• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Army.ca Status- The History of Outages & Dark Days

As a point of interest-Could this be related to your three new DS staff.

Maybe they overloaded the server with all their knowledge and wisdom, that they brought to the site. ;D

Good news: I have just ordered a new 400Gb hard drive to replace the existing drive. This will help prevent such an issue from recurring in future.

Thanks to all our subscribers who made the purchase possible.

Cheers
Mike

GUNS said:
As a point of interest-Could this be related to your three new DS staff.

Maybe they overloaded the server with all their knowledge and wisdom, that they brought to the site. ;D

Naw, them simultaneously reading some of the threads relating to our more famous banned members caused the server to crap its pants.

I came back online this weekend to find the site down...  :-\ left me with a little Vodka, an a Nintendo Wii ... just doesn't fill the gap.. hahahaha

Good to see it back!

Hi All,
Mike, glad to see the site is back up, I was going thru withdrawals and my 9er was ready to boot me out the door to go relax.
I believe I made this suggestion some time ago: why don't you delete all the old locked up threads and threads that have been idle for over a year.  And delete profiles of members/guests who have left the site or have been idle for over two years.
I believe this will save you loads of server space and keep some funds in the coffers for other possible better things.
My $0.02

BYT Driver said:
Hi All,
Mike, glad to see the site is back up, I was going thru withdrawals and my 9er was ready to boot me out the door to go relax.
I believe I made this suggestion some time ago: why don't you delete all the old locked up threads and threads that have been idle for over a year.  And delete profiles of members/guests who have left the site or have been idle for over two years.
I believe this will save you loads of server space and keep some funds in the coffers for other possible better things.
My $0.02
Old threads still may contain relevant information.

People might get busy and just be inactive for a while, but may come back to the board.

It's not a bad idea... In fact we already cull users who have not logged in during the past year, but we currently don't do anything about the posts. I have to admit, I'm afraid to delete posts because although some may not add much value years later, there's still a goldmine of information here.

The approach I've taken is to "scale up" the system a bit more to handle the growing data.

Well I think Mike should create "Great Big Shiny Army.ca Tomes" CD, Volumes 1-98 with the archival material and flog them for those who want to give hours of reading fun for xmas/birthdays/parting gifts and anniversaries...  (hey it beats an order from Logitik)

Thanks Mike.

Here I am thinking Jack Bauer and CTU had intercepted and taken control of army.ca, what a releif  :o

Mike, please don't let it happen again :'( I even had to go to Troops.ca  ^-^ Good to see that were back online  ;D

Michael Baker said:
Mike, please don't let it happen again :'( I even had to go to Troops.ca  ^-^ Good to see that were back online  ;D

My God, it's just like Army.ca...truely a lot of addicts out there.
:cdn:

Pea said:
Well since I wasn't able to surf my beloved army.ca this past weekend, I had to look to another hobby I REALLY try to avoid.

I now present a bill to army.ca, for such hobby:

1X Digitial Camera $250.00
2X New Novels      $  55.00
2X DVD's              $  45.00
                          ________
                          $350.00   <---- Weekend without army.ca  :o  :'(

I'll take cash... or, perhaps lifelong army.ca subscriber status.  ;D

All joking aside Mike, we love this site and can only guess how much work you have to put into it. Thanks for all your hard work!

But please don't let me shop again...  :blotto:

what??!! no little blue bags??? What's that about?? ;D

IN HOC SIGNO said:
what??!! no little blue bags??? What's that about?? ;D

Pfft. I wouldn't spend MY money on anything like that. Doesn't mean I don't want it, I just need to be able to pay rent is all.  :o Besides, it just ain't the same if it isn't given to you.  ;D

I was so distressed I had to get counselling.
But I think Mich and Vern will be happy to know that I did listen to my wife more as a result of not having my attention focused here. I'm pretty sure I know what she wants for her Birthday now and it doesn't involve a day pass to the Stad Gym (a mere $5) or an evening out at the North End Beverage Room....hey wait a minute that outage is starting to cost me money too!
Can I submit a claim just like Pea did?? ;D

I was uncertain whether something had gone wrong with my system or whether the site had gone down again.  I guesed it was the site but figured Mike would have it fixed by Monday and voila!  Well done Mike and Team Army.ca!

Have a question though - is there a secondary site where, if Army.ca is not working we can go to it and it would have a statement like 'System down, try again on Monday' (or whatever)?  Or is something like this already in place?

Back