• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Why Europe Keeps Failing........ merged with "EU Seizes Cypriot Bank Accounts"

bridges said:
Interesting.  Thanks for this.

It could be said that we, too, propagate a code of values in our constitution, Charter of Rights & Freedoms, etc.  Does the statement of values from Singapore come from the current government only, or from the country's laws & constitution?  I wonder if it was derived at least in part from public input.  Do you see it as having a greater influence on their society than our constitution & Charter do on ours?

This came in 20 or maybe 25 years ago, I think. I recall hearing rather a lot about it in the early to mid 1990s. It was a government initiative but I don't think it is a constitutional provision; at least a quick look at the Constitution of Singapore doesn't reveal it.

Again a few years decades ago it was hotly debated ~ not that it, a 'statement of values,' should or not not be promulgated but, rather, what should or should not be in it. My (somewhat vague) recollection is that the compromise gave the Confucians most, but not nearly all of what they wanted, but threw a couple of bones to the liberal Indians and Westerners.

ERC, and bridges:

I take your point and I can agree with desire and the intent. We should care for our neighbour, both on compassionate grounds and on the same grounds proposed by Machiavelli. After a fashion our society has made us all both supplicants and Princes. And as aspiring Kings we can agree with Mel Brooks that it is good to be King (not to mention doing our best to protect our phoney baloney jobs). Consequently it is in our own enlightened self-interest to keep the masses content.  I think ERC and I can both agree on that.  I think bridges might be a bit young to be sufficiently cynical and still trusts to the goodness of human nature.

However.

While I agree with the sentiment, and generally I consider myself an optimist with respect to human nature, I am less sanguine about short term prospects and fear a more sanguine society.  The world is full of societies that were doing quite nicely thank you and are now fly blown hell-holes. 

When you look at a graph of any process that is "in control" it is important to keep the timescale in mind.  With a large enough scale any process can be seen as a straight line, as you well know.  But in the short term the controllers are hunting and seeking all over the place and give proximate observers matching flutters.

You bring up the Depression.  I missed the Depression but my parents didn't.  They and their parents lived it.  Their experiences shaped my life.  They are all dead and buried now.  My children never knew them.  The Depression is as distant to them as WWI, the Crimea and the War of 1812.  It doesn't resonate at all.  They now get to relearn the lessons of the Depression all over again.

Three score and ten is the typical allotment of time.  I believe that it is also the time it takes for a society to renew itself and eliminate its connections to the past and the society passes from peak to valley.  Institutions can moderate some of that effect, carrying over tribal or corporate memories, but those are never as potent as personal experience. Recovery to peaks are possible but they are often merely fading echoes.  After a couple of centuries,  210 years or three 70 year cycles, the echoes become inaudible and society has got no sense of how the achieved their past glories, nor how they achieved their current predicament.

I see no reason why Greece and Spain can't end up like Afghanistan.  Yugoslavia almost did.  And Europe and America have run out of money and energy to mount the effort necessary to stabilize similar situations.  How long before the Greeks decide that they are really Turks (All those on the eastern Aegean shores have been in the past) and the Castillians lose their grip on the Catalans and the Basque (or can't hold off the Moroccans anymore)?

The good news is that our situation is analogous to a never ending roller coaster.  There are ups and downs and plenty of thrills but nothing catastrophic happens.  The bad news is, as far as I am concerned: I don't like roller coasters.

We continue to survive but there is little to suggest we will always enjoy, or even understand, the trip.

bridges said:
Then things like roads, food inspectors, defence, immigration controls, etc. etc., all supported by whom - charity?  I always thought our taxes were, at least in principle, meant to pay for things that we, as a society, have agreed should happen, and we're basically employing the government to make it so on our behalf.  That would be for the benefit of all of us, not for the benefit of the government.  I know that's the ideal, and there's also much waste and self-serving policy implementation, but I'm not sure that means we should throw out the state as an actor in our society. 

That's not what I said. It is Keynesian stimulus that is being misapplied to entitlements rather than confined to public works. There is, of course, a role for the state - the question is how big and how broad? My guess is that you and I disagree: I say "not much" and narrowly confined to a (relatively) few areas. I'm guessing you want a big, activist state.

bridges said:
Interesting.  Thanks for this.

It could be said that we, too, propagate a code of values in our constitution, Charter of Rights & Freedoms, etc.  Does the statement of values from Singapore come from the current government only, or from the country's laws & constitution?  I wonder if it was derived at least in part from public input.  Do you see it as having a greater influence on their society than our constitution & Charter do on ours?

