• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

British Military Current Events

Daft & Barmy:

You are wrong: A Gentleman is a man who gets out of his tub to have a pee!

Cheers,

tango22a

Territorial Army loses radios to frontline troops

IAN BRUCE, The Herald, Defence Correspondent, September 09 2008

THE Territorial Army is being stripped of communications equipment, issued less than a year ago, to replace breakages and shortages on the front line in Afghanistan.

The Herald can reveal that backpack infantry sets for the £2.4bn Bowman tactical radio system and even vehicle-mounted versions have been commandeered from the part-timers to replace damaged kit for the regulars fighting the Taliban.

TA veterans fear wholesale looting of the new digital system will drive many citizen soldiers eager to learn military IT skills out of uniform.

The TA's signallers are to be re-issued with the Cold War-era Clansman radios, dating back to 1982, to allow them to communicate on exercises without resorting to insecure mobile phones.

Some disillusioned TA soldiers who contacted The Herald say that they were due to attend "Bowman camps" next month to undergo intensive instruction on the secure communications network but will now have no equipment on which to train.

One signals officer said: "So much for the One Army' concept being touted by MoD about part-timers and regulars. No one has a problem with the kit ending up where it's needed most but this is a major blow to training plans and to long-term TA capability and credibility.

"We've been told that any TA signaller called up for either Afghanistan or Iraq will be given pre-deployment Bowman training in the main depot at Chilwell near Nottingham to enable him to fulfil his role on operations. No-one believes that. It's a complex system and there's simply not enough time to teach people how to use it properly in a brief few weeks.

"The basic issues here are that not enough radios and other equipment were ordered in the first place and much of what was delivered is too fragile for realistic battlefield use. It's simply not squaddie-proof', with wires that break easily and special batteries that are scarce and also defy recharging."

Bowman was supposed to revolutionise command and control in the Army. Its encryption software allowed commanders to talk securely for the first time without the need to encode messages.

But the radio's coverage sometimes does not extend from one side of a base to the other, while a shortage of batteries means soldiers are being ordered to turn off radios until they come under attack.

An Army source said: "Many TA units have also lost training access to machine-guns and grenade-launchers needed urgently by troops on operations. Realistically, there is only so much kit to go round. It has to be allocated where it is needed most."

Cheez.... this sounds very familiar to anyone in the CF Primary reserves...

I just hope that the MoD (and the CF) generates purchase orders to replace the lost / damaged kit that is being stripped out of the TA / Reserve units for operational use....

Bowman... TCCS... same old same old IMHO

Boo friggin' hoo.

In the 80s, the TA units got MILAN and Clansman years before some regular battalions (like mine) because they were tasked for a 'Central Front' role vs. 'Out of NATO Area Ops'. This was way more important than equipping the regiments that might have to go off and fight in the Falklands or something, apparently. Just before the Task Force sailed south in '82, they had to run around and strip the TA units of MILAN and Clansman, then train up 5 Bde and 3 Cdo Bde at light speed before they went into action.

Absurd? Yes.

Payback's a beyatch! ;D

Well, if Andy McNab is angry...

SAS author Andy McNab warns of mental breakdown among troops

The SAS veteran Andy McNab has launched a scathing attack on the Government's treatment of British troops after a poll found that two thirds of the public thought their care was "disgraceful".

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/onthefrontline/2700037/SAS-author-Andy-McNab-warns-of-mental-breakdown-among-troops.html

daftandbarmy said:
Boo friggin' hoo.

In the 80s, the TA units got MILAN and Clansman years before some regular battalions (like mine) because they were tasked for a 'Central Front' role vs. 'Out of NATO Area Ops'. This was way more important than equipping the regiments that might have to go off and fight in the Falklands or something, apparently. Just before the Task Force sailed south in '82, they had to run around and strip the TA units of MILAN and Clansman, then train up 5 Bde and 3 Cdo Bde at light speed before they went into action.

Absurd? Yes.

