• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What was your price Stronach??????

Reply to Pronto:  actually all of Belinda Stronach handlers were/are Tories, but the Stronach
family are Liberals, Frank Stronach was a Liberal candidate when PET was PM. She will get advice
from people like Senator George Baker, Kevin Alward (in NF) plus Senator Jim Cowan, and Wilfred
Moore in NS, the Peterson's guys in Ontario, etc., - essentially Party people, and Chretien people
in Quebec. If I was advising her crew, I would have a chat with James Carville Democratic Party
strategist as well as the people around Senator Hillary Clinton. The next election as I see it will
be focused on the 30-40 age group (and younger), particularly women. You notice the number
of letters from women in the national media, appalled at the name calling and nasty remarks directed
against the Hon Belinda Stronach MP, who see her as a young, smart, strong and attractive women.
She made a switch - as I reported earlier, heard Harry Connick Jr. singing an old Irving Berlin song
the other night; "Why Don't You Change Partners and Dance With Me" - thats what people do
from time to time, change partners. MacLeod

I'm not going to refute any of the points but one, as it seems someone has the inside track on a lot of info.

I wouldn't count MacLellan out yet. She may or may not run for any type of leadership race. But as someone who lives in her riding (and not a Liberal), she is well thought of and respected. So although her races are tight, this riding is has quite a solid liberal base, considering a Liberal won the provincial seat and an NDP came in 2nd. An dat jus ain't herd of 'n Albertie... ;D

Tories' bitter words scored

http://torontosun.canoe.ca/News/Canada/2005/05/23/1052281.html

OTTAWA -- Belinda Stronach says some of the personal attacks mounted against her for defecting to the federal Liberals are a disgrace and a new low in Canadian politics.

"It's very interesting to me, in moments like this, how partisan people become," Stronach said yesterday on CTV's Question Period.

"There were a lot of negative comments made, and I find that disgraceful, quite frankly."

Stronach, who ran unsuccessfully for the Tory leadership last year, abandoned the party last week to sit in Prime Minister Paul Martin's cabinet and prop up his government in a budget vote.

She said she made the move out of concern that Conservative Leader Stephen Harper wasn't doing enough to bring the party into the moderate mainstream and was too cosy with the separatist Bloc Quebecois.

But Stronach, now the human resources minister, was accused by Tory critics of selling out for her own political advantage -- or worse.

Alberta MLA Tony Abbott said she was "whoring herself out for power," while former Ontario cabinet minister Bob Runciman called her an "attractive dipstick."

Stronach said she was also upset by the tendency of the news media to focus on the break-up of her romance with deputy Tory Leader Peter MacKay, rather than the political reasons for her move.

"I think it's a shame that so much attention has been put on my personal life," she told CTV. As for the partisan attacks, Stronach said they're an example of what's wrong with politics and called for a return to civility in public life.

Tory officials have pointed out that she jumped to the Liberals the day before a deadline to pay $379,000 that they say she owes from her leadership campaign.

Stronach said she wants an independent arbitrator to review the matter to make sure the rules are being fairly applied. She won't pay unless there is a review, she said.

Liberal Cabinet Minister, lawyer, and All-Star hocky player, Hon Ken Dryden, MP PC spoke to the
Liberal Caucus last Thursday; he is reported as saying; "if the game is worth playing, it is worth
winning" - Liberal politics and Hockey have that in common - winning. I believe MP Stronach
picked the winning team - got a call from a friend in Toronto yesterday, asking about a suitable
Conservative replacement for Hon. Stephen Harper MP - I lot of us admire Harper, a smart, articulate
and serious player, would make an excellent PM in our opinion. Tories should stick with Harper,
and depart from their nasty habit of destroying their leaders - PM Diefenbaker was terminated
by Progressive Conservatives, not Liberals of the period. The result of the by-election in Labrador
NF tomorrow will prove to be a benchmark I would think. MacLeod

Just a quick note - Harper, unlike Mulroney, has no ties to business. Although he is intelligent and serious, Bay street doesn't like him, and they don't like the chances. I have heard that Maurice Strong has dismissed him as unlikely. That's the kiss of death... Demarais hasn't said anything about him and neither has Pelideau (either one of them). I think we can count him out, but tommow's by-election will be interesting. Even more interesting will be the Marlene Catteral replacement in Ottawa-Nepean.

