• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

British Military Current Events

British establish new army division

YORK, England, Aug. 6 (UPI) -- The British Ministry of Defense announced the official establishment a new divisional headquarters for the British army.

A ceremony establishing the new Headquarters 6th United Kingdom Division was held Tuesday, officially creating a third deployable divisional headquarters for the British army, the British Ministry of Defense reported.

The 6th Division was created to support NATO operations in Afghanistan. Officials say the new division is expected to deploy to the volatile former Taliban-held territory in southern Afghanistan in 2009.

"This is a great moment for the division," British Maj. Gen. Jacko Page said in a statement.

"We are proud to be at the forefront of the nation's contribution to the campaign in Afghanistan. I have had the opportunity to get to know that country and its people. They have had much to endure in the past several decades and deserve a better future."

Blackadder1916 said:
British establish new army division

YORK, England, Aug. 6 (UPI) -- The British Ministry of Defense announced the official establishment a new divisional headquarters for the British army.

"This is a great moment for the division," British Maj. Gen. Jacko Page said in a statement.

"We are proud to be at the forefront of the nation's contribution to the campaign in Afghanistan. I have had the opportunity to get to know that country and its people. They have had much to endure in the past several decades and deserve a better future."

I would say that this is a great moment for his career too!

Just in case you thought that 'The Troubles' were completely over...

Northern Ireland Devices made safe by Army experts

Devices made safe by Army experts

Three firebombs found during a security alert in north Belfast have been made safe by Army bomb experts.
Police said the incendiary devices were viable and had been left at addresses in Halliday's Road, New Lodge Road and North Queen Street.
The devices have since been removed and taken away for further examination.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/northern_ireland/7555645.stm

Sun man joins Paras' mission

"I left after a week. The Paras do it for six months and they can't wait for their next mission."

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/campaigns/our_boys/article1548404.ece

It looks like RAF helicopters continue to be the greatest enemy of the SAS… unfortunately

Three dead SAS soldiers are named

Three SAS soldiers killed in Iraq have been named for the first time after a coroner overturned anonymity rulings.
Sgt John Battersby, 31, of Lancashire, and Trooper Lee Fitzsimmons, 26, from Peterborough, died when their Puma helicopter crashed in Baghdad in 2007.
In a separate incident, SAS soldier Nicholas Brown, 34, died in a fire fight in Iraq on 26 March this year.
Hereford Coroner David Halpern lifted a court order that had prevented Mr Fitzsimmons being named.
His mother Jacqui Auty spoke of her "aching loss" and said the last few months had been "absolute hell".
Mr Halpern had imposed reporting restrictions in December following requests from the Ministry of Defence and the soldiers' families but they were revoked following applications from the media.
However, lawyers for media groups contested the orders and the MoD said it did not need to have them continued.
"I felt I couldn't sustain them just for the privacy of the families, much as I would wish to see their privacy respected as much as possible," he said.
Policy change?
The coroner said he interpreted the MoD's new stance on allowing the SAS soldiers to be named as a change of policy - although it has not been described as such.
"I think it is a change of policy, but it was put to me on the basis that they will consider each incident on its merits and particular circumstances," he said.
However, it is understood that the SAS did not want the men to be named. 

Friends and family paid tribute to Mr Fitzsimmons, who was killed when an RAF Puma came down near the town of Salman Pak, on the outskirts of the Iraqi capital.
In a statement, his mother said: "The last few months have been absolute hell.
"Inside, I still can't believe that it has happened and that I'll never see or hold Lee again.
"It is of some small comfort knowing that he loved his job, knew the risks, and wouldn't have had it any other way."
Mr Fitzsimmons, a keen runner, joined the Royal Marines in 1999 aged 17. He saw active service in both Iraq and Afghanistan, and leaves a younger sister and brother.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7530251.stm

Mech Infantry troops to go for war gaming with British Army

Press Trust Of India / New Delhi August 22, 2008, 18:46 IST

To further defence ties with the United Kingdom, India for the first time will send its Mechanised troops to the country to pitch their skills during land warfare exercises with their British counterparts beginning August 29.

