• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Election 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought Elizabeth May performed well last night. Obviously she had little to lose, but her fact checking of the other leaders was effective and to the point. I thought Trudeau on the other hand was a train wreck, particularly his closing statement. It was embarrassing and cringe inducing to watch.

Harper and Mulcair I thought were pretty evenly matched, though I was expecting a more lively discussion between them. Mulcair's handlers probably coached him to keep things toned down, as Harper's handlers no doubt coached him to try and draw out the others in the hopes that they would make a mistake.

Overall, it was nothing special. But just as I was disappointed with the state of affairs in Canada, I turned on the US debate. The first thing I heard (as my TV was warming up) something about "millions of dead babies." Turns out we can still be proud of the state of affairs in Canada for the time being.

Kilo_302 said:
I thought Trudeau on the other hand was a train wreck, particularly his closing statement.

Didn't I say the same thing on the previous page?  ;D

Anyways, it's quite sad when our politicians have to compete with Donald Trump for attention in one's own country, since the US GOP primary debates happened at nearly the same time, last night.

Reuters

Trump could trump Trudeau & Co in big Canadian election show
Tue Aug 4, 2015 4:35pm EDT
Businessman and Republican candidate for president Donald Trump speaks to supporters at a campaign event in Laconia, New Hampshire, July 16, 2015.  REUTERS/Dominick Reuter
1 of 1Full Size
By Randall Palmer and David Ljunggren

OTTAWA (Reuters) - Canada's political leaders do not just have to worry about holding their own in the opening election debate on Thursday. They will also be up against the enormous publicity-generating machine that is Donald Trump.

Halfway through the Canadian debate, Fox News is to start broadcasting the first debate among Republican contenders for the 2016 U.S. presidential election, starring Trump among others.

Arguably, it is more important for Canadian voters to watch their own leaders in the runup to the country's election on Oct. 19 rather than one tied to the November 2016 U.S. election. But for those people who are fascinated by U.S. politics, it may be a tricky decision.

(...SNIPPED)

MCG said:
CTV says that the "experts" are divided on the renovation tax credit, but their article reflects more negative to disinterest.  The sums are apparently too small to influence the economy, there is doubt that such a credit causes people to spend money they were not going to spend anyway, and there is conflicting opinion as to what this might do for housing sales market:

http://www.ctvnews.ca/business/harper-s-home-reno-tax-credit-promise-divides-realtors-1.2504528

If the goal was to leave money in Canadians' pockets, then a simple, little tax cut for everybody would be preferable.

How is it possible to find people to criticize the effectiveness of a home renovation tax credit?  On principle I object to the potpourri of tax credits but construction is the best thing to subsidize and the classical thing for stimulus spending.  The vast majority of construction dollars are spent in Canada.  If subsidizing construction in a recession has a downside, then everyone is getting it wrong because everyone does it, not just Conservatives.

Changing your kitchen or bathroom is not real construction.

If the NDP is seriously proposing to raise the minimum wage to $15/hr, they had better take a quick trip to US "Blue" States and cities, and see the almost immediate results.

Promising to implement a policy which will lead to massive increases in unemployment among young and low skilled workers while hammering small and generally undercapitalized business is going to be a sure winner. I can almost see the CPC ads now: interviews with small restaurant, independent bookstore and other business people in Seattle on how they were forced to lay off staff or close down because of the forced wage hike.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/07/22/seattle-sees-fallout-from-15-minimum-wage-as-other-cities-follow-suit/

Seattle sees fallout from $15 minimum wage, as other cities follow suit
Dan Springer
By Dan SpringerPublished July 22, 2015

Seattle’s $15 minimum wage law is supposed to lift workers out of poverty and move them off public assistance. But there may be a hitch in the plan.

Evidence is surfacing that some workers are asking their bosses for fewer hours as their wages rise – in a bid to keep overall income down so they don’t lose public subsidies for things like food, child care and rent.

Full Life Care, a home nursing nonprofit, told KIRO-TV in Seattle that several workers want to work less.

“If they cut down their hours to stay on those subsidies because the $15 per hour minimum wage didn’t actually help get them out of poverty, all you’ve done is put a burden on the business and given false hope to a lot of people,” said Jason Rantz, host of the Jason Rantz show on 97.3 KIRO-FM.

The twist is just one apparent side effect of the controversial -- yet trendsetting -- minimum wage law in Seattle, which is being copied in several other cities despite concerns over prices rising and businesses struggling to keep up.

