• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Op IMPACT: CAF in the Iraq & Syria crisis

Unfortunately, the obsession with 'all things patches', who can wear what (we can't wear our Sqn Heraldic crests, as an example...even though others were) is beyond ridiculous in theatre.  Everyone wants 'bling' these days...

The other common 'bling' seems to be the zipper lights.  Very useful and practical on an aircraft that is rigged for night and you need to see something quickly, or when you are digging thru Pelican cases - hands free and pointing right where you need it without screwing someone's eyes up.

Seeing 'day walkers' sporting them on the arid CADPAT when they worked in offices...now its just the LCF crap.

jollyjacktar said:
Elbow-gate and now flag-gate.
I'd rate it as more of a flag-mini-fracas than a "gate", compared to rock-em-sock-em-Justin.

milnews.ca said:
I'd rate it as more of a flag-mini-fracas than a "gate", compared to rock-em-sock-em-Justin.

Gotta call it something catchy.  Flag-flap, howzthat?

From the Info-machine:
Brigadier-General Shane Brennan assumed command of Joint Task Force-Iraq (JTF-I) from Brigadier-General James Irvine in a ceremony today at Camp Canada in Kuwait. Lieutenant-General Stephen Bowes, Commander Canadian Joint Operations Command, presided over the ceremony.

As Commander of JTF-I, Brigadier-General Brennan will command Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) personnel deployed on Operation IMPACT -- Canada’s military contribution to the Global Coalition against the so-called Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL).

CAF members continue to play a significant role alongside Coalition partners by supporting Iraqi security forces, conducting air operations, and providing strategic military support to the Government of Iraq ...

BEWs are definitely a requirement on a parade in a building!  8)  You never know when someone's pen will explode!!!!

http://forcesimages.ca/default.aspx?moid=63988

CP01 Tiffin didn't get any favours from the Image Tech in this pic;  the angle etc makes it look like he has half a "rolly" left to smoke.

http://forcesimages.ca/default.aspx?moid=63988 Pic #5

I haven't spent much time around the Chief, but the time I did I thought he was a straight shooter and wish him well where ever he ends up next.

Eye In The Sky said:
BEWs are definitely a requirement on a parade in a building! 
BEWs are dress of the day when carrying C7s.

Same goes for those zipper-lights - those "daywalkers" don't have the luxury of crew rest and days off - they need to crawl into their darkened tent at all hours (since their tent-mate works nights).

I would give my left nut to go and deploy as aircrew - much easier living conditions than those working 7 days a week, 14 hours a day.

The vampire shift drags on you too, crew rest or no.  The crews work but their day starts when most people are going to rack.  That's where the name day walkers sprung from (its not meant as a put down). 

But the LSA isn`t much to call home, for sure.  But...the DFAC and USAF side is decent!

Why the fight must go on, despite all the people who say otherwise.

Article Link

Isis burns 19 Yazidi women to death in Mosul for 'refusing to have sex with fighters'

The women were reportedly burned to death in iron cages because they refused to have sex with Isis fighters

ISIS militants have publicly executed 19 Yazidi women by burning them alive in Mosul, Iraq, local activists report.

The women were burned to death in iron cages because they refused to have sex with Isis fighters, the Kurdish ARA News agency reported.

“They were punished for refusing to have sex with Isis militants,” Abdullah al-Malla, a local media activist, told the agency.

Canada's defence minister drops by ...
Canada’s Defense Minister Harjit Sajjan arrived in Iraq Monday coinciding with the visit of US Secretary of Defense Ashton Carter to Iraq.

Upon arrival, Sajjan met with his Iraqi counterpart Khaled Al-Obaidi discussing Canadian support to Iraqi army in the field of military engineering and increasing military trainers, source at the defense ministry told KUNA.
... as the U.S. Def Sec vists as well.

A (maybe not so) little tidbit from the NATO summit:  "NATO summit ends with pledge of more Canadian trainers for Iraq":
The Trudeau government ended the NATO leaders summit in Warsaw on Saturday by pledging to contribute additional military trainers to Iraq for the alliance's program to improve the ability of security forces in that country to detect and defuse roadside bombs ...
Meanwhile, over in UKR:  "Trudeau won't commit to extend Ukraine training mission beyond 2017"

So, which way will this tug-of-war end up going?
:pop:

I'm normally not one to comment on the sleeve "bling" in CADPAT, as I think it can be done quite tastefully (see - UK). However, did anyone else notice that for these pictures, all the troops are wearing the massive Canadian flag on their right arm with another, small one on their left?

Is this going to be the new fashion now? Will people suddenly forget that we're Canadian troops if they don't see it on both arms? And more importantly, whose idea was it for such an enormous, gaudy flag?

