• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Election 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the P'tit gars from Shawinigan was vindictive enough seeking retribution from Paul Jr. for his father's sins, as perceived by Chretien, the he cared far less about the LPC's longevity than he did about getting his ton of flesh from the Martin clan... 

:2c:

Paul  Sr. I used to get him his paper when he was home. Canada's last honest politician.

RG, concur that PM Sr. was a real gentleman.  JC, well...

E.R. Campbell said:
Fourth: nationalism ~ it isn't Quebec that is the issue, it is the outside world, especially the Islamic "world" and it frightens many Canadians.

Those are all issues that, either: the Liberals, and to a lesser degree the NDP, just "don't get," or which, almost automatically, favour the Conservatives.

Which probably explains why I've yet to hear/read anything about Mulcair's position on military/foreign relations/fight against ISIL/etc.

[urlhttp://www.citynews.ca/2015/06/29/smarter-approach-to-defence-spending-could-save-10-billion-report/][/url]

This is the future for the CAF if the NDP win, and they do look like they are on a roll.

Spencer100 said:
[urlhttp://www.citynews.ca/2015/06/29/smarter-approach-to-defence-spending-could-save-10-billion-report/][/url]

This is the future for the CAF if the NDP win, and they do look like they are on a roll.

I don't know what the future holds but the present state of the CAF is pretty craptacular right now.

Thomas Mulcair - conservative candidate?  CBC is reporting that it almost happened in 2007.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/thomas-mulcair-almost-became-tory-adviser-in-2007-report-1.3132863

Spencer100 said:

Well, we can save $10 billion from each and every deparment and ministry if we eliminate core competencies and programs. I'm waiting to see their lists for the rest of the government....

dapaterson said:
Thomas Mulcair - conservative candidate?  CBC is reporting that it almost happened in 2007.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/thomas-mulcair-almost-became-tory-adviser-in-2007-report-1.3132863
A bit of the REST of the story here.

Here, reproduced under the Fair Dealing provisions of the Copyright Act from the Globe and Mail, is an interesting analysis of the campaign to date that confirms what some of us, here on Army.ca, have been saying ~ M Trudeau's message, his policy announcement, have fallen flat because, in part at least, the CPC (and the NDP) ignored them and him:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/so-far-the-election-campaign-isnt-unfolding-as-trudeau-hoped/article25223568/
gam-masthead.png

So far, the election campaign isn’t unfolding as Trudeau hoped

ADAM RADWANSKI
The Globe and Mail

Last updated Thursday, Jul. 02, 2015

The 2015 federal election will require political parties to work harder than ever to capture the attention of the electorate. This story is part of Adam Radwanski’s new assignment looking at how the party machines across the country are preparing.

At a time when they’re under fire for using Islamic State footage of brutal executions in an ad attacking Justin Trudeau, describing Stephen Harper’s Conservatives as “restrained” might seem like a stretch.

But a rare case of the governing party holding fire against its opponents has been among the most noteworthy stories during the runup to the federal election – one that helps explain the recent struggles of Mr. Trudeau’s Liberals to get traction.

For a brief time this spring, we appeared on the verge of something approaching class warfare. That was what the Liberals seemed to be counting on, even if they wouldn’t put it in quite those terms, when they unveiled key planks of their campaign platform. Those planks included a tax increase for top income earners, along with cancellations of the Tories’ income-splitting policy and the increase in maximum contributions to tax-free savings accounts (both alleged to disproportionately benefit the affluent), to fund tax cuts for middle-income earners and an overhaul and expansion of the Canada Child Benefit.

The way the Liberals hyped that announcement in the days before it – with predictions that, after being accused of having too little policy, they would now be accused of having too much of it – made clear that they expected their promises to generate enough push-back to make it the talk of the country.

The Liberals’ expectation was clearly that, true to past form, the Tories would launch a full-fledged assault on them for wanting to raise taxes. The Liberals would reply along the lines that Mr. Harper was just standing up for his rich friends in the 1 per cent, and Mr. Trudeau looking out for everyone else. This would put them on the side of people who feel the system has been rigged against them, and buffer Mr. Trudeau’s credentials as a change agent willing to take bold positions.

To the Liberals’ surprise, though, the Conservatives didn’t play along. Sure, they made some perfunctory noises about Mr. Trudeau wanting to “raise taxes on families,” but they weren’t very loud and didn’t last long. There was no ad campaign against the Liberals’ tax plans.