Cheers

Agreed - interesting point about Catteral, you are right. If Harper goes, who can lead the Conserrvatives
- Toronto friends talk about John Tory - do not known anything about him however. In NB they
talk about Premier Bernard Lord, an enigma in my opinion, in the local (Irving owned) media, who
appear to support him for whatever reason. MacLeod

O JMacLeod.... You are gonna love this.... There is still a HUGE draft Harris movement on Bay Street... Mike Harris could be a credible Harper replacement, but only if he stops playing coy and goes for it. He is a pretty decent manager, and has some good ties to the establishment. Plays a wicked game of golf too...

John Tory is old , established name. He could go all the way too. The problem is the party seems to feel they need eastern ontario or Quebec again... They know they need Ontario. A regional rump is nowhere to be in this day and age, and that's basically what Harper has. Tory may be a good candidate, but the party wants a barbell with heavyweights on both ends - that would be Tory in Queen's Park, and Harris in 24 Sussex.

Cheers!

Very interesting inside analysis, it seems we are developing our own political intelligence bureau.

The question is becoming: If the Liberals are focused only on winning elections, how will it be possible to put an alternative government in place? My own thoughts are on a long term "grassroots" kind of process, based on tapping into "Tax Fatigue" at the municipal level, but this is the work of a generation.

The Liberals have a huge lead due to their lock on the MSM, access to government money and the ability to attract anyone without morals or scruples. (I would have thought this would lead to a lot of infighting, but it seems they have the internal cohesion of a Mafia Family).

The Conservatives have some good ideas, but seem to have a difficult time articulating them to the public. The other parties appeal to a very narrow segment of the electorate (and are splitting the left wing vote BTW). What is to be done?

Harper would be a good PM, however because of this percieved scariness about him he likely won't win. It's unfortunate, strangely enough we've found a person who originally came from a middle class background, worked his way up to the opposition, yet is now deemed unfit for the highest position in the land. I think that Harper has always tried to showcase what the policies have been of the party, however the media seems to care more about slandering him more then anything else. I don't think John Tory or Benard Lord will make a better PM then Harper, and I don't even think Harris would be able to. In my own opinion the party should stick with Harper, do their best at winning the next election and go from their.

As well remember what happened when the Canadian Alliance chose to dump its former leader for somebody with more charisma and less experience, I forget what happened to them.

2332Piper said:
The people are not always right (especially in Canada), but thats what a democracy is all about.

Haha, Edmund Burke would have something to say about that - but then again, that is why he lost his seat.

On a serious note, this is a pretty important question.   Is it the job of our Representatives to go to Parliament to represent our wishes by doing what the constituents say need to be done?   Or is it the job of our Representatives to go to Parliament to represent us in getting into the details of politics and using their judgement to come to the rational decision on what is best for both his constituents and the country as a whole?   A strong case can probably be made for both.

Her price may be presiding over the end of the Liberals - you may remember Barbara Frum of the CBC - her son David wrote a book on an insider`s view of the First US Administration - he`s a right winger - but aren`t we all who can`t stand the Cdn version of Blonde Ambition?

