• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Political Correctness gone too far?

Muslim rights, gay rights, women's rights, native rights, animal rights........WTF ever happened to human rights?

Copperhead, going back to your post's about laptops What do you think the majority of students will be doing during class? Yes computers are required in todays society, but they cause unnecessary distractions to learning in the class room.

I thought that the role of the majority (or the strong) was to look after the minority (or weak). Maybe I'm getting old and soft, but that's what I thought true strength was, not lording our superiority over people.

Al

I think you're misreading me, Allan.  If we applied HUMAN rights, then everyone would be on the same footing,  special interest be buggered.

I'm on your page, Kat (in regards to treating everybody the same), but some of the other's comments strike me as a little too superior ("the rule of the majority" sounds a little ominous).

Al

NL_engineer said:
Copperhead, going back to your post's about laptops What do you think the majority of students will be doing during class? Yes computers are required in todays society, but they cause unnecessary distractions to learning in the class room.

Not really. you dont use them all the time and when you do get to use them there is usually a purpose like a project or whatever and all your time is devoted to working on the computers and most kids will take that time with those tools and be productive others wont but thats the same with everything in life.

Copperhead, think from the teachers point of view, they can control what you do in a computer lab via programs such as LAN School, they can't do that on something that students take home, and are not on the server. Also, the fist thing tough in courses about industrial training (it apples to schools too) is to eliminate as much of the distractions as possable; number one on the list is laptops, followed by windows. After talking to a few of the guys in my unit that are in high school they say, that he few people with laptops spend most of the classes, on the web (there school has an unsecured network), or playing games. So you tell me that students would not be doing that through class, just like people don't use there cell phones (text messaging/web/email) during class.

Kat, as said above interest are protected under sect. 2  & 15 of the Charter; the courts have also ruled that sexual preference is included under section 15. Just so you know, cocaion heterosexual males, can be discriminated against in the recruitment process for a job (forget the case, this came out of)

NL_engineer said:
Copperhead, think from the teachers point of view, they can control what you do in a computer lab via programs such as LAN School, they can't do that on something that students take home, and are not on the server. Also, the fist thing tough in courses about industrial training (it apples to schools too) is to eliminate as much of the distractions as possable; number one on the list is laptops, followed by windows. After talking to a few of the guys in my unit that are in high school they say, that he few people with laptops spend most of the classes, on the web (there school has an unsecured network), or playing games. So you tell me that students would not be doing that through class, just like people don't use there cell phones (text messaging/web/email) during class.

Kat, as said above interest are protected under sect. 2  & 15 of the Charter; the courts have also ruled that sexual preference is included under section 15. Just so you know, cocaion heterosexual males, can be discriminated against in the recruitment process for a job (forget the case, this came out of)

I have to ask: did you mean Caucasian (i.e white European), or cocaine (using)?

Allan Luomala said:
I have to ask: did you mean Caucasian (i.e white European), or cocaine (using)?
Caucasian, just me not reading back over what I written.

Piper said:
x2

What happened the rule of the majority? Last time I checked, democracy was rule by majority...not "held by the dangly bits by various interest groups".

Canada is a constitutional democracy. There are limits put in place to protect the rights of individuals/certain groups from majority rule. 

NL_engineer said:

Well you cant take them home first off. But when there are 1500 students and 2 computer labs there is alot of competition for those labs. The labtops are on carts of around 30 that can move around from class to class. This means that where there would be no access to computers students now have that opurtunity. Most students when we get to use the labtops do actaully work with them as there is usually a specific reason why we have them in the first place such as a progect or whatever, It's not like they just hand them out to people everyday to have while the teachers are teaching. that would distract people but when your assignment for the day is to use them then I really dont see what the problem is.

