• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Navy Traditions

Please forgive me for inserting my nose into this, I may not have much sea time, but My family has always been involved in the Navy (family job).  The traditions of the navy have fallen by the wayside iot make life easier for those that are too lazy to do a job right.  We need those traditions to hold fast otherwise well end up just another part of the army.

PingBosn said:
Please forgive me for inserting my nose into this, I may not have much sea time, but My family has always been involved in the Navy (family job).  The traditions of the navy have fallen by the wayside iot make life easier for those that are too lazy to do a job right.  We need those traditions to hold fast otherwise well end up just another part of the army.

Maybe once you have more sea time you will see that certain traditions have no place in todays navy.

Ex-Dragoon said:
Maybe once you have more sea time you will see that certain traditions have no place in todays navy.

Okay Ex-D, you've got my curiosity piqued.  Such as.....?

navymich said:
Okay Ex-D, you've got my curiosity piqued.  Such as.....?
Maybe he means "Rum, Sodomy and The Lash" no longer belong?  Or is that still on their recruiting posters/Press Gang Trucks ;D

von Garvin said:
Maybe he means "Rum, Sodomy and The Lash" no longer belong?  Or is that still on their recruiting posters/Press Gang Trucks ;D
Shush you, this is still a serious topic.  You're going to get it moved to Radio Chatter if you don't stay in your lane... ;)

As for Rum, that always belongs in the Navy.  We could also talk about what traditions should be brought back...mmmm, daily rum tots.

navymich said:
Shush you, this is still a serious topic.  You're going to get it moved to Radio Chatter if you don't stay in your lane... ;)

As for Rum, that always belongs in the Navy.  We could also talk about what traditions should be brought back...mmmm, daily rum tots.

I don't remember which thread this was originally in, but I'll repost it here.  ;)

http://www.admfincs.forces.gc.ca/admfincs/subjects/cfao/036-35_e.asp

CFAO 36-35 -- SPIRIT ISSUE

PURPOSE

1. This order prescribes the policy and regulating guidelines governing the issue of spirits in the Canadian Forces.

AUTHORIZATION

2. With the approval of the senior officer present, the commanding officer of a ship or submarine may authorize an issue of spirits when exceptional circumstances justify the issue.

3. With the approval of the officer commanding the command, the commanding officer of a fleet diving unit may authorize an issue of spirits to those personnel specifically and directly employed in a diving operation.

4. With the approval of the officer commanding the command, an officer who is in command of a base or station, or an officer of or above the rank of major who is in command of a unit or other element, may authorize an issue of spirits to personnel:

a. who are performing their duties under unusual and difficult
conditions that are sufficiently adverse to warrant the issue as
a morale booster; and

b. serving at a location remote from the permanent facilities
normally occupied by that base, unit or other element.

5. When an issue of spirits is authorized under paragraph 2, 3 or 4, the issue:
a. shall not be repeated in any 24-hour period;
b. should be made only at the conclusion of the day or activity when personnel have returned to shelter and are not likely to be called out for duty for at least eight hours; and
c. shall not exceed 70 ml (2 fl oz) per person per day.

6. When the order "Splice the Main Brace" is given in a ship, every member is entitled to receive a special issue of 87.5 Ml (2.5 fl oz) per person of spirits.

7. The order "Splice the Main Brace" may only be given by:
a. a member of the Royal Family:
b. the Governor General of Canada: or
c. the Chief of the Defence Staff.

8. A medical officer may authorize a special issue of spirits to personnel who require it for medical reasons.

9. Spirits shall not be issued in any circumstances other than those specified in this order without the approval of NDHQ DGPS (Director General Personnel Services).

10. Public issue spirits shall not be for resale.

(C) 1605-36-35 (DPERA)
Issued 1989-08-04

INDEX

Rations
Rum
Spirits
Supply

I have question: why do we breack a bottle of fine champagne on ships to christian them? Why such a waste?

One of the oldest customs still practised is that relating to the launching of a new ship. The oldest reference to this custom is that of an Assyrian tablet, believed to have been carved about 2100 B.C., on which the inscription tells of the building of Noah's Ark, and of the launching that a yoke of oxen was sacrificed. In similar manner the Fiji islanders and the Samoans made human sacrifice to the sharks, which to them were gods, and washed down their new canoes in the victims' blood. Viking legends tell of young men being crushed in sacrifice under the keels of ships being launched.

