• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Op IMPACT: CAF in the Iraq & Syria crisis

When I was there in 2014, someone asked that same question to the visiting 1 CAD general during the townhall. It got squashed immediately, but again, who knows what the future lies ahead for the fleet.

Eye In The Sky said:
If only people would now push for a turret with a LD and config the bomb bay for...

But, ya know, that would make it, like, warlike or something.  ;)

Incidentally, of all the P-3/P-8 flying nations in RIMPAC, the Canadians are the only ones that aren't configured for Harpoon/SLAM-ER/bombs/anything not torpedo-related.

The turret question was asked again late last winter at the tail of Roto 2; the answer given was about the Dri-Fire t-shirts...not turrets.  I actually laughed out loud a little at that after seeing the look on the face of the person who posed the question (an AESOP).  I guess everyone's a politician these days!  AFIAK, the Dri-fire tshirts aren't avail yet either.  ;D

The T question was asked during Roto 0 when I was there as well...I don't remember the answer but recall thinking the word "waffling!".  ;D  Wonder what the answer will be for Round #3 when it happens. 

We can always drop a strongly worded letter out the GP chute...who needs kill stores??  8)

Dri-Fire UOR is progressing.

Turrets are not even being considered.

50C is a new kind of hot.

Well, "turrets" and "T-shirts" sound sort of similar....  :-\

Ditch said:
Dri-Fire UOR is progressing.

Good 'ol Canadian procurement system;  I first heard word of the tshirt issue before going in for R2.  How long does it take to order a frickin' tshirt, ESPECIALLY after identifying the issue with the other one. 

Turrets are not even being considered.

Of course not, it's not like they are the key sensor or anything.  :rofl:     

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ya.  8)  I remember not being able to touch steering wheels for 10 minutes and 2 chill carts 'barely keeping up'.

Good2Golf said:
Well, "turrets" and "T-shirts" sound sort of similar....  :-\

That was an interesting afternoon at the HAS!  Lots of  :blah: that was seen by all who had to attend as exactly that.

Flush Brush Flush!!  :rofl:

Sad EITS... :(  We were talking about Dri-Fire in 2005, when UnderArmor HeatTM was prohibited to us in AFG.  A number of folks I know ordered Dri-Fire directly to an APO and had FR undergarments a couple of weeks later.  Having lived the relatively thankless life of an ALSEO from unit through to Group-level, it seems that ALSEwas ( is still?) only truly cared about (for a while) after an incident.  Only in a few case I know of did leaders truly grab a pair and make a common sense call...like flying Hueys in t-shirts only in Somalia because it was 50°+.

«Le plus que ça change...»

G2G

Ditch said:

I have decided that 50C is not a thing.  It is not real.  It is just fucken idiotic.

My decision has, sadly, had no impact (pun intended) on the heat.

PPCLI Guy said:
I have decided that 50C is not a thing.  It is not real.  It is just fucken idiotic.

My decision has, sadly, had no impact (pun intended) on the heat.

I bet you it's a dry heat....  ;)

Good2Golf said:
Sad EITS... :(  We were talking about Dri-Fire in 2005, when UnderArmor HeatTM was prohibited to us in AFG.  A number of folks I know ordered Dri-Fire directly to an APO and had FR undergarments a couple of weeks later.  Having lived the relatively thankless life of an ALSEO from unit through to Group-level, it seems that ALSEwas ( is still?) only truly cared about (for a while) after an incident.  Only in a few case I know of did leaders truly grab a pair and make a common sense call...like flying Hueys in t-shirts only in Somalia because it was 50°+.

G2G

Simple.  Martyr up and go get 3rd degree burns, or die from heat stroke.  That'll show 'em.  :nod:

ETA:  Sarcasm, obviously.

ETA:  "Sarcasm, obviously" not sarcastic.

Good2Golf said:

G2G

Are these the same as the Outside The Wire shirts that were issued towards the tail end of Afghan? Op Attention?

Same material. Might be a common sense solution, but has RCAF looked at having those OTW shirts approved for aircrew? In the system, unless they emptied stock post Afghanistan, because we'll never fight in a desert again....

PuckChaser said:
Same material. Might be a common sense solution, but has RCAF looked at having those OTW shirts approved for aircrew? In the system, unless they emptied stock post Afghanistan, because we'll never fight in a desert again....

If you mean the SF-looking one designed for under vests, etc then yes they're approved for aircrew.  Getting them is a different story though, the last I heard they weren't on the deployed aircrew SOI.  The only people I saw wearing them was the MPs.

Those won't work for the aircrew who wear 1 piece flying suit though. 

A post from February (quite a bit on CSE),

Fighting ISIS: Boosting Canadian Intelligence in-Theatre
https://cgai3ds.wordpress.com/?s=Fighting+ISIS%3A+Boosting+Canadian+Intelligence+in-Theatre

and now:

ISIS Fight: Canadian Army Intelligence Team Going to Iraq
https://cgai3ds.wordpress.com/2016/07/18/mark-collins-isis-fight-canadian-army-intelligence-team-going-to-iraq/

Mark
Ottawa

In fact the ASIC team will probably be at “Camp Canada” in Kuwait–and it seems one is already in-theatre:
http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/news/article.page?doc=joint-task-force-iraq-expands-camp-canada/im7ao3rq

Mark
Ottawa

http://www.combatcamera.forces.gc.ca/netpub/server.np?find&catalog=photos&template=detail_eng.np&field=itemid&op=matches&value=75300&site=combatcamera

Eye In The Sky said:
http://www.combatcamera.forces.gc.ca/netpub/server.np?find&catalog=photos&template=detail_eng.np&field=itemid&op=matches&value=75300&site=combatcamera

Don't stand near a camera if you aren't supposed to have your face on camera....

PuckChaser said:
Don't stand near a camera if you aren't supposed to have your face on camera....
One of the four faces in that photo appears to have been "softened", probably for that reason.

Back