• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Favourite War Movies

The Ghost and The Darkness.  While technically not a war movie it nevertheless has a military spin.  It is the true story of  efforts of Lt. Col. John Henry Patterson of the Royal Engineers in managing the building of a railway bridge in colonial East Africa.  Besides being an engineering officer and a hunter Lt. Col. Patterson went on to command the  British Army's Zion Mule Corps, the first organized Jewish military unit in 2000 years, at Gallipoli in 1915.    Two years later he was leading the  38th Royal Fusiliers (The Jewish Legion) under Allenby's command in Palestine.  He is held in great esteem by the IDF.

Wow Shec, is that right? I've always really liked that movie but had no idea about that! I'm off to Google right now but thats really interesting. Your right about it not being a military movie but hell, he spends most of it in a uniform! Thats got to count for something.

Master and Commander
Enemy at the Gates
Saving Private Ryan
Tora! Tora! Tora!
U-571

Not in any particular order:
Saving Private Ryan
Band of Brothers
Breaker Morant  ("We read them rule .303")
Murphy's War

Just watched "The Dam Busters" and the cinematrography of the Lancasters in formation low and fast is terrific.

I saw a movie Sunday night on the history channel.  It was set in Algeria, in the late 50's during the FLN "troubles".  It was B/W and filmed in a docu-drama format, oh yeah it was French with sub-titles.

Any one know the name??

I saw "The Longest Day" the other night and what a spectacular movie I recommend it to anyone. :D

William Webb Ellis said:
I saw a movie Sunday night on the history channel.  It was set in Algeria, in the late 50's during the FLN "troubles".  It was B/W and filmed in a docu-drama format, oh yeah it was French with sub-titles.

Any one know the name??

"The Battle of Algiers", I believe.

A couple of my favs/ Wild Geese with the best Sargent Major ive seen depected in a movie.Dogs of War,Uncommon Valour cause i like Randell 'Tex' Cobb who in real life is one tough son of a b***h he played Sailor.I liked when he beat the crap out of Patrick Swayze's charactor kinda like the old dog young dog thrashing kind of fight.Ive got others but these for me 20 some years ago were good. :cam:

It was on Sunday and it was "Battle of Algiers" 1965 with Jean Martin. The 1954 to 62 Algerian fight for independence according to the TV Guide I have.

"Carry On Up The Khyber" is well up on my list.... those dirty big Bhurpas... ;D

"I saw "The Longest Day" the other night and what a spectacular movie I recommend it to anyone. "

- We saw it at the Drive-In theater when it came out.  I had to go with my parents, as I was too young to drive.  Bicycling to the Drive-In was considered gauche.  Besides, the mosquitos would make off with the speaker if it wasn't secured in a car window. 

- The guy who made The Longest Day slammed 'actors who formed their own production companies.'  This PO'd John Wayne (who had) and he held out for more money.

Which he got.

'The Longest Day'?  I thought it was a great movie.  Of course, I was maybe seven years old when the movie came out.  My step-father and uncle had fought in Italy, so events that had happened a mere 18 years earlier were still quite fresh in their minds.

Like us talking about 1990.

Similar experiences here Tom my old friend.  I too got taken to the drive-in to see it by my WW2 vet dad.  And your observation that the event was still fresh in the mnds of that generation is exemplified by the fact that Richard Todd. who in the movie led the Brit glider troops who seized and held the bridge "until relieved" , had been the 2-i-c of that very unit at that very action.

Apparently tonight in the Platoon Room, the movie is Platoon.

;D

Wes

Hey Wes: Platoon is an outstanding picture. It definitely has my vote for one of the best ever! It works on a lot of levels that you want in a movie.

five...point...five...six...millimeter...FULL...METAL...JACKET...

...but The Hunt For Red October was OK too...

Back