It's 'the thing' nowadays.  Wait until you see (like I did) Snr Officer walking around with the big Canadian flag under the small one, or 2 big ones (one on each arm).

What is even worse?  The Canadian "Sentienelle" patch, shaped like the ranger tab.  Not enough face palms in the effin world for me when I saw that and found out what it was for...

;D

Eye In The Sky said:
What is even worse?  The Canadian "Sentienelle" patch, shaped like the ranger tab.  Not enough face palms in the effin world for me when I saw that and found out what it was for...

?

Side note:  I've seen USN folks with a big badge on their working uniform, about where a police badge would go.  I thought that he was an MP but when I looked at it closely, it was a USN Recruiter badge.

At least now I know right off the bat who would be feeding me BS.  >:D

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uniform_Service_Recruiter_Badges_(United_States)#U.S._Navy

PuckChaser said:

Wow....not that there isn't a place for peer support.  There most certainly is....but, wow...a Ranger-like tab?  :facepalm:

If you provide a tab, why not at least make it say "PEER SUPPORT"...yet I still question the value of the tab.  Do people think that someone suffering a mental injury/illness is going to grab the first SENTINEL tab-wearing dude they see?  ???

Maybe I can get different Ranger style tabs made to identify what stage of the release process I'm at. And then a pin for my DEU for out clearance.

Canada’s Eyes in the Skies over Iraq Get Sharper

When CP-140 Aurora aircrew flying over Iraq share points of interest with their Coalition partners, they now have a tool that allows the coalition to engage those points of interest with even greater accuracy.

Members of the Long Range Patrol (LRP) Detachment of the Air Task Force (ATF) say this added accuracy allows Coalition aircraft to engage ISIL targets more quickly, more effectively and in a way where safety is optimized for both friendly forces and non-combatants alike.

“We can share highly accurate and timely information regarding points of interest with our Coalition partners,” said a member of the LRP Detachment. “It helps keep friendly troops safe while minimizing the possibility of collateral damage, which is something of the greatest concern to the Government of Iraq and the Coalition.”

The CP-140 Aurora aircraft deployed on Operation IMPACT have conducted over 500 surveillance missions since they started flying on October 30, 2014 in support of the Global Coalition fighting ISIL. With their array of sensors and skilled aircrew, the LRP Detachment has helped the Coalition find, develop and deliberately engage targets which have had a strategic effect on ISIL. CP-140s flying over Iraq have also found targets on the battlefield for other Coalition aircraft to strike in order to provide air support to Iraqi Security Forces – a process called ‘dynamic targeting’.

Up until now, making sure that everyone was looking at the same thing the aircrew had identified took time, skill and intense coordination. One aircrew likened it to looking at the ground through a straw and trying to guide other coalition assets towards the target, who themselves were looking at the ground through their own straws.

“It was more difficult because you had to provide qualitative information to get people onto what you were looking at,” said a member of the ATF headquarters. “You really had to ‘talk’ people onto the target in cities because so many buildings look alike.”

Enter the Precision Strike Suite – Special Operations Forces (PSS-SOF) software. PSS-SOF is already in use by the Royal Canadian Artillery among their Joint Terminal Attack Controllers to guide indirect fire onto targets with significant accuracy. It works with sensory data and provides accurate Global Positioning System coordinates to what the operator sees on the screen.

Identified as an urgent requirement by the ATF last January, PSS-SOF was tested, approved, installed and aircrew were trained to operate it in a little over four months. One CP-140 aircrew noted how they can do their job more quickly and with greater confidence.

“What used to take minutes is now a matter of seconds,” he said. “When I give somebody the coordinates of what I’m looking at, I know they will be looking at the same thing. More accurate means safer for friendly forces and civilians – you hit only what you want to hit.”

The CP-140 Aurora is historically a maritime surveillance aircraft that worked jointly with the Royal Canadian Navy. While CP-140s were used as surveillance platforms over primarily coastal areas of Libya during Operation MOBILE in 2011, Operation IMPACT is the first environment where it has been used in a purely overland surveillance role. The integration of PSS-SOF into the aircraft’s sensory toolbox continues the improvement of overland surveillance capabilities of the CP-140.

“From a combined arms point of view, having that kind of capability on an airborne surveillance platform is very valuable to Canadian joint operations,” said one of the Royal Canadian Artillery instructors deployed to Operation IMPACT to conduct in-theatre training on PSS-SOF. “The more accurate the information provided the better.”

The integration of the PSS-SOF software is one of a number of new capabilities being integrated as part of the LRP Roadmap devised for the CP-140. Future software and hardware capabilities will be integrated in the near future as the aircraft evolves in its overland role and increases its overall mission effectiveness.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If only people would now push for a turret with a LD and config the bomb bay for...

Back