• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

V 22 in Halifax...Very cool

Navy_Blue

Inactive
Reaction score
A V 22 Osprey has been buzzing around Halifax the last few days.  I got my first real views of it today when it was over Stadaconna.  I must say it looks much cooler in the flesh.  I think it was here for cold weather trials must be soon ready to pack up.  Anyone know when the the US will be flying them operationally??

:cdn:

Took out the "F" happy :P

Navy_Blue said:
A VF 22 Osprey has been buzzing around Halifax the last few days.  I got my first real views of it today when it was over Stadaconna.  I must say it looks much cooler in the flesh.  I think it was here for cold weather trials must be soon ready to pack up.  Anyone know when the the US will be flying them operationally??

V-22.....there's nothing "F" about it  ;D

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ac/v-22.htm

Wow.

This project lives?

I saw footage a few years ago of crash after crash after crash
of the Osprey.  I can only assume they fixed that problem.

gravyboat said:
I'll have to take a spin down Caldwell Rd. tommorrow.

Won't see squat on Caldwell, it isn't in Shearwater. It was buzzing around the Int'l on Wed while I was there doing some autorotations. The only thing other than Sea Kings flying out of Shearwater is a Brit Apache Longbow.

aesop081 said:
Cold weather trials

Yup, she's all painted up in orange on the surfaces they want to test for icing.

Just was wondering if the CF could use this craft as a SAR replacement, or is it to unproven to be in that role ?

There is a similar airplane to the V-22, which is also from Bell, the Bell/Agusta BA609 tilt-rotor. It is smaller than the V-22, and is powered by a pair of PWC PT-6's. You can easily mistake the BA609 from a distance with a V-22, if they are painted the same way.

Armymatters said:
There is a similar airplane to the V-22, which is also from Bell, the Bell/Agusta BA609 tilt-rotor. It is smaller than the V-22, and is powered by a pair of PWC PT-6's. You can easily mistake the BA609 from a distance with a V-22, if they are painted the same way.

Thanks for the info, but I already said it was indeed an Osprey. I'm going to let you in on a little secret us pilots have, we use these things called radios and when a tilt rotor aircraft that looks like an Osprey, is painted grey like an Osprey, and uses the call sign OspreyXX, it's probably an Osprey.

Maybe you need to have a closer look at the difference between the BA609 and the V-22, they have very different tails, the nose on the Osprey is much less pronounced and the fact that the BA609 looks like a Dash 8 with a tilt rotor makes is pretty easy to tell the two apart.

V-22 has a very distinctively wide fuselage as well.  and it was low enough to see it had a ramp.  I was impressed  ;D

Inch said:
Thanks for the info, but I already said it was indeed an Osprey. I'm going to let you in on a little secret us pilots have, we use these things called radios and when a tilt rotor aircraft that looks like an Osprey, is painted grey like an Osprey, and uses the call sign OspreyXX, it's probably an Osprey.

Maybe you need to have a closer look at the difference between the BA609 and the V-22, they have very different tails, the nose on the Osprey is much less pronounced and the fact that the BA609 looks like a Dash 8 with a tilt rotor makes is pretty easy to tell the two apart.

Yeah, but they look the same in the pictures :P

recceguy said:
Yeah, but they look the same in the pictures :P

You're right, pictures don't lie. I guess seeing it in real life as it blew by me for an overhead break last week kind of confused me.  ;D

I was wondering, what makes Halifax a good place for cold weather testing? Does it even get that cold over there? I would assume that Iqaluit would be a better testing ground? Is Halifax more favourable since Iqaluit is less developed and lacks certain CF installations?

It's not cold weather trials so much as icing trials.  You wouldn't believe the weather they will go up in.  I remember when the Cormorant was going through its trials.  The weather would pretty much be at limits for ceiling and visibility, with a forecast of icing in clouds and it would be the only thing in the air.

Yeah, but they look the same in the pictures

???

http://www.aerospace-technology.com/projects/ba609/
http://images.google.ca/images?q=V-22+Osprey&hl=en&lr=&sa=X&oi=images&ct=title

Someone needs to get a new perscription for their glasses.  ;D

CF-22 Raptor said:
I was wondering, what makes Halifax a good place for cold weather testing? Does it even get that cold over there? I would assume that Iqaluit would be a better testing ground? Is Halifax more favourable since Iqaluit is less developed and lacks certain CF installations?

Strike's got it. Just to elaborate a bit. Most icing occurs just below the freezing level, so you don't need it to be -30 to do icing trials, in fact, at -30 there is actually very little liquid moisture in the air thus very little icing. Since Halifax tends to stay around 0 to -15 most of the winter and there is a lot of moisture in the air from the ocean, it makes it the ideal location to do icing trials.

Back