• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Domestic Terrorism/Public Attacks on CAF Personnel

Patrice Vincent was a member of one of our Squadrons.

I offer my condolences to his family and Squadron-mates, and take no small measure of comfort in the fact that his murderer will waste no money in R&Q and "rehabilitation". May his seventy-two virgins all be of the thirty-year-old-male-Star Trek-fan-bacon-eating-and-living-in-their-parents'-basements variety.

Following the 2001 attacks in New York and Washington, we were ordered by the CDS to wear civilian clothes to and from work. I complied. My uniform was protected by a dry-cleaning bag while I was carrying it outside.

They're cheap and plentiful.

acen said:
Unfortunately, a reactionary decision has already been handed down. Staff and students of a brigade battleschool have been ordered to wear civilian attire to and from work as well as any time in public.

This type of 'reaction' demonstrates why the low-level isolated acts gain favor with terrorist organizations. One radicalized madman sacrifices himself after killing a soldier and at least one CAF leader forces his unit into hiding.  Did one of the student's mommies call the CO or RSM to say she did not want her child to be in harm's way?  Next, all veterans with designated license plates will be recommended to order standard provincial license plates for their cars!

Rest in Peace WO!

Maybe if we closed the gates to our bases and PMQ's, and checked ID at the gates with armed MP's...

No, let's just hide in our own country and wear civvies. Wearing your uniform inside the gates only...talk about strong and proud.

I wonder if that will be normal practice by the time I get back to work...probably.

RIP WO.

Caught CBC Radio this afternnoon and they had on a RCMP spokesman who stated that Rouleau had waited for two hours before he acted. No indications (so far) that he had been in contact with any terrorist group/individuals.

Canada's NRA wannabes (NFA) are having a great time making jokes about banning cars on facebook  :facepalm:

Loachman said:
Following the 2001 attacks in New York and Washington, we were ordered by the CDS to wear civilian clothes to and from work.

We had the exact same direction back in the late 80's in Toronto due to people in uniform getting "beaten up" while using public transit.

Spectrum said:
Maybe if we closed the gates to our bases and PMQ's, and checked ID at the gates with armed MP's...

Believe it or not, this was pretty much common practice 30 years ago.  Coming back on Base, the light was RED, you had to stop and show ID before you were allowed to pass.

Simian Turner said:
Next, all veterans with designated license plates will be recommended to order standard provincial license plates for their cars!

PERSEC.........  I think they are neat.  But sorry, I'm not about to "self identify".

It a sad day when we lose any member of the CF.  Condolences to the family.

My heartfelt condolences to the families of the injured and deceased soldiers.

What a pussy move, caving in to the rare, idiot Tango wanna be, to have everyone remove their uniform in our own country. To say I am disappointed with this position taken by the CDS and the grownups would be a gross understatement.

Wake up people, you are losing the Psychological battle taking this approach.

Retired AF Guy said:
Caught CBC Radio this afternnoon and they had on a RCMP spokesman who stated that Rouleau had waited for two hours before he acted. No indications (so far) that he had been in contact with any terrorist group/individuals.

He was definitely inspired by ISIS and the like. His modus operandi was exactly that suggest by  Abu Khalid Al-Kanadi, a well know Canadian member of ISIS.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. I've received some communications on this issue from my CoC, but nowhere did it state we were not to wear uniform in public. Rather it spoke to Force Protection, INFOSEC, and CyberSEC and PERSEC. To repeat, it did not speak to not wearing the uniform.

And no, I will not repost it here.

ModlrMike said:
Let's not get ahead of ourselves. I've received some communications on this issue from my CoC, but nowhere did it state we were not to wear uniform in public. Rather it spoke to Force Protection, INFOSEC, and CyberSEC and PERSEC. To repeat, it did not speak to not wearing the uniform.

We have not recieved any direction like that either.

I'm hoping our serving pers aren't stuck with this stupid shit again. I flat ignored it the last two times, but I considered the type of turtle imitating government we had back then. I don't think the serving government has any of the 'head in the sand' qualities of those previous.

While there are many examples of the ill way they appear to be treating the military and veterans, they still have faith in us and aren't a bunch of surrender monkeys. The PM likes a show of force and is not afraid to spit in a bad guys eye.

On that, I'm behind him.

Reproduced under the Fair Dealings provisions of the Copyright Act.

Mounties tried to intervene in radicalization of suspect in Quebec hit-and-run

CTVNews.ca Staff
Published Tuesday, October 21, 2014 6:28AM EDT
Last Updated Tuesday, October 21, 2014 7:29PM EDT

The RCMP say they met with the suspect in Monday’s attack on two soldiers in Quebec as recently as Oct. 9 in their ongoing attempts to de-radicalize him.

Supt. Martine Fontaine, who heads national security for the RCMP in Quebec, told a news conference Tuesday afternoon that 25-year-old Martin Rouleau was arrested in July when he attempted to leave the country, but was released because there was not enough evidence to prove he was planning to fight alongside terrorists overseas.

