• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Paid parking DND property

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another question - if we are paying these rates, are the RCMP paying them too when they park their POMV's at the police station parking lot?  Its the same as the 'military use' principle that got thrown at us back in the 1980's - civis complained about government-owned vehicles being used for 'personal use', the military changed policy accordingly, but nothing has been done about other federal employees using vehicles for 'personal use'.  Whats good for the goose is good for the gander.

Would anybody be able to tell me if there's any long term employee parking  at NDHQ and if not what the parking situation is around there?

Parking at NDHQ = non existant + expensive
Better off taking the bus

Here is a list of all of the parking lots that google is aware of. There are some reviews on there too.
http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=parking&near=Ottawa,+ON&fb=1&sa=X&oi=local_group&resnum=1&ct=image
I have used "A" on the diagram when I have to pick up kit or I know I am going to be more than two hours. It is on Elgin just before Laurier and across the street from city hall. (Just a couple of blocks south of the Recruiting Centre). It is about a five minute walk to NDHQ.

There is also:
- an underground City Hall parking lot at the corner of Elgin and Laurier. It is just across the street from NDHQ and really close to Cartier Square Drill Hall. It would only be a 3 or 4 minute walk
- the Congress Centre or the Rideau Centre also has parking

It's not cheap though!

If you're thinking about the MGen Pearkes Building (aka 101 Colonel By), you can park in the Rideau Centre's underground parking - but last time I was there, it was something like $12 a day.  If you're not at 101, commercial parking availability and price will vary, seeing that NDHQ is scattered over hell's half-acre in Ottawa.

When it comes to "employee" parking, the Government only provides to EX-1 or equivalent and above (think full Colonel + in army speak).  Everybody else gets to find their own and pay going rates.  Unless you live way out in the boonies, the bus service will be cheapest.  Rule of thumb is that parking gets cheaper by $1 for each block south of Parliament Hill, so you can find something reasonable, if you're willing to walk for a couple or more blocks.

Thanks for the info folks. Re the Rideau Centre parking, would you happen to know if they have monthly rates?

The Rideau Center has demolished one of their Parking Garages, leaving only the Congress Center one, which may also be short lived as both the Rideau Center and Congress Center are about to undergo major expansions, demolitions and renovations.

Find a Park 'N Ride and take the Bus that stops at the front doors of 101.

I think that Rideau Centre has stopped taking new monthly customers, cause of the demolition of one of the garages.  And if I remember correctly, the daily rate went up to $18 when the construction started. 

Bus is probably the way to go, unless as others have said, you don't mind walking a few blocks.

What part of the city are you planning to move to? Getting into the downtown core by car isn't fun from places like Kanata, Orleans and Riverside South during rush hour. Park and Ride is the best bet.

Parking at the Ottawa City Hall on Laurier St is the closest lot, just across the canal from 101. Cost is $172 per month taxes in.

Thanks Cobra 6, that will be one to look into. The thing is, we were thinking of being a little ways out, i.e. Richmond, Manotick, etc, which complicates things so I'm trying to research the best combination of driving, transit, parking, etc. vice the cost. A rural expess Greenpass would be cheaper than parking, but more time travelling. Trying to figure this stuff out from Edmonton.

Park 'n Ride would probably be your best bet if you're looking into those areas.

If you do go the bus route, check out the CFSU (O) website, and get some information on the bus passes if that's your fancy. You'll get a pass, and they'll take a bit off each paycheck for you.

I found OC transpo to be one of the best and most reliable transit systems of any Canadian city I've lived in.

Busing would honestly be the cheapest method there, or someone droping and picking you up. If you are looking for parking I found the best place to park is Slater, right across from the recruiting center. Also the underground parking near city hall is great

Buses are a good option if you are out in some place like Manotick. The closest park and ride would likely be on Fallowfield Station, where there are a couple of express buses which should get you to NDHQ.  Being DND you can get an ECONOPASS from OC Transpo, and as previously mentioned it would come off your pay. Saves you 10-15 % on a regular pass - and don't forget you will be another ~10% back in the new federal tax rebate.  Easy as pie, since the ECONOPASS is deducted from your pay, it is right there on your T4.

Ottawa still has some issues to sort out with its bus system; but the city is at a stage right now where they are adverse to making the downtown any more car friendly than it already is, they are going to be pushing transit for the next few years - not expecting many more parking garages.

Consider carpooling.

Some core buildings, like mine which is a Treasury Board dominated building, have absolutely no DND CF parking, regadless of rank/status.

Haggis said:
Consider carpooling.

Some core buildings, like mine which is a Treasury Board dominated building, have absolutely no DND CF parking, regadless of rank/status.

Also, some of the other buildings that do have parking, such as LStL in Gatineau, assign available passes based on such things as distance from work, # of people who come in said vehicle (carpooling) and length of time there. I knew people who waited +12 months for a pass.

The last time I worked at NDHQ, I was able to rent a parking spot from one of the churches on Laurier, just east of Nicholas, for a very reasonable fee (less than $100/month, if I recall).  That was in 2003/2004.

It may be worth a couple of phone calls, if you're going to be working at 101 Colonel By.

One other key point to consider:  Are you posted to 101 Colonel by, or to one of the many other buildings in Ottawa or Gatineau?  Parking right by 101 Colonel By Drive isn't much use if you're working at Startop or another one of the outlying facilities.

you should also consider looking online at some of the local sites, I found parking reasonably close (5 minute walk with lights) for $60. Most will cost more but $80 is a good average.

http://ottawa.en.craigslist.ca/prk/

http://ottawa.kijiji.ca/f-housing-storage-parking-W0QQCatIdZ39

http://www.usedottawa.com/classifieds/garage-rentals

Anyone hear anything more about military pers paying for parking on military bases.... (either at Ottawa or elsewhere)
(am asking because that ugly rumour is still going round in Montreal

CFAO 29-9 is the reference that states that DND should be charging for parking in urban areas.  That this order is quietly ignored is another issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back