Anyway - he suggests that if it was true that Voters did not want elections then it was good tactics to force and election and bury the Conservative..... but since this did not happen - maybe it happened for a reason - as in Hang on and hope things improve for the Libranos

Draw your own conclusions - http://www.aei.org/publications/pubID.22545,filter.all/pub_detail.asp

My personal opinion is that the Conservatives will stay with Harper. His major problem is with the
Toronto and Ottawa media, and their preceived attitude that they know what is best for the
political future of the country. I have watched Harper work a crowd in NB, and was quite impressed,
-he will make a substantial PM. But the Tories need a change in their strategy, focused on contact
- Keith Davey talked the reluctant Trudeau, a very private person, into becoming an political event,
(and Trudeau grew to love it). I cannot see former Premier Mike Harris in another political role, and
he still must deal with Ipperwash and it's consequences. And then there is PM Martin. His biggest
mistake in my opinion was in creating Gomery. Former PM Jean Chretien, despite reports to the
contrary is highly thought of in the Party he served for so many years, trusted and mentored by
Michell Sharp and PET. The Sponsorship Program, an incredibly stupid and ill conceived event was
created by MP's who owed their careers to Chretien, and betrayed him substantially, and they should be punished. I suggested to one of them (a lawyer used to be) to buy a copy of Poppels Manual of
Criminal Procedure, Canada. MacLeod

Belinda Stronach, you had a duty to your constituents and they voted for one for many reasons BUT first and foremost you were voted because you were a conservative (I used to live in your riding and I know the people of that area). Nice betrayal.

If any is beleiving fairy tales that we vote MPs for who they are and not what party they represent, wake up!

CANADIAN LIBERALS ARE CORRUPT !!!

wow - go away for a few hours, and some really insightful opinions arise... Thanks everyone, lots of fodder for thought. 

I have always subscribed to the "You tell us about you, then we decide if we like you, then you go to Ottawa, and vote on our behalf... You don't need to check with us on every vote, just represent us...." approach. This was the approach which worked until the advent of mass communications.... now of course, with the media's prompting, ('cause they love a scandal, and love to think of themselves as another arm of the government).... we have a movement to "check with the constituants before every vote"...

This is an interesting conumdrum. While I don't think a check every vote is appropriate, there are some which do seem to need a constituency view. (Let's not even go into the party whip forcing caucus to vote the party line...)

A lot of the party faithful to whom I speak feel that now that Mitchell Sharp and PET are gone,  Jean Chretien should shut up and siddown... They are pretty annoyed at Eddie Goldenberg and Jean Chretien's dealings with Paul Martin when Jean Chretien embarked on his 14 month "long goodbye"...
Mr. MacLeod (comme d'habitude) has a very astute point (mutal admiration society meeting starts at 21:00 EST). We really have to keep the media's role in this in our focus. I heard a media type say just the other day "never argue with someone who buys their ink by the barrel" Now, I don't know about you guys, but that seems to me to be a very, very thinly disguised threat. "Don't fu&k with me, or I'll smear you in my paper". Wow, doesn't THAT just effectively put a scare into the average person, stop all debate, and wind up the party?

Interesting thought about Ipperwash. That, surprisingly, is playing less and less in the media lately. I wonder if they have decided that now that they have eviscerated Stephen Harper a few times, they'll play Keith Davey and play up Michael Harris? I smell something like that...

Harper does indeed work a crowd very nicely. But, and this is a big "but"... if the media don't like you, or have decided to bring you down, then down you come. Remember Stanfield? Lord - that man could really work a room nicely. But he dropped the football (anyone remember THAT picture), and the media decided that he had to go. (Dalton Camp  didn't help, did he?)... I fear that the same situation will occur with Mr. Harper. I think we all have to really watch this closely.

Cheers all!

The Swiss have an interesting solution to the representatives conundrum, if their representatives won't advocate something, then the people may petition the government to consider and enact a piece of legislation. Unlike Canada, if a citizens petition meets certain conditions (i.e. number of signatures and I think has to represent a certain number of Cantons as well), then it has the force of law, the legislature cannot ignore it.

