• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Trudeau Popularity - or not. Nanos research

I really don’t think there’s any reason to think the election would somehow be pushed passed the statutory fixed election date, save for the one week they’re already trying to delay it for the pensions.
And run with those Pensions they will.

I really don’t think there’s any reason to think the election would somehow be pushed passed the statutory fixed election date...
Neither do I, but with the Trudeau Liberals and Singh in their pocket, never say reason.

No, but actually yes.

Fixed date can be amended (pending now), but constitutionally election can go to 5 years.

Would not like to see the Liberals/NDP try that.
Again, no. By law, An Act to Ammend the Canada Elections Act, 2007, it must be four years. The law can be amended by an act of Parliament of course, but there has been no suggestion of any changes beyond one week.

The constitutional maximum is five years, but Parliament voted to limit it to four.

As much as I want this government gone yesterday, I want to see an election later rather than sooner.

If we have an election tomorrow, nothing will be fixed from the foreign interference scandals. The election will be run under the same rules as the last ones with no foreign agent registry. I would rather wait for the registry and other reforms be on place before the next election. Maybe by that time we’ll learn more from the Hogue Commission on who knew what when and what did they do about it.

Of course this assumes the parties will want to enact many of the needed reforms to clean up our elections, and we’ll get some more transparency in the next year…

As much as I want this government gone yesterday, I want to see an election later rather than sooner.

If we have an election tomorrow, nothing will be fixed from the foreign interference scandals. The election will be run under the same rules as the last ones with no foreign agent registry. I would rather wait for the registry and other reforms be on place before the next election. Maybe by that time we’ll learn more from the Hogue Commission on who knew what when and what did they do about it.

Of course this assumes the parties will want to enact many of the needed reforms to clean up our elections, and we’ll get some more transparency in the next year…
The enabling legislation for the foreign interference issue - bill C-70 - got royal assent already; it was lightning quick. Yes, setting it up with take time and I expect further regulation (I focused on the criminal side of the bill, need to take a harder look at the agent registry part), but at least the law passed and it’s underway.

Foreign agent registry?

Will probably work as well as the gun registry.

It’s a mechanism allied countries use, and is also sort of comparable to the federal lobbying registry. It opens up regulatory and criminal enforcement mechanisms simply for working on behalf of a foreign state without registering, even if the lobbying you engage in is not itself criminal. The principle is if you’re working on behalf of a foreign government, ours should get to know that.

As examples, a couple recent criminal charges from the U.S.:

It’s a mechanism allied countries use, and is also sort of comparable to the federal lobbying registry. It opens up regulatory and criminal enforcement mechanisms simply for working on behalf of a foreign state without registering, even if the lobbying you engage in is not itself criminal. The principle is if you’re working on behalf of a foreign government, ours should get to know that.

As examples, a couple recent criminal charges from the U.S.:

Its certainly better than nothing, and I'll admit I'm not fully read up on how it would/will work.

I just have amazingly low expectations for anything done by the current Government (or quite frankly any follow-on Government), as a result of having read the book "Willful Blindness" by Sam Cooper.

Something something, barn door, horse already gone...

The winning party is probably less than inclined to enact reforms that gave them the win.

I really don’t think there’s any reason to think the election would somehow be pushed passed the statutory fixed election date,
Canadians elected me for a reason. I haven't been able to finish what I was elected to do so I'm staying an extra year to <raises voice> deliever what Canadians want Mr Speaker!

Post-2015 campaign promise memory failure confirms this to be true.
That was what I was specifically referring to, but even just thinking theoretically - what party would suggest changing the way in which they benefitted the most?

what party would suggest changing the way in which they benefitted the most?
The kind of party that would think it got them more votes, and that they could Tenev later and not really lose anything after the election, and that the electorate would forget about it before the next election… 😉

The kind of party that would think it got them more votes, and that they could Tenev later and not really lose anything after the election, and that the electorate would forget about it before the next election… 😉
True. But, the left-er parts of Reddit and other social media have certainly not forgotten about the 2015 promise.

My point was really to @RangerRay ‘s comment because parties can say whatever they want, but there is zero chance they would change the way elections work if they win. When the LPC announced that 2015 was the last FPTP election, my first thought was “what if they win?”

Canadians elected me for a reason. I haven't been able to finish what I was elected to do so I'm staying an extra year to <raises voice> deliever what Canadians want Mr Speaker!
That's freakin' me out because I can actually hear him saying exactly those words!

True. But, the left-er parts of Reddit and other social media have certainly not forgotten about the 2015 promise.

My point was really to @RangerRay ‘s comment because parties can say whatever they want, but there is zero chance they would change the way elections work if they win. When the LPC announced that 2015 was the last FPTP election, my first thought was “what if they win?”
Agree. That there are people who honestly believed that 2015 promise, means there are people who believe words they want to hear over actions most probably not to be taken in their interests.

Back