• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Capt. Robert Semrau Charged With Murder in Afghanistan

We have a new (and from my point of view greatly improved) breed of general officer from when I was serving. Sure, there are exceptions on both sides of the scale, but sometimes senior officers, even generals have to take risks. Like anything, it can be over done and go horribly wrong like Sir Issac Brock at Queenston Heights. It is a refreshing change from the teaching when I was a junior officer that if an officer used his personal weapon, he was not doing his job. And that became more and more an article of faith, the higher in rank one went.

Back to leadership, I have seen great, inspirational leaders and frigging menaces, and that has nothing to do with their rank. Having worked with BGen Thompson, then a captain, on my last posting before retirement, I am not surpised (a) that he would take risks to make a point with his troops, and (b) that he would take a stand that would attract flak, if he thought it was the necessary thing to do. 

Old Sweat said:
.... It is a refreshing change from the teaching when I was a junior officer that if an officer used his personal weapon, he was not doing his job. And that became more and more an article of faith, the higher in rank one went ....
Ah, the concept of "my platoon/company/battalion is my weapon" - I age myself saying I remember that, too (and still appreciating officers who would lead, when needed, from the front).

Military justice system was not fair to Semrau

The Ottawa Citizen August 4, 2010

Re: Semrau verdict exposes flawed law, July 29.

I agree with columnist Dan Gardner's comment. Although Capt. Robert Semrau was cleared of charges of murder for shooting a severely wounded Taliban soldier in Afghanistan, he was convicted of disgraceful conduct. I would go farther than Gardner. The Canadian Forces judicial system fails to provide justice to its members.

Contrary to what some in the media have stated, Semrau was not tried by a "jury of his peers." The four members of the panel selected by the military failed to include anyone who ever had been in combat, and three were senior in rank to him. In addition, the military selected a lieutenant colonel as the prosecutor, but left the defence to a major. The chain of command then sent a brigadier-general, Denis Thompson, to attempt to influence the decision of the judge, a lieutenant-colonel, concerning the sentence. Thompson stated: "I don't think we have any other option but to release him from the service."

If the chain of command believes that Semrau must be released from the military, then the Chief of the Defence Staff should have had the moral courage to deliver that message personally rather than send a senior staff officer as his errand boy.

Semrau's sentencing has less to do with justice than with maintaining the reputation of Canada's military and particularly of its senior officers. Thompson, again speaking for the chain of command, claimed that Semrau's conduct undermined the Canadian-led counter-insurgency campaign in Kandahar, which depends upon winning over the local population.

The sole issue should be whether justice is served. Brigadier-General Thompson asked the judge for a sentence which would be harsh enough to send a message to members of the Forces. A harsh sentence will ensure that the message is "Don't trust the system" because fairness and justice will take second place to other considerations.

Bill Beswetherick,

Seeley's Bay

Major (retired)

© Copyright (c) The Ottawa Citizen

Read more: http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/todays-paper/Somnia/3356390/story.html#ixzz0vj2N289T

IMHO, Mr Beswetherick's letter is ill-informed nonsense. In particular:

The Canadian Forces judicial system fails to provide justice to its members.

Really? Based on what? How many summary trials/courts martial has Mr B. participated in? Has he compared how our military judicial system works compared with what happens on civvy street? My guess is the overwhelming majority of our offences get handled swiftly and fairly in comparison to "downtown".

The four members of the panel selected by the military failed to include anyone who ever had been in combat, and three were senior in rank to him

What do either of these have to do with anything? Since when do members of a CM need to have shared experiences with the accused? On that basis, it might become quite difficult to conduct CMs. I would like to see convincing evidence that the rank of those sitting as members of a CM has anything to do with the nature of the verdicts they pass. I think what Mr B would liked to have seen was a CM loaded with people who would have been prejudiced in favour of the accused.

In addition, the military selected a lieutenant colonel as the prosecutor, but left the defence to a major.

Again, an irrelevancy. What possible difference could the lawyers' ranks make? It's about their experience and skill, not their rank.

