• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Justin Trudeau hints at boosting Canada’s military spending

Exactly. And once the big conflict comes people will say “why didn’t the government warn us?”

It’s too late at this point. Nevermind international commitments, there is nothing, besides geography, from stopping a determined enemy taking control of vast portions of land. Our expert convening means nothing.

It’s too late at this point. Nevermind international commitments, there is nothing, besides geography, from stopping a determined enemy taking control of vast portions of land. Our expert convening means nothing.
The enemy doesn't even need to invade to take control of vast portions. CCP and the Globalist types are fighting over the spoils at this point.

I don’t think anyone wants our lands, except the Arctic perhaps. What they may want is us weak(ened) as a nation that borders the US and for the US to be in disarray as a nation (I think both our countries are close to that point…).

“Go for the gas trucks, not the tanks”

FmkoqHdWIAE8lLK

In the meantime Australia continues to forge ahead with its “damn-the-torpedoes-full speed-ahead”:approach to defence spending. If only our PM had some cajoles. Hell, even one would be an improvement.

In the meantime Australia continues to forge ahead with its “damn-the-torpedoes-full speed-ahead”:approach to defence spending. If only our PM had some cajoles. Hell, even one would be an improvement.

“Damn the torpedoes” isn’t always the best strategy for procurement.

Also, as I’ve noted in another thread, it’s also a bit of “oh this is expensive, let’s scale back what we’re planning to get” for their Army.

Last edited:

My auto-correct seems to have changed “cajones” to “cajoles”. Slight difference in meaning. LOL

My auto-correct seems to have changed “cajones” to “cajoles”. Slight difference in meaning. LOL
I can't wait till auto-correct has been replaced with AI and it just changes the whole sentence to something approved. :(
"this has be corrected to approved thought.....Your social credit score has been adjusted accordingly"

I don't even know who to respond to; the idle paranoia is so great, I should just give everyone a tin hat.

Anyways, outside of a major war that forces us to dramatically increase defence spending, I can't see Canada ever making significant and long-lasting increases to our defence spending and posture. And why should any government do that? We have no real existential threats. The only country we share a land border with is our biggest partner and best-friend. Someone mentioned that there may be those (China, Russia, US) interested in our Arctic resources, but that's not even an existential threat. We're hardly using them, it'd be expensive to develop them, and even more expensive to defend them. If someone really wanted to grab some of it, I'd expect a bigger reaction from the US than from us.

So, spending will ebb and flow as we involve ourselves with middle power politics and regional conflicts, but we'll never truly become a "world" military power because frankly, we don't need to be.

I don't even know who to respond to; the idle paranoia is so great, I should just give everyone a tin hat.

Anyways, outside of a major war that forces us to dramatically increase defence spending, I can't see Canada ever making significant and long-lasting increases to our defence spending and posture. And why should any government do that? We have no real existential threats. The only country we share a land border with is our biggest partner and best-friend. Someone mentioned that there may be those (China, Russia, US) interested in our Arctic resources, but that's not even an existential threat. We're hardly using them, it'd be expensive to develop them, and even more expensive to defend them. If someone really wanted to grab some of it, I'd expect a bigger reaction from the US than from us.

So, spending will ebb and flow as we involve ourselves with middle power politics and regional conflicts, but we'll never truly become a "world" military power because frankly, we don't need to be.

But we're 'Post-National' anyways, so it doesn't matter, right? ;)

Conrad Black: Canada could be a world power, but not without rethinking our goals​

Cease the feckless pursuit of popularity that is of little practical utility — Part of the A Serious Canada series

A new geopolitical order is taking shape. The globe is rapidly realigning under American and Chinese spheres of influence and the pandemic has only raised the stakes. How can Canada finally get serious about its internal stability and external security so it can effectively play a role as a middle power? That is the question this National Post series will answer. Today: Conrad Black on the past, present and future of the Canadian nation.
Without it ever having been a matter of national debate or even public articulation, Canada’s foreign policy has evolved in the post-Cold War era to one of relatively tenuous connection to traditional allies and a nebulous pursuit of popularity in the developing world. The end of the Cold War and of the bipolarized era has enabled Canada to play a relatively detached role that more accurately reflects the musings of its leaders than any identifiable strategic interest. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has said that Canada is “post-national” and has hotly pursued a temporary seat on the Security Council of the United Nations, unsuccessfully courting a large number of underdeveloped and questionably democratic countries. For much of its history Canada’s foreign policy was dictated by its comparative insecurity as an independent sovereign state. It can afford its present policy without danger to its security, but the point of it is not clear.

We're generally in agreement. But would you consider us middle power ? Do we even qualify for that.

I think for me the big take away is that Canada can continue as it is, but the Government and citizenry have to realize we become less and less of a voice on the world stage going down this path.

Back