• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Advice for women on BMQ and other courses [MERGED]

• Thread starter Thread starter the patriot
  • Start date Start date
After reading the replies thus far and after many hours of research I have come to the conclusion that Infantry is probably NOT one of my best choices. Regardless of whether I like it or not, my size does give me a handicap and the last thing I want to do is FINALLY get in and then set myself up for failure. It doesn't take a genioos to figure out that if my gear weighs more than half my body weight, there are going to be reprocussions from it. As for knowing if I think I could kill another human on command....I don't think too many people can answer that quesiton regardless of gender until it happens.
I can assure you I am not one of those females who will use my gender to wimp out of situations. I have ran my own boxing club for almost 15 years now and I can guarantee that I have knocked some pretty big fellas around (just the cocky ones). LOL! I also hold a 2nd degree black belt in Shotokan karate so this "should" aid me some in being mentally tough. If I had a penny for every push up I had to do I'd be a friggin millionaire.Competitive sports since the age of 5 have also kept my sharp and that includes everything from hockey, soccer, karate, judo, boxing to the girly side of figure skating.
I really appreciate all the input from everyone and have decided that Armoured is probably a better choice over Infantry for me, the second choice is Combat Engineer ( I have some construction background), and lastly weapons tech.
Any thoughts on these trades would be of benefit before I send in my application.

Thank Again
Bojangles

Parouse the various boards here and pick up what you can.  There are lots of discussions that cover a wide range of topics that describe some of what to expect in those trades. 

GW

Hi Bojangles, I'm currently a female in the Artillery (reg force) and being 5 foot f*&kall and 120 pounds myself at joining, it was not easy as 155mm rounds weigh 98 pounds but hey i grunted my way through it, no doubt you can do it but it won't be easy, as for joining the artillery i would think twice, it's a dying trade, most people here have left or have an OT in (including myself) it's very hard to get ahead here, there are much better trades out there, please look around some more, I'm actually thinking of OTing to electrical distribution technician  :-\ please feel free to ask me anything about the arty trade.

JANE

I'm not going to bother to comment on any female issues not being female myself, but on the subject of moistuizer, I'll have you know I'm never in the field without a travel size bottle... I don't know if anyone else has the same problem, but I find CLP wreaks my hands, particularly my finger tips...they end up cracked and very painful, makes it hard to work... cold weather does the same thing, but to a far lesser extent... I find if I wash my hands as soon and as throughly as the situation allows after cleaning weapons, and smear a bit of moisturizer on them when I get a chance, I'm pretty good...

SigOp,

Youve just solved the mystery! My hands virtually decomposed a while back, and I couldnt figure out why as naturally I dont dry out that badly, especially not the hands.The fingertips were the worst, and now that youve mentioned it, right before that happened to me, we were cleaning weapons a day or so before they fell apart! So yeah! thats probobly a good idea to bring moisturizer if your hands dry out easy =p

Not a female either, but I would recommend bringing only what is on the kit list provided.  You have very limited space for personal items, although most of your pers stuff will be stored in a storage area until such time are you are given free time, allowed to leave the mega etc.  Depends on what course your on aswell (BMQ/IAP).  Bring few pairs of pants, 5-6 shirts, should be plenty.  Keep your make up with your pers kit, moisturizer can stay with you like any other toiletry, hair is exactly what was mentioned before, and try to limit the number of shoes you bring. ;D

When I did basic training about 12 females showed up out of 30 with long hair.  All but one lasted about a week before they cut it all off.  You just don't have time to put it up properly unless you get up early and you will covet your sleep time when you get it.  The last one held out until the end and she put up her hair in about 30 seconds which I couldn't believe.  If you must have long hair, practice before you go putting it up in the proper manner until you can do it at the speed of light.  Then go out in a wind storm and make sure it stays that way.  My advice, cut it off.

Good luck.

I'm female going infantry, and so far I'm finding everything good. I'm 130 and 5'3, but I haven't had many problems. Just keep thinking positive, and remind yourself of why you're doing what you're doing.

Definitly get some of the miniature shampoos and lotions..Moisturizer is a must. Gallons of hairspray and gel, and don't forget a few packs of hairnets (Get the really good ones, or else they tear and your hair falls out. You can also fold them in half to make them stronger). A small alarm clock, or cell phone, notepad, nail clippers...I wouldn't suggest bringing much makeup, because you're technically not "allowed" to wear it, but with some powder or foundation you shouldn't be able to tell the difference!

jmackenzie_15 said:
SigOp,

Youve just solved the mystery! My hands virtually decomposed a while back, and I couldnt figure out why as naturally I dont dry out that badly, especially not the hands.The fingertips were the worst, and now that youve mentioned it, right before that happened to me, we were cleaning weapons a day or so before they fell apart! So yeah! thats probobly a good idea to bring moisturizer if your hands dry out easy =p

Somone mentioned to me that CLP apparently forms some sort of acid when it comes in contact with your skin... rumor or not, the stuff can disolve some pretty hefty deposits of carbon... can't be healthy for your hands... washing is more effective/important then the moisturizer... the sooner you can get the CLP off your hands, the sooner it stops acting... even if you cover your hands with moisturizer, if there's still CLP on them, it's not going to do much good...