Kirkhill,

Ah, that "lie back and think of England" thing again!  Even as a metaphor, I'm not sure we need to screw people for society to prosper.  ;)

Then things like roads, food inspectors, defence, immigration controls, etc. etc., all supported by whom - charity?  I always thought our taxes were, at least in principle, meant to pay for things that we, as a society, have agreed should happen, and we're basically employing the government to make it so on our behalf.  That would be for the benefit of all of us, not for the benefit of the government.  I know that's the ideal, and there's also much waste and self-serving policy implementation, but I'm not sure that means we should throw out the state as an actor in our society. 

And as for private charity, there is much already - I know this from looking at my own tax returns.  Unfortunately it's often not enough - just ask anyone working at the food bank, SPCA, cancer society, what-have-you.  If the only people who support these requirements financially are the ones with the means & motivation to do so privately, a lot of things in our society that we consider important wouldn't get done. 

On the other hand - maybe we should do this:
http://www.basicincome.com/

bridges: I am not saying we SHOULD throw out the state as an actor.  I am merely suggesting that if those that act for the state don't learn to give the nation its head from time to time then the state will become impotent due to circumstances and will no longer be an actor.  At that point people will fall back on to those things that have always worked:

Hard work
Graft
Charity (with charity beginning at home).

I don't want the state to disappear.  I want the state to hang around for another couple of decades at least.  That enlightened self-interest thing.

A final analogy.

I am poor at many things. One of the many things I am poor at is riding horses.  However I have managed to dismount more often on my own terms than on the horse's terms.  That came from experience.  Early on I had a reluctant horse finally break into the gallop I had been urging on it.  It bolted.  I fought to bring it back into control.  It rebelled and ejected me.

Later on I repeated the exercise.  This time I gave the horse its head and let it go wherever it wanted to go.  I just clung on for dear life and kept my head down below the level of its shoulders as is dodged under trees.  Eventually it got tired and I brought it back to the rest of the group I was with.  I dismounted on my terms.

The third time I learned to better gage the mettle of the animal and not urge on it a course of action that it didn't want to pursue.  Something to the effect of never giving an order you don't expect to be obeyed.

And yes,  I really do believe that life is that simple. 

Kirkhill said:
The Nation-States of Europe are a 19th Century Fiction imposed on the general populace by centralizing governments. The truer face of Europe is the loose confederation of City-States occasionally known as the Holy Roman Empire (or the Pragmatic Constantinian General Assembly).

France didn't become France until the cession of Nice to France in the 1860s.  Germany didn't become Germany until 1989.  Italy didn't become Italy until 1872.  Britain didn't become Britain until 1707 (modified up until 1921 - apparently still a work in progress).  Spain became Spain in 1492 but the Catalans, Basques and Castilians, amongst others, had very different understanding of their terms of association.  Norway and Denmark split the sheets in 1905 and the Faeroe Islanders are still looking for a better deal from Denmark.

There is a biological theory (I hope I am remembering this correctly) that suggests that the reason Africa is such a harbourage of pestilence and so difficult to cure is that as a result of it being a point of origin for so many gene pools it is extraordinarily difficult to contain diseases before they jump to a neighbouring pool, adapt to those newer genes and morph into something different.

My sense is that Europe, with its myriad isolated but interconnected valleys, each identified by a genetic, linguistic and cultural preponderance, but never able to achieve a perfect quarantine from its neighbours, is to politics what Africa is to disease.

Ideas jump from locale to locale and morph into something different.  Liberal is a case in point. Good or Bad. Fascist or Free. Wealthy or Greedy.

A very current aspect to this debate is the Merger/Takeover of EADS and BAE.

EADS = France + Germany.  It is European as long as Europe is French.  It is a Government held commercial enterprise.

BAE = UK.  It is a privately held firm that had a virtual monopoly on UK defense spending but is branching out to support other governments, to include the US.

For a European Army you need a modern equivalent of the Arsenal of Venice, if you see the world in French terms.

For a British Army you need Hiram Maxim and Armstrong.

The two visions are irreconcilable.

France and Germany could come together with the Arsenal of Venice version of EADs, primarily because Germany's "War Guilt" wouldn't let her do anything else other than accede to French demands.

Germany and Britain could come together over a "privatized" BAE model of EADs for a host of financial, cultural and historical reasons.

But the deal won't happen as a Three-Way because France and Britain can not come together.

France insists that it wants a "privatized" entity but when Britain insists that no government can hold more than 10% of the shares in the enterprise France demands a higher initial allocation with the proviso that it can buy up all "unwanted" shares at its leisure.

This would effectively mean that by fiat France could declare itself the sole producer or weapons for Europe.  A non-starter from the stand-point of the other nations both on economic and nationalist grounds.  And a very unwise policy if innovation is desired.

However, Colbert would have approved, as would Louis XIV and Napoleon.

In the words of that fine Frankish phrase: "Ordnung Muss Sein".

