• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Navy Traditions

Rhibwolf, I followed your lead and looked it up too.  What I find interesting is the stories that sidetracked me along the way.  I think I could have searched and read forever.

Kye must have made an impression on this veteran who actually put it in the title of his book ("Kye and Soogie") that he wrote to share his story of his time on the Corvettes.
Kye was a thick brew of heavy and fatty chocolate, served hot and considered a lifesaving elixir by wet and freezing young Corvette crewmen serving seemingly endless watches on North Atlantic convoy duty.

Reading an article of the Navy News from the RAN regarding Food in the Navy:
At 2100 we had kye - slab cocoa

Most of the stories that I found had positive memories of Kye, but the description in this article made me wonder:
Within an hour someone would go for "Kye" - that thick Naval cocoa, with a skin on it like a rubber disc! - and almost white with the cocoa butter encapsulated in it!

One of my favourites is Stand Easy, and especially on Fridays, when I typically wander down to the galley and start "quality assurance testing" at about 0930ish.  Your dit about the rubberised disk on top of the kye reminded me of this, an excerpt from Cdr Mark Watson's book on the Log Branch.

"My Uncle Gordon Dark retired from the Navy as a Chief Petty Officer Cook. Gordon was instrumental in my career when I was a young Naval officer. I frequently sought his advice and often got it whether I asked or not. Retired Chiefs are like that! In the early part of my naval career whilst serving as a Sub-lieutenant in HMCS MACKENZIE, I found myself placed in charge of the galley, the 8 or 9 cooks and the cooking function for 250 people. I was honoured! It was only later that I realized that any Supply Officer worth his salt was going to dump this job as quickly as he could. I didn't know any better so I threw myself into this task with total enthusiasm but very little knowledge. However, I found it very difficult to relate to my cooks. For those that have taken the time to study them, cooks are a really weird breed. I really wanted to do my job but somehow I felt that there was a great big wall between me and my culinary troops. They tended to view my efforts with about the same amount of appreciation they gave to the cleaning efforts of a cockroach. Cooks in the navy are a unique breed and I was totally unable to pierce the barriers that they habitually erected against all non-cooks. In desperation, I turned to my Uncle Gordon. Uncle Gordon suggested that I certainly was not going to be able to impress them with my knowledge of their trade, which was minimal or even less. However, I could get some "points" by demonstrating to the cooks that I cared for them and their product and that I was trying to do my job and should not be ignored. Wander down to the galley in the middle of the morning, suggested Gordon, and you are likely to find the day's soup bubbling in a huge vat. In the galley, you will find a row of tasting spoons. Take one and be seen by the cooks to examine it closely to ensure it is clean, a mark of a professional, and be prepared to comment if it is not. Take a ladle of the soup, sniff it, sip a tiny bit and throw the rest in the sink. Then carefully wash and replace the testing spoon. Now call the Petty Officer cook over and advise him that the soup needs a bit more salt. This is an opinion and he cannot fault you for an opinion. But don't tarry to argue. Leave as soon as you've made your pronouncement. So suggested Uncle Gordon.
The next morning, armed with my strategic plan, I ventured forth to bring my cooks to heel. Sure enough, there was the soup right where it should have been. I have to admit, it was a revolting looking concoction and it didn't smell all that appetizing either. But I bravely hauled down a tasting spoon and proceeded. The spoon was clean and I took it over to the soup tureen. Into this grey bubbling mixture, I dipped my spoon, sniffed, sipped and put the stuff back. I resisted the temptation to run out and clean out my mouth and carefully cleaned the tasting spoon. I then turned to Petty Officer Smith who was hovering nearby with a somewhat curious expression on his face.
"Petty Officer Smith, this soup needs more salt."  I turned to go as I had been instructed. However, my attention was caught by the sight of Petty Officer Smith sliding down the bulkhead and then, having slid as far as he could, sitting on the floor and laughing so hard that tears were rolling down his face. It is really hard to walk out on something like that, especially when you think you might be involved. "Sir", gasped Petty Officer Smith, "I know what you are trying to do. I think its great. I really do, sir, but there's no soup in that pot. Actually, we're boiling the deck rags." After that day, I ruled my galley from afar, rarely venturing anywhere near it and the galley staff appeared to like this arrangement and seemed to get along just fine without my constant attention.
Servitium nulli secundus

:rofl:  Did you tell your Uncle Gordon about that incident?  I'll bet he is still laughing if you did.