The chain of command then sent a brigadier-general, Denis Thompson, to attempt to influence the decision of the judge, a lieutenant-colonel, concerning the sentence. Thompson stated: "I don't think we have any other option but to release him from the service."

The chain of command  didn't "send" anybody. CMs don't work that way in Canada. The calling of witnesses is not a chain of command decision, for obvious reasons. They're summoned by the court. In my experience, the Officer of the Court makes sure they are present, although this may have changed) Again, Mr B misses the point that the purpose of calling ANY witness in ANY trial is to influence the judgement of those making the decisions. Otherwise, why would you bother with witnesses?

Thompson stated: "I don't think we have any other option but to release him from the service."

His assessment as an experienced senior officer, which he was no doubt requested to provide by the court. I doubt he just piped up and offered it. Like the opinion of any witness, the court can consider it or dismiss it, subject to the presiding judge's instructions.

If the chain of command believes that Semrau must be released from the military, then the Chief of the Defence Staff should have had the moral courage to deliver that message personally rather than send a senior staff officer as his errand boy.

Oh, good idea. On this principle, perhaps the CDS should attend every summary trial and court martial in the entire CF so that all present get it from the horse's mouth and not from those nasty flunky COs, Formation Commanders, and members of CMs. Another indication that Mr B doesn't really have much functional idea how things work.

Semrau's sentencing has less to do with justice than with maintaining the reputation of Canada's military and particularly of its senior officers.

Well, this is a completely unfounded and silly statement (the CM system is by intent separate from the chain of command, and its decisions subject to review by the Court Martials Appeal process), but let's consider it for a second. Actually, a big part of the purpose of having a military discipline system IS to maintain the reputation of the military. That's why we have offences like "Conduct Prejudicial", etc. An undisciplined military very quickly gets a bad reputation, as it should. And, by extension, the reputation of a military attaches itself to the leadership (senior officers). So, that much is true, I guess. But, I fail to see exactly how trying this Capt for shooting a wounded enemy, with all of its attendant publicity and controversy, can be seen as a conspiracy to maintain the image of various senior officers. Wouldn't the reverse be true, as this offence happened on their watch?

Brigadier-General Thompson asked the judge for a sentence which would be harsh enough to send a message to members of the Forces.

OH? Was he the President of the CM? The Prosecutor? Did BGen Thompson actually "ask for a sentence", or did he offer his opinion/recommendation when requested to do so?

A harsh sentence will ensure that the message is "Don't trust the system" because fairness and justice will take second place to other considerations.

Garbage. The accused's case was subject to very broad scrutiny almost as soon as the story broke. For whatever his reasons were at the moment, Capt Semrau made a decision for which, as a good officer, he must reasonably have known he would eventually have to face the consequences. You may not like that, and you may feel that only those on the scene have a right to judge, and that a "code of silence" would have been the better way to handle this. (That worked well in Somalia, right?) The point is that, based on the evidence, the court didn't agree. The sentence, like all military sentences, was most definitely intended to send a message: remember that it is a Code of Service Discipline we are talking about here: it is intended to send exemplary messages The message here is "Follow the LOAC: don't shoot the helpless wounded, even if they are the enemy".

Cheers

pbi said:
What do either of these have to do with anything? Since when do members of a CM need to have shared experiences with the accused? On that basis, it might become quite difficult to conduct CMs. I would like to see convincing evidence that the rank of those sitting as members of a CM has anything to do with the nature of the verdicts they pass. I think what Mr B would liked to have seen was a CM loaded with people who would have been prejudiced in favour of the accused.

Perhaps Mr Beswetherick can point me out to any precedent setting case "even in  the civilian" jurisdiction where a jury panel hearing arguements for and against a WASP, english speaking, smoking male accused of armed robbery (for example) was made up of, apparently, his only "peers" <--- fellow WASP english speaking and smoking males who have prior experience (thus 'expertize') with armed robbery. Yeah right. His argument is invalid and is not even applied as he seems to think it should be in the world of civilian trials.

His argument is invalid and is not even applied as he seems to think it should be in the world of civilian trials.