The Good Grey Globe's European business correspondent, Eric Reguly, agrees with friend Kirkhill in this column which is reproduced under the Fair Dealing provisions of the Copyright Act from the Globe and Mail:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/international-business/european-business/money-politics-and-fear-what-the-bae-eads-fiasco-says-about-europe/article4609492/
Money, politics and fear: What the BAE-EADS fiasco says about Europe

ERIC REGULY
ROME — The Globe and Mail

Published Friday, Oct. 12 2012

They do business differently in Europe.

Take the proposed €35-billion ($44-billion) merger of Britain’s BAE and the Franco-German EADS (owner of Airbus), a deal that would have created the world’s biggest defence and aerospace player.

There was some industrial logic to the merger – the launch of a formidable rival to America’s Boeing – even if the idea seemed a bit rushed.

But the merger was doomed the moment it was conceived and it was euthanized on Wednesday.

What went wrong?

Blame the political agenda in Paris, Berlin and London. The rights and independence of the executives and the shareholders were quickly buried under an avalanche of fears that the head office would be in the wrong country; there would be too much state control, or too little; jobs would disappear in one country and pop up in another; and industrial decision-making left entirely in the hands of management and owners risked damaging national agendas and the preservation of national corporate champions.

And so on. The whole affair descended into what’s-in-it-for-me political bedlam.

Now you know why it’s taking so long to fix the euro crisis. Based on the BAE-EADS fiasco, the euro zone will be extinct by Christmas.

Political interference is inevitable in any important industry in any country – note that Stephen Harper’s government killed BHP Billiton’s takeover of Potash Corp. of Saskatchewan two years ago and the Chinese were given the bum’s rush when they tried to buy Californian oil company Unocal (now part of Chevron) in 2005. But the degree of political interference in Europe is off the charts by North American standards and has reached the point where it is doing more harm than good. While governments see state influence or outright control as an agent of industrialization, the opposite is more likely the case as short-term political goals displace long-term strategy.

The BAE-EADS merger attempt shows that state capitalism is alive and well in Europe, especially in France and Germany, whose governments were lobbying for a collective 27 per cent stake in the enlarged group while Britain was lobbying for those same stakes to be eliminated. It has always been thus and for many decades, it more or less worked. After the Second World War, governments from Britain to Italy used state-controlled companies and national projects – from building the world’s best highways and nuclear reactors to wet-nursing the auto makers and aerospace companies – to revive the destroyed continent.

Along the way, there were spasms of state sell-offs, notably in Britain under the privatization-mad Maggie Thatcher, and there is no doubt the role of the state has declined throughout Europe since the 1990s. But it has far from disappeared. France remains the biggest advocate of using equity stakes, proxies and yes men to influence entire industries. It still has a minority stake in Air France-KLM, one of the world’s biggest airlines, controls the nuclear industry (in good part through Areva) and has a 15-per- cent stake in EADS and wanted no less than 13.5 per cent in the enlarged company if the merger had gone ahead. It is the biggest shareholder in GDF-Suez, the electricity utility and power generator with more than 230,000 employees.

State influence in big industries seems to have done France no favours in recent years. The ailing auto industry is one sorry example. French auto maker Renault was controlled by the government until 1996, when it was privatized. But the government could not resist hanging on to a 15-per-cent stake, presumably to protect France’s national interests in a high-value-added industry. Renault has lost almost 70 per cent of its value in the last five years. So much for protecting the taxpayer.

Renault’s rival, Peugeot Citroën, has no government ownership. Still, Paris delights in telling it what to do. French President François Hollande and his ministers were enraged when Peugeot announced it would shutter its Aulnay factory near Paris at a cost of 6,000 jobs. Mr. Hollande described the closing as “unacceptable” (though it is now going ahead). Peugeot has lost 90 per cent of its value in five years.

Car production in France, meanwhile, is in free fall. In 2005, it peaked at 3.5 million; last year, it was 2.3 million.

Air France is in trouble too. It lost €895-million in the three months to June, partly because it has lagged its rivals in cutting labour costs. The state influence over the company no doubt has something to do with this. Meanwhile, the airline has come under pressure from the French parliament to order planes from EADS-owned Airbus instead of rival Boeing. Air France has lost 80 per cent of its value in five years.

While a huge variety of factors have conspired to push down the values of these French companies, state control or meddling has not worked in their best interests. BAE and EADS might well survive, even thrive, on their own. Or they may not. Turning Boeing into a diversified military and civil aviation company worked wonders for the U.S. giant. Politics denied BAE and EADS the right to try the same thing. Short-term strategies usually work against long-term interests, as any good investor knows.

