• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What's the dumbest thing you heard said today?

I don't think it's one bit funny.

I shudder at thinking of what one of my old Pl WOs would have done if he had caught someone trying that shit.

Maybe we were taught better because the NCOs had more time on their hands what with there being no yakking about buttons and bows and all things tradition...or is being a dick like that a tradition to some?

::)  Uh-oh... is this developing into an army vs. navy thing? 

Canadian Tire money ... way to spread Canadian cheer and good conduct around the world. :facepalm:  Well, it's a fitting, if disappointing, entry for the "dumbest thing heard" thread.  Fortunately, not everyone did that.

So, how 'bout those Jays?  Bautista is on the DL list... they really need some help in the pitching dept now. 

Edit:  missed a letter.

No. It's a me versus complete and total fucking idiocy and condonation of said idiocy thing.

We do not need to be known, in any port, as this type of serviceman.

This crap was going on back in the sixties. I recall hearing of an incident following a port visit to Yugoslavia and that the Canadian embassy had to make good the losses.

And it's hard enough just to use Canadian money. I tried cashing a blue Canadian $5 bill in San Diego....and they accused me of using monopoly money.....that was awhile ago, but I can see the difficulties created by using the CT $.

Different-coloured money still looks funny to most Americans.

I exchanged one of the new polymer $100s in Havana last month; the clerk examined it for a few seconds & showed it to her friend in the back, but then took it without problems. 

Old Sweat said:
This crap was going on back in the sixties. I recall hearing of an incident following a port visit to Yugoslavia and that the Canadian embassy had to make good the losses.

Well, at least the embassy was able to send the Canadian Tire money back home, where External Affairs was able to use it at face value at their nearest Canadian Tire store :) .

Journeyman said:
Good thing you weren't going for one of the expensive girls.  >:D

They come that cheap?................who knew!! 

Oh, wait.......JM knew...... ;D

Scott said:
No. It's a me versus complete and total ******* idiocy and condonation of said idiocy thing.

We do not need to be known, in any port, as this type of serviceman.

First off, I, and I don't think anyone else here has said that we either did it ourselves or condoned the practice.  Secondly, in many cases these bills ended up posted behind the bar as examples of money from other places (if it's posted behind the bar, does it really matter that it's worthless - and CT money isn't actually worthless, just limited in its use).  Thirdly no bank is being broken here, a 25 cent CT note is still only 25 cents - no one's getting a night at the Four Seasons for this.  Fourthly, because of the "free-market" atmosphere that goes on in places like this and the fact that Canadians can't bargain worth crap, no one is actually losing money when you consider the considerable profit that the retailers are making overall.  I watched "special price for you Canadian sailor" jump at least 300% in three days in one port  - and we still paid it, thinking we were getting a great deal.

Is it a good thing?  No.

Should folks continue to do it?  No.

Has no soldier or airman ever acted like a jackass in a foreign country?  Hmm...

Lighten up.

Pusser said:
First off, I, and I don't think anyone else here has said that we either did it ourselves or condoned the practice.  Secondly, in many cases these bills ended up posted behind the bar as examples of money from other places (if it's posted behind the bar, does it really matter that it's worthless - and CT money isn't actually worthless, just limited in its use).  Thirdly no bank is being broken here, a 25 cent CT note is still only 25 cents - no one's getting a night at the Four Seasons for this.  Fourthly, because of the "free-market" atmosphere that goes on in places like this and the fact that Canadians can't bargain worth crap, no one is actually losing money when you consider the considerable profit that the retailers are making overall.  I watched "special price for you Canadian sailor" jump at least 300% in three days in one port  - and we still paid it, thinking we were getting a great deal.

Is it a good thing?  No.

Should folks continue to do it?  No.

Has no soldier or airman ever acted like a jackass in a foreign country?  Hmm...

Lighten up.

Trying to justify saying something outrageous.

FAIL.

:backpedalling:

I'm not trying to justify anything (I did point out that I don't condone the practice).  However, I do think we need to keep things in perspective.  Spending a few CT bills in a foreign country is hardly the crime of the century.

bridges said:
Different-coloured money still looks funny to most Americans.

I exchanged one of the new polymer $100s in Havana last month; the clerk examined it for a few seconds & showed it to her friend in the back, but then took it without problems.

Probably just impressed to see what is 3-4 months wages for her in hard currency.

BTW Gap  and JM there was a time years ago in Habana where $5.00 bought 5 packs of Marlboros and they in turn could be used for.......

or so I've heard :-[

recceguy said:
Trying to justify saying something outrageous.

FAIL.
If I recall, it was about a month ago that he got bitch-slapped for a presumptuous post [some self-righteous staff fuctionary drivel ??]; at least that time he was quiet for a while, instead of this whiny back-peddling.  ::)

Danjanou said:
Probably just impressed to see what is 3-4 months wages for her in hard currency.

BTW Gap  and JM there was a time years ago in Habana where $5.00 bought 5 packs of Marlboros and they in turn could be used for.......

or so I've heard :-[

We bought cartons of menthol cig. in the PX in Da Nang when we could get down river....they cost 1.44 a carton. A carton of 200 menthol cig would get 100 prerolled cigarillo size prime joints. Boom Boom was 2 bucks American.  ;D

Danjanou said:

I think everyone knows that $100 is a lot to most Habaneros.  But in fact, no - I also had an old $100 bill - she was only examining the polymer one. 

I doubt she was "impressed" - these clerks see this kind of money on a minute-by-minute basis.  All parties in that interaction know that there are two completely different economic systems at play. 

And I'm betting that they wouldn't be fooled by CT money either - shame on anyone who would try.  Unlike the seaports of old, trying it in a Cuban Cadeca would probably get you a few weeks in jail, or worse. 

I know things have changed in the almost 20 years I've been visiting Castro's island paradise, especially currency. Back in the 90's  $5.00 US was treated with reverence. Mind then air conditioning was a Mig engine duck taped to the window in your room,  you wanted a seat for your toilet you brought your own same for TP.  TV was one per hotel in the lobby with only the Fidel channel, and dinner was rice and whatever the bus hit on the way in from the airport.

Danjanou said:
I know things have changed in the almost 20 years I've been visiting Castro's island paradise, especially currency. Back in the 90's  $5.00 US was treated with reverence. Mind then air conditioning was a Mig engine duck taped to the window in your room,  you wanted a seat for your toilet you brought your own same for TP.  TV was one per hotel in the lobby with only the Fidel channel, and dinner was rice and whatever the bus hit on the way in from the airport.

TP is the same now; we carried ours in a plastic bag to protect from frequent thunderstorms.  In public washrooms, usually no water to flush or wash.  A small bottle of hand sanitizer is your friend.  Dinner hasn't changed much either.  By far the best dinners were at the casas particulares, in people's homes.  Not so much in the tourist restaurants, which are all run by the same government agency.  A/C... hit and miss.  If you hate the heat, don't go to the city in May, that's the best advice I can give.  :nod:

Man shoots himself trying to kill a mouse
By Brian Kelly, QMI Agency.
Article Link

WAWA, ONT. - A Goulais River, Ont., man accidentally shot himself in the forehead trying to kill a mouse.

The man was using the butt of a rifle to kill the rodent when the weapon went off Wednesday at a camp on Anjigami Lake, about 40 kilometres southeast of Wawa, provincial police said.

A bullet grazed his forehead, said Const. Amanda Huff.

The man didn't know the weapon was loaded.

"He was very lucky," said Huff.

The man was treated in hospital and released.

Dale Whitmell, 40, was charged with careless use of a firearm and will appear in court Sept. 17.
end

Back