decisions are predicated on how candidates stand on fire fighter and labor issues such as collective bargaining rights, protection of fair labor standards (FLSA) and overtime rights, pay fairness and equity for federal fire fighters, presumption of disability for federal fire fighters, funding for first responder initiatives, full funding of the FIRE and SAFER programs, protection of pension and social security benefits, and protection and extension of health care benefits for active and retired members to name a few.  These are the types of issues that IAFF FIREPAC will base its decision on when deciding whether or not to support a candidate.  IAFF FIREPAC does not and will not base its decisions on issues such as Second Amendment rights, reproductive rights, the environment or other social issues that many of our members hold firm beliefs about.

The IAFF has one mission: to improve the lives and livelihoods of professional fire fighters. This union is an advocacy group similar to the NRA, Christian Coalition, Sierra Club, Chamber of Commerce, National League of Cities, etc. Its range of issues is very specific. No one expects the NRA to base endorsements on fire fighter bargaining rights.  Likewise, no one expects the Christian Coalition to base its support of candidates on funding the FIRE or SAFER Acts.  Consequently, no one should expect the IAFF to base its endorsement on anything other than its specific set of issues. 

While you may personally disagree with an IAFF endorsement and believe that another candidate better represents your own viewpoint, please be mindful that the IAFF endorsement is about the candidate’s stance on fire service and labor issues.

In any union, association or even political party, when an organization endorses a particular candidate or a specific position on any issue, not everyone who is a member is in agreement. People are entitled to disagree and express their own opinions. 
Politics within the IAFF is an issue of mutual respect. The IAFF respects its members’ right to vote for whomever they choose.  Please respect the IAFF’s right to endorse candidates, regardless of party, who have demonstrated their support for the IAFF and professional fire fighters. The IAFF also respects the right of state associations and individual affiliates to endorse the candidate that they believe best represents the views of their membership at the state and local level.

jmt18325 said:
Any Conservative I've heard from.  I was listening to Charles Adler. Both he and Ian Lee praised Trudeau's performance, as did all of the callers.  That isn't exactly a Liberal bastion.

Oh,  a couple people you listened to and some Conservatives you spoke with.  My bad,  you're original statement sounded like you were speaking about a lot more people.

I watched a bit of the meeting.  I find it hilarious that people try and elevate everything Trudeau does into some kind of brilliant award winning performance. The constant attempts to praise anytning and everything he does reminds me of North Korean propaganda videos. 

The link Loachman posted is great. Take a watch if you haven't.

Had a big honking post about Political Correctness, Free Speech, the difference between the left and right.

Canned it. It's almost Friday and I didn't want to wreck the weekend for any SJWs.

See? Us Deplorables DO have a heart.  [:D

Attachments

• 15107429_10155215375805110_1098447258572596616_n.jpginternet argueing.jpg
    15107429_10155215375805110_1098447258572596616_n.jpginternet argueing.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 133
  • now i have a heart.jpg
    now i have a heart.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 151
mariomike said:
The International Association of Firefighters and Paramedics ( 300,000 members as of 2012 ) refused to endorse either candidate in the 2016 US presidential election.
https://www.statter911.com/2016/08/15/firefighters-union-will-not-endorse-trump-clinton/

They did however endorse PM Trudeau in the Canadian election.
https://www.facebook.com/IAFFCanada/photos/a.594193077284163.1073741829.581381598565311/1151703838199748/?type=3&theater

I don't see the point of your post. Sorry.

What I do see, is that unions should stay out of politics.

[quote author=recceguy]

What I do see, is that unions should stay out of politics.
[/quote]

Yup.

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/canadian-politics/liberals-take-first-step-towards-repealing-tory-bill-that-would-force-unions-to-disclose-financial-records
Liberals take first step towards repealing Tory bill that would force unions to disclose financial records

Even as an ordinary union member, you will never, ever see a full financial disclosure. You may get to see a financial statement from your local bargaining unit of what they are doing, but unless you're on the national executive, you will never see what they do with your money.

So of course the liberals want to get rid of it. They'll likely get a few million in surprise cash come election time, from their grateful union execs.

Jarnhamar said:
Oh,  a couple people you listened to and some Conservatives you spoke with.

So, do you have evidence to the contrary?  The Conservative Party even supported what he was doing there, and had nothing bad to say. 

There are enough actual bad things you can find about Trudeau without people inventing things.

Loachman said:
For those who have not watched the Youtube link that I provided a day or two ago, I suggest watching it. I check Bombard's Body Language fairly regularly. I have taken to doing so with the sound muted, and then watching a second time with sound on, to compare her (more detailed) analysis with mine. President Trump definitely appeared less than impressed with Trudeau. There is a major difference between their interests.

For what it's worth, I'm sure the feeling was mutual.  Feelings aren't as important as results. 

President Trump is focussed on rebuilding his country's economy and security (borders, Armed Forces, law enforcement etcetera). Trudeau is focussed on feminism, climate change windmill-tilting, refugees (in an opposite way to President Trump), and other squishy/frilly things.

This is hyperbolic partisan nonsense.  Trump has no plan and hasn't had any results (I'm willing to give him time).  Trudeau has delivered on far more than the things you give him credit for (not that any of those things are unimportant, as you've attempted to paint them).

jmt18325 said:
So, do you have evidence to the contrary?  The Conservative Party even supported what he was doing there, and had nothing bad to say. 

There are enough actual bad things you can find about Trudeau without people inventing things.

Sorry JMT you can't say "most Conservatives" without some type of solid source. It's like me saying most Liberals want to drink Trudeaus bath water. It certainly looks that way to me but I realize how unscientific that ratio is.

Jarnhamar said:
Sorry JMT you can't say "most Conservatives" without some type of solid source. It's like me saying most Liberals want to drink Trudeaus bath water. It certainly looks that way to me but I realize how unscientific that ratio is.

I can't prove it's most Conservatives - you're right.  It's certainly true of most Conservatives I've heard from on the matter (all of them, until I logged into this website).

jmt18325 said:
I can't prove it's most Conservatives - you're right.  It's certainly true of most Conservatives I've heard from on the matter (all of them, until I logged into this website).

There, that's much better and a more precise account of your personal experience of interacting with the right.  No generalizations.  Didn't hurt a bit too, I'll bet.

We really have to get video conferencing. Hell, I'll pay the shot.

It'll be worth it to see the heads explode when I post.
jmt18325 said:
:backpedalling:

jmt18325 said:
It's certainly true of most Conservatives I've heard from on the matter (all of them, until I logged into this website).

I hear you dude. This place is a real wretched hive of scum and villainy.

Jarnhamar said:
I hear you dude. This place is a real wretched hive of scum and villainy.
So young to be so cynical ...  ;D

jmt18325 said:
This is hyperbolic partisan nonsense.

If, by "hyperbolic partisan nonsense", you mean "reality", then I agree.

jmt18325 said:
Trump has no plan

Do not be too sure about that. It's not like he's been underestimated once or twice before.

jmt18325 said:
hasn't had any results (I'm willing to give him time).

Wait for it. The foundations are being laid.

jmt18325 said:
Trudeau has delivered on far more than the things you give him credit for

You're right. I'm sorry. I forgot about the projected deficit. That's going to be much more impressive than promised.

Anything else?

jmt18325 said:
(not that any of those things are unimportant, as you've attempted to paint them).

Yes, they are unimportant, other than the "climate change fighting", which will achieve nothing beyond destroying people's jobs and pushing them closer to poverty as we enter a period of reduced solar activity and its attendant cooling phase. And, now that the photo op is over, interest in refugees seems to have been lost and intake reduced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back