The Americans also keep things inthe centre with their Electoral college system. It is possible to have more votes, but if the votes are narrowly concentrated (i.e. the "Blue" states), the electoral college gives weight to the candidate who carries a broader cross section of the population (the "Red" states are not only more numerous, but cover the physical and social cross sectionof the US as well, meaning rural, urban, northen, southern, rich and poor voters have (or feel they have) their interests best represented by the President of the United States).

Canada should adopt some of these simple refinements to the electoral system (referendums and voter recall are other possible mechanisms) to make our system more responsive and accountable.

Stockwell Day and the Canadian Alliance advocated the same policies many of you refer to and they were called fascists and hate mongers. I doubt we'll ever see anything in that nature for a long time based on Canadian's reaction to having the ability to take a direct part in the decision making process.

Date: Sun, 22 May 2005 15:58:16 -0600 (CST)
Subject: Names

Peter Mackay should have checked out babynamesworld.com before he hooked up with Stronach. The website for prospective parents allows you to search the original meaning of Names. When you enter the name BELINDA it returns of Spanish and Italian origin and its meaning "BEAUTIFUL SNAKE"

From another site:

"Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 08:43:49 -0600 (CST)
Subject: Help Punt The Traitress

I received this from my riding association - yes,
B*****a was my MP, but now she's just a lieberal.

If you have any spare cash left over from other worthy
causes, consider tossing it our way. It'll gleefully
get put to good use.

----

ELECTORAL DISTRICT OF NEWMARKET-AURORA

Dear friends,

Recently, our Member of Parliament, Belinda Stronach,
abandoned her constituents and fellow conservative
members to join Paul Martin's corrupt Liberal
government. The initial shock of her defection has
quickly grown into a groundswell of anger, disgust and
complete betrayal by supporters who gave their money
and time to her election campaign, and by the citizens
of Newmarket-Aurora who entrusted her with their vote.
Those of us who had worked hard for Ms. Stronach
under the Conservative Party banner feel slighted and
abandoned and are left with an enormous challenge
ahead.

On a national scale, her actions have only served to
fuel the ever-growing cynicism developed by Canadians
over the eleven years of corrupt and arrogant Liberal
rule. All of this at a time when the political future
of Canada has never been more important!!

It is essential that in Newmarket-Aurora, we show the
country that crass personal ambition IS NOT rewarded.
If Ms. Stronach is re-elected as a Liberal then there
will be no telling how low the political standards in
this country will sink. We, our families and friends,
all deserve so much better.

We must elect a true Conservative candidate who will
put constituents ahead of personal ambition and who
will defeat Belinda Stronach in the next federal
election.

We are therefore respectfully asking for your
financial support. Any amount, large or small, will be
most appreciated, and will help us elect a true
conservative member of parliament.  Most importantly,
you will be helping us to send a powerful message to
the country and the world, that integrity does matter
and politicians that abandon their constituents will
not be re-elected. 

In order to receive a tax receipt for your donation
please ensure that you send your complete name and
address. Cheques should be made payable to CPC
Newmarket-Aurora and should be forwarded to:

CPC Newmarket - Aurora Electoral District Association
P.O. Box 71515
Aurora, Ontario, L4G 6S9

Thank you for your quick response, as time is of the
essence. We appreciate your consideration and thank
you in advance for your time.

Regards,

Lindsay Mason
VP Fund Raising"

------------------------------

Apparently even billionnaires have their price.  Harper spemt a lot of political capital over the vote in the house.  It is now more important than ever to ensure that Ms. Stronach's treachery is soundly punished.

From the 29 May 2005 Ottawa Citizen:

Stronach leaves many in her dust
Hundreds of supporters, campaign volunteers, advisers
and others were left in the MP's wake as she swept
across the floor, writes Norma Greenaway.

Norma Greenaway 
The Ottawa Citizen

Sunday, May 29, 2005

CREDIT: Tom Hanson, The Canadian Press
Belinda Stronach shocked the political scene on
Parliament Hill on May 17 when she announced she was
leaving the Conservative party for the Liberals and
also nailed down a cabinet post as minister of human
resources.