Payback's a beyatch! ;D
Its a funny old world isnt it? Its every soldiers right to have a whinge about things, even when they know they're for the greater good. "I was going to get radio qual'd but now i cant cos the Reg's stole our brand spanking new radio's to use in Afghanistan where they'll save lives and help the boys out. How unfair is that!?!?!...Actually not very, they do need it more..."
Better look into building that bridge next weekend boys, it'll help you get over it.

Hales.... nothing wrong with "borrowing" the kit you need "right this very minute" BUT, someone up the food chain has got to get his pencil working and place an order for replacement kit.... cause there isn't anything left in reserve

From Times Online September 8, 2008

Service appointments: Army

Brigadier T. R. Urch (Late RE) to be Commander 1 Mechanised Brigade, with effect from December 2008;
Brigadier R. F. P. Felton (Late AAC) to be Commander 4 Mechanised Brigade, with effect from April 2009;
Brigadier N. Welch, (Late RGBWLI) to be Commander 7 Armoured Brigade, with effect from March 2009;
Brigadier I. Hooper (Late R Signals), to be Commander 1 Signal Brigade, with effect from July 2008;
Brigadier N. Marshall Late RA, to be Commander Artillery HQ 3rd (United Kingdom) Division, with effect from April 2009;
Brigadier I. G. Harrison (Late RA) to be Chief Joint Fires and Influence Branch, Headquarters Allied Command Europe Rapid Reaction Corps, with effect from December 2008;
Brigadier R. M. B. Nitsch (Late REME) to be Commander 102 Logistic Brigade, with effect from December 2008;
Brigadier S. P. Hodder (Late RE) to be Commander 43 (Wessex) Brigade, with effect from January 2009;
Brigadier A. T. Davies (Late RLC) to be Commander 104 Logistic Support brigade, with effect from December 2008;
Brigadier J. I. S. Stevenson (Late RS) to be Commandant School of Infantry, with effect from December 2008;
Brigadier A. J. Deas (Late RLC) to be Commandant Defence College of Logistics and Personnel Administration, with effect from January 2009;
Brigadier M. J. Hallas (Late Int Corps) to be Director Intelligence Corps/Commandant Defence Intelligence and Security Centre, with effect from January 2009;
Brigadier M. A. P. Carleton-Smith (Late IG) to be Director Army Resources and Plans, with effect from January 2009;
Brigadier J. G. Lorimer (Late Para) to be Assistant Chief of Staff J3 Permanent Joint Headquarters, with effect from June 2009;
Brigadier A. P. Bristow (Late R Signals) to be Assistant Chief of Staff, Command and Battlespace Management, Headquarters Land Forces, with effect from July 2008;
Brigadier J. T. Jackson (Late RGJ), to be Commander Recruiting Group, Army Recruiting and Training Division, with effect from January 2009;
Brigadier S. L. Porter (Late R Anglian) to be Division Head (J5 Plans and Policy) Supreme Headquarters Allied Powers Europe, with effect from January 2009;
Brigadier E. O. Forster-Knight (Late AGC(RMP)) to be Provost Marshal (Army), with effect from March 2009;
Brigadier T. P. Evans (Late LI), to be Chief Joint Force Operations, Permanent Joint Headquarters, with effect from December 2008;
Brigadier P. J. Fabricius (Late RAMC) to be Commandant and Defence Postgraduate Medical Dean, with effect from December 2008;
Brigadier W. N. Aldridge (Late RRF), to be Commander 42 (North West) Brigade, with effect from September 2008;
Brigadier A. T. Davis (Late RLC) to be Commander 104 Logistic Support Brigade, with effect from January 2009;
Brigadier M. T. Griffiths (Late KORBR) to be Director Personnel Services (Army), Headquarters Land Forces, with effect from September 2008;
Brigadier D. J. Clements (Late R Anglian), to be Director Army Personnel Strategy, Headquarters Land Forces, with effect from October 2008;
Brigadier R. E. Nugee (Late RA) to be Director Manning (Army), Headquarters Land Forces, with effect from December 2008;
Brigadier M. P. Maer (Late PWRR) to be Chief of Staff Field Army, Headquarters Land Forces, with effect from January 2009;
Brigadier J. D. Bevan (Late RLC) to be Deputy Chief of Staff Combat Service Support, Headquarters Allied Command Europe Rapid Reaction Corps, with effect from December 2008;
Brigadier N. P. Moffat (Late AGC(SPS)) to be Director Staff and Personnel Support (Army), with effect from April 2009;
Brigadier S. G. Vowles (Late AGC(ALS)) to be Brigadier Operational Law Branch, with effect from October 2008;
Brigadier P. D. McEvoy (Late AGC(ALS)) to be Brigadier Prosecutions. Headquarters Army Prosecution Authority, with effect from October 2008;
Brigadier J. M. R. Henderson (Late REME) to be Director Logistics, Headquarters Land Forces, with effect from December 2008;
Brigadier M. P. Dodson (Late HLDRS) to be Deputy Military Secretary, Army Personnel Centre, with effect from August 2008;
Brigadier C. L. Wilks (Late RE) to be Director Engineering Battlefield Infrastructure Group, Director General Land Equipment, Defence Equipment and Support, with effect from November 2008;
Brigadier P. J. Davies (Late R Signals) to be Defence Information Infrastructure Integrated Project Team Leader, Defence Equipment and Support, with effect from October 2008;
Brigadier J. F. Rowan (Late RAMC) to be Commander, Headquarters 2 Medical Brigade, with effect from August 2009;
Brigadier J. T. Graham (Late RAMC) to be Director Medical Plans, Headquarters Army Medical Directorate, with effect from August 2009.