Exactly. My guess is that Mr B got out quite a while ago, and even when he was in the CF, wasn't very well informed on how things worked. Unfortunately, his nonsense letter got published in a major journal, with the added "credibility" that his (former) rank probably gives in the eyes of many readers.  And, I'm pretty sure, the CF won't challenge it: we're often not very good at that. (and we probably don't want to look like big mean military bullies stifling free speech to protect our own shoddy reputations)

Cheers

If I'm not mistaken Maj. (Ret'd) Bestwetherick was (maybe still is) a columnist or 'correspondent' of some sort for Scott Taylor's Esprit de Corps magazine. I think he was a CELE (Signals?) officer who retired (early) more than 25 years ago - I'm not sure why I think that but he is stuck, somewhere, in my rusty, old, creaky mental rolodex.

pbi said:
Exactly. My guess is that Mr B got out quite a while ago, and even when he was in the CF, wasn't very well informed on how things worked. Unfortunately, his nonsense letter got published in a major journal, with the added "credibility" that his (former) rank probably gives in the eyes of many readers.  And, I'm pretty sure, the CF won't challenge it: we're often not very good at that. (and we probably don't want to look like big mean military bullies stifling free speech to protect our own shoddy reputations)

Cheers

I agree with this assessment, especially the last sentence.

Any organization, be it the CF, CBSA, or even the Winnipeg Regional Health Authority have an extremely difficult time defending themselves in the media.
If the allegations made against the organization are false it's perceived that there is a "coverup" or exactly what you said...we're bullying people into shutting up.

E.R. Campbell said:
If I'm not mistaken Maj. (Ret'd) Bestwetherick was (maybe still is) a columnist or 'correspondent' of some sort for Scott Taylor's Esprit de Corps magazine. I think he was a CELE (Signals?) officer who retired (early) more than 25 years ago - I'm not sure why I think that but he is stuck, somewhere, in my rusty, old, creaky mental rolodex.

Well, that got me googling ...

Nothing but this so far:

http://www.ombudsman.forces.gc.ca/mr-sm/nr-cp/2005/1803-eng.asp

After reading Vern's link and the article, Mr.B should have quite the sharp axe. Why he is even writing such garbage is a mystery.

Tango18A said:
After reading Vern's link and the article, Mr.B should have quite the sharp axe. Why he is even writing such garbage is a mystery.

A google of "Bill Bestwetherick Esprit de Corps" reveals that Edward's rolodex is up-to-date, working and quite on-track.

And more, this time from Major "Reg" Redknap. I know Reg personally. He is a Korean veteran who was a gun position officer in 216 Battery, 81st Field Regiment RCA (later M Battery, 4 RCHA) and generally a good guy. For the Royals, his troop fired something like 425 rounds per gun in support of 3 RCR during the Chinese attack on their position in June 1953. Reg has been retired for years and years, and has spent a lot of time as a volunteer guide at the Canadian War Museum. He, at least, argues for leniency, but does not rant about the military justice system. His letter is reproduced under the Fair Comment provisions of the Copyright Act.

A terrible dilemma

The Ottawa Citizen August 5, 2010

Re: Semrau risked life to treat injured Afghans, July 27.

The statement by Brig.-Gen. Denis Thompson condemning the action of Capt. Robert Semrau sounded like a bureaucrat not a soldier -- although he claimed to be speaking for the "Canadian Forces chain of command."

It is my perception that the vast majority of serving and retired military personnel, from the senior to the most junior levels, are sympathetic towards the captain and understand the terrible dilemma that faced him.

The warrant officer who was on Semrau's team got it right. He saw nothing and heard nothing.

I was a junior officer in the Korean War. If an incident such as the one that befell Capt. Semrau had occurred, it would never have seen the light of day.

If the court decides it must punish Semrau, make the sentence a light one such as a reprimand and/or a loss of seniority. Do not ruin the career and life of a brave and competent young officer.

D.J. Redknap,

Ottawa

Major (retired)

© Copyright (c) The Ottawa Citizen

Do not ruin the career and life of a brave and competent young officer.