Instead, the Conservatives took technical issue with whether the Liberal promises added up, made a modest effort to suggest the middle class would benefit more under their own plan, and generally did their best to make the whole thing as boring and uneventful as possible. Rather than dabbling in populism, the Liberals got stuck pulling out charts to show why their policy was a bit better than the other guy’s.

Putting a positive spin on how it played out, Liberals now say their policies are so inherently appealing to the electorate that the Conservatives knew better than to attack them, and suggest that, because of the potential contras, the Tories seem to have all but abandoned selling the tax measures in their own pre-election budget.

But in recent conversations, senior officials in their party also conceded that what is meant to be one of their signature issues has largely gone below Canadians’ radar so far. “Our collective challenge is to get people to pay attention to it,” one of them said.

“We expected them to take the bait,” the official said of the Conservatives. “Instead, it turns out we have to take the fight to them and the NDP a little more.”

The inclusion of the New Democrats, in that assessment, was telling. In the jockeying between the opposition parties to position themselves as the realest alternative to the Conservatives and pick up centre-left votes, the Liberals have been counting on highlighting Mr. Trudeau’s plans to increase taxes on the rich, and Thomas Mulcair’s lack thereof.

Setting aside that the NDP can counter that it plans to increase corporate taxes and the Liberals don’t, taxing the rich – and the various related tax reforms – has not yet gotten enough attention for most voters to know how the Liberals and New Democrats differ on it. Nor did those policies stem the momentum toward the NDP that materialized in the first half of this year.

The Liberals’ plan to “take the fight” to the other parties on tax policy may yet enable them to make good on the hype before their roll-out on that issue. Or, they may be able to strike contrasts on promises they have subsequently announced, such as democratic reform and environmental protection, or those yet to be unveiled.

But the Conservatives, who have made little secret of preferring to beat down the Liberals and take their chances with the New Democrats, have done themselves a favour so far. Even the most combative can pick their battles.

The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about.
                                                                                                      Oscar Wilde

Oscar Wilde appears to have been right ... again. The Liberals reacted to CPC (and NDP) led media criticism that he was too light ("Just Not Ready"), especially on policy ~ in our terms, the CPC and NDP 'have the initiative' and the Liberals are on the defensive: reacting. Their reaction was to release lots of policies, assuming that the CPC and NDP would attack them, and even better, attack M Trudeau for them ... but nothing happened. The Liberal policies ~ not all bad ~ are lying, ignored, on the ground, like damp squibs.

There's no such thing as bad publicity except your own obituary.
                                                                                        Brendan Behan

The Conservatives need to be careful ... their advertising has, traditionally (since 2005, anyway), been hard hitting, even dirty, but the "line" which must not be crossed appears to be somewhere between the recent ad featuring IS** images and M Trudeau's "nonsense" answer to a CBC TV anchor and the infamous Progressive Conservative ad (1993) that seemed to make fun of Jean Chrétien's facial deformity. That ad, arguably, cost Kim Campbell a respectable showing ~ she still got 16%+ in the polls but her "party" was reduced to two seats in the HoC. The ad crossed an invisible line with Canadians: it seemed to make fun of M Chrétien's facial deformity, a result of a disease called Bell's palsy that he contracted as a child, and many, many Canadians, led by a hostile media, turned their backs on Campbell's PCs.* Canadians still "like" M Trudeau, I think, and they will not respond well to personal attack ads, but the received wisdom, based on American experience and hard data from the USA, is that 'negative advertising' works, and the "Just Not Ready" ads seem to stay on the right side of the invisible line: they're hard hitting, even dirty, but there is just enough truth in them to make them legitimate.

Ignoring M Trudeau and the Liberals, because neither they nor he "really matters" very much, is a good tactic, for now.

_____
* There were other factors, of course, including Lucien Bouchard's BQ and Preston Manning's Reform Party, but the ad really did damage the PCs in many, many ridings. 16% of the popular vote should have given Prime Minister Campbell more than two seats ~ maybe 10- to 15, even given the inefficiency of her vote.

The Ottawa Citizen reports on NDP MP Paul Dewar's suggestion that community mailboxes will be an issue in the coming election.