There was also no evidence that Rouleau was planning an attack within Canada, Fontaine said.

She said Rouleau’s passport was seized and the RCMP made contact with his family and the imam of a mosque he attended in an attempt to curb his radicalization process.

Fontaine said the RCMP hoped to exert a “positive influence” on Rouleau through the imam and family members. When police met with Rouleau on Oct. 9, he suggested that he wanted to take steps to change his life, Fontaine said.

That meeting ended on a positive note and the RCMP had no indication that an attack was being planned, she said.

But on Monday morning, less than two weeks later, Rouleau allegedly struck two members of the Canadian Armed Forces with his car in St-Jean-sur-Richelieu, about 50 kilometres southeast of Montreal. Rouleau was subsequently shot and killed by police.

The incident occurred in a strip mall parking lot around 11:30 a.m. One of the soldiers, 53-year-old Patrice Vincent, later died of his injuries, while the other soldier suffered minor injuries.

A local patrol officer witnessed the hit-and-run and gave chase as Rouleau fled in his car.

Police said Tuesday that Rouleau called 911 after the attack to claim responsibility for it.

After a four-kilometre chase, Rouleau’s car rolled into a ditch. Police said he exited the car and lunged at an officer with a knife before he was fatally shot.

Public Safety Minister Steven Blaney said Tuesday that the hit-and-run was “linked to terrorist ideology.”

The Department of National Defence said that Vincent, the deceased soldier, was a warrant officer and a member of the regular armed forces since 1986. He had also worked as a firefighter in a number of cities, including Halifax, Edmonton and Montreal.

RCMP Commissioner Bob Paulson confirmed Tuesday that the suspect is one of 90 suspected extremists on Canadian soil that the force was monitoring. He also confirmed reports that the Mounties had seized his passport.

“He was part of our investigative efforts to try and identify those people who might commit a criminal act travelling abroad for terrorist purposes,” Paulson told reporters following an appearance at the House procedure committee.

Investigators were monitoring him, “along with other suspects,” he said.

Asked whether military personnel in the town are in danger, Paulson replied: “That’s a larger issue that will be informed by a full investigation, and we have to get on that.”

Chief of Defence Staff General Tom Lawson said in a statement that the “safety and well-being of Canadian Armed Forces members is a primary concern.
“Security measures are in place at every Canadian Armed Forces installation across Canada.”

Lawson added that the Canadian Forces “continually” adapt security measures “to meet the demands of an evolving security environment,” and will be on the lookout for potential threats.

Blaney told reporters earlier Tuesday that he is “horrified” by the incident, which he called “a terrible act of violence against our country, against our military, against our values.”

His office later confirmed that Canada has raised the domestic terror threat level in response to “general chatter” from “radical” organizations such as ISIS and al Qaeda.

“This increase is not the result of a specific threat,” a spokesperson for Blaney said. 

In a statement issued Tuesday morning, Prime Minister Stephen Harper extended his and his wife’s “deepest condolences” to the family and friends of the deceased soldier, and offered “prayers for the recovery” of the one who was injured.

“I want to express that the authorities can count on our full support in order to get to the bottom of this terrible act,” the prime minister said.

‘Radical thoughts’

The RCMP said Tuesday they began their investigation into Rouleau in June, after posts on his Facebook page suggested that he was “radicalized to the idea of travelling overseas.”

Rouleau was arrested in July when he attempted to travel to Turkey, but police did not have enough evidence to keep him in custody. Fontaine said investigators presented the evidence to the Crown, which determined that wasn’t enough to charge Rouleau with any crime.

Although Rouleau’s passport was seized, Fontaine said there was little else police could do.

“We could not arrest someone for having radical thoughts,” she said.

Fontaine said the RCMP did not continue to monitor Rouleau after their Oct. 9 meeting, but were still in contact with his family members, who had noticed “changes” in the suspect and wanted to help him.

She also said there was no indication that Rouleau was planning to use his car as a weapon.

“It would have been very difficult to prevent that … because it’s not a crime either to drive a car or be in a parking lot.”

More on LINK.

ModlrMike said:

It appears from Acen's post that 1 Reserve Bridage Battle School made the decision to go in civies.

Driving off where I work in uniform or civies makes no difference.  If we hide they've won already.  IMO.

A local patrol officer witnessed the hit-and-run and gave chase as Rouleau fled in his car.

Police said Tuesday that Rouleau called 911 after the attack to claim responsibility for it.

After a four-kilometre chase, Rouleau’s car rolled into a ditch. Police said he exited the car and lunged at an officer with a knife before he was fatally shot.

Seems to me we can stop using the (very over-used) word "allegedly" any time now.

RIP to our fallen  :cdn:

RIP WO Vincent  :salute: .

Condolences to the family and a speedy recovery to the other soldier injured in this cowardly attack.

RIP WO Vincent, My sincere condolences to family. Hopefully a spped recovery tothe other member.

Chimo :cdn:

Back