• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian police need more armour & firepower. The CF should not be needed to support.

gdragon.jpg
The SQ got some muscle with it's GI (groupe d'intervention).

pbi said:
... Right after the G8 Conference was over, I toured the CPS logistics site out at the Calgary airport. They had two South0-African built armoured wheeled tactical vehicles that were designed to assault aircraft. They were fitted with a hydraulic ramp on the roof, that could be controlled from inside the vehicle. I don't know what happened to them, either...

Do you recall ther exact make or model? Any other hints? Would like to see what this looked like...

Unfortunately, I can't recall the make. They were four wheeled, with a "bus-type" configuration. I would guess they could carry about 6-10 fully equipped officers. The bodies seemed to be armoured: the crew doors on the sides were quite thick. Wheels and windows were protected by screens, and they had firing ports for small arms. They were not fitted with any kind of launchers or weapons stations. The roof mounted ramps were intended to allow rapid entry/exit  to/from an aircraft. Sorry I can't recall more but if there any folks on army.ca who are connected with the CPS they might be able to help out.

BTW the CPS G8 logistics warehouse was a truly amazing site, containing literally tons of  brand new public order gear that had been bought for CPS for the G8: everything from personal protective gear to baton guns to EOD gear. Not sure what happened to it all: it seemed to be far more than CPS could justify having on a normal basis.

Cheers

Is this it:  http://www.gdls.com/programs/rg12-mars.html

Yes, almost for sure: it looks identical. The only thing is that this veh is a General Dynamics product, but the CPS guy touring me around told me that it was South African. Otherwise it's a match.

Cheers

This veh goes back to the days of GM Defence and (like the RG-31) is a partnership with a South African company. GM Defence was bought by GDLS and so, it may infact be the same vehicle.

Found it now, thanks.

rg12_mars.jpg

Interesting, Ive seen RG-12's before but not with that ramp system.

Back