• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CF Hair Regulations - superthread [MERGED]

• Thread starter Thread starter JDG
  • Start date Start date
Alittle off topic but at Reserve BMQ/SQ this summer in Wainwright do they cut your hair or should you get it cut super short down to a 1/2 before you go?

Regards
B.McTeer

Cut your hair before you go, that way you will be prepared.  Instead of some members of my platoon who had to grab electric beard shavers and mutilate their hair :P. since we werent given a chance to go to a barber shop untill our first weekend off, which was after 2nd week.

So I guess if you went to basic with a "high and tight" your instructors wouldn't like it very much. Am I correct?

You're right.  There is a reason that everyone gets a haircut in basic, more of a reason than just cutting of hair.

big bad john said:
You're right. There is a reason that everyone gets a haircut in basic, more of a reason than just cutting of hair.

Yeah I see your point  big bad john  because getting the haircut when you first get to basic is like the first step to being in the military. They want to show you that there is no placefor individuality in the military. Right?

Break you down and build you up.  You have to be a team member.  Everyone is treated the same in Basic, haircut ect..

" we werent given a chance to go to a barber shop untill our first weekend off, which was after 2nd week."

WHAT?  it's on the timetable.  Where the heck was Standards?

Tom

so im going to basic this summer at chillawack, should i get a haircut at the base or at my home?
if i went to haircut place at my home what type haircuts should i ask for?
thanks

I would get a hair cut the last day before you leave.  1 on the side 2 on the top (clippers).

Get your head compleatly shaved before you go if you wish, since I first asked this question Ive completed basic in april, they shave everyones head the first week, afterwards you can have it longer on the top as long as you meet the standards. :salute:

copecowboy said:
Get your head compleatly shaved before you go if you wish, since I first asked this question Ive completed basic in april, they shave everyones head the first week, afterwards you can have it longer on the top as long as you meet the standards. :salute:

WRONG! If you shave your head, and you get sunburned, you can be charged. If you are not used to shaving your head, you will most likely burn quite badly. You will likely blister, and it will hurt like the dickens. Once this happens, expect a charge (self-inflicted wound), especially if it restricts your training. Nice little welcome to the Army, huh?

The simple advice on hair has already been given, and I still abide by it:

#2 on the top, #1 on the sides.

copecowboy - I don't know where you get your info, or what your experience is (empty profile..hint, hint), but your right the f' out of 'er.

SeanPaul_031 said:
So how long is a 1? 2?

If you are asking this question, I wouldn't recommend cutting your own hair.  Self-tapering is tricky. If you bugger it up you'll go on course and be sent to the barber to get the tennis ball cut of 1 all over, and get to pay for it all the same.

Go to a barber (ONLY a barber, NOT a hairdresser) the day before and pay the $8-$12.  Ask for 1 on the sides, 2 on the top, fully tapered NOT square back.

Enjoy,

c4th said:
If you are asking this question, I wouldn't recommend cutting your own hair.   Self-tapering is tricky. If you bugger it up you'll go on course and be sent to the barber to get the tennis ball cut of 1 all over, and get to pay for it all the same.

Go to a barber (ONLY a barber, NOT a hairdresser) the day before and pay the $8-$12.   Ask for 1 on the sides, 2 on the top, fully tapered NOT square back.

Enjoy,

OK thxs, but how long is a 1 and how long is a 2?

Also, what is square back? Im assuming that tapered would be a gradual change from the 1 to the 2 from the sides to the top, so the appearance is that they blend together?
Would square back be simply just a straight line where the 1 ended and the 2 starts?

SeanPaul_031 said:
Also, what is square back? Im assuming that tapered would be a gradual change from the 1 to the 2 from the sides to the top, so the appearance is that they blend together?
Would square back be simply just a straight line where the 1 ended and the 2 starts?

A taper is when the hair gets progressively shorter as you go down towards the nape of the neck. A squareback is when the hair at the nape of the neck is cut in a defined line, and not tapered. Here are some so-sol photos I found when googling 'squareback haircut photos'. They're not great, but you'll get the idea....

taper
http://www.geocities.com/RodeoDrive/3696/Photos_tp.html

squareback
http://www.geocities.com/RodeoDrive/3696/Photos_sb.html

It sounds like you are going to cut your own hair, but I suggest you don't. Tapering takes skill, and you'll likely look like a weed wacker had a go at your head if you screw it up, which you probably will. Besides, it's only 5 or 10 bucks for a barber.

Seriously, teaching at both Cornwallis in the eighties and St.Jean in the nineties, we didn't care what your hair looked like when you got there, 'cause you all got a haircut anyway.  What you did over the next up-to-ten-weeks interested us far more than your 'Do. 

Relax.

Tom

BeadWindow said:
Thats crap. I went with a shaved head AND I got a sunburn. As long as it didnt affect my training no one cared. heck id say it was prefered since I never had to go for haircuts and never looked unshaven. I was called a "solid indivdual" several times because I kept my head bare and didnt require the same supervision with regards to my facial hair/hair on collar/side burns.

Sure you could be charged if your sunburn so bad that it stops training. But you could charged because you fell on the obstacle course and hurt yourself. Common sense.

You didn't get charged, count yourself lucky. I know of 3 guys on my basic that did (ok, 1 guy was in another serial), and only 1 missed any training. They came back off of their first weekend pass looking like cueballs. The next day, one of them goes to the MIR for a sunburn and missed pt that day. The Course Warrant and Course Officer had all 3 charged after they were examined by the MO and determinied to have a sunburn due to shaving their head. All of them were allowed to continue, but they were a little light in the wallet for the OC's Weekend (big piss-up in Edmonton) the next month.

So, yes, you might be ok. Yes, you might not burn. Yes, you will not have to get your haircut and waste that precious time. The tradeoff? Possibly a significant fine, a sunburn, and if it's bad enough, a Med RTU. You pick. Use that 'common sense' that BeadWindow referred to.

Back