I guess that he's right, but not exactly in the way he seems to think: I believe that issues like community mailboxes may expose a divide between suburbanites and inner city folk.

I certainly understand that my single home owning neighbours here in downtown Ottawa (Mr Dewar's riding ~ he is my MP, and a good one, despite his party's policies) are u8nhappy to have to walok tot he corner to collect their mail but it's something my friends in Orleans (the Eastern suburbs) and Nepean (the Western suburbs0 have been doing for a generation. Of course no one really wants to see Granny have to negotiate Ottawa's poorly cleared sidewalks on an icy winter morning just to get the third class (junk) mail, but we also know that Granny doesn't get all that many pieces of mail anymore. I suspect the folks out in the suburbs ~ the middle class voters who, increasingly, vote CPC ~ have some, but not much sympathy for their inner city acquaintances, who already vote for the Liberals and NDP. Will it be an issue? Yes. Engage Canada, which is funded by unions, will make it an issue because the Canadian Union of Postal Workers is paying (part of) the freight.

There's a reason Canada Post is doing what it's doing: paper mail, the old backbone of the postal system, is all but dead. Canada Post, in 2015, is a very fine parcel delivery service, better than some (most?) of its private sector competitors, but letters, mail, is a dying business.

E.R. Campbell said:
Here is a new Predictinator from Sun News'\ David Akin ...

4c90210cc44b4696639cd3b6f7034e3d.jpg

He writes:

"For the first time since I fired up the Predictionator machine earlier this year, it is spitting out an NDP Minority Government with the Conservatives as the Official Opposition, the Liberals remaining as the (much improved) third party.
      The last few runs of the Predictionator returned the Bloc Québecois with no seats but the return last week of Gilles Duceppe has tipped the scale and now the BQ could win three under Duceppe (we still don’t know where/if he is running and
      that would change Predictionator’s assessment of whatever riding that happened to be). Greens continue to elect only Elizabeth May and the other Green MP in the House, Bruce Hyer, would get replaced by a New Democrat.

One note on Duceppe: He led his party to catastrophe in 2011. He lost his own seat and the BQ won just 4 seats. Right now, Duceppe would lead his party to an even worse result!

But, seriously what does this mean?

Well, first of all, there’s a whole lot of campaigning to go so, though the model I’m using is called The Predictionator, this is not — and I hoped this would be obvious — an actual prediction of what will happen on October 19. What it is though
      is a snapshot of several different datapoints that tries to capture how the actual work of generating votes and seats is going. So far as new inputs go for this week: Some new polls of federal vote intention in some regions, specifically Quebec
      and Atlantic Canada. There are also four recent national polls in here. And then there is me, your trust correspondent, putting his thumb on the dial in about 60 ridings in the country where, based on my discussions with local experts, candidates,
      and, most importantly of all, party workers actively engaged in those local races.

This exercise is useful to me because it helps me identify where we might see some surprise results, where there are regional shifts away from or towards a party and where more inquiries might be needed. This all helps finding stories for an
      election reporter.

The Big Idea, as I reviewed the riding by riding results is that, right now, a razor-thin NDP Minority is possible because of lots of razor-thin wins at the riding level. For example, I have, in my model, Matthew Robinson, a professor at the
      University of Western Ontario who is the NDP candidate in London West, winning against incumbent Conservative Ed Holder, the Minister of State for Science and Technology. But Robinson’s “win” right now is by less than 100 votes. A handful
      of these ‘toss-up’ races swing away from the NDP and the Conservatives would likely form a minority.

No one is anywhere near a majority.

What had looked like Liberal dominance in Atlantic Canada is now looking less so. Trudeau and his team are still easily the most popular choice of most Atlantic Canadians but, lo and behold, the NDP could pick up their first seat ever on
      Prince Edward Island. And, sure enough, I have discovered that NDP HQ has deployed resources to organize and do voter ID in the riding of Charlottetown, where I currently have Liberal incumbent Sean Casey losing by about 1,000 votes
      in a riding where about 18,000 will vote.

