• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Hey look, another one...

Status
Not open for further replies.
mellian said:
Yesterday I stated I have no plans to be involved or attend any protests for at least the near future. What happens? I find out today that Former President Bush is scheduled to come to Montreal October 22nd. That is frustratingly annoying.
Now, perhaps this is a bit of this:
:stirpot:

However...
What or why on God's green Earth would you even protest his visit?  What would you attempt to achieve?  What would your aim be?  In other words, what would make you walk away from the protest saying "we achieved our goal?"

Would it make you satisfied if he left or even cancelled his visit?  Are you protesting his visit to Canada?  Or is he going to Montreal to speak?  If so, are you opposed to him speaking? 

I get it that you didn’t like him as President of the USA.  I get that he was not the most popular president in history.  But, truth be told, Al Qaeda didn’t like him much either.  And please, don’t even start saying that he is (was?) a war criminal, fascist or anything like that. 

As stated elsewhere, protests are usually not that effective.  Start a petition and have it published, or send it to government.  But I caution you, if you don’t want him to come and speak because you don’t like what he has to say, I can only say “get over it”.  We live in a country that has as one of its most cherished traits Free Speech.  That includes G.W. Bush, Barack Obama and even Gilles Duceppe. 

If someone were coming whom I felt was “unsavoury”, then I would most likely let them speak, so that others could see how stupid they really are.

But that’s just me.

mellian said:
Yesterday I stated I have no plans to be involved or attend any protests for at least the near future. What happens? I find out today that Former President Bush is scheduled to come to Montreal October 22nd. That is frustratingly annoying.

YOU GO GIRL !! Surely, this time he will care for what you and your friends have to say...  ::)

Hey.  I hear you about being interested in many things, but not quite sure about what you want to do.  Trust me, there are lots of people who are years into their trades, and feel the same way.
  So you seem to be leaning towards airforce.  Have you ever heard of AES OP?  NCM..aircrew.....spec pay...travel.  A chance to go to sea, but not as a sailor.  Seems like a really great go.  What about aircraft maintenance??
  Just a couple of ideas.  Cheers!

No more of the protest horseshit. It's not what the thread is about and will garner warnings if it continues.

Milnet.ca Staff

Although I think there are much less-childish ways to say it, I agree with recceguy. The other thread had enough talk about that, this thread doesn't need more.

Back to the thread at hand, what do you feel you'll accomplish by going Armour? I hope it isn't just to get into the CF, because you'll spend a lot of time doing it. Just my two cents, but based on some of your previous comments, I think you should consider if you would be able to immediately follow through with someone else's order, without necessarily considering the repercussions first. That sort of hesitation may not be beneficial to an armored troop.

TangoHotel said:
  So you seem to be leaning towards airforce.  Have you ever heard of AES OP?  NCM..aircrew.....spec pay...travel.  A chance to go to sea, but not as a sailor.  Seems like a really great go.  What about aircraft maintenance??
  Just a couple of ideas.  Cheers!

I heard about it, but not as AES. Seems like another option.

Nauticus said:
Back to the thread at hand, what do you feel you'll accomplish by going Armour? I hope it isn't just to get into the CF, because you'll spend a lot of time doing it.

What can I accomplish with Armour, or any other occupations? As I said about my interest about Armour, base more out of action pace, of being there. Would not be my first choice anyways.

Just my two cents, but based on some of your previous comments, I think you should consider if you would be able to immediately follow through with someone else's order, without necessarily considering the repercussions first. That sort of hesitation may not be beneficial to an armored troop.

I believe I can.

Well something you should also be considering is that you will not be able to get a pension till your a 51 year old woman as well.Not to mention Armd offers no civilian equivalent.As well it is a very busy job with little to no schedule.You never can plan for anything from one week to the next.Trades that offer shift work however would fit into the roller derby stuff,as you could actually plan ahead more so than being a tpr cpl in the Armd getting sent to every less than stellar place at a drop of a hat.
And if you decide on ARMD I would suggest LDSH(RC);good regiment.

It is basically why I do not consider Armour as the top choices. Most I can do right now is think about it some more as I wait for the medical. It will be five weeks tomorrow. 

Vern:

Sitting here contemplating whether or not "Roller Derby" (as a habit) is actually on the approved list of CF sports ... & thinking it's not (& if it isn't whether or not the CoC would even authorize one to participate in said activity - not that I actually ever looked for it on there, but I wasn't allowed to play football for the Lady Gladiators (<--- times when various of my whips may have yielded wee bits 'o fun).  >:(

I can always ask around in the derby community if there is any derby girls in the CF, and see if they got approval or not.

