• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

PMJT: The First 100 Days

Status
Not open for further replies.
jollyjacktar said:
As for the "importance" of his private members bill, I'd wager a majority of Canadians are fine with the lyrics as they are and would instead be interested in the HoC working on other stuff.  You know, like the economy, bombing Daesh, healthcare, incoming Syrians....

I don't see how this bill takes away from those things.

jollyjacktar said:
Can't say how long he intends to stick around.  He tried the same deal under the last government and it was defeated by the then majority CPC.

I suspect it will be defeated again.

"I don't see how this bill takes away from those things"

If they're talking about that, it robs from the rest.  Priorities should take precedent.  You won't convince me otherwise, nor I expect the great majority of Canadians.

Remius said:
I suspect it will be defeated again.

Given that we're talking about ( a ) a dying MP, ( b ) something that Trudeau would agree with, and ( c ) something that the Liberals and NDP voted for in the past...

jollyjacktar said:
If they're talking about that, it robs from the rest.  Priorities should take precedent.  You won't convince me otherwise, nor I expect the great majority of Canadians.

Government business only receives a certain percentage of the time in the House.  This bill comes from time allocated to private members.  It doesn't affect in any way government efforts on the economy or any other issue.

Sorry, as far as I am concerned there are more important matters to concern the HoC with. 

jmt18325 said:
Given that we're talking about ( a ) a dying MP, ( b ) something that Trudeau would agree with, and ( c ) something that the Liberals and NDP voted for in the past...

You forgot "They'll make a point of passing it to poke the CPC in the eye."

recceguy said:
You forgot "They'll make a point of passing it to poke the CPC in the eye."

Well, the CPC abandoned their own pledge to do it due to partisan worries. 

It's no secret, I suppose, that I regard Chrystia Freeland as a fool ~ she's a very well educated, very literate, very lettered fool, but a fool all the same. And now she proves it: she says that Canada will go to New Zealand sign the TPP but she hints, suggests to the loony-left, anti-trade part of the Liberal base that Canada may not ratify it.  ::)  Of course parliament has to debate it, but the Liberals have a solid majority so they can pass whatever they want ... to hint that we might not ratify the TPP weakens business confidence at the worst possible time and is an incredibly irresponsible, indeed a f'ing stupid thing for a minister to say in these economic circumstances. She's just pandering to the ignorant left wing of her party. If Justin Trudeau had a brain ~ which I'm starting to doubt ~ he would boot her dumb ass out of cabinet right now.

I wonder if, or probably how long before, JT imposes some discipline on his cabinet re a tendency to go off message and or say dumb things. Edward, you may remember Pearson's cabinet ministers used to run off at the mouth, but Trudeau the elder imposed a Harperesque gag on his cabinet. Or perhaps he doesn't see it as a political liability, yet.

I do indeed remember the public "debates" between both Pearson and Diefenbaker's ministers, and between ministers and the PM ... you're right: Pierre Trudeau imposed order and it held through Mulroney, Chrétien and Harper, each of whom retained, and in some cases even tried to strengthen, the policy stranglehold that Trudeau-Pitfield imposed.

Someone else has commented that the government does not, yet, appear very well organized ... the PR team seems oddly inept, given how very, very good the campaign team was.

My recollection is that Prime Minister Harper brought in his own PR team in 2006 ~ that was the very start of his war with the Parliamentary Press Gallery ~ and they got everyone "on message" very quickly. Additionally, Prime Minister Harper moved very quickly, only a month after taking office, to replace Alex Himelfarb with Kevin Lynch and, therefore, to get a very firm grip on policy very quickly.

Given the quality of his transition team ~ Peter Harder is something of a bureaucratic superstar ~ I have to guess that there has been some conflict between Butts~Telford in the PMO, Charette in PCO, Harder in the Transition Team, and, possibly, some senior people like Dion and LeBlanc ...

yg2802dta.jpg

... it is, otherwise, hard to explain what's going on at the centre.

It hints at weakness.

E.R. Campbell said:
It's no secret, I suppose, that I regard Chrystia Freeland as a fool ~ she's a very well educated, very literate, very lettered fool, but a fool all the same. And now she proves it: she says that Canada will go to New Zealand sign the TPP but she hints, suggests to the loony-left, anti-trade part of the Liberal base that Canada may not ratify it.  ::)  Of course parliament has to debate it, but the Liberals have a solid majority so they can pass whatever they want ... to hint that we might not ratify the TPP weakens business confidence at the worst possible time and is an incredibly irresponsible, indeed a f'ing stupid thing for a minister to say in these economic circumstances. She's just pandering to the ignorant left wing of her party. If Justin Trudeau had a brain ~ which I'm starting to doubt ~ he would boot her dumb *** out of cabinet right now.
Hey, let them debate. That's how parliament is suppose to work.

Fact is, even if the loony left of the LPC doesn't vote for it, the CPC will and it will pass.

I rather like that the members of the LPC can speak their mind and speak for their ridings.

To each their own.

Altair said:
I rather like that the members of the LPC can speak their mind and speak for their ridings.

Unless its abortion, because then Trudeau determines what your morals and values are. Even the Tories had a free vote on that.

PuckChaser said:
Unless its abortion, because then Trudeau determines what your morals and values are. Even the Tories had a free vote on that.
True enough. A bit of a stain on the whole free vote idea.

That said, I like that  they are given leeway on non confidence issues. These people got to where they are today by be creative driven free thinkers. Nothing worst that seeing intelligent people forced to toe the party line and become drones.

I found it refreshing that after the CPC fell, a whole bunch of former ministers started saying things that they never would have of they were still in power.

Altair said:
Hey, let them debate. That's how parliament is suppose to work.

Fact is, even if the loony left of the LPC doesn't vote for it, the CPC will and it will pass.

To each their own.

The challenge is when they are not speaking for their riding, but are expressing personal or departmental opinion that has yet to be approved by cabinet. Believe me, and I was in my twenties in the sixties, nobody really knew what government policy was. Ministers used to debate policy and attack their colleagues in public.

Altair said:
That said, I like that  they are given leeway on non confidence issues. These people got to where they are today by be creative driven free thinkers. Nothing worst that seeing intelligent people forced to toe the party line and become drones.

Have the Chretien years been completely wiped from your mind?

George Wallace said:
Have the Chretien years been completely wiped from your mind?
No. They were horrible. This is a breath of fresh air I'm comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back