Just a comment on the hair thing, if you can french braid, you'll be okay.  It is now regulation to wear your hair in either one french braid (either normal or reverse), or pigtail french braids, which are near impossible to keep equal unless you're a trained hairstylist.  But yeah, buns, braids they're all fine.  One thing to check is I know in the reserves we're allowed to wear our hair in a low braided ponytail (ponytail-braided hair-ponytail).  There is no reason why you should have to cut off you hair...lol unless you can't get it up in a perfect bun with gel, hairnet and bobbypins in about a minute or less (practise makes perfect lol).  Anyway, hope that helps too!  It never hurts to ask for the standards of hair from your instructors when you get there either!

Only in the army could you ever find 3 grown men standing behind one woman, scratching their heads, holding a brief confrence to figure out how to braid hair.

Bojangles, I just have to say, don't second guess the infantry as of yet. You can do absolutely anything if you have the motivation and the will in general. Sure it gets tough at some points, but you will face that in most MOCs. Especially combat engineer as you previously stated. I personally do not have any experience in the combat engineer field, but it is still physically tough. You still have to carry around a lot of heavy stuff, as explained to me by one of my friends in the 2FER. Being 17/5'4/140 lbs (GASP posted my weight  ;)) I have to say it was not easy going through the training, but it IS possible. You just have to stay optimistic and like I said, you need to  have the MOTIVATION to do it. Personally I am very happy being in the infantry and have absolutely no regrets...anyways we need more women in the infantry, as i observed in the almost non-existant amount in my unit. Lastly, just make sure to be as fit as possible before training, and good luck on your choice.

[edit: for spelling]

ARMYboi69 said:
Women can do anything men can, they might just have to work harder for it.  Example: A female may have more trouble lifting a ruck then a male, so they would have to train for it before doing it.

Best of luck with whatever you decide.

Remember what you have been warned about before....

Hey while we're all whining about ourselves, I was 245lbs when I joined... how do you think THAT felt while running the hill?  >:D Different body types are better designed for specific activities. LOL. What can I say, becoming a soldier is all about a transformation, you probably simply haven't had the opportunity in life to be put in the types of situations that will teach you about yourself like the Army can provide. There are no guarantees, you won't know until you go, put your butt on the line and give it your best. Have a good one.

In an earlier post someone mentioned the Infantry being a dying trade......Plenty of OT's and not as many keen to join it....I'd say that it's because it is physically and mentally challenging. When I have asked 18 year olds what they do for fun, 'the movies' and xbox are top of the list. Phys Ed is not mandatory past grade 8 out here, so I'd say that doughnut eating occupations suit many of the weak minded and weak bodies out there.

Each and every trade on the modern battlefield is equally as important. No one job is more or less important than the other.

Those who say that infantry is a dying trade, then they should look into the history of warfare as well as what is currently happening on battlefields today.........you cannot take and hold ground with anything BUT infantry.   :threat:

HollywoodHitman said:
In an earlier post someone mentioned the Infantry being a dying trade......Plenty of OT's and not as many keen to join it....I'd say that it's because it is physically and mentally challenging. When I have asked 18 year olds what they do for fun, 'the movies' and xbox are top of the list. Phys Ed is not mandatory past grade 8 out here, so I'd say that doughnut eating occupations suit many of the weak minded and weak bodies out there.

Each and every trade on the modern battlefield is equally as important. No one job is more or less important than the other.

Those who say that infantry is a dying trade, then they should look into the history of warfare as well as what is currently happening on battlefields today.........you cannot take and hold ground with anything BUT infantry.  :threat:

I believe it was stated by GIJANE that artillery was the dying trade not infantry.

Re: where are the women in the CF?
« Reply #27 on: Yesterday at 21:23:47 » 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PS, I was 128lbs when i joined the army

I thought I was a twig at 155lbs

I still am a twig at 148lbs, 5'9 =p
Im headed for southbound trooper 5 in virginia in february... nedless to say, ive been actively exercising and pursuing some healthy weight gain  :P

"ecoming a soldier is all about a transformation, you probably simply haven't had the opportunity in life to be put in the types of situations that will teach you about yourself like the Army can provide. There are no guarantees, you won't know until you go, put your butt on the line and give it your best"

thats exactly right.

I stand corrected! My apologies.......Too much time with head in book today I am afraid. However the same argument could apply to Artillery as well.........All are needed on the modern battlefield. Without effective artillery, the Infantry could not do it's job to it's full capability.

Back