• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Advice for women on BMQ and other courses [MERGED]

• Thread starter Thread starter the patriot
  • Start date Start date
In this ever changing world nice to seem some things never change, like the old Westies and Seaforth rivalry.

What do you expect when you put two infantry regiments in the same basic geographical location and make them compete for recruiting, training, ammo etc.?

As for location, I‘m WAY closer to the Westies, and am moving soon even further from the Seaforth armoury, but I‘m still not changing units. Heck, we have people commuting from Abbotsford, Victoria, Whistler and Mission just to come play with us.

hey its good to see you made the leap into the military. my old unit had a few females in it and had no problems doing their job. as a matter of fact some jobs they were better then the guys at. no disrerspect intended. (i think they were better thinkers) its good to see you joining. i wish more females would see the bigger picture and join its a fun lifestyle with lots of rewards. good luck and keep on smiling. cheers

thank you CTD :)
I wish I knew more girls who were joining too.
I hurd it was a fact that girls were better thinkers, also get in less car crashes too.

Lets get a few things straight.

1) You have the choice of joining the Royal Westminster Regiment.
A Company in New West.
B Company in Aldergrove
C Company in Vancouver, which for some reason insists on calling itself "Seaforth Highlanders" and dresses up real funny....

2) Greymatter, your gonna gave to drop the piercing fetish if you wanna play around in the Army.

3) Spacelord is too proud, thats why he got support weapons dumped on him all year....

Originally posted by Aquilus Lupin:
[qb] Highland regiments are the way to go :D [/qb]
But the Canadian Scottish are a Scottish Regiment, not a Highland one. The Seaforths are a true Highland Regiment.

Originally posted by Eowyn:
[qb]
Originally posted by Aquilus Lupin:
[qb] Highland regiments are the way to go :D [/qb]
But the Canadian Scottish are a Scottish Regiment, not a Highland one. The Seaforths are a true Highland Regiment. [/qb]
The Canadian Scottish have always been a big backwards in that they wear kilts rather than trews.

The Canadian Scottish do share with the Calgary Highlanders one distinction that no one else in the Canadian Forces has - the right to wear distinctive shoulder titles on the DEU in the shape of an Oak Leaf.

Though again, the C Scots went a little overboard and wear an entire soup plate on their shoulders(!)

Originally posted by Infanteer:

2) Greymatter, your gonna gave to drop the piercing fetish if you wanna play around in the Army.
[/QB]
I know :(

is it just facial piercings and ears, can I keep my body piercings? whats the rule on streched ears?

Already posted in another thread. Basically, you‘re allowed to have anything you want so long as you don‘t wear it on duty.

Infanteer: Don‘t make me air all the Westie dirty laundry I have. I don‘t want to HAVE to beat you up over this (again), but I will... besides, we have, what, 13 more battle honours than you?

As for piercings, you must remove all facial piercings and you are not supposed to have any body piercings. If you are found with some, or they interfere with your work, you will be charged. Ear stretching is certainly frowned upon, and could probably be chalked up to a "self inflicted wound", so you‘d be best off to NOT go for that one.

Looks like a measuring contest between the Westies and Seaforth is about to start up, haha.

I believe "lowland" scots never really had the whole tartan/kilt thing going on, originally a highland thing...thus the referance ;)

Trews are starting to phase in with the Officers oddly enough...

Hi...Just wondering if you can bring things that aren't of the list?  As for clothing, how much of your regular clothing can you bring?  Footwear?  What about moisturizers, make up etc...Also, whats the real deal with the hair?  Do I have to cut it or can I get by with long hair as long as its put up properly?  Any information would be appeciated.

Well I've never been to St-Jean but I think summer reserve basic would probably be similar in this case. We didn't wear all that much of our regular clothing, only to sleep in (when I wasn't sleeping in my PT clothes for the next day) or for PT (I'm told reg force gets issued PT gear, so scratch that too.) We were only allowed to wear civvy clothes about midway through basic, and that was only weekends and some evenings. SO you can probably figure out what you need from that, I brought about 3 pairs of pants, a few shirts and sweaters, and some PT clothes. A good pair of running shoes is a MUST, flip-flops ditto (unless you want to pick up something nasty from the shower) but other then that, maybe 1 other pair of civvy shoes if you really need them.

I've also been told that in St-Jean, you spend most of the first week in civvies while checking in and doing admin, but maybe someone who's been there can clarify.

As for make up HAHA who has time for that no one cares how you look during course but if you must, keep it simple cause you won't have much time to use it. It's just going to take up space. A little's good for those times when you actually will have time to wear it, but don't fill half your civvy suitcase with make-up.

WRT hair, you are allowed to keep it long as long as it's in a nice bun, with a hairnet over the bun if you need it, and if your hair is frizzy like mine you'll need gobs of gel on the side of your head to keep it neat. You're also allowed a braid, but when depends on your staff, on my basic we were only allowed braids in the field. You can also cut your hair short (which is SO much easier) but it can't go past your collar, and should be kept pretty neat as well.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask, and good luck!  :)

Thanks so much for the helpful information.  Its nice to hear the female perspective on things.  I was thinking of make up and civy clothing for when I have spare time to myself.  I have dry skin...lol...so I cant imagine going anywhere without my moisturizer.  Soldier or not, I'm still female to the core right!!  Its going to be hard not to want to bring every bit of clothing I own, yah know, just incase!  Sounds like I need the bare necessities and thats it.  In true female fashion, I'm a big packer.  Are you aloud personal items or does everything have to be accounted for?  How much storage room are you permitted?

Nightengale

Again, not sure how it is in St-Jean- are you going reserve or reg force, btw?

On my basic, everything that wouldn't fit in our 'civy drawer' (a dresser drawer, but it also had to hold everything that wasn't in our locker laid out for inspection- including extra socks, PT gear, boot polishing kit, etc etc- man those things broke all the time). Not sure how they do it on other basics, but on mine the instructors made us drag everything we brought out, told us to take out this that that and that and everything else went locked away, into a spare room known as 'civvy lockup' which we didn't get access to for-well, a while. (not to self: storing food there is a bad idea.) You could keep some personal items, but I sure missed that Discman.

Don't worry about what you need to bring, chances are, you'll find out you won't need it. After many weeks of dressing identically to several dozen guys you won't spend too much time thinking about all the clothes you left behind.  :)

Moi-stur-i-zer? I know of no such thing.  ;) Seriously though, if you have time to look in a mirror during basic to even acknowledge how you look, good for you.  :) All I remember is my hands being constantly dirty from either boot polish or carbon from the rifle cleaning...this strange sort of dirt that just didn't want to wash out.  :)

Back