"Mechanised infantry troops of the Indian Army will carry out joint training and exercises with UK Army from August 29 in that country," an Army spokesperson said here today.

Army chief General Deepak Kapoor, who will be in the UK during September on a scheduled visit, would be witnessing the Indian troops training and exercising with the British troops at the Land Warfare Centre in UK.

"These exercises and training programme was not part of our annual plan this year, but were scheduled following an invitation from the UK Army troops as a reciprocal gesture," an army official said.

The UK troops had earlier participated in joint training exercise with the Indian troops in India last year.

The Indian contingent of 126 men would be drawn from the 16 Mechanised Infantry Regiment and they would be at the Salibury Plains-based Land Warfare Centre till September 19.

During their stay, the Indian troops would train and exercise with the British Army troops of the 3rd Mercian Regiment, an amalgamation of old British Army units that have served in India in the mid-19th Century.

The training will be at the battalion-group level and will be followed by two joint operational manoeuvres, 'Exercise Lions Strike' and 'Exercise Wessex Warriors'.

The British army and the Indian army have long had close ties.
Having fought alongside each other on pert much every continent, it was inevitable that their relationship would be renewed.

Soldier is youngest to become Major

Lancashire Evening Post 21 August 2008  By Sonja Astbury  Education Reporter

A Lancashire soldier has become the youngest ever to hold the rank of Major.

As a schoolboy growing up in Preston Sam McGrath wanted to be a spy, stuntman or car salesman.

Thanks to his careers teacher, who told him to forget the idea of becoming a salesman, the former Our Lady's High School pupil has just been appointed the youngest substantive (permanent) major in the British Army for 17 years.

At 29, Sam now holds a top job in the elite Parachute Regiment.

After doing A-levels at Preston College he went off to university in Leeds and then joined the army as an officer cadet at Sandhurst.

He has travelled the world and nine years on he now selects the next generation of Paras.

Sam, of Fulwood, said: "My teacher suggested if I wanted to be a spy or stuntman I join the Army and I have never looked back, it has been fantastic.

"I've done two tours of Iraq, two tours of Afghanistan, one in Northern Ireland and Macedonia.

"I'm also a jungle warfare and survival instructor, a demolitions officer and I've been on exercises in Kenya, Belize, Brunei, Jordan and most of the Baltic states."

Sam, who married former Our Lady's pupil Annie Merlot in January, is now studying part time for a masters' degree at Lancaster University.

Although he loves his job, he misses being on manoeuvres, so he has organised a massive fund raising endurance race which he is hoping his civilian pals from across the city will join to help boost funds for the Help for Heroes charity and a paras fund.

Sam said: "We've got 400 runners so far for the run at Catterick then there's a para challenge which anyone can take part in.

"For the first time since the Second World War the whole of the Parachute Regiment has been deployed on operations at the same time and my job meant I didn't go.

"I felt a bit left out so needed to do something to contribute to what my friends and colleagues are doing."

The events take place on September 14 at Catterick Barracks in North Yorkshire and details are available on his website at www.paras10.com

Blackadder1916 said:
Soldier is youngest to become Major

Lancashire Evening Post 21 August 2008  By Sonja Astbury  Education Reporter

A Lancashire soldier has become the youngest ever to hold the rank of Major.

Not to detract from his achievements, but he's in 10 PARA - the TA. The youngest I've seen a Regular Army PARA Major is 30 years old.

God bless the liberal democracy...

300 IRA members to fight convictions and seek compensation· Move follows republican man's successful appeal

Up to 300 IRA members are to attempt to have their convictions overturned and sue the British government for compensation for wrongful imprisonment, the Guardian has learned.

Some former inmates of the Maze and other prisons during the Troubles have consulted lawyers and prisoners' groups on how to quash convictions, many of which they allege were secured through tampered evidence and confessions extracted under torture and duress.

