• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Navy Traditions

navymich

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
The funny thing is, if you google tiddly, it gives you the definition of "besotted, very drunk".  But I have found this one for you:

Canadian sailors, like sailors the world over, have devoted much attention to the business of appearing distinguished - and distinct. In naval lingo, this is known as looking "tiddley," (tiddley being the seaman's term for neat or smart, something that must be fussed over).  http://www.navalandmilitarymuseum.org/resource_pages/sailor_life/tiddley.html

Ahhh...as in "the F-18 demo pilot adjusted the air-to-air mirrors in his canopy to see himself instead, so that he could confirm that he was looking just tiddily as he taxied past the airshow crowd."  >:D

navymich said:
The funny thing is, if you google tiddly, it gives you the definition of "besotted, very drunk".  But I have found this one for you:

Canadian sailors, like sailors the world over, have devoted much attention to the business of appearing distinguished - and distinct. In naval lingo, this is known as looking "tiddley," (tiddley being the seaman's term for neat or smart, something that must be fussed over).  http://www.navalandmilitarymuseum.org/resource_pages/sailor_life/tiddley.html

Thanks for educating our Air Force friend mich. You're pretty "close up" there matie. It seems like our traditions are being lost quickly...it's good to keep this stuff alive....when we went green and integrated in the late sixties a lot of traditions were lost. There was a brief time of revival in the late seventies but once the old timers started retiring and the new technologies started coming in....we began to lose traditions again.

Yours aye
the Sin Bosun

Ahh Duey?  Before you ask: "closed up": one who is knowledgeable on something. 

And In Hoc Signo, thank you for the compliment.  I try hard onboard to keep traditions alive.  I hate to talk about them as "kids", but that's what they are.  And there aren't as many oldtimers around anymore to pass out the info.  When I find myself explaining everything from levees, to dressing ship, to crossing the line ceremonies, and everything in between, it is quite sad.  Why even this morning, as I was doing colours, I had a kilick ask me why we rang the bell 8 times  :eek:

He asked you what?  Where was this?  Don't they teach traditions on NETP?  I know as a 00299 that we are taught that on our QL3 course, but come on here people, everyone in the navy should have the basic understanding of naval traditions and ceremonies

So Sub_Guy, shall we continue to follow each other around from thread to thread? LOL

Yes, that is what he asked.  I have no idea what they teach on NETP anymore, but I am definitely going to look into that.  And even if they do teach it, as was discussed a couple posts up, the traditions talk just isn't being kept up.  Most sailors now know WHAT to do, they just never seem to know WHY we do stuff.

navymich said:
Ahh Duey?  Before you ask: "closed up": one who is knowledgeable on something.

And In Hoc Signo, thank you for the compliment.  I try hard onboard to keep traditions alive.  I hate to talk about them as "kids", but that's what they are.  And there aren't as many oldtimers around anymore to pass out the info.  When I find myself explaining everything from levees, to dressing ship, to crossing the line ceremonies, and everything in between, it is quite sad.  Why even this morning, as I was doing colours, I had a kilick ask me why we rang the bell 8 times  :eek:

Yo...dis brutha be tight wit dat!
afro.gif

Seeing as I'm learning a fair bit from this, and if you folks (oops, apologies Mich) don't mind diverging a bit from the original thread...

Regarding "ready" and "aye", why is it that ready sometimes leads aye (as in "ready, aye ready") and other times follows it (ready aye)?  I'm presuming "aye" is like an army or aviator's "ack"...

Just wonderin',

Cheers
Duey

Duey said:
Seeing as I'm learning a fiir bit from this, and if you gents don't mind diverging a bit from the original thread...
I don't know about them, but I don't (if you look at my profile, I don't quite fall under that title LOL.  I may be more of a sailor then a lady but still.....)

the only conceivable response was the historic "British answer to the call to duty: 'Ready, aye, ready'."
http://www.dfait-maeci.gc.ca/hist/canada4-en.asp#ready

AYE AYE The derivation of this is generally thought to be unknown, but some experts think it may possibly come from the German "Eiey!" - an exclamation of astonishment or admiration.
http://www.royal-navy.mod.uk/server/show/nav.3805

But pretty much we say "aye aye" in place of "yes sir, right away sir" type thing.  And "aye" as a bit of a short form.

navymilch and Sub Guy - When I did the "OSCAB", NETP in 96/97 as I recall they really did not cover much of the traditions of the Navy.  We have a current "Old Man" who is big on tradition and insists on having both bugle and full pipes made over the broadcast.  Needless to say I cannot think of too many who are keen on the Dinner pipe.

