• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Fitness Standards

• Thread starter Thread starter madchicken
  • Start date Start date
Sh0rtbUs said:
I dont want to blow my own horn - but i will anyways   ;D, On my Units last PT examination I managed 71 pushups consecutively, 32 sit-ups in a minute and my run time was amoungst the top 5 in the Sqd. (Work at it every night and anyone can. Eventually, you'll find you cant even sleep until you'ce busted out 50)

Some guys in the regt. had a fellow do 115 push-ups during their entrance PT test at CFRC. He stopped, because he was growing bored, they say he was only beginning to show signs of tiring. I saw the guy last summer at meaford, and 1 look at him removed all doubt or disbelief in the story!   :o

"It ain't braggin if ya done it" -that's a quote but I forget who. 200 pushups is minor in the big picture - http://www.recordholders.org/en/list/ulysses.html

In 1989 the whole platoon would do 50 pushups several times a day because we f(made a mistake), not including PT periods. Is it still like that? 50 pushups on a PT test was the least of our problems, but I don't remember what the scores were.

"In 1989 the whole platoon would do 50 pushups several times a day because we f(made a mistake), not including PT periods. Is it still like that? 50 pushups on a PT test was the least of our problems, but I don't remember what the scores were."

Aha.. hah.

the minimum you have to be able to do is 19  :-\

Doesn't your weight have allot to do with how much you can do?  ??? Like, I weigh 144lbs (give or take 5 lbs) and I can only do 41 pushups (as of 5 minutes ago) but if someone who is 175 or 180 lbs was to do almost the same amount, that would make him more physically fit, no?

If that's the case then I would probably have a harder time doing tasks and so on.

Just a stupid question. lol.   :D

I just put my papers in and now I am in a state about the PT. 
I run 15-40K/week, bike 70-200K/week and Swim 5-10K/week( training for a 1/2 Ironman this summer), 3 weight pile sessions/week and some muay thai or boxing for fun and stress relief.  I do the step test 2 times per week( just for practice) and I always get to level 7 some times level 8..........here is my first problem, I hurt my shoulder boxing and I am having a right hard time with chin ups, I know that they are not required for the test but what about BOOT.
And the second problem I have is this I am 5'10 and 240......when I started training was a whooping 310.  Am I going to get screwed because of these 2 problems...

respect
fitsumo

RapidFire said:
Doesn't your weight have allot to do with how much you can do?  ??? Like, I weigh 144lbs (give or take 5 lbs) and I can only do 41 pushups (as of 5 minutes ago) but if someone who is 175 or 180 lbs was to do almost the same amount, that would make him more physically fit, no?

If that's the case then I would probably have a harder time doing tasks and so on.

Just a stupid question. lol.   :D
Not a stupid question at all, or at least the same question occurred to me so then we are both stupid. I weigh 210 and if I assume the pushup position on the bathroom scale it reads 130, so I figure my pushups are equivalent to a 130lb bench press. It is not exactly the same because I can do more pushups (40 8)) than benches with that weight (20something). I wonder what your numbers would be and are they the same % of your bodyweight. Are there any kinesiology students lurking here that need to write a paper for school?

The little guys seem to have a huge advantage with chin-ups, but on the other hand they tended to be real impressed when I wheeled a trailer around by myself. Other than that high performance (for infantry type stuff anyway) has little to do with size and everything to do with heart. Some little guys have made me feel like a whiner when I see them carrying the same 70lbs of crap and keeping up and smiling. They invariably outrun me too.

The complete weight of your body isn't on your hands while doing pushups, some of the weight is on your toes... imagine doing a handstand, then doing pushups... then it would be similar to doing bench presses.

Just a Sig Op said:
The complete weight of your body isn't on your hands while doing pushups, some of the weight is on your toes... imagine doing a handstand, then doing pushups... then it would be similar to doing bench presses.

Note the scale reads 210 when I stand on it, and 130 when I do pushups on it. If a handstand is similar to a pushup, why can I bench 300 and do exactly 0 full handstand pushups? Something to do with tiny deltoids I think, which aren't involved in pushups or benches.

Other than that high performance (for infantry type stuff anyway) has little to do with size and everything to do with heart. Some little guys have made me feel like a whiner when I see them carrying the same 70lbs of crap and keeping up and smiling

I really hope that's true, I'm a little guy and I'm kind of nervous about it because I don't want to seem incompetent or something, and after reading the thread "Recruits these days", It's really got to me, I've decided I'm not going to apply until I can do at least 3.5x the minimum fitness requirements considering I'm only 140lbs. As far as the attitude I could go all the way, but I don't want my â Å“smallnessâ ? to hold be back.