A later development, probably about the 14th century, was the custom of toasting the new vessel from silver wine goblets. The goblets were thrown into the sea to prevent further toasts, possibly of bad omen, being drunk. For reasons of economy a wine bottle was substituted in 1690. It was usual for a prince or other male member of royalty to smash the bottle against the bow, but after 1811 the honour was given to prominent ladies. A free swing was traditional until a spectator was injured and sued the Admiralty, and from that time a lanyard has been secured to the bottle. This is not always the case, at least on this continent; Mrs. Eisenhower, launching the world's first atomic-powered submarine U.S.S. Nautilus at Groton, Conn., in January 1954, used a champagne bottle without a lanyard. Some Canadian shipyards use a form of mechanical cradle containing a champagne bottle.

The custom is partly religious and partly pagan in origin, and it is by no means correct to assume that champagne is the only liquid used; it is currently in fashion, but in the past all alcoholic beverages have been employed, and even pure water has made the occasional appearance, especially in Moslem countries. It is still very much in the nature of sacrifice to smash a bottle of good liquor or wine.

http://www.readyayeready.com/tradition/customs-of-the-navy/7-more-customs.htm

Black Watch said:
I have question: why do we breack a bottle of fine champagne on ships to christian them? Why such a waste?

Wow Navy Mich is on the ball with that quote.
Funny story
When I was in Goose Bay (93-96) they renovated a new MIR building and asked me to come and bless the new building when it was time for the grand opening. I said that seeing as how I was a Navy Padre I thought it was a good idea to christen the building with a bottle of bubbly. The Wing Commander said OK so I went off to the liquor store only to find that there was no champagne in the store. I ended up buying a bottle of "Newfie Duck" At the ceremony the CE guys were looking very dismayed when I broke the bottle on the side of the building....afterwards one of them came up to me and said "Gee Padre did you have to go wasting a bottle of the good stuff?!"  :crybaby:

I must admit: the navy sure have good traditions.  Hearts of Oak indeed! :cheers:

von Garvin said:
I must admit: the navy sure have good traditions.  Hearts of Oak indeed! :cheers:

The Navy has to have a heart somewhere....LOL

Make sure you have sound on

Great.  I go to that link and then my IE closes with an error message :(

*Pssst:  Don't tell anyone, but I was a Sea Cadet when I was 12 until I was 15.  I spent time at QUADRA for two summers and I was in the band!  I know my "Heart of Oak", but my favourite was "Life on the Ocean Wave".  Remember, TELL NOBODY!*

von Garvin said:
Great.  I go to that link and then my IE closes with an error message :(

*Pssst:  Don't tell anyone, but I was a Sea Cadet when I was 12 until I was 15.  I spent time at QUADRA for two summers and I was in the band!  I know my "Heart of Oak", but my favourite was "Life on the Ocean Wave".  Remember, TELL NOBODY!*

One time at band camp..... no worries, not only won't I tell anybody, I won't quote it either so it's not on display twice. ;)

navymich said:
One time at band camp.....
Yeah, right, I wish!  *sigh*  I was the geeky kid playing Tuba!  But I did get to play at halftime at a CFL game at the old Empire Stadium in Vancouver, and did a sunset ceremony in Victoria.  Very Cool for a young Upper Canadian!

Now, as for naval traditions (to keep this post on subject), I seem to remember "Kye" (or something like that) before lights out each evening.  As I recall, we'd line up for snacks, hot chocolate and the like.  Is that a naval thing?  I seem to recall former Cadets of RMC talking about it.

I wish I had the recipe for Kye because no hot chocolate I have had since tasted as good as that at Cornwallis.  - Trumpet.

I found this one:
http://www.iwm.org.uk/upload/package/20/lifeinww2/eat/eat7.htm

I'll have to give that one a try andpro.  Thanks much.

Having piqued my interest, I decided to search for the origin of the word kye. I came across the following. From the word kyish, meaning brown or muddied. (only one page with that nugget). Kye, old scottish for cows.  In the form of a name, it would be the place where cows graze. So, drawing a few dotted lines, cows make milk, which is in the recipe for modern kye, and it tends to be brownish or muddy.  Anyone want to add?

Back