"State capitalism" is a myth. The state is involved in capitalism, it builds goods (e.g. roads and schools) and services (e.g. tariff and tax collecting) which, in their turn, are broadly productive, but the idea that "state owned enterprises" are in some way "capitalist" is wrong-headed. Some state owned enterprises are successful - this is, in all cases, more a matter of good luck and circumstances than good management. As a general rule each and every state owned enterprise, of any and all kinds, is inefficient. That even applies to things which ought to be, for the very best public policy reasons, state monopolies (the armed forces, for example). Put generally: any private enterprise can do anything - saving lives in hospitals or taking lives on a battlefield - better than any government agency. And that applies without regard to race, creed or culture ~ a private hospital in Kuala Lumpur Malaysia is more efficient than a public hospital in Kingston, Ontario. the reason is simple: management. Any private enterprise is immune to the political consideration which must drive even, for example, military decisions. Thus public decision making is, always and everywhere, hobbled by factors which guarantee inefficiency, ineptitude and corruption. That is not to say that some private enterprise are not inefficient, inept and corrupt but the market is able, very quickly and cleanly, to remove them from the equation - so long as governments do not intrude to "champion" inefficient, inept and corrupt favourites, e.g. BAE, Boeing, EADS or Locheed Martin, none of which could compete in a free market without massive government supports.

But, "state capitalism," real or not, is very, very popular in most illiberal societies, of which France is a prime example. State capitalism is also popular is some conservative societies - consider Hong Kong's and Singapore's very large ($200± Billion (US)) sovereign wealth funds, and even in some liberal ones - one Canadian province (Alberta) and several US states, including Alaska and Texas, have sovereign wealth funds.

Just an interesting note to the idea that government provides food inspectors; despite a reported 47 "food inspectors" on the job (according to a CBC radio report I was listening to in the car a few days ago); the Excel meat packing plant was able to ship tens of thousands of units of meat potentially contaminated by E-Coli across North America.

If that level of government inspection is that effective, then perhaps we should be seriously rethinking and redefining what we want and expect as "government services".

BTW, the grab bag mentioned upthread is the usual conflation of thigs governments "should" do (Police, Military, Courts of Law) and things that the private sector has done since time immemorial (roads, bridges, hospitals, education). There are arguments to having governments do some of these things as well (military roads and hospitals, for example), but also counter arguments and examples of why governments should NOT do these things (bridges to nowhere, dismal public school results compared to private school results etc.)

Thucydides said:
Just an interesting note to the idea that government provides food inspectors; despite a reported 47 "food inspectors" on the job (according to a CBC radio report I was listening to in the car a few days ago); the Excel meat packing plant was able to ship tens of thousands of units of meat potentially contaminated by E-Coli across North America.

If that level of government inspection is that effective, then perhaps we should be seriously rethinking and redefining what we want and expect as "government services".

BTW, the grab bag mentioned upthread is the usual conflation of thigs governments "should" do (Police, Military, Courts of Law) and things that the private sector has done since time immemorial (roads, bridges, hospitals, education). There are arguments to having governments do some of these things as well (military roads and hospitals, for example), but also counter arguments and examples of why governments should NOT do these things (bridges to nowhere, dismal public school results compared to private school results etc.)

Several years ago, in my 'second career,' I was involved in the standards business. Our industry was very much in favour in soft monitoring of standards: the industry, we suggested to government, was quite able to monitor itself - if government would just be kind enough to promulgate standards with which we agreed. Government did promulgate fully acceptable (to the industry) standards but we were chronically unable, from the get go, to police ourselves. It was, simply, too expensive. To every single company standards was a 'cost,' and, most often a 'cost' that could be cut. In no time at all our industry members were failing even the loose audits required by government. My guess is that the same thing happened in XL Foods: there are standards, XL has internal inspectors but there are too few inspectors and they do too little and there is nothing but an audit by government which only "sees" problems after they occur. There are some things that cost a lot but which produce good, public value for money - food and water inspections are amongst them; maybe we need to accept that the corporation, any enterprise that accounts for its inputs, cannot be expected to police itself and, when public health and safety are an issue, the community should be prepared to pay for a public service, through either direct taxes or fees which flow through to the consumer in the form of higher prices. The former is more efficient, the latter is more 'fair' (vegetarians don't have to pay for meat inspections, etc).

B students are good employees.  They are hard working and easy to come by as they make up such a large proportion of the population.  In any organization they are going to predominate in middle management and supervisory roles. 

Let's assume that these people make up 50% of the decision makers in the organization.
Let's further assume that the rest of the organization is going to actively implement their decisions as they intended their decisions to be implemented.
In other words everybody outside of management acts in perfect good faith, with absolute understanding of the plan and implements the plan exactly as intended.

But B students are wrong on just about everything 60 to 80% of the time Edit: Make that 20 to 40% of the time and chalk this one up to the work of just another B student working on his first coffee of the day :facepalm:.

Why is it reasonable to expect that any organization or agency is going to be more than 70% efficient?