Anyway, I think they should test strength in a different way, like a certain amount of pushups depending on your total body weight, and then we little guys wouldn't get a break on push-ups, especially chin-ups. (Witch would probably affect us in the field)

Not true whatsoever. Where do you get your facts from exactly? No where reputable that's for sure.

Not everyone has the same "challenge" because if your back/lats are stronger then your chin ups are easier. My friend has much bigger and thicker lats than the average person and I have seen him do over 20 chin ups. Mind you he is a bodybuilder but I'll bet money that the challenge for him to do 5 chinups is nonexistent compared to someone who is untrained who would struggle greatly with the same amount.

At what point did everyone realize that you'd been arguing with a 14 year old =p

Steve, as a side note, what other exercises can you do to improve your lat strength? I am in lack of a chinup bar or a nearby gym and was wondering =p Im a bit of a fitness nazi.

jmackenzie_15 said:
At what point did everyone realize that you'd been arguing with a 14 year old =p

Steve, as a side note, what other exercises can you do to improve your lat strength? I am in lack of a chinup bar or a nearby gym and was wondering =p Im a bit of a fitness nazi.

I knew he was 14 but even still ...  :o

Unfortunatetly it seems like your options seem very limited... however, there are always rows .. you got a barbell of some sort, or anything heavy resembling it? You can do bent over rows with a decently heavy weight. BO rows are one of the best back exercises, it'll give you some strength for sure. Dumbell rows are another viable option, basically you just row with one hand with anything heavy enough (pref. a dumbell) and use a bench of some sort as a balance to rest your opposite leg and hand.

I think the more you weight the more you have to pushup so I guess it is harder for someone that weighs more. I am 5'9 and weigh 155 and I can do 50 pushups max. So I think it means the better shape you're in the more you can do. :salute:

Armyrules
    Not neccessarily true.  I weigh 225-ish and can bench 330.  I can do more push-up than some skinny guys I know and some can do more than me.  Flipside, I know some guys that are bigger than me that can bench less and can do more push-ups and some that can do less.  I find though, generally, the smaller guys pound for pound are stronger...

just curious but isnt bench press more chest and push ups ( millitary style) more triceps?

Kal said:
Armyrules
Not neccessarily true. I weigh 225-ish and can bench 330. I can do more push-up than some skinny guys I know and some can do more than me. Flipside, I know some guys that are bigger than me that can bench less and can do more push-ups and some that can do less. I find though, generally, the smaller guys pound for pound are stronger...

Yeah thanks with that enlightment Kal I guess I was confused :salute: you can bench 330 nice job

cheers

Mischiefz
    Not true.  While yes bench press is primarily chest, you use a lot of tricep and shoulder strength, too.  Same goes for the push ups.  Quick lesson, your shoulder is comprised of three main muscles;  anterior (front) deltoid, medial (middle) deltoid and posterior (rear) deltoid.  Bench press and push-ups use mostly the anterior deltoid of the shoulder muscle for those exercises.  Ever do a heavy chest workout or a lot of push-ups and the nexty day your shoulders are sore........?

I'm new to this and I was reading the forum about push-ups and sit-ups.  I'm currently waiting for my call for basic. 

But to get to the point, I read somewhere a while ago and practice now for, push-ups and sit-ups, by taking a deck of cards and alternating between black(sit-ups) and red(push-ups) until I've gone through the deck.  Simply put, each number tells me how many I have to do.  IE) 182 push-ups and 182 sit-ups by the time your done.  You could also use the deck for alternate exercises separating the suites ...then you could end up doing 91 reps of a certain exercise (maybe chin-ups).
But the thing is it's not 182 reps or 91 reps all at once.

This could help for those that get tired of an exercise. Because it's a fact that if you don't like an exercise in a training program chances are your not going to stick with it. 

Personally I've never had a problem with Sit-ups and Push-ups but it does start to get a bit monotonous.

Just an idea to help those that need some kind of goal or marker.  Basically get through the deck and you know you've done a work out.

-Buzz

Hey Buzz, that's brilliant.  Me and my workout partner are always looking for ways to get the boredom out of the push up, sit up, and chin up exercises.  Thanks..

Just make sure you don't tell any of your staff or instructors while on course that one.  You may live to regret it............... ;)

Back