• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Um What Piece of Kit is This?

Foofighter

Inactive
Reaction score
This is probably a really stupid question, but what the hell are these guys wearing on their heads???

server.np

AmmoTech90 said:
Protective gear for use with marker rounds (simmunition).

OK - but if they're using simmunition, why is there a BFA on the weapon?

Roy Harding said:
OK - but if they're using simmunition, why is there a BFA on the weapon?
Maybe simunition was only given to OPFOR?  I notice that there is also MILES on the weapons.

Yrys said:
civy question : is simmunition blank ?
No.  Simunition fires a projectile that will cause enough pain that you know you've been hit.  However, it won't kill or injure (less some bruising). 

MCG said:
No.  Simunition fires a projectile that will cause enough pain that you know you've been hit.  However, it won't kill or injure (less some bruising). 

Thanks for the answer. How does it do that  : less powder, different one ? Does it react the same physical way (same trajectory)?

Simunition is basically a round that has a plastic paint tipped bullet, then a metal one. It has less gun powder so the range is limited, and it not only hurts but it marks the place where you've been hit. Hence the paint :)

W :eek:W it's canadian !

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simunition

I describe simmunition as paintball on steroids to my friends, cause thats basically what they are.  Also since they don't make simmunition for support weapons, its not surprising that the C9 is using blanks, with MILES gear.

Edit, I was just on the simunition site (www.simunition.com) and it appears they now make 5.56mm marker rounds both singles and linked.  Anyone know if he have started using this for the C9s?

Haven't seen any used for C9 yet, but it would be a great step forward in training realism, even though  I would hate to be on the receiving end...  :-\

Douke

For anyone who cares the picture referenced was taken at Stalwart Guardian 06.

Or the en force could just be using paintballs.

Cheaper and easier to get.

MedTech said:
Simunition is basically a round that has a plastic paint tipped bullet, then a metal one. It has less gun powder so the range is limited, and it not only hurts but it marks the place where you've been hit. Hence the paint :)

The current CF simunition round uses a 9 mm cartridge in order to fire the round.

Devlin said:
For anyone who cares the picture referenced was taken at Stalwart Guardian 06.

I think I've seen this pic floating around after Stalwart Guardian 05 as a promotion for 06... could be wrong.
But, since Stalwart 05 was the only SG I've been on, and we used Simunition with Miles gear (thus the gorilla masks and lazers) for that ex (for OBUA), that leads me to believe the picture might have been taken in 05...  But knowing the reserve system, they could have very well done the same thing in 06... even though we all mentioned, during various AARs, how pointless it was to use 2 different types of casualty identification systems in one ex.

Either way, that's a silly picture which doesn't represent training in the reserve (or regular) force well.  I don't know how many times I've had to explain it, and then why it's wrong to my civilian friends.  Oh well.

CFB Petawawa, Ontario, Canada

Soldiers of 33 Light Infantry Battalion take cover behind a flipped car during operations in built-up areas training, on Exercise Stalwart Guardian 2004 at CFB Petawawa. The Exercise involved more than 3600 troops-including some 3,000 Reservists- and focused on operations in the transitional phase of war, which include raids, blocks, and operations in built-up areas.

Photo by Cpl Philip Cheung, 32 Brigade Group Public Affairs

Ahhh.... Thats right... it was 04.  I was in Meaford finishing a contract as CQ staff in 05.

Meh... either way, it was a crap ex.  Learned nothing and got some nice bruises from the simunition.

Simunition is good for OBUA, but is pointless for much else due to its lack of range. Miles is decent for section attacks, but is pretty out dated.
Haven't used the WES yet, but I hear good things... at least you don't have to wear the gorilla masks.

I agree with that!!! I was shot 3 weeks ago, 19 times, at close range (1-3m), from a S&W (9mm). I was wearing almost all of the required safety kit, my body armour, Kevlar gloves and coveralls. One shot hit me between my glove and sleeve, I still have a mark that will turn into a scar  :crybaby:. That hand was "protecting" a vital part of my body...I forgot to put my cup on  :-[! Two more shots hit me below my vest and above my belt line, I still have small welts on my stomach.

Moral of the story is two fold...one where all your required safety gear and two, most importantly....do not charge LEO's, with their pistols drawn and pointed at you with a plastic knife...you will lose!

Yup, I remember that ex... In fact, that would have been the same particular raid I was on.

We had Simunition for the C7s, and MILES for the supprt weapons. So we had to tote both the simunition kit and MILES receivers. I was a C9 gunner for that, not a whole ton of fun. Hopefully the 5.56 simunition will make these exercises run a bit more smoothly. Now if only they could get some decent masks... The paintball industry might actually be of some help in this regard.

RHFC_piper said:
Meh... either way, it was a crap ex.

Oh, yeah? I had a blast - but then I was doing the helicopter bit.

Feedback that I got while strolling the PZs and chatting with the troops between lifts varied considerably according to the company. Leadership at that level seems to have been the determining factor.

Given the effort that went into planning and conducting it and the money spent it HAD to be better than the milcons that I went on in the mid-seventies.

It was a very ambitious and politically risky ex, and I think that it raised people's appreciation of what reservists could do.

Back to the kit question: a light blue upper receiver and barrel combination replaced the upper receiver/barrel of the standard C7 and C8 - this altered the calibre of the weapon to accept the Simunition and blue is the colour of inert training ammunition.

Back