I've seen many companies making good money with 70% efficiencies.  Equally I have seen good companies destroyed in rabid quests for the elusive 95%.  The quest for the 95% level usually occurs when the company's market share plummets due to external circumstances and the profits evaporate.  The next step is to drag in the MBAs to cut costs and improve efficiencies.

The usual result is that after numerous MBAs have been appointed to management, and others hired on 3 month, 6 month and 2 year contracts,  and all parties concerned have shiny new offices, with really neat toys, gadgets and gizmos.....(sorry,  bitterness is a hard habit to break  ;D)....back on topic.... the usual result is that  the B students leave, are terminated or are sold off and the dregs of what used to be a thriving company goes broke.

The conclusion I have drawn is that if your business plan can't sustain operations at the 70% efficiency level then you are doomed from the get go.  That means that you learn to live with 30% screw ups and under utilized capacity.  It is better to have a happy organization humming along at 70% than it is an unhappy one struggling to keep up a 95% level. 

In the real world I implement this in my advice to customers.  If you have time on your hands and you only intend to operate 1 shift a week (40 hours out of 168 = 25% efficiency) or even 2 shifts a week (50% efficiency) then by all means just buy a single process line.

But if you aspire to 24x7 operations then you need to buy three lines with the capacity that will allow each one to chug along steadily at 66% of their design capacity.  Then when one line goes down the other two pick up the slack for a short period by operating at 100% efficiency.

3 x 66% = 2 x 100%.

Japanese companies generally don't take my advice.

They buy 10 units at 10% of capacity and suffer the capital cost penalty to install them all.  (A 10 kW motor doesn't cost 10% as much as a 100 kW motor but both cost the same  to install).

But if they lose 1 unit off line they can continue operating with 90% capacity.

Their operations have a higher efficiency but their capital is less efficient.

Redundancy.  It is a good thing.

Worst Business Plan Ever?

Aspire to monopoly with a single production line operating at 95% efficiency.

The problem with XL foods wasn't so much that their internal audits and inspection was inefficient, but rather that a huge overlayer of government food inspectors did nothing to stop this. Remember the 47 inspectors were reported to have been working the plant while this happened (but now 50 inspectors have arrived to audit the plant before it reopens). Assuming no overlap, we are paying for an additional 97 people to keep our food safe, 47 or whom are demonstrably deficient in doing their jobs. Of course, this isn't news, really. Remember the Walkerton water scandal? It was perpetrated by two government employees who simply failed to do any water quality testing and sent forged results in to the Ministry. Of course, the Ministry never did any audits or inspections of these two (or anyone else, for that matter) during the long period they were working there...

More on how the Swiss are preparing:

http://reason.com/blog/2012/10/15/switzerland-may-have-to-deploy-troops-in

Switzerland May Have to Deploy Troops in Response to Euro Crisis
Ed Krayewski|Oct. 15, 2012 2:02 pm

Coming on the heels of the European Union  being awarded the Nobel Peace Prize is the news that Switzerland is preparing its military to respond to possible escalations of violence related to the Euro crisis. "I can’t exclude that in the coming years we may need the army," Switzerland’s defense minister, Ueli Maurer was quoted as saying.  NBC News also reported Maurer questioned how long “money alone” could quell the crisis. The Swiss Defense Ministry is not ruling out deploying troops:

“It's not excluded that the consequences of the financial crisis in Switzerland can lead to protests and violence,” a spokesperson told CNBC.com. “The army must be ready when the police in such cases requests for subsidiary help.”

It doesn’t appear that the Swiss are taking this as a too-far-removed possibility:

It launched the military exercise “Stabilo Due” in September to respond to the current instability in Europe and to test the speed at which its army can be dispatched. The country is not a member of the union or among the 17 countries that share the euro.

Swiss newspaper Der Sonntag reported recently that the exercise centered around a risk map created in 2010, where army staff detailed the threat of internal unrest between warring factions as well as the possibility of refugees from Greece, Spain, Italy, France, and Portugal.
Switzerland, which did not join the United Nations until 2002, by a referendum that only narrowly passed, has not been in a state of war since the Treaty of Paris in 1815, a treaty predating even some of the modern nation-states now in crisis in the European Union, which the Swiss also have no plans to join. In his foreign policy address last week, Mitt Romney ruled out the possibility of war in Europe thanks to the Marshall plan. Reason’s Matthew Feeney pointed out Romney’s right, even if only because few countries in Europe are even capable of waging a war. Whether they’re capable of resolving their crisis except through “money alone” remains an open question, as Switzerland’s maneuvers highlight.

Thucydides said:
More on how the Swiss are preparing:

http://reason.com/blog/2012/10/15/switzerland-may-have-to-deploy-troops-in

So like Denmark... who did not adopt the Euro and are largely unaffected by this crisis... Why does Switzerland then have a "Financial Crisis" or is it just bad wording?