The move follows the success of Danny Morrison, Sinn Féin's former publicity director, in overturning his 1991 conviction for the false imprisonment of IRA informer Sandy Lynch a year earlier.

The Criminal Cases Review Commission recommended that his case go back to the court of appeal, which this summer cleared him. Morrison, who coined the phrase "ballot box and Armalite strategy" in the 1980s, is in line for substantial compensation.

The Guardian has been told that at least 300 former prisoners, the overwhelming majority of them held on IRA wings of the H-blocks in the Maze, are planning to use Morrison's case as a precedent to have their own convictions overturned.

geo said:
... send em to Afghanistan for a month or two

Good idea. Most would be familiar with IEDs. Maybe we could use them to sweep whole operational zones, after they get their pardons of course!

I suppose some of them will know about these latest devices:

Devices made safe by Army experts

Three firebombs found during a security alert in north Belfast have been made safe by Army bomb experts.
Police said the incendiary devices were viable and had been left at addresses in Halliday's Road, New Lodge Road and North Queen Street.
The devices have since been removed and taken away for further examination.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/northern_ireland/7555645.stm

Remember the joke about "polish" mine detectors.....

New model..."mick" mine detectors

Being of Irish ancestry myself, I say "ouch" at that.  :crybaby:

But, fair one anyway.  ;D

Soldiers' lives are being put at risk by failings with the Army's £2.4 billion radio system, senior generals have been warned.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/onthefrontline/2608941/Broken-2.4bn-radio-put-troops-lives-in-danger.html

Quote: "An infantry commander in Helmand described the system, the second most expensive piece of equipment in British military history after the RAF's Eurofighter, as "astonishingly bad"."
---
It is no comfort to note that the Canadian military is not alone in mismanaging large projects.

Army equipment scandal: 'My son did not volunteer for this'
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/onthefrontline/2608942/Army-equipment-scandal-My-son-did-not-volunteer-for-this.html

The mother of a soldier killed in Iraq is suing the the Government for negligence and a breach of her son's human rights.  Her son was riding in a land rover in Basra when he was killed.  Quote: "The Army had a choice of two vehicles, a Snatch Land Rover or a heavily-armoured Warrior, but the Warrior couldn't be used because the Army didn't want to antagonise the locals. It is because of that decision that my son died.  My son volunteered to serve his country but he didn't volunteer to serve in an Army which would send him to war with inadequate equipment."
---

Remember when the Brits criticized the Americans for their "heavy" force protection posture?  (For that matter so do we.)  Its reactions like this at home from a casualty adverse public that we have to keep in mind.

greentoblue said:
Soldiers' lives are being put at risk by failings with the Army's £2.4 billion radio system, senior generals have been warned.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/onthefrontline/2608941/Broken-2.4bn-radio-put-troops-lives-in-danger.html

Quote: "An infantry commander in Helmand described the system, the second most expensive piece of equipment in British military history after the RAF's Eurofighter, as "astonishingly bad"."

Clansman was awful, at best (except for the 320 - HF set). Bowman must be a real horror show. Glad I missed it!

MOD SETS OUT CROSS-GOVERNMENT STRATEGY TO IMPROVE SUPPORT FOR THE ARMED FORCES

http://www.veterans-uk.info/general_interest/crossgovstrat.htm

The Ministry of Defence has today published the Service Personnel Command Paper which outlines a package of measures to improve the lives of our Service Personnel, their families and our veterans.

This paper - “The Nation’s Commitment: Cross-Government Support to our Armed Forces, their Families and Veterans” - is the first time that such a cross-Government strategy has been issued and it sets the standard for the level and scope of support our Service personnel can expect.

