• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

assault rifles

• Thread starter Thread starter aries85
  • Start date Start date
A

aries85

I was just wondering how our c7 compares to other guns such as britains SA 80, americans m16‘s, and australias steyr aug, and other militarys assualt rifles. do alot of these guns look "COOL" but still pretty comarable?

Well, considering I have no reall experience with any of them, I can‘t really say. But the C7 and M16 are practically the same. Some minor differences (the C7 has a full-auto position, the M16 has a 2 or 3 round burst mode. The C7 uses an optical 3.2x sight versus the M16‘s standard sights.)

As for the rest, I‘ll let those who actually know what they‘re talking about to fill you in. :D

Edit:: The C7 has been said to be an M16, but better. I believe someone posted that the C7 was being used by the SAS?

If you search the site you should be able to find loads of topics including an article that I posted some time ago about the SAS using the C7.

Aries - First, there are many topics such as this which have been covered on this site, do a search. Second, do you have a point aside from how "cool" these rifles appear?

They are all 5.56x45mm NATO with similar ballistics. They‘ll put a hole in a person accurately @ 300m, as a section @ 600m.

Cool enough?

Originally posted by Enzo:
[qb] Aries - First, there are many topics such as this which have been covered on this site, do a search. Second, do you have a point aside from how "cool" these rifles appear?

They are all 5.56x45mm NATO with similar ballistics. They‘ll put a hole in a person accurately @ 300m, as a section @ 600m.

Cool enough? [/qb]
thats exactly my point i was just wondering if alot of the assualt rifles out there just looked alot cooler and futuristic and were actually just as comparable to one another thanx for answering my question

I think that if this thread is not going to offer any serious discussion on military rifles, I‘m going to put it out of its misery.

Originally posted by aries85:
[qb]
Originally posted by Enzo:
[qb]

[/qb]
[/qb]
I know this is going to show my ignorance, but what does 600m at a section mean? As well, I‘ve seen te C7 called 5.56 Cal. and 5.56 mm. WHich is correct, and whats the difference if any?

I know this is going to show my ignorance, but what does 600m at a section mean? As well, I‘ve seen te C7 called 5.56 Cal. and 5.56 mm. WHich is correct, and whats the difference if any?
You will learn all in good time, young grasshopper...

;)

ShortBus, you should go, nay, run down to your local library and get your hands on the bible, by this I mean "Jane‘s Infantry Weapons & Small Arms." You can pick the year. Then I suggest you absorb that book, it will be an excellent starting point and open your eyes to many wonderful things. Jane‘s and other like minded publications kids will provide you with many accurate details that the info boxes from Rainbow 6 and SOCOM just aren‘t able to provide.

Having said that, I‘ll answer your question. First, I was being sarcastic when I responded to Aries because I‘m getting tired of these asinine queries. You need to understand, killing is a serious thing, you cannot take that back. There is no "retry" with this. Professionalism is a mindset, something to be taken seriously and actions will speak the level of yours. Although the majority of the worlds "soldiers" are no more than children and teens these days, this is a grown ups game. Especially in the CF for if you ever go overseas, you will most likely find yourself in a situation where you‘ll have to exercise restraint on a daily basis and then deal with the crap that you saw. You may notice that "justice" or "rights" are notions which are not always respected. The individuals doing whatever nasty thing to each other (or you) may be using sticks, machetes, mines, mortars, or Enfields and Klashnikovs from generations past. I have no doubt that a young man who has grown up with a .303 Enfield (for those of you who do not know what this rifle is, look it up) wearing robes and running through the hills on sandals will be able to engage you with your LBV, kevlar, pack and C7 @ 600m and make you wish you had something with a bit more punch. Take your time on the range seriously, those kids do almost daily. (For fun, look up the Canadian Rangers and see the firearm of choice for the Inuit supported by elements of the CF Infantry, these are the reservists in the Canadian North) The Enfield is by our standards, obsolete, using an obsolete cartridge and it looks like something your Grandpa has in his collection, but in the right hands it‘s effective.

With that said, this information is available almost ANYWHERE.

The NATO standard cartridge is the 5.56mm x 45mm SS 109. (Those are the metric dimensions of the cartridge, the first number is the diameter of the bullet itself and the second is the length) The SS 109 is a steel-core 62 grain bullet and has been the traditional round for some time, although there are many other bullets in use such as the US M193, etc... No two bullets have the same performance, by this I mean, you can vary many factors such as the weight/shape of the bullet and the amount/type of propellant you use resulting in varying ballistics. Then you have conditional factors: temperature, wind, humidity, altitude, etc...

This bullet is also known as the .223 Remington. This is the imperial measure for the bullet, by this I mean the diameter of the bullet is .223 Calibre. Click on the link below, you NEED to read this!!

http://www.reloadbench.com/cartridges/223.html

The average individual effective range of the C-7 (M-16) is 300m, the effective range is 600m when firing as a SECTION, this means your section members firing together at a target.

Now, the C-7(M-16) in the right hands with the right ammo, etc... can be accurate at ranges exceeding 600m by individual.

http://userpages.aug.com/captbarb/rifle.html

You must also read this.

This should answer your questions and give you a place from whereupon you can have an informed basis of your growing knowledge. Be a professional at all times, the world has enough psychobabies.

Cheers.

Thanx Enzo, that was great help!

(I dont play SOCOM or Rainbow 6 :D )

Shortbus, as a quicker general rule:

"Calibre" refers to imperial measurement, such as .223 or .303 or .45 (the decimal inches).

"mm" is metric measurement, such as 5.56mm, 7.62mm, 9mm, etc.

The trend with military arms and ammunition is to use metric, as it is the international standard. In sport shooting, you will find arms and ammo in both forms, usually based on long traditions.

However, only use ammunition specific to each firearm, even with modern arms. For example, although a .357 Magnum revolver can fire a .38 Special cartridge, a .38 Special pistol cannot usually fire a .357 Magnum cartrdige. Always ask an expert.

Sure, if you‘re using a imperial device to measure the speed. In Europe, you could find devices which measure is mps, etc... It all depends upon the user.

As a general rule of thumb, do not assume anything. Apply this rule liberally.

What does it matter how "cool" is it. As long as it pucks a hole into the enemy so he cant put a hole in you, thats all that matters.

On an 'evaluation' exercise, I had the opportunity to fire a few interesting items.  My personal opinion is that the C7 'feels' more solid than its US counterpart.  No, I can't explain it further...just that it seems better made.  (Disclaimer: some of the weapons were provided to us straight from the manufacturer, perhaps even 'demo' models.  Would they provide superior products than what they would deliver as standard issue just to get a sale?  I ain't touching that one with a ten foot pole...)

A bud who did a UK exchange said the L85 is great on the range...period.  He confirmed the story about one of the early issue ones melting when it came in contact with insect repellant.  He also said that somebody broke their SUSAT sight, and it caused a minor lobster grub f*** in order to meet the safety procedures.  Hmm...seems like more trouble that it's worth, eh?

Here's an interesting site for you to check out:

http://www.world.guns.ru/

wow more old threads being revived......great.....

Back