Anyways, pretty interesting that they had to run the Army through exercises in case of civil unrest. Apart from when the Swiss Army got in trouble for accidentally wandering into Lichtenstein... this is probably the only serious event they may have to face since... WW2 maybe?

More, reproduced under the Fair Dealing provisions of the Copyright Act from the Globe and Mail, on the pressing need for more, deeper, integration of parts of Europe:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/international-business/european-business/germanys-schaeuble-urges-big-leap-forward-in-euro-integration/article4615004/
Germany’s Schaeuble urges big leap forward in euro integration

GERNOT HELLER
ABU DHABI — Reuters

Published Tuesday, Oct. 16 2012

German Finance Minister Wolfgang Schaeuble has called for a great leap forward in European integration ahead of a summit of EU leaders, urging the creation of a new commissioner with power over budgets and reform of European Parliament decision-making.

Mr. Schaeuble, a longtime advocate of closer EU integration who is not shy about voicing his personal views, said he had spoken with Chancellor Angela Merkel about his proposals and that she was “somewhat more cautious”.

“We must now make bigger steps in the direction of a fiscal union,” Mr. Schaeuble told reporters on his way back from a trip to Asia. “We must use this chance.”

He said a new “currency commissioner” should have the power to reject national budgets that were not in line with the euro zone’s strict fiscal criteria, without specifying whether such a figure should have the power to impose penalties.

The model for the position would be the bloc’s competition commissioner, who Mr. Schaeuble said was “feared in the whole world”.

He also called for more flexible voting arrangements in the European Parliament to accommodate closer integration between euro zone states.

European officials are looking for ways to boost the democratic legitimacy of their drive towards a closer union, but have run up against the dilemma that the European Parliament includes countries from outside the euro zone.

“In the European Parliament lawmakers only from countries directly affected by a given issue should vote on it,” Mr. Schaeuble said.

Such a reform would accelerate the trend towards a two-speed Europe, with the euro zone as an inner core.

Some of Mr. Schaeuble’s ideas are likely to stir unease even within the euro zone, where countries such as France are reluctant to surrender more sovereignty to EU institutions.

Weaker economies such as Greece, reeling from German-backed austerity programs, will also be wary of entrenching the power of outsiders to run their financial affairs.

A previous proposal from Mr. Schaeuble for a “Sparkommissar”, or savings commissioner, was quietly dropped after it stirred fury in recession-mired Greece and got a cool reception from Germany’s other European partners.

Undaunted, Mr. Schaeuble said it was important to build momentum for greater fiscal and political integration, saying the bloc could launch a convention by December if it made good progress.

Ms. Merkel has previously said she would like the EU’s December summit to agree a concrete date for the start of a convention.

The idea recalls the 100-plus strong gathering of EU lawmakers set up in 2001 – inspired by the Philadelphia Convention that led to the adoption of the U.S. federal constitution – charged with preparing a European charter.

The document that emerged was rejected by French and Dutch voters in 2005 and a watered down version ended up forming the basis of the EU’s Lisbon Treaty, which is in force today.

Many member states, recalling the lengthy disputes and setbacks that preceded the Lisbon treaty’s entry into force, are reluctant to embark on another process of institutional reform.

But Germany believes a much closer fiscal and political union is needed to ensure the success of painful economic reforms and the long-term survival of the euro currency.

“We need a lasting solution,” Mr. Schaeuble said.

Herr Schaeuble's "lasting solution" will:

1. Drive Britain farther out to the periphery of the EU;

2. Promote unions within the Union and unions that might even extend beyond the Union to include e.g. Norway and Switzerland; and

3. Terrify France, Italy and Spain.

BUT: I think he's on the right track - see my layer cake model - and that nationalism, which I recognize is a mighty, powerful force, will have to give way to economics.

Nationalism still matters. It may drive some folks crazy economics will sometimes take a back seat or at least be moderated by nationalist concerns. It may seem vulgar or stupid, but it speaks to the concept of underlying consensus.

I do not think that Europeans have enough underlying consenus on politics to integrate or unify. Germany and France would like to play regional hegemon by working in concert from a leadership position, but the outlying regions will not want to play along if it means austerity. This will mean some tough choices, for sure, but do not discount the power of nationalism.

You really can't make this stuff up. If this is implemented, Swiss soldiers will be facing hordes of illiterate French trying to cross the border. The mindset behind this is profiled in the "Deconstructing Progressive Thought" thread:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390443675404578058301483391978.html?mod=WSJ_Opinion_LEFTTopBucket

France to Ban Homework. Really.
In the name of social justice and equality, François Hollande wants all learning done in school.

François Hollande has a bold new plan to tackle social injustice and inequality in France: ban homework. Introducing his proposals for education reform last week at the Sorbonne, the French president declared that work "must be done in the [school] facility rather than in the home if we want to support the children and re-establish equality."

