• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What Foreign Armies Can We Join?

• Thread starter Thread starter smoky
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure that if a Canadian Hornet pilot offers his service in the States, they won't say no.... 

Max

SupersonicMax said:
I'm sure that if a Canadian Hornet pilot offers his service in the States, they won't say no.... 

Max

Well that Hornet pilot would have to get his immigration status cleared away first in the States, since any US military branch is prohibited by law from assisting non-resident foreigners in the immigration process. Immigration status comes first, regardless of your qualifications- it's not like that Dutch Air Force pilot here in Canada who got into Aircom before getting citizenship (which he got recently), as mentioned in earlier in another thread.

CougarKing said:
Well that Hornet pilot would have to get his immigration status cleared away first in the States, since any US military branch is prohibited by law from assisting non-resident foreigners in the immigration process. Immigration status comes first, regardless of your qualifications- it's not like that Dutch Air Force pilot here in Canada who got into Aircom before getting citizenship (which he got recently), as mentioned in earlier in another thread.
Dutch pilot was on attached posting flying the CF18.... not quite the same situation

rz350 said:
Does that apply to USAF as well? And to officer? Or just NCM?

BTW, NCMs in the US military are called "Enlisted Personnel" or "Enlisted Men/Women". Their sergeants (E-5 to E-9) are also called NCOs, though their Warrant Officers have a different status (they're SALUTED, hehe) from our warrant officers.

Ya, we liaise with the US Army Ordnance Corps often, and I am up there sometimes daily when we have a crisis, and vise-versa. I know their Chief quite well. He is a top bloke, and his Coy will do anything to help us out. They are truly a great asset to us. Anyways, he gets saluted all the time from every direction. Salutes whilst carrying rifles too, but not in the way we know, but the rifle slung, and a normal 'without arms' salute. Looks wierd, but thats how it is in their Army, its their rules and regs.

On operations, Australians salute no one, not even our own. Compliments are paid to our officers by a "G'day" or "how ya goin Sir", nothing more. I have not chucked a 'boxer' since August.

Cheers,

Wes

Towards_the_gap said:
Just to clarify one minor point. There is no 'British Foreign Legion'. If you join the British Army/Royal Navy/RAF as a commonwealth citizen, you are enlisted on the same contract as the native brits, at the same rate of pay, and in the same unit. For an example, in my squadron at the moment there are: Nepalese (not a gurkha, from hong kong), St Lucian, Jamaican, South African, Zimbabwean, Ghanian, Ugandan, Canadian (me) and Kiwi.

When I joined the 5 year residency thing was mentioned, as it is now, on the website, but in reality, I arrived in London in Feb, went to the careers office after checking into a hostel, and 2 months later was on the train to basic training. The only proviso is that any citizenship/immigration needs are to be dealt with solely by yourself, for example, if I were to serve the full 22 year career, at the end of it, if I had not done anything about it, I would have 28 days following my discharge to leave the country, with no inherent right to stay. It normally takes 5 years residency to qualify for citizenship, and luckily time served out of the country but whilst in the forces does count.

I took the precaution of writing the regiment I wanted to join before leaving Canada - sent a letter direct to the Regimental Colonel. It worked well. They arranged everything for me before I arrived in the UK. I turned up in London, spent a week in the enlistment process then went stright to depot. God Save the Regimental system. When I retired I got the dreaded letter inviting me to PUFO sharpish. My own fault I guess, should have done my homework. But who has that kind of time in the infantry, eh?

Good thread here. I am personally waiting to get sponsored for citizenship by the U.S Marine Corps. They are very welcoming.. My friend is 22 years old and he has fought in Falluja already. Some stories he had were crazy to say the least. He said it was a good time...most of the time. There are many more armed organizations in the world other than the Canadians. Take your pick. :-\

Hey Ronni,

Good for you. Be careful though. It's not for everyone. For example, don't expect to retire back to your old home town, put a veternas plate on your car, and have people carry you around on their shoulders for all the great work you've done for your country overseas. Other countries pick fights (e.g., Iraq, Northern Ireland, Rhodesia) that many Canadians don't understand or support. It's likely that you will get home to see your families far less than other troops. Many of the benefits applicable to retired soldiers in foreign armies are not transferable to Canada. You may also face some discrimination in promotion , courses etc - though that was never my experience personally. And if you're killed or wounded... well, we won't go there, but it will be different for you and your family than for nationals.

So, make your choice with your eyes wide open and get over the 'romantic' notions of running away to join someone else's army just for fun. It's a serious commitment to leave alot of things behind (like Tim Hortons... my God, the sacrifices!) and support the foreign policy of some else's country at greater risk to yourself and family than some others.

Having said all that, once you've made your decision, go for it. No half measures in this department. Good luck Mr. Bond!

