• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

U.S. Politics 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
New nuclear weapon would deter North Korea, Defense Secretary Mattis says

The Pentagon’s new nuclear strategy calls for smaller weapons designed to deter North Korea, Defense Secretary Jim Mattis said Wednesday.

Having a smaller nuclear weapon would allow the Pentagon to respond to a limited nuclear strike by North Korea, he said.

LINK
Yes, the problem with US deterrence is that they just don't have enough nuclear options;  if the probability of being completely wiped off the planet won't deter a North Korean limited strike, then responding with some smaller nukes would obviously  work.  After all, the Americans couldn't retaliate with one or two selectively-targeted warheads, they'd have to launch their entire nuclear force.

:brickwall:

I used to respect Mattis. 

I am trying to follow the logic, but I can't. The trouble is I can't decide if I can't see the forest for the trees, or I can't see the trees for the forest.

Let's see. NK launches a limited nuclear strike, so the US retaliates with a limited one in return. Presumably NK survives with at least part of its nuclear arsenal intact, and its leadership mad as a wet hen. What then?

pbi said:
You might be onto something here:

Heyyyyyy....how come all these  s***hole foreign countries have great big goosestepping parades with lots of tanks and rockets and stuff, and the Great Leader up on a big shiny reviewing stand, and I don't?  Even those French, even after we beat them in two World Wars!! I want a parade! A bigly big parade!! Generals! Get in my office now!!!

If there is one thing the military has taught me it's that parades are 'for the troops'. Especially on weekends, right after being deployed.

Old Sweat said:
I am trying to follow the logic, but I can't. The trouble is I can't decide if I can't see the forest for the trees, or I can't see the trees for the forest.

Let's see. NK launches a limited nuclear strike, so the US retaliates with a limited one in return. Presumably NK survives with at least part of its nuclear arsenal intact, and its leadership mad as a wet hen. What then?

I've always thought the real value of nukes lies in the threat of their use. I do believe that fear of that threat has had a useful influence on the behaviour of nuke nations.

Their actual use, on the other hand, I see as an utter disaster with very little real "military value", and one which has no foreseeable end. I am very, very suspicious of people who go on happily about a "winnable" nuclear war. No thanks.

A nuclear exchange with N Korea is a lose lose proposition. Nuclear deterrent is only effective against sane leadership. That malignant little tumour in Korea would happily watch his entire nation burn if it meant he gave the US a fat lip first.

so the fiscal hawk GOP, with a good economy at full employment, are about to pass a bigger spending bill than Obama's stimulus. 

That's funny.

Not all Republicans are "fiscal hawks", or particularly conservative - hence the term "RINO" (Republican In Name Only).

Jarnhamar said:
If there is one thing the military has taught me it's that parades are 'for the troops'. Especially on weekends, right after being deployed.

A lesson to be learned from military parades in two words: Anwar Sadat  https://rarehistoricalphotos.com/the-assassination-of-anwar-sadat-1981/

Attachments

• The assassination of Anwar Sadat, 1981.jpg
    The assassination of Anwar Sadat, 1981.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 167
Oldgateboatdriver said:
And funny enough, neither one of them asked for a big military parade just so they could feel more important than President Macron (who invited Trump a the last French Bastille day parade, you may recall), or show they have a bigger dick than "Little Rocket Man".

Size matters.

His inaugural crowd size was much smaller than President Obama's.

2.9 million more Americans voted for Mrs. Clinton than him.

There have been protests against him in the streets.

He can't order Americans to his inaugural, or vote for him, or stop protesting him. But, he can order soldiers to march for him.

[quote author=mariomike]

2.9 million more Americans voted for Mrs. Clinton than him.
[/quote]

Noncitizen Voting Is Easy

The United States does not currently issue any general-use document intended to confirm both identity and citizenship. While a U.S. passport may be used for both these purposes, it is a travel document. Most people seek a passport when planning a trip and only a relatively small proportion of the population holds a passport at any given time. 9

As a result, the preferred form of documentary identification in the United States is the drivers’ license. Drivers’ licenses are issued by the states, pursuant to a widely varying body of state-specific laws and regulations. Currently, twelve states and the District of Columbia allow illegal aliens to obtain a drivers’ license.10
https://fairus.org/issue/societal-impact/noncitizens-voting-violations-and-us-elections

Jarnhamar said:
https://fairus.org/issue/societal-impact/noncitizens-voting-violations-and-us-elections

Fairus.org

Classification as a Hate Group
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federation_for_American_Immigration_Reform#Classification_as_a_Hate_Group

Does that negate the information provided?

mariomike said:
Fairus.org

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federation_for_American_Immigration_Reform#Classification_as_a_Hate_Group

The Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC) currently classifies FAIR as a hate group, citing the white supremacist beliefs of its founder. In 1982, John Tanton wrote "As Whites see their power and control over their lives declining, will they simply go quietly into the night? Or will there be an explosion."[15] Later, in a 1993 memo to another board member, Tanton said that "Projections by the U.S. Census Bureau show that midway into the next century, the current European-American majority will become a minority … This is unacceptable; we decline to bequeath to our children minority status in their own land." These statements among other documents led the SPLC to believe that the true intent of Tanton's anti-immigration advocacy was to "to limit the number of nonwhites living in the U.S.", hence the classification as a hate group.

FAIR responded to this charge by stating that there is no factual basis for the accusation; that FAIR has compiled a long record of mainstream credibility and respect on immigration issues and has always opposed discrimination on the basis of race, ethnicity, or religion; and that the accusation is an "act of desperation, resulting from the SPLC's failure to convince the American people of their viewpoint.

The Southern Poverty Law Center. Took a look at their website and interactive map monitoring hate groups. Christian identity, Neo-Nazi, Radical Traditional Catholicism, White Nationalist.  I'm glad there are apparently no Islamic hate groups in the US as Islamic hate groups aren't tracked  ::)

Be that as it may, is the website I quoted from incorrect?  Noncitizen voting isn't easy? Or doesn't happen?

I can't imagine why illegal immigrants wouldn't want a president who promised to deport illegal immigrants, elected.

I've read "About 6 in 10 undocumented immigrants in the United States live in one of 20 metro areas, with three regions in Southern California combining to make up the largest cluster of people living in the country illegally".

Loachman said:
Does that negate the information provided?

Jarnhamar said:
Be that as it may, is the website I quoted from incorrect? 

I go with the Federal Election Commission:
https://transition.fec.gov/pubrec/fe2016/2016presgeresults.pdf

"Report: 3 million votes in presidential election cast by illegal aliens." 

— Bloggers on Monday, November 14th, 2016 in an article on InfoWars

Fact-check: Did 3 million undocumented immigrants vote in this year's election?
http://www.politifact.com/punditfact/statements/2016/nov/18/blog-posting/no-3-million-undocumented-immigrants-did-not-vote-/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back