Banning out-of-school assignments would put France on the cutting edge of pedagogical fashion, though it wouldn't be entirely unprecedented. An elementary school in Maryland recently replaced homework with a standing order for 30 minutes a day of after-school reading. A German high school is also test-running a new homework ban, after an earlier reform lengthened the school day and crowded out time for extra-curriculars such as sports or music.

These small-scale experiments aim to give students more freedom to excel on their own initiative. Mr. Hollande wants just the opposite. As Education Minister Vincent Peillon told Le Monde, the state needs to "support all students in their personal work, rather than abandon them to their private resources, including financial, as is too often the case today." The problem, in other words, isn't with homework per se. It's that some homes are more conducive to homework than others.

Here we begin to wonder: Are the French losing their mind? Fortunately not. More than two-thirds of the country would oppose the ban, according to an Ifop poll, so there's hope that even in the land of égalité there's some recognition that state power cannot equalize everything. It's also reassuring to know that a majority of French adults believe there's something to be said for instructing children in the need for personal initiative and responsibility, regardless of excuses or circumstances.

Mr. Hollande, however, remains out of step. At the Sorbonne, he stressed that school is where "the child becomes the citizen of the future." Perhaps his ideas about homework say something about the kind of citizens of the future he wishes to see.

Switzerland May Have to Deploy Troops in Response to Euro Crisis
Ed Krayewski|Oct. 15, 2012 2:02 pm

Coming on the heels of the European Union  being awarded the Nobel Peace Prize is the news that Switzerland is preparing its military to respond to possible escalations of violence related to the Euro crisis. "I can’t exclude that in the coming years we may need the army," Switzerland’s defense minister, Ueli Maurer was quoted as saying.  NBC News also reported Maurer questioned how long “money alone” could quell the crisis. The Swiss Defense Ministry is not ruling out deploying troops:

“It's not excluded that the consequences of the financial crisis in Switzerland can lead to protests and violence,” a spokesperson told CNBC.com. “The army must be ready when the police in such cases requests for subsidiary help.”

It doesn’t appear that the Swiss are taking this as a too-far-removed possibility:

It launched the military exercise “Stabilo Due” in September to respond to the current instability in Europe and to test the speed at which its army can be dispatched. The country is not a member of the union or among the 17 countries that share the euro.

Swiss newspaper Der Sonntag reported recently that the exercise centered around a risk map created in 2010, where army staff detailed the threat of internal unrest between warring factions as well as the possibility of refugees from Greece, Spain, Italy, France, and Portugal.
Switzerland, which did not join the United Nations until 2002, by a referendum that only narrowly passed, has not been in a state of war since the Treaty of Paris in 1815, a treaty predating even some of the modern nation-states now in crisis in the European Union, which the Swiss also have no plans to join. In his foreign policy address last week, Mitt Romney ruled out the possibility of war in Europe thanks to the Marshall plan. Reason’s Matthew Feeney pointed out Romney’s right, even if only because few countries in Europe are even capable of waging a war. Whether they’re capable of resolving their crisis except through “money alone” remains an open question, as Switzerland’s maneuvers highlight.

When does a riot you can't suppress become a war?  How much organization and money do you need for sticks, bricks and axes?

Romney is probably right that the Europeans won't be dropping bombs on each other, they can't afford the gas for their F16s, but you don't need F16s to fight a war.  The worst wars are fought with sticks and bricks.

And just when you thought it couldn't get worse we have this bit of comedy farce from Brussels, reproduced under the Fair Dealing provisions of the Copyright Act from The American Interest/Via Meadia:

http://blogs.the-american-interest.com/wrm/2012/10/18/europe-steps-back-in-the-clown-car/
Europe Steps Back in the Clown Car

October 18, 2012

Walter Russell Mead

With EU ministers preparing for a major summit on Thursday, all eyes are on the latest plan to save the euro: unified supervision of Eurozone banking. There’s only one problem: the plan is probably illegal. As the FT reports, a top secret body of legal experts has advised EU finance ministers that current European treaties do not allow the creation of such a body:

The legal service concludes that without altering EU treaties it would be impossible to give a bank supervision board within the ECB
          any formal decision-making powers as suggested in the blueprint drawn up by the European Commission.

Those non-eurozone countries that want to opt into the bank supervision regime would also be legally unable to vote on any ECB decisions –
          a key demand of countries such as Sweden and Poland.

This is particularly problematic where Germany is concerned. Berlin was already skeptical of the plan, and reports like this give the Germans a convenient out, if they choose to use it:

In addition to spelling out the legal limitations facing eurozone “outs”, the adviser’s opinion will add to German concerns over the independence of
          the ECB monetary arm, as it casts doubt over establishing a separate decision-making process for supervision.

Berlin’s demand for more voting clout on supervision matters is also undermined.