As a young MARS officer with a historical bent, I am interested in the old traditions and background of things. Fortunately the jimmy is all about traditions, so I have picked up some good stuff from him, the only interesting part of the ROs is the quotes and trivia at the end of them that he puts in. However, I can't remember being told why the ships bell is rung 8 times among other things. Though I do know that all good navy stories are supposed to start with "Back in the Steamer days..."

8 bells is the end of the watch

1 bell on the half hour

2 bells at the end of one hour
4 bells at the end of 2 hours
6 bells at the end of 3 hours
8 bells at the end of four hours

Hence 8 bells at 0800 since its the end of the morning watch.

Also goes back to the days of sail. Not the steamers.

Ask and ye shall receive young mars-bar. Time as Marked by Bells

Alternatively......

Watches in the Royal Navy are named as follows: First Watch8pm to midnight2000 to 0000 Middle WatchMidnight to 4am0000 to 0400 Morning Watch4am to 8am0400 to 0800 Forenoon Watch8am to noon0800 to 1200 Afternoon WatchNoon to 4pm1200 to 1600 First Dog Watch4pm to 6pm1600 to 1800 Last Dog Watch6pm to 8pm1800 to 2000 The "Relieve Decks" is worked by the Officer(s) of the Watch only from 0730 to 0800. Each watch is of four hours, except the "dog watches" which are two hours. A bell is rung every half hour, and the total number of bells in a watch (except the "dog watch") is therefore eight. Eight bells announces the end of a watch. One bell announces that half an hour has passed, and so on to its end. Members of a watch can then tell, from the number of bells sounded, just how much of their watch has passed. Dog Watches The name probably comes for DODGE WATCH: by making in this way a total of seven watches to the day, men would be enabled not to keep the same watch each day. The suggestion that the name DOG comes from a dog watch being a watch cur-tailed is too frivolous to be authentic. A dog watch being two hours long while all other watches are of four hours' duration gives rise to the common Naval expression of derision to a junior: "You've only been in the Navy a dog watch". The custom of striking 1-2-3-8 bells in the last dog watch, instead of 5-6-7-8, is said to have originated in 1797; the mutineers at the Nore timed their mutiny to start at "five bells in the dog watches" on 13th May, 1797, but the officers got to hear of this and directed that five bells should not be struck then. Since then, one bell has been struck at 6.30pm. Some foreigners still carry out the old routine, but most have come into line with us. In the Royal Navy, the two Dog Watches are the "First" and the "Last" not the "First" and the "Second". In everyone's mess but nobody's watch An old Naval expression used to describe a man who talks a lot but avoids actual work as much as he can - a good hand in the canteen but never available when there is work to be done.

http://www.royal-navy.mod.uk/server/show/nav.3827

The USN qualifies as "some foreigners".

I don't know about the current CF but back in the 70's the standard for the Dogs was still 1234-1238.

Thanks...

another question what would you think would be a better name than Acting Sub-Lieutenant. I know that the rank of Sub-Lieutenant goes back to Jarvis's naval reforms in 1804, but Acting Sub-Lieutenant is one of the most designed by commitee names in the CF.

Hey Mich, maybe they should bring back keelhauling as well.  Heck, reading some of the things you have written here even I know more about naval traditions than your sailors and you know what colour my uniform was.  My personal favourite was banyans  :cheers:

Banyan --
A barbecue or party, usually with steaks and beer. The term is derived from ‘banian’, a garment worn by an East Indian sect which neither kills nor eats meat (‘Banyan’ is a species of tree). In the 18th century, the British navy denied its sailors meat on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays; these days were known as ‘banian (or Banyan) days.’ The term has now come to mean just the opposite.