Nice to see a couple of guys who were 'sprogs' under me now outranking me by a huge margin. Still, I've got the dirt!  ;D

I will, with effort, restrain myself about making any remarks about the shocking behaviour of Engineers  :o

British soldiers filmed using illegal taser torture device

Two British soldiers, filmed apparently stunning each other with an illegal electric-shock torture device, are facing disciplinary action.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/onthefrontline/2682702/British-soldiers-filmed-using-illegal-taser-torture-device.html
By Chris Irvine
Last Updated: 5:21PM BST 04 Sep 2008

The two men, claiming to be from the Royal Engineers, appeared to have filmed themselves with the electric-shock device while off-duty at a military base in Iraq.

The footage, posted on YouTube and entitled 'Taser fun!', involves the two young soldiers commenting on how much it hurts to be tasered.
"We're gonna taser each other," says one, before they move on to attack each other, shouting out in apparent pain. After being shocked with the device, one of the soldiers says: 'Don't get done with a taser - it f****** hurts.'

Human rights organisation Amnesty International confirmed the device was an electric-shock baton, and the organisation is now demanding to know how British troops gained access to them.

Amnesty International UK's Oliver Sprague said: "What Amnesty wants to know is why are British soldiers brandishing an electro-shock baton? These devices are illegal to own or sell in the UK because they are so widely used in torture all over the world.

"Electro-shock batons inflict severe pain at the touch of a button and leave no marks, earning them the title 'the torturer's tool of choice'.

"We're not saying that these soldiers have used this to inflict pain on anyone except each other. But it's seriously worrying if British soldiers are able to obtain these devices so easily and film themselves mucking about with torture equipment."

The pair, who have not yet been identified, are likely to be disciplined, according to military authorities.

Ummm... Nah - couldnt be a couple of Sappers with too much "down" time on their hands...
Must be Al Quaida impostors trying to get us Sappers into hot water.

I'm trying to figure out why this is such a big frigging deal.  They weren't using them on anyone but themselves. ???

cameron said:
I'm trying to figure out why this is such a big frigging deal.  They weren't using them on anyone but themselves. ???

The problem, as AI sees it, is that these devices are in the hands of British soldiers at all.  I mean, heavy artillery, ATGMs, machine guns, rifles, and bayonets are one thing, but we're talking about ELECTRICITY ,here, man. 

Amnesty International UK's Oliver Sprague is just trying to front for the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to (military) Animals 

Kat Stevens said:
The problem, as AI sees it, is that these devices are in the hands of British soldiers at all.  I mean, heavy artillery, ATGMs, machine guns, rifles, and bayonets are one thing, but we're talking about ELECTRICITY ,here, man. 