This report has thrown yet another wrench into what has been a painfully slow process, and European bureaucrats are already scrambling to cobble together crazy-quilt, Rube-Goldberg-type workarounds. Unfortunately for Europe, it’s not clear than these will work, and they are further complicating what is already an extraordinarily complex task. In the meantime, negotiations will likely drag on for months or more, especially as the Germans aren’t thrilled with the whole idea.

It looks like Europeans will have to wait a little bit longer for their rescue. At least they’re used to waiting by now.

:rofl:

Maybe Schaeuble und Merkel are playing a cannier game than we give them credit.

Britain is praying that Europe goes away but the Europeans don't end up blaming Britain (Faint Hope! Britain will be blamed).

If the Jerries wanted Europe to disappear while not having the luxury of sitting on the sidelines like Britain then a sure cure would be to be the Super-European.  If the French and Brussels want to go Fast, Deep and Hard then the Jerries will go Faster, Deeper, Harder.  And when the Pips start to Squeak?
Ignore them and continue driving on, following the French plan (Brussels is merely a Walloon colony in the heart of a properly Germanic country) and wait until something gives.

Wear your Mack and Boots and bring an umbrella.....  :)

Thucydides said:
The problem with XL foods wasn't so much that their internal audits and inspection was inefficient, but rather that a huge overlayer of government food inspectors did nothing to stop this. Remember the 47 inspectors were reported to have been working the plant while this happened (but now 50 inspectors have arrived to audit the plant before it reopens). Assuming no overlap, we are paying for an additional 97 people to keep our food safe, 47 or whom are demonstrably deficient in doing their jobs. Of course, this isn't news, really. Remember the Walkerton water scandal? It was perpetrated by two government employees who simply failed to do any water quality testing and sent forged results in to the Ministry. Of course, the Ministry never did any audits or inspections of these two (or anyone else, for that matter) during the long period they were working there...

that's assuming the Inspectors had the training, the authority and the support of their department to do anything. As a regulator you very quickly learn that you better have the support of your bosses before you carry out any enforcement action, no matter how warrented it is. Otherwise you will find your legs cut out from under you and any authority you had with the company is underminded.

Colin P said:
that's assuming the Inspectors had the training, the authority and the support of their department to do anything. As a regulator you very quickly learn that you better have the support of your bosses before you carry out any enforcement action, no matter how warrented it is. Otherwise you will find your legs cut out from under you and any authority you had with the company is underminded.

And shortly thereafter you quit your job in Whitby and move to the wide open spaces of Calgary........

Here, reproduced in a report which is shared under the Fair Dealing provisions of the Copyright Act from Quartz, is why Europe keeps failing:

http://qz.com/20725/leaked-lagarde-list-of-alleged-tax-dodgers-including-greek-politicians-key-business-leaders-and-some-housewives/
“Lagarde List” of alleged Greek tax dodgers emerges. First prosecution: journalist who published it

By Stephanie Gruner Buckley

The plot thickens.

On Saturday, a Greek journalist leaked a list, he says, are the roughly 2,000 names of Greeks with substantial holdings in a Swiss bank account—the infamous Lagarde List. The list had gone suspiciously missing for two years after first being handed over to Greece’s then finance minister, Giorgos Papaconstantinou, by the IMF’s Christine Lagarde, then finance minister of France.

The missing list, which re-emerged earlier this month, is being investigated by Greek officials. They’re also trying to get to the bottom of why the people listed, possible tax dodgers with holdings worth more than a billion euros, were never investigated. It’s a strange fact considering how badly Greece needs the money.

On Oct. 27, an enterprising journalist, Kostas Vaxevanis, published the list in his weekly magazine Hot Doc. His list contains politicians including Giorgos Voulgarakis, the speaker of the Parliament and a member of Prime Minister Antonis Samaras center-right party. He denies having any overseas bank accounts.

Also on the list are Finance Ministry employees, businesspeople, doctors, lawyers, actors and some women identified as housewives, all of whom allegedly moved big sums of money into an HSBC account in Switzerland.

It remains unconfirmed whether the names leaked in the magazine are the same as the names on the original Lagarde list, but the leak has already led to one prosecution: Authorities duly issued an arrest warrant for Vaxevanis for violating the privacy of those listed. Vaxevanis wrote on Twitter that he has been arrested:

Μπαίνουν στο σπίτι με εισαγγελέα τωρα. Με συλλαμβάνουν. Διαδωστε—
Kostas.Vaxevanis (@KostasVaxevanis) October 28, 2012

Google Translate say that the Greek text is: "They enter the house with prosecutors now. By arresting. Spread-" which I take to mean "They, the police and prosecutors, are in my house now. I am being arrested. Spread the word!"

Do we have a "let's shoot the messenger" symbol?

Back