• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Int Op trade tell me more and more reg force please

• Thread starter Thread starter navy_man
  • Start date Start date
ltmaverick25 said:
What is PRETC?  I havent heard that term before.

I believe it stands for 'Post Recruit Employment & Training Centre'

Any idea exactly how far backed up the Int O course is?  Reg force wise, how often is it run and how many guys do they load on it?

Is there a patter of start dates.  Ie every Sept and Every May?  Or has it been known to fluctuate each year?

ltmaverick25 said:
Is there a patter of start dates.  Ie every Sept and Every May?  Or has it been known to fluctuate each year?

Goto the http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/lf/Downloads/training_calendar-calendrier_d_entrainement-2009.xls

CFSMI

Basic Intelligence Officer PT 1(DL)    1/Sep/09  to  11/Sep/09
Basic Intelligence Officer  PT 2        20/May/09  to  14/Aug/09
Basic Intelligence Officer  PT 2        5/Jan/10  to  8/Apr/10

You can see that the DL portion starts in Sep and there will probably be another one in Jan.  They usually have two courses planned a year (all crses, 5A, BIOC, 6A, 6B.), but not necessarily conduct them.

Everyone who's kept this thread so information rich:

a Big Thanks :nod:

The_Dictat, your bit was especially helpful in my explaining to my wife what to maybe expect.
as well as that link you posted George,  the start dates really helps to make educucated guesses about the future.  It's a bit of a shame that the Int Op course is just under the time requirement for relocation assistance,  alas, it's what I signed up to do.

Does anyone you know by chance the likelihood of being posted to Pettawawa if requested?

And did you see the PsyOps Guys on Episode 3 of Battle School?
Can I expect to be on Ex like that?

Cheers

There is supposedly a QL5A course starting soon, and from what I have heard a good bet is for new guys to go to unit int cells to gain experience. Anyone care to speculate what this means for combat int/TIOC courses? Will they still be run, or will the lower level int cells be manned soley by badged int pers?

3 INT COY

QL5 Int Op Mod 1 RES 12-Aug-09 04-Sep-09
QL5 Int Op Mod 2 RES 02-Jul-09             28-Aug-09
QL5 Int Op Mod 1 RES 01-Jan-10 31-Mar-10

NFLD Sapper said:
3 INT COY

QL5 Int Op Mod 1 RES 12-Aug-09 04-Sep-09
QL5 Int Op Mod 2 RES 02-Jul-09             28-Aug-09
QL5 Int Op Mod 1 RES 01-Jan-10 31-Mar-10

Could you verify that Mod 2 and the actual Trg Days?  That looks fairly much like it could be a Mod 3 (Land).

Regular and Reserve Crses are run throughout the year.  Reservists on rare occassions can get on a Reg QL5A Crse, and the Branch encourages it verbally, but the School is a different matter.  Regular Force pers are getting onto Reserve Courses, but the School, again, can be problematic with their file keeping.

ark said:
This is your Intelligence Bible:

B-GL-357-001-FP-001

Chapters 1 & 2 provide a good introduction to what Military Intelligence is all about.

Actually, the bible for the Int Trade is B-GJ-005-200/FP-000 Joint Intelligence Doctrine.
B-GL-357-001/FP-001 is the Army version of B-GJ-005, but with more detail on army stuff such as IPB, ISTAR, HUMINT, etc.

The disclaimer at the front of B-GL-357-001 notwithstanding, a quick browse didn't turn-up anything that I would view as "classified/sensitive." Much of the info contained has been discussed in other forums, (e.g.) Canadian Forces Journal, Army Lessons Learned reports, Allied forces pubs/doctrine, etc).

Pubs like this are disseminated so that they can be reviewed and commented on. Its pretty hard to do that if its classified. The same goes for teaching purposes. Its when you start getting into the actual capabilities of equipment and tactics and procedures that you start treading on dangerous grounds.