Midnight Rambler said:
Now, perhaps this is a bit of this:
:stirpot:

However...
What or why on God's green Earth would you even protest his visit?  What would you attempt to achieve?  What would your aim be?  In other words, what would make you walk away from the protest saying "we achieved our goal?"

Would it make you satisfied if he left or even cancelled his visit?  Are you protesting his visit to Canada?  Or is he going to Montreal to speak?  If so, are you opposed to him speaking? 

I get it that you didn’t like him as President of the USA.  I get that he was not the most popular president in history.  But, truth be told, Al Qaeda didn’t like him much either.  And please, don’t even start saying that he is (was?) a war criminal, fascist or anything like that. 

I hope your kidding since his administration passed a bill making him and his administration gain immunity from war crime trials.

The interesting point raised from the debate is "are out of uniform CF personnel off duty allowed to express themselves freely?"

One side of the coin says they are representatives of their organization. The other side says that freedom of speech must be kept and that if a newscaster walks up to them and asks what they think of the Afghanistan war they should be allowed to speak their opinion regardless of being a member of the CF or not.

On to the main debate: I don't think it matters if she decides to pick three trades in three different elements at all.

Sure, I would have loved to apply as an armoured soldier, boatswain and AES op. They all seem like great jobs. AES op is exciting to me, so is boatswain and armoured.

It's fine if people choose all three elements however, I chose not to and try out the military first in the army reserves since I figured this was the core of the Canadian forces.

I don't see why it matters if she isn't stuck to one element. It's called the Canadian Forces not the Canadian Army, Canadian Navy and Canadian Air Force in three separate organizations like the United States. Let her decide when she gets job offers for any of them instead of deciding before she is even offered a job.

I would be guessing if she does get selected she'll be selected for Armoured soldier since it's a hot job.

Dean22 said:
The interesting point raised from the debate is "are out of uniform CF personnel off duty allowed to express themselves freely?"

While technically, that should be the case, it still does not stop others from associating one to the CF and possibly give a negative reflection. If something is said that contradicts what many in CF feels and their views, that person not going to be all that popular, and possibly affect their career. One of those things I had to learn when working with some non-profit organizations and even the roller derby league I am in.

I would be guessing if she does get selected she'll be selected for Armoured soldier since it's a hot job.

So is Aerospace Control and ATIS Tech...according to the website anyway. Not always representative to actual present number of openings.

I received a call this morning to schedule a time to come in to the RC to answer some questions, now that my medical as been done. I am guessing that this may be the interview, but the word interview was not used. If it is just questions for the medical, I will be a bit put off knowing what they may be related to. Whatever the case, makes me happy and good way to start the day.

Amusing thing is the timing. I was dreaming about being in uniform at training, and something happened that I feel bad about, like something happening to another recruit. We were waiting for the police to come investigate why I was taking responsibility for part of whatever happened. Then I got woke up by the call. I think I watch to much NCIS...

mellian said:
I received a call this morning to schedule a time to come in to the RC to answer some questions, now that my medical as been done. I am guessing that this may be the interview, but the word interview was not used. If it is just questions for the medical, I will be a bit put off knowing what they may be related to. Whatever the case, makes me happy and good way to start the day.

Amusing thing is the timing. I was dreaming about being in uniform at training, and something happened that I feel bad about, like something happening to another recruit. We were waiting for the police to come investigate why I was taking responsibility for part of whatever happened. Then I got woke up by the call. I think I watch to much NCIS...

The person used the word "questions"? If it was me I would be worried even if it was just nothing. If it's the interview good luck I hear the regulars interview is 2-3 hours (Study the trades you picked and remember what they do in the interview).

Dean22 said:
The person used the word "questions"? If it was me I would be worried even if it was just nothing. If it's the interview good luck I hear the regulars interview is 2-3 hours (Study the trades you picked and remember what they do in the interview).

Yes, 'some quality questions' to be exact I think. They always call when I am sleeping in, so my brain may not have been fully booted up.

So not an interview. It was quality control questions in regards to the medical.

Posting on message boards online is not the same as how one is in person, let alone how they will be like during BMQ.

You are "high spirited". Nothing wrong with that.  :)

mellian said:
So not an interview. It was quality control questions in regards to the medical.

Demonstrating that too many people are over-thinking the recruiting process.

mellian said:
Posting on message boards online is not the same as how one is in person, let alone how they will be like during BMQ.

Posting on message boards is often very close to how people really are, but may not match how they present themselves in public.  Anonymity releases people to be themselves on line, even when they don't recognize themselves in their own comments.

Michael O'Leary said:
Posting on message boards is often very close to how people really are, but may not match how they present themselves in public.  Anonymity releases people to be themselves on line, even when they don't recognize themselves in their own comments.

That may be true to some extent, but the context is not the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back