Fresh from an evening pep talk to Conservative
candidates, Bob Dechert settled in for a scotch and
soda at the Delta Hotel bar in downtown Ottawa. Within
minutes, he was face to face with the elegant Belinda
Stronach, who, he recalls, was gliding through the bar
in full schmooze mode.

Mr. Dechert, who had recently won the Conservative
nomination in the Toronto-area riding of
Mississauga-Erindale, was keen to talk to Ms.
Stronach. After all, she had written him an e-mail,
congratulating him on his nomination. "Let me know if
I can be helpful to you," she wrote on May 5. "I am
pretty good at knocking on doors by now."

It was Friday, May 13, less than a week before the
crucial budget vote in the Commons that most people
expected would trigger an election. As he relives the
encounter with Ms. Stronach, one can almost hear the
steam coming out of Mr. Dechert's ears.

"Look, she lied directly to my face," Mr. Dechert
says. "I asked her what she though of the timing of
the election. She looked at me and said, 'I think
we've got a good opportunity now, and we just can't
support these corrupt Liberals anymore.' "

It turns out, of course, that she was already in early
discussions that ultimately led to her defection to
the Liberals. Over dinner with Prime Minister Paul
Martin at 24 Sussex Drive the following Monday, she
agreed to cross the floor and nailed down a cabinet
post as minister of human resources.

"From my perspective, that shows dishonesty, a lack of
ethics and dishonourable conduct," says Mr. Dechert,
who was an active player in the efforts to unite the
right into a single party.

"Clearly, she doesn't intend to pay her dues and work
from the shop floor up. She didn't do it at Magna, and
she's not willing to do it in politics either."

If Mr. Dechert is feeling burned by the actions of the
wealthy, former CEO of Magna International Inc., the
auto-parts giant founded by her father, he has lots of
company inside and outside Ms. Stronach's Ontario
riding of Newmarket-Aurora.

Peter Seemann, who was running her re-election
campaign in the riding until her defection on May 17,
says he's flabbergasted by her lack of regard for the
people who worked so hard to get the political
newcomer elected a year ago as a Conservative MP.

"A lot of decisions she made trickle down, and the
wave took out a lot of people on the ground that put a
lot of blood, sweat and tears into it (her election),"
he said.

A Liberal also got caught in the wave. She is Martha
Hall Findlay, the 46-year-old lawyer and long-time
political activist who had already been acclaimed to
once again carry the Liberal banner in
Newmarket-Aurora against the Conservative Ms.
Stronach.

Suddenly, Ms. Hall Findlay was stepping aside in
favour of Ms. Stronach, the woman who had eked out a
narrow victory over Ms. Hall Findlay in the last
federal election and who Ms. Hall Findlay hoped to
unseat this time around.

After losing to Ms. Stronach by only 689 votes last
June, Ms. Hall Findlay hired a campaign manager and
was ready to hit the ground running. Accused of being
a parachute candidate in the last election because her
home was in Collingwood, she moved into the riding and
put down roots in hopes of bolstering her chances.

Ms. Hall Findlay learned of Ms. Stronach's move just
12 hours before it was announced in Ottawa. Mike
Elzenga, president of the Liberal party, broke the
news to her after a Liberal party function in Toronto.

"It's not hard to be gracious," Ms. Hall Findlay said
of her decision to bow out. She said winning the
budget vote was more important than her candidacy. But
she doesn't pretend bowing out was easy.

For now, Ms. Hall Findlay says, she's in the Liberal's
good books, and the party is keen to help her find
another riding to run in. She insists, however,
nothing was promised in return for getting out of Ms.
Stronach's way.

Most of the people affected by the Stronach wave are
Conservatives. There are such prominent Stronach
backers as former Ontario premiers Bill Davis and Mike
Harris and former prime minister Brian Mulroney who
have been left with egg on their faces.