Key changes include:
• The Ministry of Defence doubling Armed Forces Compensation Scheme payments for the most serious injuries from £285,000 to £570,000. All injured personnel will receive an increase of between 10 and 100%;
• The Department of Health improving access to NHS dentists for Service families;
• The Department for Innovation, Universities and Skills offering free A-Level equivalent or first Degree-level education for Service leavers with six years service;
• The Department for Transport offering free bus travel for seriously injured Service Personnel and veterans;
• The Department for Communities and Local Government helping Service leavers get on the property ladder by extending their Key Worker status for 12 months after leaving the Armed Forces; and
• The Department for Children, Schools and Families making it easier for Service families with frequent and short notice postings to get their children into local schools.
Secretary of State for Defence, Des Browne, said:
“ Our Armed Forces are truly inspiring – every day they risk their lives to keep us safe – and it is a fundamental duty of government to support them and their families. I think this Command Paper presents a package of measures that will make a real difference to the everyday lives of our forces and their families. It will improve their access to public services and for the most seriously injured it will ensure a significant increase in the amount of compensation that they get paid. I think it offers significant progress and we now have to make sure we deliver that change.

Chief of the Defence Staff, Sir Jock Stirrup, said:
“ Our Servicemen and women achieve great things on a daily basis in testing conditions all over the world. They, and their families, also face unique demands that make their achievements all the more remarkable. As a nation, we have a duty to make sure that our Armed Forces are treated fairly whether they are home or abroad, and that is why this Service Personnel Command Paper is so important. My fellow Chiefs and I welcome this paper. It will ensure our Armed Forces and their dependants are not disadvantaged by their Service life, and in some cases enjoy special treatment befitting of their daily sacrifice on behalf of us all.”

The Service Personnel Command Paper was commissioned by the Prime Minister in November 2007. Since then Armed Forces Minster Bob Ainsworth has led a team of tri-Service personnel and MoD civil servants to produce the new strategy and the measures. The Service Personnel Command Paper team consulted widely with current and former Service personnel, their families, Service charities, Service Families Federations; and worked with colleagues across Whitehall and in the Devolved Administrations.

Notes to Editors
1. For more information contact Paul Leat in the MoD Press Office on 020 7218 7931.
2. The Service Personnel Command Paper is published on the MoD website at www.mod.uk
3. Key measures in the Service Personnel Command Paper include:
MoD

• Improved payments under the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme
The upfront lump sum payment for injury under the AFCS will be doubled for the most serious injuries. All recipients, according to severity of injury, will have an uplift of between 10 and 100% in their upfront lump sum payments. MOD also intends to confer additional benefits to extend this effect to those who have already made claims under the Scheme. The Guaranteed Income Payment (GIP) will continue to apply in addition to the upfront lump sum compensation payment. The GIP will continue to provide the most seriously injured with a monthly, tax-free income once they leave the Service. For example, a 25-year-old seriously injured soldier may receive a £570,000 lump sum payment plus a GIP of £19,000 per year tax free for life. If he lives to average life expectancy, this is a further million pounds, tax free, on top of the lump sum payment. These changes will be implemented following a short consultation period.

Department for Health (DH)

• Improved access to NHS dentists for Service families
Service mobility and the frequent need to find an NHS dentist in the new location can make access to dentistry difficult for Service families. DH and other health departments will trial various new ways such as making use of facilities on military bases, or provide mobile services in those areas, or make use of spare capacity elsewhere. Trials will begin by December 2008 and complete by December 2009.
DH and other health departments will work with the NHS to ensure that health areas with large Service personnel populations plan with the military communities in their areas to ensure Service families get the dental care they need.
• NHS Waiting List – Retention of Place.
Service mobility can cause repeated loss of place on NHS waiting lists. DH and other health departments will ensure that when patients move across the UK, previous waiting time will be taken into account with the expectation, all things being equal, that treatment will be within national waiting time standards.

The Department for Innovation, University and Skills (DIUS)

• Free education and training for Service leavers
Those joining the Armed Forces often commit to this career path before they can take advantage of opportunities in further or higher education. All Service leavers with over 6 years’ service will have the opportunity to achieve their first Level 3 qualification (A-level or equivalent) free from tuition fees. Alternatively, for those who want to progress to higher levels, we will fund all tuition fees for a first foundation or full degree. This means that a sailor, soldier or airman can join the Armed Forces from school, secure in the knowledge that six or more years’ service will be rewarded with the opportunity of a college or university education without tuition fees. Scottish Ministers and the Welsh Assembly Government have agreed to put in place similar measures.