The notion that employees are intentionally working less to preserve their welfare has been a hot topic on talk radio. While the claims are difficult to track, state stats indeed suggest few are moving off welfare programs under the new wage.

Despite a booming economy throughout western Washington, the state’s welfare caseload has dropped very little since the higher wage phase began in Seattle in April. In March 130,851 people were enrolled in the Basic Food program. In April, the caseload dropped to 130,376.

At the same time, prices appear to be going up on just about everything.

Some restaurants have tacked on a 15 percent surcharge to cover the higher wages. And some managers are no longer encouraging customers to tip, leading to a redistribution of income. Workers in the back of the kitchen, such as dishwashers and cooks, are getting paid more, but servers who rely on tips are seeing a pay cut.

Some long-time Seattle restaurants have closed altogether, though none of the owners publicly blamed the minimum wage law.

“It’s what happens when the government imposes a restriction on the labor market that normally wouldn’t be there, and marginal businesses get hit the hardest, and usually those are small, neighborhood businesses,” said Paul Guppy, of the Washington Policy Center.

Seattle was followed by San Francisco and Los Angeles in passing a $15 minimum wage law. The wage is being phased in over several years to give businesses time to adjust. The current minimum wage in Seattle is $11. In San Francisco, it’s $12.25.

And it is spreading. Beyond the city of Los Angeles, the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors this week also approved a $15 minimum wage.

New York state could be next, with the state Wage Board on Wednesday backing a $15 wage for fast-food workers, something Gov. Andrew Cuomo has supported.

Already, though, there are unintended consequences in other cities.

Comix Experience, a small book store in downtown San Francisco, has begun selling graphic novel club subscriptions in order to meet payroll. The owner, Brian Hibbs, admits members are not getting all that much for their $25 per month dues, but their “donation” is keeping him in business.

“I was looking at potentially having to close the store down and then how would I make my living?” Hibbs asked.

To date, he’s sold 228 subscriptions. He says he needs 334 to reach his goal of the $80,000 income required to cover higher labor costs. He doesn’t blame San Francisco voters for approving the $15 minimum wage, but he doesn’t think they had all the information needed to make a good decision.

Thucydides said:
If the NDP is seriously proposing to raise the minimum wage to $15/hr, they had better take a quick trip to US "Blue" States and cities, and see the almost immediate results.

I think I covered the other problems with it here:

NDP's $15 Minimum Wage Pledge: Party Says Promise Isn't Misleading

This video would seem to indicate that it is.

It only covers federally regulated industries where nearly all of the workers already make more that $15 per hour. The public perception would appear to indicate otherwise.

To get an idea of who you can vote for, have a look here:

http://www.elections.ca/home.aspx

CAF electors will have to use the postal code associated with their SOR and not current address, unless the two match, when visiting the site.

Thucydides said:

Promising to implement a policy which will lead to massive increases in unemployment among young and low skilled workers while hammering small and generally undercapitalized business is going to be a sure winner. I can almost see the CPC ads now: interviews with small restaurant, independent bookstore and other business people in Seattle on how they were forced to lay off staff or close down because of the forced wage hike.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/07/22/seattle-sees-fallout-from-15-minimum-wage-as-other-cities-follow-suit/

Apples and oranges.  That hike would affect maybe 100 000 people if that and only in federally regualted areas.  Most of the examples seen in your example are provincially regulated.  The NDP proposal is just smoke and mirrors.  Makes them look good to their own base and likely fools certain people in the wrong industries into thinking they'll get a raise when in fact they won't.. 

Thucydides said:

This article says "evidence is surfacing" and then doesn't produce much evidence. Outside of the Basic Food Program stats (and they're only citing one month at the new wages), all of the evidence they've included is anecdotal. Most academic studies (upon which Seattle based much of it's decision) have concluded that such an increase can be absorbed by economies without too much disruption.

I would add that if rabble.ca The Tyee are biased sources, Fox will also publish anything that questions the efficacy of wage increases. Overall, it's too soon to tell if benefits outweigh the downsides. The Washington State Employment Security Department collects data from employers on wages and hours on a quarterly basis, so I expect we will have a better idea of what's actually happening after Q3-Q4. However, even that is a bit short term to really measure the impact.

Kilo_302 said:
I would add that if rabble.ca The Tyee are biased sources, Fox will also publish anything that questions the efficacy of wage increases.