Don't underestimate these people.

I've seen British soldiers doing semi-scientific experiments on how many pints of (name the new beer that just came out) can be consumed before unconsciousness was reached, how long you can hold a lit cigarette to your forearm. There was also an MP who tried to replicate a trick he'd seen on TV involving a semi-auto pistol (if you press a loaded one really hard against your skull and pull the trigger the slide won't go fully forward and you'll be saved - wrong again) and shot himself in the head.

Wait until they issue those lasers we keep hearing about. I know for sure that someone will see if they can boil up a brew faster with it, or test it out on their mucker's bugger's grips. 8)

Service for Troubles soldiers

Gordon Brown and Baroness Thatcher have attended a service in London to honour the thousands of soldiers who served in Northern Ireland during the Troubles.

More than 300,000 soldiers were involved in Operation Banner, the official title for military operations, between 1969 and 2007. In that time 763 military personnel died and more than 6,000 were injured.
The Prince of Wales and Conservative leader David Cameron also attended the service at St Paul's Cathedral. Hundreds of former soldiers and the widows and families of many of those who were killed also attended. After the service, about 700 veterans marched from the cathedral to Guildhall for a reception, hosted by the Prince of Wales.

Mary Moreland served in the Ulster Defence Regiment with her husband John, who was shot dead in 1988. She said the armed forces should be thanked for their role in Northern Ireland.
"There's a lot of people, a silent majority of people out there who really respect and really appreciate what the services did, and appreciate that they couldn't live the way they're living today if that sacrifice hadn't been made. "Every day is a remembrance for people that suffered, and I think what we have to do is not live in the past, but remember it. Don't let us rewrite history, let us remember it how it was, and let us move forward."

Steve Norman, who served on three tours of NI with the Royal Anglian Regiment, was shot and wounded in the Creggan estate in Londonderry in 1973. "To a great extent, a lot of British soldiers do feel a bit let down or ignored or the sacrifice has not not been recognised, but today goes a long way to redress that," he said.

In his sermon, the Bishop of London, Richard Chartres, praised the "exemplary" way soldiers conducted themselves during their service. "I've been able to see personally in other theatres how the lessons of NI have entered the DNA of the British armed forces, who in my view combined a remarkable degree of military efficiency with a capacity to engage in a humane way with the civilian population."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/northern_ireland/7607360.stm

IRA intelligence ‘passed to MI5’

The IMC believes the IRA is giving its information on dissidents to the British and Irish governments
June Caldwell

INTELLIGENCE gathered by the Provisional IRA on dissidents is thought to have been passed to the British and Irish governments.
The latest report from the Independent Monitoring Commission (IMC) says that IRA intelligence gathering is set to continue as long as dissident republican organisations are considered a threat.
The report, published last week, confirms that the IRA has “abandoned its terrorist structures, preparations and capability” but reveals that republicans are still gathering information. This is “not in itself improper if it does not involve illegal methods or intent”, the report adds. “We believe that it is for the purpose of ascertaining the nature of any threat from dissidents.”
Des Dalton, vice-president of Republican Sinn Fein, said that the findings of the IMC report confirm what his organisation forecast would be the role of the IRA movement. “They have became part of the apparatus of British rule in Ireland, acting as an arm of the British intelligence service,” he said.
Dissident republicans have been targeted by an increased number of house raids. “There were reports in the last year that about 60% of MI5’s covert technical operations [involved] dissidents,” Dalton said.
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/ireland/article4693038.ece

Well.  I guess that news item has "turned off quite a few taps".  Sort of like the TV station broadcasting live from a Hostage Situation, while the perp sits inside the house watching everyting the Police are doing on TV in real time.

George Wallace said:
Well.  I guess that news item has "turned off quite a few taps".  Sort of like the TV station broadcasting live from a Hostage Situation, while the perp sits inside the house watching everyting the Police are doing on TV in real time.

I doubt it. It is a time honoured tradition for various Irish paramilitary organizations to let certain information 'leak out' so that someone else can do their dirty work for them.

Back