The Department for Transport (DfT)

• Concessionary Bus Travel.
The statutory bus concession in England will be extended by 1 April 2011 to include seriously injured Service personnel and veterans under the age of 60.
• Automatic entitlement for Blue Badges to severely injured veterans
The Blue Badge Scheme provides a range of parking concessions across the UK for people with severe mobility problems. We will now introduce a scheme so that severely disabled veterans in England will receive automatic entitlement to a Blue Badge without further assessment. Scottish Ministers will also implement this change. The Welsh Assembly Government is consulting on plans for a Reform Strategy for the Blue Badge Scheme in Wales, with this proposal considered as part of the review.

The Department for Communities and Local Government (DCLG)

• Extending Key Worker Status for Service leavers
Servicemen and women in England have Key Worker Status but many do not have the opportunity to purchase a home. DCLG is extending Key Worker Status to enable Service leavers to access Key Worker Living 12 months after discharge.
• High priority for injured troops in applying for adapted social housing
Seriously injured Service personnel can face delays in obtaining suitable adapted social housing where they are not given sufficient priority.
DCLG will give seriously injured personnel in England and Wales high priority for social housing. Statutory guidance will be issued to reinforce this message. Scottish Ministers will remind landlords of the existing high priority that seriously injured personnel in Scotland receive for adapted social housing.
• Housing to prevent homelessness
To help prevent homelessness, DCLG will contribute £400,000 to provide new supported housing for Service leavers in England to enable them to make a successful transition to civilian life. We will work with the Housing Corporation to deliver this initiative which will also be supported by MOD gifting land.

Department for Children, Schools and Families (DCSF)

• School Place Allocation
Access to schools is more difficult for Service children due to the frequency and short notice postings of their parents. DCSF is seeking Service families’ views on improving admissions, and the Schools Adjudicator is reviewing admissions for 2009 in order to identify any disadvantage for Service families so that it can be removed.
• Priority access and increased provision of State Boarding Schools
Boarding school education can reduce the impact of Service mobility on children’s education. DCSF will prioritise Service children’s access, second only to children in care, for state boarding school places. DCSF will also increase the number of places at state boarding schools by well over 100 over the next 3 years.
Additionally, through the academies programme, 3 new state boarding schools are planned.

Quotes from other Government Departments on the Service Personnel Command Paper
Department Children, Schools and Families

Jim Knight, Schools Minister, said:

“ Our aspiration is for this to be the best country in the world to grow up in. This applies to all children from every imaginable background. The armed services in this country are the best in world and they deserve the best for their families. I want to ensure that no child is disadvantaged because of postings or arriving at a school mid-term.
“ There are 210,000 children in this country who may move or have their education disrupted by one or more of their parents being posted. We need to keep this disruption to a minimum and ensure they receive everything they would have had they stayed put. We ask so much of our armed services and it’s only right that we give a fair service back. I am very pleased to be able to make the Department for Children, Schools and Families’ contribution to this wide ranging Service Personnel Command Paper.”

Department for Innovation, Universities and Skills

Bill Rammell, Minister of State for Lifelong Learning, Further and Higher Education, said:
“ Our soldiers, sailors and air staff face unique demands with courage and professionalism – they deserve our full respect and gratitude.
“ As part of the Government’s commitment to enhance the support given to our armed forces, my department will pay the tuition fees of those personnel leaving the forces who want to improve their education and skills.
“ Equipping ex-servicemen and women with the skills required by today’s employers is one of the best ways of ensuring their successful reintegration into civilian life following years of dedicated service to our country.”

Department of Health
Ben Bradshaw, Health Minister, said:
“ Our service men and women do an outstanding job and we all owe them a debt of gratitude and a duty of care.
“ That is why the Department of Health is working closely with Armed Forces personnel on a raft of measures that ensure service personnel and their families have the best possible care.”