Liberals also looked dominant for much of this year in Toronto but now, a little less so. Adam Vaughan, just elected in the Trinity-Spadina by-election, now finds himself down by 600 votes against a still-to-be-named New Democrat in the
      new-for-2015 riding of Spadina-Fort York, most of which is the southern half of the current Trinity-Spadina riding.  (And, yes, my model does put a value on anyone’s incumbency and Vaughan, himself, like several other candidates, also gets a
      special bonus just for being who he is.) The six ridings in Scarborough, where there are currently two New Democrats and one Conservative, seemed a near lock to be swept by the Trudeau Liberals. No longer: Dan Harris and Rathika Sitsabaiesan
      now hold Scarborough Southwest and Scarborough North and New Democrat Alex Wilson wins in Scarborough Centre, where the incumbent, Conservative Roxanne James, had been a likely loser in any event to the Liberals. This Scarborough result is
      holding despite the entrance into the race of former Toronto Police Chief Bill Blair in Scarborough Southwest.

Just as the Liberals are appearing to wilt in the face of NDP popularity in Atlantic Canada and Ontario, the Conservatives are wilting in Alberta. But though I have the NDP with six seats in Alberta now — one in Lethbridge, the rest in Edmonton —
      all but four will be highly contested and it would not surprise me in the least if, after the count is done on October 19, that the NDP exit Alberta only with Edmonton Strathcona (the one seat they already hold there) and Edmonton Griesbach. Still,
      flagging these other four tells me that the other four ridings should attract resources and attention from the war rooms of the national parties."

One wonders about the percentage of "informed" voters ...  :eek:

And here is a new Predictinator from David Akin:

10368905_1178566055503069_1851463986598054482_o.jpg

The NDP's peak is holding, even growing, but both M Mulcair and M Trudeau are eating away at the CPC's support.

It pains me greatly to say it but I honestly think the Dippers will be running the monkey show after October.  God help us all.

jollyjacktar said:
It pains me greatly to say it but I honestly think the Dippers will be running the monkey show after October.  God help us all.

As long as its a minority. I know hope is not a COA, but then maybe people will see the giant mess they try to make of the finances, especially with Canada projected into another economic downturn.

I doubt many Canadians care much about the financial picture.  Of those that do, I suspect most misunderstand the picture, because they adopt their opinions from whatever they are told by newspapers, TV newsreaders, and Facebook feeds.

Here are some of the commonly held beliefs:

1) The CPC government is the "highest spending ever" (literally true).  (Nearly every successive Parliament is the "highest spending ever" - population growth, inflation, program accretion.  Few of the people who screamed about cuts to transfers in 1997 care - probably few know - that part of the "highest spending ever" has been the restoration of transfers.)

2) The CPC inherited a surplus and began a series of deficits (literally true).  (Does anyone recall certain events in late 2008/2009 involving certain parties demanding a certain amount of "stimulus"?)

3) The CPC cut health care funding (completely untrue).  (This is my favourite: Stephen Harper blamed for perceived shortcomings in Paul Martin's program.)

4) Public revenues as a percentage of GDP have fallen (literally true).  (But public revenues in constant dollars have increased.  It is unclear why revenues should be a monotonically increasing share of GDP.)

The CPC government has, under the circumstances, been an effective and prudent manager of the federal finances.  But the impression of many people is somehow this weird blend of a government which is simultaneously spending too much and not spending near enough.

Brad Sallows said:
The CPC government has, under the circumstances, been an effective and prudent manager of the federal finances.  But the impression of many people is somehow this weird blend of a government which is simultaneously spending too much and not spending near enough.

Further proof of the Barnum concept that you can please all the people some of the time, some people all of the time, but not all people all of the time.

Barnum also claimed there was a sucker born every minute.  I suppose that could also be directed at the electorate.

Jeffrey Simpson reminds us about why we shouldn't be counting our (or the NDP's) chickens in the summer in this article which is reproduced under the Fair Dealing provisions of the Copyright Act from the Globe and Mail:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-debate/summer-isnt-time-to-predict-which-way-the-political-winds-blow/article25249844/
gam-masthead.png

Summer isn’t the time to predict which way the political winds blow

JEFFREY SIMPSON
OTTAWA — The Globe and Mail

Published Saturday, Jul. 04, 2015

Do you want to place a bet on the outcome of the Oct. 19 election based on today’s polls? Before you do, consider a little recent history.

Three men who became prime minister for long stretches of time trailed in the polls during Canada Day week. All were written off as roadkill against opponents who, in early July, appeared to have mojo.

