• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Army.ca Status- The History of Outages & Dark Days

I don't find it that bad now. Mike, I think we need more subscribers  ;) I am sure what ever you come up with will work.

Well the good news is we haven't maxed out on memory! :)

I'll restart the web server, which is taking a lot of CPU time and see if that helps.

I think you were a bit too quick on that one... the load is showing pretty much the same as before I restarted things. :(

It's taking it's time loading pages.
Have you thought of file 13'ing old stuff?
Just a thought, seeing as I know nothing about servers.
:)

Mike

Out of curiousity, are you actually running a "server" or a higher-end desktop? 

MRM

:rofl:
MRM, you're baad!
From the way the site is performing tonight, I thought it was my son's old computer we were using.
What could possibly be the problem?

^-^

I have noticed that it's been slow for some time now. To the point I need to have another window open to keep myself busy while waiting.

Larry Strong said:
I have noticed that it's been slow for some time now. To the point I need to have another window open to keep myself busy while waiting.

Hmmm, and I have 3 seperate Army.ca windows open. 688 users X 2 windows each = 1376 strings running on the server. Perhaps...we are part of the problem!! LOL.

It's fast now...any particular thing?

BYT Driver said:
:rofl:
MRM, you're baad!
From the way the site is performing tonight, I thought it was my son's old computer we were using.
What could possibly be the problem?

^-^

In all honesty, I was quite serious.  There is quite a difference in the two, as I have had servers that were actually servers and ones that were "HE desktops"...I was really just curious.  Did that come off as a snide remark?  Whoops!

I know ppl that run their own "servers" that are using desktops instead of what I think of a server as...such as a HP ML370 G4 with 2.5 GB RAM, quad Xeon 2.5 Ghz CPUs, 5 SCSI drives running RAID 5 with, say, SDLT tape drive for BUs?  Read/write is totally different, just to start...its all about bottlenecks and benchmarks.

My bad if that came off the wrong way....sorry Mike!

Nah, you didn't come off snidey or snotty.
It was just a strange comment, but now I see where it comes from, it's okay.
Now, about your Martian speak? Makes me kind of glad I didn't make POET and later ATIS.  That last part was waaayyyy above my head.
;D

MRM, I knew what you meant, and the answer is: high end desktop. But I like to call it a server, I think it performs better when you talk nice. ;)

BYT Driver said:
Nah, you didn't come off snidey or snotty.
It was just a strange comment, but now I see where it comes from, it's okay.
Now, about your Martian speak? Makes me kind of glad I didn't make POET and later ATIS.  That last part was waaayyyy above my head.
;D

Okay.  Hmm.  Desktop= 4 cylinders.  A good server is 8 cylinders.   ;D

Lots more power!

Now lets talk "physical" vs "logical" topologies, Swtiched vs Shared Media (Ethernet) access and the benefits/drawbacks of such things as clustering, load balancing and fault tolerance....wait!  Was that your eyes rolling back into your head out of boredom?

Mike Bobbitt said:
MRM, I knew what you meant, and the answer is: high end desktop. But I like to call it a server, I think it performs better when you talk nice. ;)

Roger that.  Now I am gonna wonder about what we can do to get a "server" in there... ;D

Speed seems to be working fine now but there is only roughly 480 user on to so that might help the speed to . 
          Geez I just clued in  that in about a week and a couple of Days when I am off to Basic I want  have Daily access to army.ca  man I am going ot be going through withdrawls    ;D

MRM, we're in a switched environment, but that doesn't really matter... our 1 Gig switched connection narrows down to dual load balanced DSL before we hit the Internet, so I could be on a shared wireless link and it wouldn't slow us down. ;)

I'm starting to put together an upgrade plan so we can move to true server hardware. Given what I'm seeing on our current system I'm confident our problems will be gone if we move to the right hardware. Right now we're CPU/memory bound at times, so that's where I'm going to focus on the new server. More to come...

Back