See, I think that ship has already sailed.  Albeit, the captain did what he thought was the best thing in the situation, I think we can all agree that once this thing got pulled out into the daylight everyone knew he'd get jackhammered for it.  Would he still be an excellent officer in the future?  Of course he would.  Would retaining him in the CF cause countless other members to go on mercy killing sprees?  Of course not.  Would it set a precedent that if you do decide to whack a guy in the field, the worst you are looking at is getting punted?  I doubt it. 
But pull the trigger he did, and even if future consequences were not in his mind at the time, surely it is obvious now.  IMO, the real punishment will be to everyone in the CF who won't get to work with him after the bureaucracy punts him for the sake of decorum.  He will move along and be tremendously successful in the private world. 

Strikes me that this case is probably just about the most controversial and divisive thing that has happened to us since the disbandment of the Airborne Regiment. What the argument reveals (IMHO) is that there are a considerable number of people, both in and out of uniform, who think that what happened should not be viewed as a crime, and that whoever witnesses an act like this would do us all a favour by just keeping quiet.  Lots of different arguments are being advanced in different places in the various media, ranging from "it was the most humane thing to do" to "there is no law in war". Underlying some of these arguments seems to be the belief that only those directly involved in an incident have the right to judge the participants, and if they did judge they would most likely vote "not guilty". We also hear that it's "the bureaucrats" or "the system" or "the brass" that want to carry out punishment, and that real soldiers would of course just let the whole thing blow over: "it would never see the light of day". It's a very powerful argument, because it goes to where we live and feel as soldiers. Maybe lots of us could imagine we would do the same thing, or maybe we've heard the anecdotes from the South African War, or the two World Wars, or Korea that suggest this kind of thing (or worse) has happened in our Army before. If people believe that otherwise honourable soldiers could have done something like this, then maybe we should say "it just happens". Maybe we should just suck it up.

So, I guess I'd have to ask four (somewhat rhetorical) questions:

-if this had been a wounded Canadian soldier, would it have been acceptable to shoot him? Perhaps, if he was about to fall into the hand of an enemy who was known to torture their PWs, could it have been OK?;

-if you came upon a serious car accident in the far reaches of a wilderness road, and medical help for a badly injured and possibly dying person might be a long time away, would it be OK to kill them to stop their suffering? Or is that argument misplaced on the battlefield?;

-at what point do we as soldiers make the decision to report what may be a serious criminal offense? When does it stop being about "protecting" a good officer or NCO that everybody likes and respects, and become a duty to uphold the law? Haven't we been there once before?; and, finally

-Is it really true that "there is no law in war but winning?" How  much do things like LOAC, the Geneva Convention, ROE, etc. really matter? Are they just stupid window dressing to what is essentially just the same old unrestrained savagery, foolishly imposed upon us by weak-kneed do-gooders and lawyers? Why bother teaching all that rubbish if we are not only not going to enforce it, but some are willing to make dark, thinly-veiled suggestions about "rats" and "squealers" who should just keep their mouths shut if they know what's good for them?

Capt Semrau probably was an excellent officer (I don't know, I only met him once, very briefly). He probably had what he thought were the best of intentions that day: he might even have wanted the same thing for himself if he were lying there injured. Lots of us on this website might. But, the point is, he broke the law that he was sworn to obey, and broke it in a way that we just cannot ignore if we want to even pretend to subscribe to code of moral conduct in war.  And for that, regardless of how unpopular it might be, he was held to account. Once his act became known, there was no legitimate choice but to deal with it.

Cheers

pbi said:
-if you came upon a serious car accident in the far reaches of a wilderness road, and medical help for a badly injured and possibly dying person might be a long time away, would it be OK to kill them to stop their suffering? Or is that argument misplaced on the battlefield?;

Cheers

This happened to three of us on the Number 1 Highway just west of Winnipeg. I can remember the vehicles were on fire. We got one out of a burning vehicle. The other vehicle was fully involved.
The flames reached a good 10-15 feet in the air and we could hear explosions. Two people were alive, trapped inside and my two guys that went there could not get them out.
That couple burned to death. They tell me that they screamed, but I didn't hear it as I was busy with the other casualty (who died en rte to hospital). He had a broken left femur, a flailed chest etc.