Info on the Int Op trade can found here: http://www.forces.ca/html/intelligenceoperator_reg_en.aspx

and for Int O trade here: http://www.forces.ca/html/index.aspx?m=0&lang=en&sid=81&sm1=2&sm2=0&content=81&video=low&jId=82

The backlog for the BIOC is HUGE... last number I heard was 120.

BC, Psyops are handled by reservists coming from combat arms units.  Psyops is a PRes capability.  Psyops will work with intelligence in order to get the right feel from the ground in regards to the message that we want to send.  Int with Psyops analyst will assess the results of the campaign in order to make adjustments or to change approach.

George:  Res Int units have to adjust to the new course and its longer schedule.  Some of them were conducting the core course one summer and the land phase the next.  It is possible that 3 Int Coy have to complete a delta before going on.  Although Mod 1 might mean common phase with DL part already done.  And mod 2 means Land phase.  And perhaps the guy making the course calendar might have mixed up stuff.  Who knows...

That doesnt sound good.  My CT to reg force as INT O has been approved, they are just waiting for a BIOC spot now.  Looks like it will be a long wait.

George Wallace said:
Could you verify that Mod 2 and the actual Trg Days?  That looks fairly much like it could be a Mod 3 (Land).

Regular and Reserve Crses are run throughout the year.  Reservists on rare occassions can get on a Reg QL5A Crse, and the Branch encourages it verbally, but the School is a different matter.  Regular Force pers are getting onto Reserve Courses, but the School, again, can be problematic with their file keeping.

Straight from the National Calendar there George, latest one is VER 1 18 MAR 09 downloaded from the DIN thursday night.

popnfresh said:
There is supposedly a QL5A course starting soon, and from what I have heard a good bet is for new guys to go to unit int cells to gain experience. Anyone care to speculate what this means for combat int/TIOC courses? Will they still be run, or will the lower level int cells be manned soley by badged int pers?

While its best that folks coming off the Int Op course go to the Bde/fighter sqn int cells to gain experience, the reality is that you get sent where ever they need the bodies.

Not sure what you mean by "lower int cells?" Bde? Bn?

Retired AF Guy said:
While its best that folks coming off the Int Op course go to the Bde/fighter sqn int cells to gain experience,

I would even add the Int cells at 14 and 19 Wing as its presents some rather unique challenges.

I read somewhere in the forum that there is a cell in Halifax, that is Army and not reserve,  can anyone confirm this?  I know that It's not my choice, but if there's  glimmer of hope that I may stay in the city where I own my home, I'd like to look at it for awhile and wish.

If this cell exists, what is their function?  I get the feeling that they are not attached to a battle group? 

Can some one correct me?

I beleive you are correct.  3 Int Coy is located in Halifax.  They are a reserve Int Company.  However, JTF Atlantic is also located in Halifax and I would imagine that they have Int personel working there.

There are also a number of Naval Int Officers working in the Naval ops center out there.  Not sure if there are any NCM billets for that.

It would be worth putting down as your first choice.  If they do have a spot there, odds are they may give it to you to save costs of moving you ect...

ltmaverick25 said:
  If they do have a spot there, odds are they may give it to you to save costs of moving you ect...

There is no savings involved for the career manager.

BravoCharlie said:
I read somewhere in the forum that there is a cell in Halifax, that is Army and not reserve,  can anyone confirm this? 

Yes there is, and there is also one in Esquimault.  Both are Navy.  Both deal with activities on the open seas, Military and Civilian.

The_Dictat said:
George:  Res Int units have to adjust to the new course and its longer schedule.  Some of them were conducting the core course one summer and the land phase the next.  It is possible that 3 Int Coy have to complete a delta before going on.  Although Mod 1 might mean common phase with DL part already done.  And mod 2 means Land phase.  And perhaps the guy making the course calendar might have mixed up stuff.  Who knows...
NFLD Sapper said:
Straight from the National Calendar there George, latest one is VER 1 18 MAR 09 downloaded from the DIN thursday night.

I've noticed errors on that site already.  That or someone has justified the continuation of their job and a few brownie points on their next PER by renaming courses and shifting dates to the left or right by three or four days.  ;D

Back