Think back to the early summer of 1984. Liberal prime minister John Turner, having won the party leadership, had the wind at his back. That is, until the election campaign in which he and the Liberals were thumped by Brian Mulroney and the Progressive Conservatives, who won in a landslide.

Reflect for a moment on the situation facing prime minister Kim Campbell in July, 1993. She was a new leader, the first woman prime minister, a breath of fresh air who promised to do politics differently. Except that when the campaign ended, her Progressive Conservatives had won only two seats. They were thrashed by the Liberals under Jean Chrétien, dubbed “yesterday’s man” by his detractors.

In the summer of 2005, Liberal prime minister Paul Martin seemed destined to win a whopping majority. The economy was humming, new Liberal candidates had emerged (remember Belinda Stronach?) and Mr. Martin unveiled big ambitions for Canada. Except that when the election campaign arrived, things went downhill for the Liberals. Stephen Harper became the Conservative prime minister, a job he still holds, at least until Oct. 19.

Go ahead, place a bet if you want on tomorrow’s results based on today’s polls, but remember that polls are snapshots of today and not necessarily predictors of what will transpire tomorrow. And, by the way, campaigns matter.

If you doubt that statement, ponder recent provincial elections. Who would have predicted an NDP sweep in Alberta a month before voting day? Think of the past British Columbia election: An apparently sure thing for the NDP turned into a Liberal triumph. Or Quebec, where the smarty-pants in the Parti Québécois government were so sure of impending victory that they called an election and got slaughtered by the Liberals. Even in New Brunswick, the Liberals won all right but not nearly by as much as had been predicted when the campaign began.

Why the swings? The obvious reason is that more citizens pay attention to politics during campaigns than at any other time. A lot of people don’t think much, if at all, about political choices most of the time. They turn their fleeting attention to politics only during elections, if then.

These largely uninterested voters tend not to decide on issues or platforms, but on impressions and images of leadership, and sometimes on that vague but powerful sense that it’s “time for a change.” They are particularly susceptible to “information” conveyed by partisan political advertising, especially attack ads, which explains why parties rely so heavily on these ads that have nothing to do with substance but everything with image.

The summer before a vote is dead time, politically speaking. People have plenty better to do with their time than follow politics in a country with only one short burst of warmth and sun each year (except, of course, on the West Coast). Which is one reason why indications about which way political winds are blowing before and during the summer are not accurate predictors of what might happen come fall.

Then there are unexpected events – crises such as a financial collapse, slips of the tongue, good or poor performances by leaders in televised debates, an issue that catches fire and helps or hurts a party. Every party works hard to prevent damaging developments, but they can happen – a story out of nowhere on social media, a dumb statement by a local candidate, a tired leader who loses his or her cool, a maladroit comment that gets blown into something.

Then there is the contest between expectations and results. A leader – Justin Trudeau today – who has been knocked down a few pegs in recent months (at least in media coverage) might pleasantly surprise people if he can walk and chew gum at the same time. NDP Leader Thomas Mulcair is riding high these days, even being talked about as a prime minister, which means that anything he says will be scrutinized as never before.

Finally, there is Mr. Harper who, after so long in office, is who he is and what he has done. The election ultimately will be about him. You can indeed bet on that.

I agree with Mr Simpson: M Mulcair and the whole NDP team are about to face some pretty serious scrutiny, for a change; M Trudeau does have time to turn things around; and, finally, this election will be all about Prime Minister Harper ~ what's he done and what he's promising to do, and how much we can trust him to keep his promises.

------------------

My, personal dream would be for an outcome something like this:

BQ:            3
CPC:      160
Greens:      1
LPC:        33
NDP:      140
Others:      1

There would be an immediate cry for an NDP/Liberal coalition, with, obviously, the NDP holding ALL the really important portfolios (Liberals would be offered Foreign Affairs (as a sweetner) and e.g. Defence, Veterans' Affairs and Revenue). Some Liberals, probably many Liberals would want to join, but some others, probably ⅓ of them, would refuse and many (most) of them would offer themselves to the CPC!

So we would have:

1. Two possible coalitions -

a. NDP/Liberal with, say, as many as 165 seats (all 140 Dippers plus 22 Liberals and 3 BQ members), or

b. CPC/Liberal with, say, as many as 172 seats (all 160 Conservatives plus 11 Liberals plus one Independent); and

2. A decisively, perhaps irreparably split Liberal Party.  :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back