Shoot them? That never entered my head.

Sorry for the rant.

pbi said:
Capt Semrau probably was an excellent officer (I don't know, I only met him once, very briefly). He probably had what he thought were the best of intentions that day: he might even have wanted the same thing for himself if he were lying there injured. Lots of us on this website might. But, the point is, he broke the law that he was sworn to obey, and broke it in a way that we just cannot ignore if we want to even pretend to subscribe to code of moral conduct in war.  And for that, regardless of how unpopular it might be, he was held to account. Once his act became known, there was no legitimate choice but to deal with it.
Cheers
Very well said.  I personally do know Capt Semrau, and I consider him a close friend.  Your post, sir, was bang on.  All of it.

:salute:

pbi notes earlier that this is likely the most controversial and divisive thing to happen to the CF since the disbandment of the CAR.  Perhaps the issue extends even beyond the CF as a societal challenge, Canadian...Western...global even?  There are some who feel that Captain Semrau's actions were not callous, uncaring or inhumane, but rather understanding even sympathetic to  the condition of the dying fighter and that he took such actions, whether as part of an unspoken warriors' pact or recognition that the fighter's severe condition made any chance of recovery most unlikely, to end the fighter's suffering.  That which someone believes to be right/justifiable actions vs. law and/or society's accepted conduct?  Consider how the case of Robert Latimer and his daughter Tracy, tore at Canadian society.  Arguments abounded over whether Tracy was suffering or not, could live to old age or not, however, Robert took the life of his daughter believing that it was what he had to do.  Even while most critics of Robert Latimer acknowledge that his actions were borne of anguish, albeit misguided (for some immoral), they understood at least the logic that he presented in defence of the necessity of his actions. 

This is the dissonance that many feel when considering the case when someone takes actions that they themselves perceive to be morally correct, notwithstanding the potential legal and/or societal judgment of their actions.  Robert Latimer was found legally guilty of Second Degree Murder.  Captain Semrau was found by Courts Martial to have acted disgracefully.  Actions, no matter what they were, were taken.  There is no doubt that individuals must be held accountable for actions that are determined within the legal construct of our (Canadian/Western/global) society to have been unlawful/inappropriate.  What is difficult is when one considers, even if only slightly, that there was any understandable element as to why someone may have taken the actions they did.  While there may not be acceptance of the actions, the discussion and consideration of why actions are or are not acceptable within contemporary society is worthy of continued effort.

Regards
G2G

Yes, the Moral Highground we presently occupy.  While I agree it is desirable to hold this patch of turf, I do hope that we don't die on it should we be over run some day by someone who does not share our ideals.  Your thoughts PBI are well put and thought provoking to say the least.  At the end of the day however, we all will act in a manner we see fit regardless of the concequences and will face judgement either by ourselves or by others. 

My opinion is that second guessing policemen who make split second decisions in a violent confrontation is an unfair mistake as is second guessing individual reactions in war.  You take a reasonably ordinary cross-section of citizens,  throw them in a situation where they kill and see their friends killed, and then hold them to a standard expected back home.  War is not normal nor is the expectation of normal human reactions.

I don't see a serious problem with the time honoured Canadian tradition of discouraging such activity while overlooking it when it happens.  I have heard a post-Korea, pre-Afghanistan story along similar lines.  Are are now imposing on our soldiers the obligation to risk their lives to save a wounded enemy?  It appears so.  Tell that one to mom and dad back home.

I wonder whether the West isn't reaching a tipping point where it can never win another war because the standards we impose on our military are such that we can't.  We have tried to take the brutality out of war.  Brutality saved the world in WWII, reference the killing of millions of enemy civilians.  We attacked the enemy on all fronts available.  Does the Taliban really fear NATO?  I doubt it.  They know victory is inevitable and it is only a matter of time until Karzai and his cronies catch the last plane out of Kabul with suitcases of our money.

Back