I remember in the 90's the Air Force published a booklet for dissemenation amongst the Wings on the history and traditions.  It was an interesting read, if slightly in-accurate in some places to my understanding.  Albatross vice Golden Eagle as the incorrect identification for example.  If the Navy could spare the cash they should consider a move like this too before too much corporate memory is lost.  All the Old Salts are leaving us a a regular rate both Vets and those who were in just at around the end of the RCN.

Enzo, on my first trip to Rosevelt Roads Naval Base in Puerto Rico aka Rosey Roads there was a drunken sot who did cross the brow at around 0300 hrs, dressed in a palm tree thong.  Apparently he had neglected to remeber where his clothes had been mislaid.  Another guy had his strung over his shoulder and also was buck naked.  He did not want to get his clothes "salty" apparently.  Nowadays I would not like to be the one who came back to the ship in that condition, they seem to have lost their sense of humor for that sort of thing.  However there is hope in my shop for some sea stories.  We have a young guy who is an "Old Time Sailor", he would have fit in 40 - 60 years ago perfectly.  He does surprise us from time to time.  Bless him.

When I did my OSAQB in '93, we did learn a bit of traditions, but come to think of it now, not much.  However, when I did basic in '91, we covered alot of ceremonial and traditions then.  With us, we have full pipes for everything.  Hands to Dinner I can handle, but I dread the days when I'm not already up by 7.  Wakey-wakey has got to be one of the worst things to wake up too (bongbongs being up there too  ;D )

(BTW jollyjacktar, it's navymich.  Thought you might have just mistyped it the first time...thanks  :D)

IN HOC, I'm tracking you so far, except for the "action"...is that any movie with CPO Casey Rybeck (a.k.a. Steven Seagal)?  ;D  Truth be told, I infiltrated the cave on a few occasions in Esquimalt in my earlier days...I can neither confirm nor deny, but some JR's from the senior service may have somehow thought that I was a radar techn from North Bay... >:D (the bands rocked on a Friday night!)

Funny how retiring seems to maintain the same self-destructive tone no matter the service, i.e. "swallow the anchor", "pull the pin", "go for a big-a$$ed paycheck at Air Canada"...errrr, nevermind belay that last thought .  ;)

Cheers,
Duey

Duey said:
IN HOC, I'm tracking you so far, except for the "action"...is that any movie with CPO Casey Rybeck (a.k.a. Steven Seagal)?  ;D  Truth be told, I infiltrated the cave on a few occasions in Esquimalt in my earlier days...I can neither confirm nor deny, but some JR's from the senior service may have somehow thought that I was a radar techn from North Bay... >:D (the bands rocked on a Friday night!)

Funny how retiring seems to maintain the same self-destructive tone no matter the service, i.e. "swallow the anchor", "pull the pin", "go for a big-a$$ed paycheck at Air Canada"...errrr, nevermind belay that last thought .  ;)

Cheers,
Duey

Ha ha...yes I forgot the word film. Rybeck is my hero...I've known some cooks in my time but none of them looked like him...ha ha...most of em had a huge sh.tlocker!
What about "pull pole"? Army term.
Yeah you Air Force types are alway agitating...big a$$ed pay checks indeed!

IN HOC ah screw the other thread.  I did read the article on the JSS and it made me mad, again.  I hate to think of Irving having the contract to build these ships.  We are still suffering from the refit we just went through with those people.  And years after the previous refit at that yard we were still coming across situations where work was done incorrectly or not at all.  Yes, yes I know, QA should take some of the blame for past mistakes, but dammit it was Irving who did the work to begin with.  Every ship coming out of there recently is having to overcome all sorts of problems stemming from the refit conducted there.

The Halifax is falling apart and has had more new steel put into her than you could shake a stick at.  She is not that old for Christ's sake.  There is no way IMHO that anything JSS built by them would last as long as we will be forced to try to make and mend with, as is happening now.  The folks from the Puzzle Palace came onboard in 99 and promised 4 not 3 ships in the water by 05.  Here it is 06 and these monkeys are now saying 3 by 13. UNSAT!!!!!  I am tired of getting screwed by the Feds et al.  And I am sure I am not alone in this.

:rage:

IN HOC SIGNO said:
I think a lack of person power and so much on the agenda nowadays....gotta get your French...gotta get your OPMEs....this course that course...has taken away the time we had to do tiddily ropework, practice seamanship skills...we had a regatta in Esquimalt every spring and summer to practice boatwork, sailing, war canoe...and generally have a great banyan afterwards...oh yeah tug o war...where I ruined my back for the rest of my career...ha ha  :crybaby:
You'll be happy to know that they are trying to re-institute the regatta.  There was one last Friday, and unfortunately I was on duty and unable to attend.  The comments I heard back were semi-positive.  Food was good, events were varied and interesting.  The crews on the MCDV's felt left out abit as they were lacking in personnel requirements for some events (no divers, FF or hull techs), but still made a great effort.  And with this being the first year back for the regatta, hopefully lessons will be learned and they will continue to run it.  This will definitely improve camaraderie throughout the dockyard.