Keelhaul --
A punishment which was particularly harsh and usually fatal was keel-hauling, awarded for serious offences, and discontinued in the Royal Navy about 1720. It was still practised in the Dutch and French navies until 1750.

A Stout line was rove through a block on the lower yardarm on each side of the ship. One end was secured under the arms and around the chest of the offender whose wrists were secured behind his back. From the other yard the line went under the ship, as a bottom line, and was secured around the man's ankles. On the word of the captain the boatswain ordered the man hoisted off the deck and clear of the bulwarks; slack was taken down on the bottom line, and as it was hauled in the line around the man's chest was slacked away. In this way he was hauled under the ship, and came up on the other side feet first. With both lines taut the man was slung in such a way that his stomach, chest and face were dragged across the barnacles of the keel, and in addition he was at least partially drowned.

An incidental feature of this cruel punishment is that the longer the ship was out of port after docking the less was a man's chance of living through the ordeal of being keel-hauled. As if this treatment were not enough it was the practice to fire a gun, usually unshotted, above the man as he was hauled up out of the sea, "in order to astonish and confound him". Perhaps this is the true origin of the Rogue's Salute previously mentioned.

www.readyayeready.com

Yes macqueen, but you had the misfortune (or was it US that had the misfortune...lol) of being grounded in a stone frigate.  ;)

navymich said:
Yes macqueen, but you had the misfortune (or was it US that had the misfortune...lol) of being grounded in a stone frigate.  ;)

Awe, admit it, you miss me  :soldier:

Phrontis said:
I submit myself for flogging around the Fleet.

flogging --

The most common type of punishment, inflicted for almost any crime at the discretion of the captain, was flogging with a cat-o'-nine-tails. This was carried out "according to the customs of the service", namely at the gangway. At the time of Trafalgar a man who was to be flogged was given twenty-four hours in which to make his own cat. He was kept in leg-irons on the upper deck while awaiting his punishment. When the cat was made the boatswain cut out all but the best nine tails. If the tak was not completed in time the punishment was increased.

With heads uncovered to show respect for the law, the ship's company heard read the Article of War the offender had contravened. The prisoner was then brought forward, asked if he had anything to say in mitigation of punishment, then removed his shirt and had his hands secured to the rigging or a grating above his head. At the order "Boatswain's mate, do your duty" a sturdy seaman stepped forward with the cat -- a short rope or wodden handle, often red in colour, to which was attached nine waxed cords of equal length, each with a small knot in the end. With this the man was lashed on the bare back with a full sweep of the arm. After each dozen lashes a fresh boatswain's mate stepped forward to continue the punishment. Each blow of the cat tore back the skin and subsequent cuts bit right into the flesh so that after several dozen lashes had been inflicted the man's back resembled raw meat. After each stroke the cords were drawn through the boatswain's mates fingers to remove the clotting blood. Left-handed boatswain's mates were especially popular with sadistic captains because they would cross the cuts and so mangle the flesh even more.

After the man was cut down he was taken to the sick berth, there to have salt rubbed into his wounds. This was done not so much to increase the pain as for its antiseptic qualities.

At one time men were literally flogged to death with a hundred lashes or more. The figure three hundred has been mentioned in history, and in the time of Czar Nicholas II a common punishment in Russia was one-thousand lashes; Peter the Great had limited the number in the Russian army to two-hundred. As late as the early 17th century a thousand lashes was a punishment for mutiny and other serious offences in the British forces; this was more prolonged than hanging but just as fatal.

From 1750 into the 19th century twelve lashes were the maximum authorised for any one offence. The famous admirals Jervis (Lord St. Vincent) and Collingwood rarely exceeded this maximum except in the case of a double offence. It is recorded that they punished fewer men than captains who awarded more than the maximum. Nelson usually sentenced men to less than a dozen lashes, occasionally as many as eighteen, and rarely twenty-four. In ships of the line, with companies of up to 550 men, the more merciful captains punished about sixteen men a year, while some others punished over fifty. Not taken into account in the records were unofficial punishments, which were quite prevalent, and which will be mentioned later in this chapter.

www.readyayeready.com

Back