• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian "Support Our Troops" Ribbons, Bracelets, Pins, etc

Britney and all,

I understand the not wearing them in uniform POV and whole heartedly agree. If it is not in the dress regs then it is not to be worn.

But how about this:

If someone was to start up a fundraiser for a military objective such as for ensuring that each person on a tour got a care package or for help with military families back in Canada I would certainly contribute.

If the bracelet costs $2.00 each and the charity asks for 3-5 buck in contributions it would not be a terrible thing.

Wear the damn bracelet or not it is up to you, but to support the troops that are over in Ghan or on any other overseas task is not a terrible thing.

Yes the bracelets are a fad but if it works then what the hey.

My .02

GF

If someone was to start up a fundraiser for a military objective such as for ensuring that each person on a tour got a care package or for help with military families back in Canada I would certainly contribute.
Excellent idea, IMO. If the funds could be directed to something along the lines of  http://www.anysoldier.com/ or http://www.treatanysoldier.com/

Those are both great links.

I see the seeds of an idea forming.

Maybe in OD with a Canada Flag and Support our troops or some such simple slogan on it.

GF

Sorry, posers just annoy me for some reason....Brittney Spears....who are you too talk about being a poser that you can't come up with something just a little bit more original.

If people want to show a little more appreciation for the military by wearing a bracelet or whatever else they wish, what's it too you.   I'm a military wife (nough support shown right there if I do say so myself), but I also have a magnet on our family car, wear a pin, post "Support Our Canadian Troops" anyway and anywhere that I can, and intend on getting one of those oh so fashionable bracelets.

Don't you have more important things to grip about???  Let me also say Brittney:  that the money raised for these car magnets and pins go towards the CF and Family Resource Centre which benefits the families of the CF, that's the benefit of them.

:cdn:

Canadian military wife, who's soldier is currently on his 4th tour; and I couldn't be prouder

If people want to show a little more appreciation for the military by wearing a bracelet or whatever else they wish, what's it too you.

Nothing. Like I already said, it's a free country, do whatever you want. If you think buying a Chinese trinket will help keep your husband safe, all the power in the world to you.

I'd personally rather have more and better equipment, training and leadership, but I suppose that's not PC enough for today. Better to stick to something safer.

Don't you have more important things to grip about???

I sure do. You could do a search and see a whole bunch of them.

Let me also say Brittney:  that the money raised for these car magnets and pins go towards the CF and Family Resource Centre which benefits the families of the CF, that's the benefit of them.

Great, but I'd rather put my effort towards making the goverment fund these things properly in the first place. That is kind of their job, I think.

One could almost make a case that the funding of the MFRC 'cult' out of an already strained DND funding envelope has INCREASED the odds of Canadians dying on operations due to a crunch in training resources and equipment rust-out.

Tom

I have to disagree with you TCBF. Military personnel are not robots, they have families and loved ones who provide support for them. The MFRC provides support for these families so that they can better support their serving loved one. I think some of the programs the MFRC offer families are way too valuable to lose.

As for the Bracelets, pins, etc, I think the only way to get more funding for the military is to educate the public about what the military's role is in Canada. If my wearing a yellow ribbon pin gets someone to question me about it then it will open a line of communication so that I can tell them what my serving loved one is doing for them and their country.

Sometimes doing something small like wearing a bbracelethelps people to feel connected to what their loved one is doing , especially when that person is on tour. I am sure it's hard going overseas to some foreign country leaving everyone you know and love behind, but it's also hard being the one left behind. If a bracelet helps someone to feel like they are doing their part to support their loved one then why sshouldn'tthey wear it.

The best support for a soldiers family on tour is his Regiment.  The MFRC has arsed up everything they tried, and only the Regimental FSC has saved the day.  The reaction of the fonctionires at the MFRC?  Try and absorb the Regl Family Support Cells so they can't make the 'crats at the MFRC look bad.

Get rid of them.  Make the units do the job they are mandated to do:  look after their soldiers and their families.

Tom 

One could almost make a case that the funding of the MFRC 'cult' out of an already strained DND funding envelope has INCREASED the odds of Canadians dying on operations to to a crunch in training resources and equipment rust-out.

Hmm, that's an interesting idea. I'm not qualified to have any meaningful opinion on this. My own family's experiences with the MFRC has generally been positive, and I think they do a pretty good job with what they have.

[most likely yet another unpopular, politically incorrect opinion]

My "gripe" with the yellow wristbands is the implication that I am some kind of victim of circumstance or a charitable cause, who requires some kind of extra attention or sympathy from the public soley because I chose this career.

Look, guys, the pay of a soldier may be modest by civillian standards, but it's more than enough to get by if you manage it sensibly, and we're all big boys and girls and presumably sensible enough to handle firearms. I like free stuff as much as the next person, but I do work for a living. Got too much money? Donate it to a worthwhile cause, like Tsunami Relief, or buy something nice for the children of Afghanistan. Too much time on your hands? Read army.ca and learn about Afghanistan, the big bad world, what the troops really need, then write your MP and demand that the gov't provide it. They still worked for you, last time I checked.

