• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

25 Skills Every Man Should Know - Popular Mechanics article

exgunnertdo said:
2.  Cook a proper meal for the family (including cleaning up) - note that ordering pizza, BBQ-ing, or making pancakes don't count!

Pancakes do so count, especially if made from scratch!

GreyMatter said:
Pancakes do so count, especially if made from scratch!

Me thinks he doth protest too loudly!!

So, you can make a mean pancake can you?? I love pancakes ... especially from scratch!

ArmyVern said:
Me thinks he doth protest too loudly!!

So, you can make a mean pancake can you?? I love pancakes ... especially from scratch!
I need to get my eyes boresighted.  At first, I thought you said "I love pancakes ... especially from scotch!"

:cheers:

ArmyVern said:
Me thinks he doth protest too loudly!!  So, you can make a mean pancake can you?? I love pancakes ... especially from scratch!  

I have high votes from gourmet experts - five nephews and nieces...

I try to avoid making mean ones... they bite back...

Pointed out earlier, some of these skills on one side could be practical to list in another... does that require a longer list?  Or combining the lists for a single non-gender-biased list?  (Ack!  50 skills?)

Mortarman Rockpainter said:
I need to get my eyes boresighted.  At first, I thought you said "I love pancakes ... especially from scotch!"

Hmmm....  Scottish pancakes?

Mortarman Rockpainter said:

:cheers:

Apparently you don't make a mean pancake.

There is such a beast as Scotch Pancakes (aka drop scones)

Ingredients: 8 oz plain flour, salt, level teaspoon of cream of tartar, level teaspoon of baking soda, 5 teaspoons sugar, 1 large egg and a quarter pint of milk.

Heat a griddle or frying pan and lightly grease. Sift flour, salt, cream of tartar and baking soda together. Mix in sugar. Create a well in the centre and add the egg and some of the milk. Slowly mix the flour into the egg and milk, adding more milk as you go, until you have a mixture which has the consistency of thick batter.

Drop a small amount of batter onto the greased girdle or pan - bubbles should rise to the top in a few seconds, if it is the right temperature. Drop in enough mixture to make individual small pancakes. When the underside is brown (and bubbles bursting on the top) turn over and cook the other side. Regrease the pan after each batch.

Serve warm with butter and honey or jam/jelly. Or try buttering them and sprinkling with light brown sugar!

Try that one next time you make it back to Gagetown ... your girls will love you for it!! Then, let us know how you made out!!  :)

The stuff I miss when I have to run off to PT at the end of the day!! 
I'll have pancakes and scotch......er, Scotch pancakes!  ::)

GAP said:
See, if you do that often enough, and ruin enough frillies......it get's you out of laundry duty........smart man!!

I solved this particular laundry problem, I do mine and he does his.  ;)

exgunnertdo said:
Ok, if things like using a lawn mower or drill, troubleshooting a laptop, etc are on the women's list (and I agree they should be!)- here's a couple for the men's list:

1.  Do laundry (including folding, matching socks, and putting away!)
2.  Cook a proper meal for the family (including cleaning up) - note that ordering pizza, BBQ-ing, or making pancakes don't count!
3.  Put ponytails in a 4-year-old's hair.
4.  Help same 4-year-old put on leotards/tights.

I can't think of any others right now, but there's probably more...

I'm a house husband - 1 and 2 are normal daily occurrences for me.  As for 3 and 4 - I had sons, not daughters.  Wait a few years, I might have a grand daughter, then I'm sure I'll be able to check those boxes.

From what I gather here...........

Laundry is like jury duty, If you can do it
you're not that smart. ;D

Drop a small amount of batter onto the greased girdle or pan

HUH?

But seriously, how come the guys can get away with saying stuff like:
See, if you do that often enough, and ruin enough frillies......it get's you out of laundry duty........smart man!!

We girls say stuff like that about the "manly" chores and we come off as ditsy and weak...I sure can't get away with it. 

exgunnertdo said:
HUH?

But seriously, how come the guys can get away with saying stuff like:
We girls say stuff like that about the "manly" chores and we come off as ditsy and weak...I sure can't get away with it. 

LOL.

Lovely freudian slip there by me eh??

Girdle = griddle for all intents and purposes in this context. Else, one may find themselves getting the griddle upside the head from the hottie-bummed chick wearing the girdle while she cooks!!  ;D

In chaps AND a girdle???

Im afraid to envision it.  Some things were not meant to be known...

What in the name of God is a girdle? And why would someone wear it with chaps??

???

Mike Baker said:
What in the name of God is a girdle? And why would someone wear it with chaps??

???

Boy, you ARE young!! One wouldn't wear it with chaps (one would hope!!).

images

211RadOp said:
It would make for an interesting conversation to say the least.

Well OK, I don't need one, but now I'm going to go invest in a girdle ... just to see how they look with chaps. That's something I haven't attempted in chaps ... (although I'm quite sure that someone -- somewhere -- must have tried it before)

I'll let you all know how I make out.

Back