IN HOC SIGNO said:
How do we interest our young folks in this when they seem more prone to play Nintendo or watch an action (American) in the cave? (that's the Jr Ranks Mess, Duey)
I guess you probably don't want to know what the trend is now then?  Cover your eyes....they hook up X-Boxes between all of the messes and have a great time playing HALO and such between everyone.

navymich said:
When I did my OSAQB in '93, we did learn a bit of traditions, but come to think of it now, not much.  However, when I did basic in '91, we covered alot of ceremonial and traditions then.  With us, we have full pipes for everything.  Hands to Dinner I can handle, but I dread the days when I'm not already up by 7.  Wakey-wakey has got to be one of the worst things to wake up too (bongbongs being up there too  ;D )

(BTW jollyjacktar, it's navymich.  Thought you might have just mistyped it the first time...thanks  :D)

I still have my large handout that they gave us when I did OSQAB in 90, usually go through it now and then for fun. It did cover a few things in regards to traditions but not as much as I would have liked, but imagine there are lots of good books on that available. I remember when CTV did a special on the Vancouver they used alot of terminology and slang I had never heard of before so not sure if it was some guys pulling their legs or they dug deep into history books.

As for pipes (and I'm tone deaf so was utterly horrible at it), once on the Algonquin coming back from Diego, and not a great trip, someone played Sloop John B as our wakey-wakey. For those that know the words the CO, XO were not impressed, but great for us. On the Yukon we had one guy that did a great Aussie wakey-wakey. Great in that if you were already on watch so didn't have to wake up to it.

Court

jollyjacktar said:
Enzo, on my first trip to Rosevelt Roads Naval Base in Puerto Rico aka Rosey Roads there was a drunken sot who did cross the brow at around 0300 hrs, dressed in a palm tree thong.  Apparently he had neglected to remeber where his clothes had been mislaid.  Another guy had his strung over his shoulder and also was buck naked.  He did not want to get his clothes "salty" apparently.  Nowadays I would not like to be the one who came back to the ship in that condition, they seem to have lost their sense of humor for that sort of thing.  However there is hope in my shop for some sea stories.  We have a young guy who is an "Old Time Sailor", he would have fit in 40 - 60 years ago perfectly.  He does surprise us from time to time.  Bless him.

At RIMPAC '04 two guys came back to the ship naked because they went skinnydipping at some beach and had their clothes stolen.  Why two guys were skinnydipping, it was never established, but it was funny as hell for everyone aboard up to and including CO, XO and 'swain.  And I actually have tons of stories, from not (comparatively) a great deal of sea time, so it's not all lost.  Like the guys locked inside a gentlemen's club in Tokyo because they couldn't pay the bill, requiring actual diplomatic intervention on their behalf.  And so forth; but of course stories like that should stay inboard...

Something we do is send the new guys back to "talk" with the Buffer if they insist on using the wrong terminology for something.  That can be a sobering experience and wll make you call them "flats" for the rest of your days.

Duey said:
Yo...dis brutha be tight wit dat!
afro.gif

Seeing as I'm learning a fair bit from this, and if you folks (oops, apologies Mich) don't mind diverging a bit from the original thread...

Regarding "ready" and "aye", why is it that ready sometimes leads aye (as in "ready, aye ready") and other times follows it (ready aye)?  I'm presuming "aye" is like an army or aviator's "ack"...

Just wonderin',

Cheers
Duey

Duey, this one I can help you with. 

Aye is used in the North of England and the South of Scotland for "Yes" - right enough.  However it also means "always".  As in "She's aye whinging aboot me bein' doon the pub and haein' a wee half."

Ready, Aye Ready = Ready, always ready.

Cheers from the resident lowlander. ;)

Kirkhill said:
Duey, this one I can help you with. 

Aye is used in the North of England and the South of Scotland for "Yes" - right enough.  However it also means "always".  As in "She's aye whinging aboot me bein' doon the pub and haein' a wee half."

Ready, Aye Ready = Ready, always ready.

Cheers from the resident lowlander. ;)

Aaaach, thanks KH!

Slainte! (insert sipping Dalwhinnie double-matured, or a 18yr Highland Park here)
Duey

Back