Fox is the largest news network in the US by far.  It's agenda must be appealing to at least the lowest common denominator. 

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2015/08/05/cable-news-ratings-for-tuesday-august-4-2015/442995/

I don't know who in the federal jurisdiction would pay less than $ 15 per hour.  Approaching none?

Rocky Mountains said:
Fox is the largest news network in the US by far.  It's agenda must be appealing to at least the lowest common denominator. 

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2015/08/05/cable-news-ratings-for-tuesday-august-4-2015/442995/

I don't know who in the federal jurisdiction would pay less than $ 15 per hour.  Approaching none?
Be careful about what "jurisdiction" means.  Here in Canada, the federal minimum wage (which applies to federally-regulated industries, like broadcasting) is lower than Ontario's minimum wage - not all federally regulated workers are federally employed workers.

As usual, Kilo ignores what is in the article and tries to disqualify because of the source. Funny how we are not supposed to disqualify things posted on rabble.ca or MSNBC.

However googling deeper into the issue provides surprising second and third order effects (especially once supporters are directly faced with the real costs), so I am pretty sure if the CPC sees a need to use attack ads against the NDP platform, this is a rich lode of material to mine. The real question is if or when is the best time to start, since the overarching issue for the CPC is to ensure the LPC is crushed and prevent NPD support from bleeding to the Liberals. Far better for the "Blue wing" of the LPC to start bleeding to the CPC, where there is more growth potential, than for NDP support to start bleeding towards the LPC.

milnews.ca said:
Be careful about what "jurisdiction" means.  Here in Canada, the federal minimum wage (which applies to federally-regulated industries, like broadcasting) is lower than Ontario's minimum wage - not all federally regulated workers are federally employed workers.

Understood but do any bank clerks even make under $ 15 per hour?  Mind you, I live in Alberta where the only people working for less than $ 15 are imports from the third world.

MCG said:
Changing your kitchen or bathroom is not real construction.

So building a house is = full spectrum warfare

Renovating a kitchen = Police Action

Painting the bathroom is = Peacekeeping

Painting a bathroom involves a wife and paint swatches.  It's more like a Cold War with only two possible outcomes, both bad.

Thucydides said:
As usual, Kilo ignores what is in the article and tries to disqualify because of the source. Funny how we are not supposed to disqualify things posted on rabble.ca or MSNBC.

However googling deeper into the issue provides surprising second and third order effects (especially once supporters are directly faced with the real costs), so I am pretty sure if the CPC sees a need to use attack ads against the NDP platform, this is a rich lode of material to mine. The real question is if or when is the best time to start, since the overarching issue for the CPC is to ensure the LPC is crushed and prevent NPD support from bleeding to the Liberals. Far better for the "Blue wing" of the LPC to start bleeding to the CPC, where there is more growth potential, than for NDP support to start bleeding towards the LPC.

Read my post again. I directly addressed what was in the article. Two anecdotal stories from a retirement home and a comic book store, and some stats from the Basic Food Program based on one month of new wages. Not exactly what I would call compelling evidence. It's simply too soon to tell.

I also stated that just as rabble.ca would be considered a "left wing" or "progressive source" and therefore biased, so can Fox News be considered the equivalent on the right. I don't watch MSNBC either, it's a joke just like Fox and CNN.

However, let's not forget that Fox News consumers are consistently far less informed than people who consume other media.

http://www.businessinsider.com/study-watching-fox-news-makes-you-less-informed-than-watching-no-news-at-all-2012-5

More recently:

http://www.inquisitr.com/2105906/fox-news-viewers-least-informed-among-media-consumers-says-new-study-by-former-reagan-adviser/

Rocky Mountains said:
. . . . . I live in Alberta where the only people working for less than $ 15 are imports from the third world.

So will an organization that proclaims to be "contributing to the operational readiness and effectiveness of the Canadian Armed Forces" be a beneficiary of the Temporary Foreign Workers Program.
https://www3.cfpsa.com/HRAdmin/JobPosters/e8a7f41a-9834-4bb2-9054-5017c75112ad.pdf

Bartender
Personnel Support Programs
Warrant and Sergeant Mess
CFB Edmonton

Salary: $13.07/hr - $14.28/hr

I suppose it says something that 1 Bde bartenders make approx $2.00 more an hour than 2 Bde and then there's gratuities, however back about twenty years ago when I was VPMC of a mess, our staff did comment that we were cheap bastards when it came to tipping.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back