• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What's the dumbest thing you heard said today?

Dennis Ruhl said:
I'm still looking for the document authorizing Canada to have a Prime minister.  When I find them, I'll let you know.

Words cannot express my despair...

I'm still looking for the document authorizing Canada to have a Prime minister.  When I find them, I'll let you know.
Yeah, I was going to post that the winner was the purveyor of that post, but I decided not to.

In case anyone was actually curious, the following excerpt from the Constitution Act would seem to authorize the appointment of a cabinet (i.e. ministers), which would presumably include a prime minister:

11. There shall be a Council to aid and advise in the Government of Canada, to be styled the Queen's Privy Council for Canada; and the Persons who are to be Members of that Council shall be from Time to Time chosen and summoned by the Governor General and sworn in as Privy Councillors, and Members thereof may be from Time to Time removed by the Governor General.

Interesting to note that there is no requirement for a minister of the Crown to be a member of the House of Commons.

Pusser said:
Interesting to note that there is no requirement for a minister of the Crown to be a member of the House of Commons.

Nope, Andrew McNaughton was Minister of Defence as an appointee until he resigned after failing to win a seat.  He was Minister from Nov 44 to Aug 45.  The same with his predecessor Ralston who failed to win a seat but was still made Minister, and the ran in a by-election.

Just think, the Prime Minister could appoint the best person for the job of running the organs of government rather than handing out that responsibility like gold stars for good behavior.

Edit: typo

AmmoTech90 said:
Nope, Andrew McNaughton was Minister of Defence as an appointee until he resigned after failing to win a seat.  He was Minister from Nov 44 to Aug 45.  The same with his predecessor Ralston who failed to win a seat but was still maid Minister, and the ran in a by-election.

Just think, the Prime Minister could appoint the best person for the job of running the organs of government rather than handing out that responsibility like gold stars for good behavior.

What is a maid minister?? That the minister in charging of cleaning? hehehehehehehe ;D

As I recall, John Turner was appointed Prime Minister before he actually had a seat in the Commons.  I remember seeing a picture of him sitting in the Gallery for his first parliamentary session.  He eventually won a seat in a by-election.

This didn't happen today BUT:

While watching a curling game, my sis in law's useless b/f asked "is this played on ice?" :facepalm:

Something happened near the Great Barrier Reef, he said it was off the coast of Newfoundland....  :facepalm:

He didn't think the Great Wall of China was still standing..... :facepalm:

He wants to be the world's best RV Salesman.... :facepalm:

CBC's reporting that seeding is delayed on the prairies, and they show a picture of an antique tractor and threshing machine sitting in a flooded field. They have such a tremendous grasp of the obvious. Some of the comments are fabulous! I don't know why I read that site! At least this one made me laugh, not want to kick over my monitor!!!

Hawk

Heard on the radio today that a man in the US was arrested after dumping roughly $250 worth of gasoline from a gas tank into the street..... so that he could take the empty tank to a scrap metal dealer for the estimated $60 he would get for the metal tank.

He's an air cadet...thought the kids at my eldest's squadron were a little odd, but this one takes the cake.  Oh, BTW Jim, he wants to be an infantry officer...have fun mentoring that  ;D.

MM

medicineman said:
He's an air cadet...thought the kids at my eldest's squadron were a little odd, but this one takes the cake.  Oh, BTW Jim, he wants to be an infantry officer...have fun mentoring that  ;D.

MM

Maybe I'll find some white combat booties for him.  :facepalm:

medicineman said:

MM

PSSST you're in the open with no cover... the rooster crows at midnight, I say again, the rooster crows at midnight

Kat Stevens said:
PSSST you're in the open with no cover... the rooster crows at midnight, I say again, the rooster crows at midnight

But does the eagle not fly high in the desert sun? Can bridges be made out of stone? What about a giant wooden badger....

oh yeah....GO BOSTON!!!!

In keeping with Jim's answer:

I am Arthur, King of the Britons; I seek the Holy Grail; a European or African Swallow?

Kat - point taken.  On the bright side, highly unlikely the young white bereted parachutist wannabe is from near me :).

MM

Hey! Don't put down my order like that!  :)

And our habits aren't even white!

Back