ChopperHead said:
Well you cant take them home first off. But when there are 1500 students and 2 computer labs there is alot of competition for those labs. The labtops are on carts of around 30 that can move around from class to class. This means that where there would be no access to computers students now have that opurtunity. Most students when we get to use the labtops do actaully work with them as there is usually a specific reason why we have them in the first place such as a progect or whatever, It's not like they just hand them out to people everyday to have while the teachers are teaching. that would distract people but when your assignment for the day is to use them then I really dont see what the problem is.

Ok, I see what your saying; I thought you were talking about schools issuing out laptops to students.The only way to get what you want to happen is if you get your pearents (I am assuming you are in High School), and maybe other students pearents to lobby the School Council and the School Board.

Recital while folding of the American flag at funerals. Heard on FOX NEWS, notice this was started from ONE complaint

Story found at  http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,306186,00.html

A complaint was filed to the White House after one of those recitations was read incorrectly. Steve L. Muro, the director of the National Cemetery Administration's field programs office, ordered cemetery directors to stop the readings.

"There are no federal laws related to the flag that assign any special meaning to the
individual folds of the flag," Muro wrote in a memo obtained by FOXNews.com. "The National Cemetery Administration must not give meaning, or appear to give meaning to the folds of the flag by endorsing or distributing any handouts on 'The Meaning of Each Fold of an Honor Guard Funeral Flag."

The stopping of the recitations has caused a furor among veterans. Members of the American Legion have been flooding national headquarters since the decision, according to Ramona Joyce, an organization spokeswoman.

"To me, it's a slap in the face for every veteran, every member of the Memorial Honor Detail and every family of the deceased veteran," said Rees Lloyd, a member of the American Legion's Memorial Honor Detail for services at Riverside National Cemetery in California.

At issue are secondary meanings attached to the folding of the flag. As the honor guard makes the 13 folds — traditionally representing the original colonies — they recite "the first fold of our flag is a symbol of life, the second fold is a symbol of our belief in the eternal life, etc."

A complaint about the recitation for the 11th fold — "in the eyes of a Hebrew citizen, represents the lower portion of the seal of King David and King Solomon, and glorifies, in their eyes, the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob" — garnered a complaint and prompted the ban.

Dave

We are daily becoming a more tepid society....

well... when you institutionalize something... might as well expect that there will be at least one person (or group) who will challenge.

If it was 13 folds for the 1st 13 colonies, that should have been good enough & there was no reason to go on and give each another additional meaning.

Tempest in a teacup if you ask me

in the eyes of a Hebrew citizen, represents the lower portion of the seal of King David and King Solomon, and glorifies, in their eyes, the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob

I'd like to know the religion of the person putting in the complaint.  If they are from one of the two most popular religions in the world then they need to do some deeper reading and are ignorant of their own faith.  (Suspect the complainant was not Jewish and so not including them in this query.)

Strike said:
If they are from one of the two most popular religions in the world then they need to do some deeper reading and are ignorant of their own faith. 

Slight hijack- if you think the "two most popular religions in the world" are Christianity and Islam, that point is debatable. Hinduism and Buddhism (all sects- Hinayana and Mahayana) have quite a large number of followers.

Christians, by far, make up more than any other religion at around 33% of people world wide.  Next is Islam, which is around 20%.  Hindus make up perhaps 13%. 

Christianity, Islam and Judaism together are known as "Abrahamic" religions (don't know why?  Check it out)

Back on track: yes, it goes too far when the desire of the ONE outweighs the desires of the MANY.  (hint: that's called tyranny)

Mortarman Rockpainter said:
Christianity, Islam and Judaism together are known as "Abrahamic" religions (don't know why?  Check it out)

They all hold the old testament as gospel.  three traditions with a single origin ... Abraham

It is the choice of Abraham as a common label that makes them Abrahamic. It stems from his reputation as the "Father of many" (which is the literal meaning of his name). Since he is claimed by Jewish tradition as the ancestor of the Israelites, and his son Ishmael (Isma'il) by Muslim tradition as the ancestor of the Arabs, and by Christians as a "father in faith" (see Romans 4) the phrase may be meant to suggest that all three religions come from one source.

Back