• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

My Experinces

Same with me man. But hey, do you know, if we get in, and do our BMQ and SQ, do you know if we get to do our trades durring school, or do we have to wait till next summer? that would suck...

Now this is what I've heard, I maybe wrong but I will say it anyway.

We might be able to do SQ after BMQ during the summer. If not, the reserve unit will give us work to do during the summer, so we will be working all summer.

I'm not really sure. Maybe someone here can clarify this.

Joe, you should tell him there's a lot of money to be made in breaking the world record for a 10k run.  8)

Joe, you should tell him there's a lot of money to be made in breaking the world record for a 10k run.

Hmmm... Maybe I will mention that to him. If he can run like he says he can, he might just be interested! Any idea how much $$$ U get???

Not sure, I do know that they are professional runners and do so for money, and they make a good living. However if he can beat the Kenyans and Ethiopians, who are the worlds premiere distance runners, he will make quite a name for himself. Haile Gebreselassie  used to run 10km a day to school from a mud hut he lived in, every day, probably bare foot. If he's a white canadian running uberstar, he'll make more than enough money!

Island Ryhno said:
Not sure, I do know that they are professional runners and do so for money, and they make a good living. However if he can beat the Kenyans and Ethiopians, who are the worlds premiere distance runners, he will make quite a name for himself. Haile Gebreselassie  used to run 10km a day to school from a mud hut he lived in, every day, probably bare foot. If he's a white canadian running uberstar, he'll make more than enough money!

Hmph... I don't even know how long your average Infanteer runs, 5-7km's? Would that be good? I'm too new to know! Do most Infantry run 10kms or able too??? Reg force I suppose? My Sgt is a decent size fellow, about I'd say 5'11-6ft and at least 220lbs... He's built pretty good.... Hmm.. Maybe he read the speedometer wrong when he tested his running path! Lol....

I certainly cannot run 10km's, let alone even 5km's yet....  :-\

I certainly cannot run 10km's, let alone even 5km's yet....

If you want to improve your length of runs then I have some advice for you, every new week your running add some more distance to your last run. I did this and progressed in no time, just make sure that while your doing your runs your not getting too much pain, and if it really hurts lay off for a week or you'll find yourself sitting around for five weeks because of shin splints as I found out the hard way :(. Plus if you add more distance and get more intense in your runs then you'll get a "runners high", absolutely love those, felt as if I could go on forever.

Good luck

If you want to improve your length of runs then I have some advice for you, every new week your running add some more distance to your last run. I did this and progressed in no time, just make sure that while your doing your runs your not getting too much pain, and if it really hurts lay off for a week or you'll find yourself sitting around for five weeks because of shin splints as I found out the hard way Sad. Plus if you add more distance and get more intense in your runs then you'll get a "runners high", absolutely love those, felt as if I could go on forever.

Good luck

Thanks a lot actually, I'll try that out. I figured that just trying for slightly more distance each time, even if it's only a little, was the way to go. I have to admit I'm one of those lazy bastards who can do a bunch of situps and pushups but was scared of running and didn't start practicing until 3/4 way through BMQ, when I realized I sucked...

Thanks again though.

Another good way of training to build up your cardio is doing running in intervals this saying... start off at a good pace for 5mins, run hard for 5mins, slow down for 5, and then again run hard for 5. And keep doing this until ur really tired not until it hurts. But don't do this training everyday it's a good idea to do this 2-3times a week. Then go for a long run but at a slower pace for the other days.. start at 20mins, then just keep working your way up maybe 23mins the next time do that run, then 25...and so on, but remember don't over do it.

my trainer told me this method is very effective for starting out. He runs marathons and trains NHL players.. :)

just a little something  ;D

ScottyeH this is good advise, have you ever seen a fat Sprinter? me neither.  As for the 5mins thats alittle long for a full out sprint for alot of people.  may i suggest using 1 minute intervals you jog at a nice pace (50-70%of hart rate) for 40 seconds then sprint as hard as u can go for 20 seconds.  you do this for 10 minutes slowly improving your overall length. (10mins 1 week, 12 mins next week) hope this makes sense.  you can also do this on a stationary bike or tread mill etc but outside is the best.

Basically:

warm up for 5mins (jumping rope, slow jog, stretching, what ever)
then jog for 40 seconds then sprint for 20 seconds then jog for 40 seconds then sprint for 20 seconds.  keep this up DO NOT stop at all for the entire 10 minutes.  it sounds easy on paper or Forum but it gets hard.

Very good advise, and thanks... I bike a lot and I'd rather excercise that way because it's cardiovascular also, but will it really help my stamina? Or should I just get over it and run for practice because that way I'll get used to it???

I figure if I bike 2-3 times a week (avg of 15km's) and run in practice sessions similar to what you guys are saying, I should be able to get up to a decent cardiovascular/stamina level no? 2 months or so and I should be able to do 5km? That's my goal anyway...

Joe

I find that biking is crap. Utter crap. Better than nothing, but nothing near sprinting or jogging even... I could ride miles and miles on bike. Since I decided to apply to the CF, I started running. I was in for a big surprise. I almost died when I first started running. Now I can run like Gump. I did all kinds of bicycling too... even the excercise bikes on highest resistance wasn't as good as actually getting out and going for a run yourself... since that's what you're gonna be doin during all of your training anyways. ;)

You're not biking hard enough. Put it in 21st gear or however high your bike goes and ride around like that all the time. Also hit as many hills as possible, it will help. Anything that gets your heart rate up is good, BUT you can only get good at running, by running, there is no substitute!  8)

It all depends on the person.. some people love cycling, therefore it's a great choice of training for them. In the end, running will do it for you, in a short span of time. I run really well, always have. But somedays I don't feel like hitting the track, so I head out on the bike -- like you said, it's better than nothing.

I think Running is way better for ya too, BUT you should mix up your routine or u will get borred of it it doesn't hurt you to ride your bike or treadmill or skipping rope instead or running its all good aslong as your active i find i have to switch up my running (take a break) or it gets way too boring. the break is nice. and never get discouraged i couldn't run for 10 feet when i started about 2.5 months ago now i doing 5 km in 28min i know its nothing special but i'm pussing 30 and am a little over weight at 5'9" 220lbs.  :eek:

I started getting up and going for a ride before school. It seems to be working for me. Im kinda hitting two birds with one stone by training myself to have less sleep, and im getting in better shape :D... its a good deal if you ask me

I run at night, usually around 9 o'clock. At that time I don't see many other runners, I hate being around other people when running.

Good news, I was just accepted into the PLF. I guess it's Infantry for me.

Waiting for the call still...

Talked to a medic today and he said he's sending in a form or whatever to prioritize my file. Gotta wait!

congratulations indeed. Yes, cycling is a nice break, but I find that even in 21st gear going up hill, it's mainly a muscle workout and not a big cardio workout.

Congratulations again

Back