D&B

ronnychoi said:
Good thread here. I am personally waiting to get sponsored for citizenship by the U.S Marine Corps. They are very welcoming.. My friend is 22 years old and he has fought in Falluja already. Some stories he had were crazy to say the least. He said it was a good time...most of the time. There are many more armed organizations in the world other than the Canadians. Take your pick. :-\

Is that what is required now?

I went down, the USMC sponsored me as a landed immigrant(1966), I was offered US citizenship 2 years later to comply with security regulations, but declined unless I could retain my Canadian citizenship.

Basically you just need to get sponsored by a higher up in the organization you are wanting to join. In my case I was born in Manitoba and I do not have dual citizenship. Its tough (as in tedious) to get a working visa but possible. I heard many a Canadian had served in the Vietnam conflict. As for health benefits and such, I can mooch the Canadian system if need be. Pension is available to me if I stay in for xx number of years. In regards to promotions, why would they put someone incompetent in front of a potentially excellent soldier?

Albeit this is my plan B. Plan A is the Canadian army, and plan C is the Royal Marines. Plan D is French-Serbo Legion.

GAP said:
Is that what is required now?

I went down, the USMC sponsored me as a landed immigrant(1966), I was offered US citizenship 2 years later to comply with security regulations, but declined unless I could retain my Canadian citizenship.

I'm sorry I really missed that, do you know if the rules have changed since 1966? I have a feeling they may have.

ronnychoi said:
Basically you just need to get sponsored by a higher up in the organization you are wanting to join. In my case I was born in Manitoba and I do not have dual citizenship. Its tough (as in tedious) to get a working visa but possible. I heard many a Canadian had served in the Vietnam conflict. As for health benefits and such, I can mooch the Canadian system if need be. Pension is available to me if I stay in for xx number of years. In regards to promotions, why would they put someone incompetent in front of a potentially excellent soldier?

Albeit this is my plan B. Plan A is the Canadian army, and plan C is the Royal Marines. Plan D is French-Serbo Legion.

Ronny,

The last time I checked, you must BE A GREEN-CARD holder/Permanent Resident/Landed Immigrant in the United States if you a foreign citizen (without dual US-Canadian citizenship) who wants to enlist. And any US military branch is prohibited by law from assisting any non-resident foreigner in the immigration process.

check these links to confirm what I said.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joiningthemilitary/f/noncitizen.htm

Basically you just need to get sponsored by a higher up in the organization you are wanting to join

Would you mind ELABORATING on this????? I certainly find this hard to believe, having studied myself in the United States on a student visa for 6 years and it's very hard for any foreigner to get a working visa to stay there permanently (anything short of marrying a US citizen of course).

The only foreigners who can join the US military nowadays are those First-Nations Tribal members in Canada, as well people from US territories/protectorates such as Puerto Rico, Guam and Samoa and yes, the Marshall Islands. (The last one is a signatory of the Treaty of Association, which allows the citizens of that nation to join the US miltary)

They also used to have a special program for people from the Philippines that allowed them to enlist in the United States Navy, but that ended in 1992 with the closing of the US bases in Subic Bay and Clark AFB with the termination of the Philippines's participation of the Treaty of Association, since it was also a signatory.

I know I am getting late in this, but I am the only person who thought it was rather odd that the Brits would allow person's from the Republic of Ireland to join their military.  I know they are geographically pretty close, but still given the long history between the two countries, it just strikes me as a little odd.

Irish soldiers werving in the British Army has been a tradition for centuries. Since partition in 1922 they've still accepted Irishmen into the military. I served with many Irishmen in my time with the British Army and it's true, they're quite mad... and irreplaceable.

ronnychoi said:
My friend is 22 years old and he has fought in Falluja already. Some stories he had were crazy to say the least. He said it was a good time...most of the time. There are many more armed organizations in the world other than the Canadians. Take your pick. :-\

Just remember Ronnie, its no game here in Syhteland. Falluja, Ramadi, Sadr City, Karadah, Dorah, etc. Ther are people here trying to kill you every day.

Its war, and its for keeps.

At 22, your friend is bloody lucky. A good time? Crazy stories? You almost make it sound cool, fun and inviting, almost 'romantic'.

Be careful what you wish for Ronnie! No wannabees here.

Now, as for joining a foreign force, I've only been home once since 2000. The 'coolness' of being in an other Army dies pretty fast when your thousands of km away from all thats dear to you. After +12 yrs, I still get homesick, and I am 47 yrs old! I've missed many special days, funerals, reunions and any other occasion. A new country is a new home. Your place of birth takes 2nd place, as does former loyalties too. You earn your citizenship from which others its a birthright!

In closing, remember one one thing Ronnie, there is NO glory in death, dying, and killing, and its by far an adventure. Its not a movie or TV series here. Endless long hard days, heaps of stress, little sleep, and hell literally 'razing' all around you.

Wes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back