• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

U.S. troops shoot at Cdn. diplomats' car in Iraq

CFL said:
wack-in-iraq would also include a Can Military Convoy passing an American one?

A Canadian military convoy in Iraq?  Boy, someone really screwed up on the nav....

CFL said:
wack-in-iraq would also include a Can Military Convoy passing an American one?

Well this wasnt a convoy, it was a car with a sticker on it. The stupid thing is that most of the Iraqis here put stickers all over their cars, some of religious icons, some of patriotic stuff, and a lot put on stickers of their favorite countries.... ie Canada

If it was an actual military convoy there would be no point in trying to pass another convoy... leapfroging in these streets doesnt make sense. I am sure that if there was an emergency and it needed to be done though there would be some sort of SOP set up, or at least a com channel in which they could address such matters. There is a lot of co-ordination that goes into sending out any patrol/convoy, if someone needs to get somewhere faster than another group then I am sure the group being leapfroged would be informed of this, and it would take place in a pre-arranged area since a lot of the streets here are narrow and get pretty heavy traffic.

The golden rule on these streets is stay back... waaaaaaaaay back ! I drive a softskin vehicle and am often in the position of being behind these convoys (our company feels that driving Iraqi trucks helps us blend in better, that is there way of telling us they are too cheap to buy us what we need), I dont think I have ever been closer than 300 metres, and I got waved back even that close.

Thanks for that, Wack.  Funny...things have become very quiet on this event...would I be wrong in thinking that this is because a) the Americans are busy with life an Baghdad and b) perhaps our folks didn't see anything before shots because there might not have been perhaps as vigilant as they ought to have been?

When folks said they'd wait out until we got more info, it seems like there is absolutely no further info coming on this issue... 

If it quacks and has webbed feet? ???

Duey

w-i-i,

When you say "these streets" does the same thing apply within the "green zone?" From what I've seen from afar it looks like the "green zone" is more secure than outside, and the rules may not always work the same way.

48 not that you can respond to this now but I was refering to the situation in Afganistan as there is Americans and Canadians there.  I'm sure convoy rules apply the same to both countries.

CFL said:
48 not that you can respond to this now but I was refering to the situation in Afganistan as there is Americans and Canadians there.  I'm sure convoy rules apply the same to both countries.

They dont - Iraq is much more fluid some what I have been able to contrast --
general rules for ANY one - dont overtake or crowd another convoy.

We have almost brewed a few ISAF convoys... and I have NO doubt it will eventually happen as they attempt to over take us.

I wonder with all the SF people going around in their "Civy Trucks" If this has happened to them as well?

Bobbyoreo said:
I wonder with all the SF people going around in their "Civy Trucks" If this has happened to them as well?

I highly doubt it, if anyone knows the rules it would be the guys who have laid a lot of the ground work for the rules that are now in place. Besides, I havent seen too many of the black hiluxs' driven by the USSF in downtown BGW, might stick out just a bit and defeat the purpose of being covert. Like I sad before, anyone who has been here a while should know the rules.
Acorn said:
w-i-i,

When you say "these streets" does the same thing apply within the "green zone?" From what I've seen from afar it looks like the "green zone" is more secure than outside, and the rules may not always work the same way.

That is a good question, and to be honest I am not too familiar with the green zone and convoy movement in there, Ive only been there a few times. I would think that since there are still large numbers of Iraqis living in the IZ the same rules would apply. At the very least though common sense should prevail and its always better to be safe and give the convoys whatever space they need and wait and see if they wave you forward.

Insert Quote
Quote from: Bobbyoreo on February 09, 2006, 13:48:03

I highly doubt it, if anyone knows the rules it would be the guys who have laid a lot of the ground work for the rules that are now in place. Besides, I havent seen too many of the black hiluxs' driven by the USSF in downtown BGW, might stick out just a bit and defeat the purpose of being covert. Like I sad before, anyone who has been here a while should know the rules.
Quote from: Acorn on February 09, 2006, 01:34:17

True

Back