There is also wily Conservative strategist John
Laschinger of Toronto. Mr. Laschinger, who directed
Ms. Stronach's unsuccessful bid for the Conservative
leadership, says he doesn't want to say anything that
would hurt or help her.

He says he hasn't worked for her since the leadership
contest, and suggests a new gig with the newly-minted
Liberal is unlikely, given his long Tory ties. "I'm
probably not going to get asked," he says.

Conservative leader Stephen Harper's anger and snide
comments are well-documented. "I've never noticed
complexity to be Belinda's strong points," he mused,
responding to her comment that Mr. Harper was
insensitive to how big and complex Canada is.

And Peter MacKay's heartbreak over losing his latest
romantic love was played out publicly in several
television interviews.

The Nova Scotia MP's raw emotions were on display in
the aftermath of the budget vote on May 19. "I'm going
to go home and maybe walk my dog," he told reporters.
"Dogs are loyal," Mr. MacKay said.

Less well-known are the hundreds of supporters,
campaign volunteers, advisers and others Ms. Stronach
has left in her wake as she swept across the floor.

Most are political partisans of the Conservative ilk.
A few remain on her new team -- among them are adviser
Mark Entwistle, a former diplomat and one-time aide to
Mulroney she pays out of her own deep pockets; Mike
Liebrock, a parliamentary assistant who was seen by
colleagues as more loyal to Ms. Stronach than the
party; and John Gould, the riding vice-president of
communications who ran her website.

Mr. Entwistle has said he helped with Ms. Stronach's
transition but does not expect to become a permanent
member of her office or ministerial staff.

Most who worked for Conservative MP Ms. Stronach are
scrambling for new paid political jobs. Tara Bingham,
a 32-year-old staffer who cut her teeth on Parliament
Hill with Preston Manning and the Reform party, and
Cory MacDonald, Ms. Stronach's senior policy adviser,
are among Conservative loyalists on the hunt for new
work.

Meanwhile, grassroots Conservative activists say they
are gearing up -- with a new fire in their bellies --
to make sure Ms. Stronach's career as Liberal MP for
Newmarket-Aurora ends when the votes are tallied in
the next election. A new fundraising drive is under
way, and Mr. Seemann says money has started to flow in
from Conservatives across the country who are upset
with Ms. Stronach.

"Sweet vengeance," is how Mr. Seemann summed up the
mood. The riding will nominate a new candidate next
month, and Mr. Seemann says he'll campaigning flatout
for the winner.

A tiny clutch of protesters greeted Ms. Stronach
Thursday at her first public appearance in her central
Ontario riding since taking up the Liberal colours.
Three people wearing rubber Jean Chretien and Bill
Clinton masks shouted, "Shame" and "Boo-linda!" as the
Liberal MP opened a student business centre by
extolling the Liberal government's efforts to support
small business and young people.

Mr. Seemann says the riding will also be sending the
Liberal party a bill for at least $10,000 to cover
money already spent on Ms. Stronach's now-aborted
Conservative campaign.

That said, Conservatives admit it won't be easy to
beat Ms. Stronach, who has attracted her own fan base.

"There will be people who support her, and people who
say she betrayed us," said Stephen Somerville,
president of the riding association. "I'm not sure
which side is going to be bigger."

While Mr. Dechert still fumes over Ms. Stronach's
performance during the candidate training program in
Ottawa on the weekend of May 13, Mr. Seemann's blood
boils about an incident three nights later.

On Monday, May 16, he was waiting for a call from Ms.
Stronach to approve the layout he had sent to Ottawa
earlier in the day for her campaign signs. He now
knows that was the night the defection deal was
sealed.

"She obviously was consumed by other meetings," he
cracks with a half-hearted laugh. "She didn't postpone
her dinner with the prime minster to get back to me."

The first he heard of her defection was when he got a
call from Conservative party headquarters the next
day.

As the record now shows, Ms. Stronach had a busy
night, dining first with Mr. MacKay, who was in the