Department for Transport

Rosie Winterton, Transport Minister, said:
" Ensuring injured Service personnel and Veterans receive a free England-wide bus pass and have an automatic entitlement to Blue Badges are key ways in which we can recognise the valuable contributions they make.
" It will help injured Service personnel and Veterans to access key services and keep in contact with friends and family - giving the freedom to live a more independent life. It is only right that we do everything we can to help personnel injured whilst serving their country and I am pleased to work with the Ministry of Defence to bring these important changes into effect."

Department for Communities and Local Government

Caroline Flint, Housing Minister, said:
" Our service men and women make huge sacrifices to serve and protect our country and it is important that we recognise the unique and considerable demands they face, particularly in relation to housing.
" We are committed to supporting our service people, both during and after they’ve left the military. These new measures will ensure that current and ex-service personnel have access to the accommodation that they and their families need and can have successful and rewarding civilian lives after they’ve left the Services."

Quotes from the Chiefs on the Service Personnel Command Paper

Admiral Sir Jonathon Band, First Sea Lord and Chief of the Naval Staff:
“ I welcome today’s announcement and the Government’s Service Personnel Command Paper. I see this as a hugely significant opportunity to deliver improved cross Government support to our people across the very wide Personnel area: from health care to housing; from education to concessionary travel. I am very encouraged by the potential opportunities this affords to advance the way in which our people are supported by the Nation they in turn support so very well. Royal Navy and Royal Marines personnel staff, together with families and veterans groups, across the Naval Service have been deeply involved in providing advice to this paper and I look forward to seeing the proposals take effect – our people deserve nothing but the best.”

General Sir Richard Dannatt, Chief of the General Staff:
“ Support to current operations is our top priority but, to sustain this effort, my principal concern as the Chief of the General Staff is for our soldiers who we must always put first, along with their families who do so much to support them and our veterans who we must never forget. I am encouraged by the welcome news on compensation for our injured soldiers and that, where appropriate, the uniqueness of life in the Armed Forces should be properly recognised. I therefore welcome this Command Paper as an important step in the right direction for cross-Government support for what we in the Army call the ‘Military Covenant’. However, I am mindful that for any organisation, 20% is about getting the strategy right but 80% is about delivery and so I am pleased that an independently minded External Reference Group will assure the progress of the Command Paper’s recommendations.”

Air Chief Marshal Sir Glenn Torpy, Chief of the Air Staff:
“ The commitments we have secured from across Government are not ‘special’ treatment simply because we are in the military, but are a fair return for the sacrifices that our people willingly make and the risks they take on behalf of the nation. I am delighted that other Government departments have recognised the specific needs of the Service community; their commitments go a long way to address existing inequalities. Equally importantly, the Paper also puts into place the mechanisms to ensure that any developing areas of disadvantage are tackled quickly and effectively.”

These are the guys (and gals) who really 'won the war' against the IRA - while we were getting shot and blown up.

Controversial IRA film will continue with TIFF premiere
Fifty Dead Men Walking's makers defend movie

Mark Medley, National Post  Published: Thursday, August 28, 2008

The behind-the-scenes drama surrounding the film Fifty Dead Men Walking, which is scheduled to have its world premiere at next month's Toronto International Film Festival, is quickly becoming as gripping as the memoir it's based on.

On Tuesday, the film's producers released a joint statement confirming the film would still be screening next month at TIFF. It stated that "although inspired by the contents" of Martin McGartland's 1997 memoir of the same name, the film adaptation "is not a representation of Mr. Mc-Gartland's life."

Furthermore, the statement claimed McGartland -- a onetime infiltrator of the Irish Republican Army whose book chronicles his experiences as a British agent, and who threatened legal action against the film's producers this week -- read the script, was given an advance screening and also turned down the chance to have the name of the main character changed.

http://www.nationalpost.com/arts/story.html?id=751911

Back