• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Um What Piece of Kit is This?

Yeoman said:
I'm not special and I've used it.
well I am special, but only my mom says that.

So it's made its way down to normal battalion use sometimes? Right on.

Well that's good to hear. Despite the range limitation, I am convinced that Simunition has more training value than MILES does.

Speaking of laser simulators though, can someone fill me in on the difference between MILES and WES? Some friends of mine at the CbtEng school told me they were going to use the WES system on their course and that it was rumoured to be better than MILES.

Our (Vancouver) platoon was supposed to be able to borrow the equipment and get some simunition rounds for training. That never paned out, due to other constrains, but I have a feeling that simunition is out there if we need it.

And now that I think about it, they had it all at Cougar Salvo 06. Well, for the door crashers anyway.

PatrickO said:
Well that's good to hear. Despite the range limitation, I am convinced that Simunition has more training value than MILES does.

Speaking of laser simulators though, can someone fill me in on the difference between MILES and WES? Some friends of mine at the CbtEng school told me they were going to use the WES system on their course and that it was rumoured to be better than MILES.

MILES Gear:

The Multiple Integrated Laser Engagement System or MILES is used by the United States Armed Forces and other armed forces around the world for training purposes. It uses lasers and blank cartridges to simulate actual battle.

Individual soldiers carry small laser receivers scattered over their bodies, which detect when the soldier has been shined by a firearm's laser. Each laser transmitter is set to mimic the effective range of the weapon on which it is used. When a person is "hit," a medic can use the digital readout to determine which first aid method to practice.

Different versions of MILES systems are available both within the US and internationally. The capabilities of the individual systems can vary significantly but in general all modern systems carry information about the shooter, weapon and ammunition in the laser. When this information is received by the target, the target's MILES system determines the result of the 'hit' using a random number roll and a table lookup. As a result a MILES emulating an M-16 rifle cannot destroy an Armored Personell Carrier (APC), but could still kill a commander visible in the hatch of the vehicle. Vehicles are typically outfitted with a belt of laser sensors while dismounted troops often wear a vest or harness with sensors as well as a 'halo' of sensors on their helmets. Often these MILES systems are coupled with a real-time datalink allowing position and event data to be transmitted back to a central site for data collection and display. More sophisticated systems for tanks and APCs exist that use various techniques (including scanning lasers and coupled radio systems) to do more precise targeting of armored vehicles.

(Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MILES)

WES System:

The Weapon Effects Simulation system, commonly referred to as WES, is a live simulation system to be delivered as six separate suites. WES is comprised of the following sub-systems:

Direct Fire Weapon Effects Simulators, or DFWES, include lasers mounted on all direct fire weapons such as rifles, machine guns and missiles, as well as laser detectors integrated onto soldier and vehicle players. Players are also equipped with miniature computers, radios, global positioning systems and power packs used to process, transmit and receive all engagement data. DFWES will also include the Observer Controller equipment that initializes player status and collects engagement data directly from players for field After Action Reviews. All suites will include DFWES.
Area Weapon Effects Simulation, or AWES, is computer software generated, radio transmitted simulation of area weapon fire. Area weapons include artillery and mortars, minefields, and nuclear, biological and chemical events. Observer Controllers and the Exercise Control centre will transmit all AWES engagements. All suites will have AWES capability.
Exercise Control, or EXCON, is a purpose-built control centre that will house all the people, hardware and software required to run WES exercises. Only the Wainwright suite will have an EXCON facility. It will include the computers, databases and software required to conduct Exercise Planning and Preparation (EPP), to monitor capture and record engagement data, and to prepare After Action Reviews (AAR) and Take Home Packages (THP). It will also include the Operator Analysts who will monitor each training exercise and highlight relevant lessons learned as they occur. Using the collected and highlighted engagement data, Army training officers will prepare AARs for the exercising units.
Communication and Information System, or CIS, is a separate radio system used for the transmission of engagement data between the EXCON and the players in the field. Only the Wainwright suite will have a CIS.
Contractor Conducted Logistics Support, or CCLS, is the integrated provision of all support and repair services to WES for a ten-year period following final delivery. All suites will include some form of CCLS.

What is live simulation?

Answer No. 3 - Live simulation occurs when real people use real systems to conduct a simulation. WES is a live simulation system that will permit soldiers to use themselves, their real weapons and their vehicles as simulators. Each weapon will fire blank ammunition that triggers the firing of a laser pulse. Each laser pulse simulates the firing of real ammunition. Laser detectors on the players detect hits or near misses. Virtual simulation of some area weapons will be the only exception to this, where soldiers will fire area weapons that are simulated by computers

(Source: http://www.forces.gc.ca/wes/questions_e.html)

Dissident said:
Our (Vancouver) platoon was supposed to be able to borrow the equipment and get some simunition rounds for training. That never paned out, due to other constrains, but I have a feeling that simunition is out there if we need it.

And now that I think about it, they had it all at Cougar Salvo 06. Well, for the door crashers anyway.

I was disappointed by Cougar Salvo 07. The low turnout was understandable and expected locally, but the lack of a live-fire portion AND no simunition made it pretty crappy. And that's without factoring in the weather!

Nfld sapper, thanks for posting that.

Back