• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Chinese Military,Political and Social Superthread

Unlikely.

I mean- I get that it was probably an accident (Occam’s razor), but China would not admit that the sun was rising, if Xi felt like sleeping that day…
True. Probably a wayward junior apparatchik Tweeting an apology that they thought would get them promoted for broadening China’s openness to work with (to dominate) the West…

More likely irrefutable evidence that was presented to China, with threats to expose them.
That’s my take. The “face” lost by apologizing is huge, and “face” is much more of an Asian thing than a western thing.

The article below is more of a person-to-person analogy for “saving face” but you can extrapolate to nation-states.

More likely irrefutable evidence that was presented to China, with threats to expose them.
I also think it was a way for China to walk back from some of its alignment with Russia.

China has been softening its support for Russia in the last two weeks, and more significantly since the Ukrainians have invaded Kursk. Recently having shut down it’s direct drone exports to Russia

I suspect Xi wants to get back to straddle the fence to hedge his bets that Russia may end up losing their war with Ukraine, and positioning China to take advantage wherever it can.

He’s doing some overt Military alignment with Russia - but nothing really significant to asssit them in terms of Mil hardwares, and most of the logistics support has been old stuff the PLA has disposed of already (like old tires).

He is an opportunist, who wants to expand China’s presence and prestige in the world.

It's all about the regional officials getting a hefty chunk of the "Cremation fees". If the government was doing it for free, they would not care.

Never a dull day in China

Never Mind Oh Dear GIF by Harborne Web Design Ltd

Ironic that Canada and Ontario pour tens of billions of taxpayer dollars into batter plants, but let’s the U.S. do the proportionately heavy lift on cobalt mining/production for those batteries… 🤔
What is even more concerning is the EV market is not as rosy and all the manufacturers and government mucky mucks thought it would be. We may as well have burnt billions in a huge bonfire.

Remind me what is the definition of insanity?

Back