Probably more effort than tossing down a toonie and buying a plastic bracelet, but I can hope, eh?

[/most likely yet another unpopular, politically incorrect opinion]

"most likely yet another unpopular, politically incorrect opinion"

- I'd vote for you.

Tom

I just bought 5 of the "True Blue Heros" braclets
all the money goes to the familys of fallen police officers
there a little more expensive but I think the money goes to the right cause

Hi Buddy:
True Blue Heroes Bracelets will be available for quite some time and are $4 each
and available in both adult and child sizes. To order :please send a cheque or
money order payable to DARRYL RICE
Mail To:DURHAM REGIONAL POLICE SERVICE
  77 Centre St.N
  Oshawa,Ont
  L1G-4B7
Once I have received your payment along with your order and a return mailing
address I will ship your order right away
Darryl

Well, there we go.  I can now, guilt free, leave the Mess, walk across the street, and go to bed.

Tom

TCBF said:
One could almost make a case that the funding of the MFRC 'cult' out of an already strained DND funding envelope has INCREASED the odds of Canadians dying on operations due to a crunch in training resources and equipment rust-out.

Tom

you should know that the MFRC is not heavily funded by the government at all, (rather hardly at all)  but rather by donations from the public and the United way.

TCBF said:
The best support for a soldiers family on tour is his Regiment.   The MFRC has arsed up everything they tried, and only the Regimental FSC has saved the day.   The reaction of the fonctionires at the MFRC?   Try and absorb the Regl Family Support Cells so they can't make the 'crats at the MFRC look bad.

Get rid of them.   Make the units do the job they are mandated to do:   look after their soldiers and their families.

Tom  

The regiments really do crap for families while loved ones are away except for giving them the run around.

I would like a bracelet about twice the size of the "big boned Teenager ones" What a great replacement for boot bands, nice and wide, made of silicone so it will take a long time to wear out.  Only not Livestrong ones since I can't afford to pay Lance every time I use them.

TCBF said:
The best support for a soldiers family on tour is his Regiment.   The MFRC has arsed up everything they tried, and only the Regimental FSC has saved the day.   The reaction of the fonctionires at the MFRC?   Try and absorb the Regl Family Support Cells so they can't make the 'crats at the MFRC look bad.

Get rid of them.   Make the units do the job they are mandated to do:   look after their soldiers and their families.

Tom  

As great as this is, there is not always support for the CF member from his unit, and especially not enough for the spouse and kids(or other family member). The families are the ones forgotten during a deployment. The MFRC is an indispensable resource for CF families. I have not only utilized their services but have also volunteered for them and I fully support them.

The regiments really do crap for families while loved ones are away except for giving them the run around.
As great as this is, there is not always support for the CF member from his unit, and especially not enough for the spouse and kids(or other family member). The families are the ones forgotten during a deployment. The MFRC is an indispensable resource for CF families. I have not only utilized their services but have also volunteered for them and I fully support them.
Well....our BN actually works quite intimately with the MFRC when the unit is deployed, even if it's just a sub-unit from the BN.....at least in Winnipeg it was, who knows about Shilo.

Well, there have been units deploying away from their 'Home Stations' long before there was MFRCs, and 'good' units looked after the families of those away.

I should point out that the expectations of a few of today's younger families may be what is driving this MFRC craze.  One is tempted to surmize that if some families were not in the military they would be totally  incapable of administering themselves in civie life.  I am especially dissapointed with the 'modern woman' who took pride in her independance - administrative and financial - before getting married, then, upon becoming a service spouse, immediately crumbled into a quivering heap at the padre's feet, unable to go to the bank, drive, shovel snow, pay the bills, etc. In short, incapable of doing all of the adult things she readily did when single. 

The now out of use term was 'administrative burden'. 

Families need timely and accurate passage of information, not mollycoddling.

Tom 

Blakey said:
Well....our BN actually works quite intimately with the MFRC when the unit is deployed, even if it's just a sub-unit from the BN.....at least in Winnipeg it was, who knows about Shilo.

I wish more units were like that. Sadly you get families that have been posted around the country, away from any supports they used to know and they really do depend on the MFRC and the units for information and advice. Without the help of the Halifax MFRC, my first year here in Halifax would have sent me into a severe depression, I am sure of it.

TCBF,
I agree with your points. I've noticed families where when Dad is going in the field for two weeks, it becomes a nightmare. We're not talking about tours here. Just taskings or training for a week or two. I've seen a wife calling back to the unit to get guys to pick up dog sh*t on her lawn...

Don't get me wrong, I'm one of the first guys to think about care packages for the boys away or to help out the ladies with deployed husbands. (90% of the time, there is a good reason to help them out). There is some spouses though, who agreed to see their boy friend signing in (first B.E.), but realised that the money was one think, but they could'nt stand being away from their mothers...

Don't want to create a controversy or something,  but members need supporting and understanding spouses big time  "SUPPORT YOUR SPOUSE" is a good bumper sticker moto...

Back