• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Traditional Beret Colours and thoughts on the tan beret?

Spotted a Tan Beret on base today - hence the searching out of this thread.  Guess this person must be part of the first wave of unit members.

I like beret (didn't get a view of the cap badge).  They're a nice change.  Sometimes I look at other countries and wish we had a little less uniformity, with a little more ability to spot different trades/units/etc.  Don't get me wrong, I like being part of the big group.  But having the opportunity to show off a bit of pride for the part you play is nice too.  It's like being somewhere and having a medal that NOT EVERYONE else has.  Kinda like, standing out without "sticking" out.  For now though, I'll stick to blending in.  Easy enough to stay out of trouble that way.  :warstory: :warstory: :warstory: :king: :warstory: :warstory:

Bin

Interesting, since we've been told we aren't permitted to wear ours until tomorrow.  What base was this at?

If it was at Pet their is an exchange unit (4 or 5 pers) of SAS Territorials there this week.  Hence the tan berets.

I think in WWII the Special Service Force the Black Devils or the Devils Brigade used a Tan Beret.This unit was made up of Canadian and
U.S. troops. The U.S. Army Special Forces claim their linage to them I do not know which unit in the Canada Army has their battle honours The Canadian vets of this unit were presented with C.I.B. by the U.S Army last year.

Col. Barr was seen on CBC wearing the tan beret with a couple NCM's as well, 2 nights ago.

Cadpat20 said:
I think in WWII the Special Service Force the Black Devils or the Devils Brigade used a Tan Beret.This unit was made up of Canadian and
U.S. troops. The U.S. Army Special Forces claim their linage to them I do not know which unit in the Canada Army has their battle honours

The 1st SSF did not have Tan Berets.

The Canadian Regiment that perpetuated their Battle Honours, and those of the 1st Canadian Parachute Battalion as well, was the Canadian Airborne Regiment. 

There is one member of FSSF with a tan beret. Charlie Mann was made an honourary member of CANSOFCOM and was given a tan beret. He was wearing it at the transformation ceremony.

George Wallace said:
The 1st SSF did not have Tan Berets.

The Canadian Regiment that perpetuated their Battle Honours, and those of the 1st Canadian Parachute Battalion as well, was the Canadian Airborne Regiment. 

1st SSF may have had red berets - they did in the movie at any rate.  I thought I've seen surviving examples of the real thing, but I thought someone told me this was only adopted after the Force was broken up?  I still can't afford a copy of Supercommandos....

Michael Dorosh said:
1st SSF may have had red berets - they did in the movie at any rate.  I thought I've seen surviving examples of the real thing, but I thought someone told me this was only adopted after the Force was broken up?  I still can't afford a copy of Supercommandos....
Welcome back Michael.

I think that what you are thinking about here was the Canadians wearing their Regimental headdress.  A large portion may have been originally from Rifle Regiments and kept their berets.  As did those who were from the Highland Regiments, who kept their headdress, if I remember the scenes in the movie of the little unarmed combat instructor and later the Bar fight correctly.

George Wallace said:
Welcome back Michael.

I think that what you are thinking about here was the Canadians wearing their Regimental headdress.  A large portion may have been originally from Rifle Regiments and kept their berets.  As did those who were from the Highland Regiments, who kept their headdress, if I remember the scenes in the movie of the little unarmed combat instructor and later the Bar fight correctly.

No, I'm thinking of the adoption of a red beret by the whole force.  They are definitely in the movie as well as on the cover of Adleman's pulp fiction "history" of the Force - and I dimly recall seeing one either at Taboika's private museum or at Milarm in Edmonton, but may be remembering it incorrectly.  When the Force was formed, the beret wasn't an infantry item - that didn't come until 1943, and they were all khaki (the red and rifle green berets were postwar headdress).

Tankers in WW2 did wear black berets... before 1943.
I still have my dad's old Three River Tank (pre '40) black hat ...... it's huge!

geo said:
Tankers in WW2 did wear black berets... before 1943.
I still have my dad's old Three River Tank (pre '40) black hat ...... it's huge!

I was referring to Infantry berets - but now that you mention it, the TANK regiments created in 1936, which adopted the black beret, were considered part of the Infantry until the armoured corps was created in 1940.

Commandos and airborne also wore maroon and green etc.; I was speaking specifically to the red berets which for some reason I thought the SSF may have had.  I do know they wore a US style overseas cap with red, white and blue twist piping so it may be that I am remembering the beret incorrectly - but it certainly wasn't tan.

George Wallace said:
Welcome back Michael.

George stop eating out of your mess tins. You were right beside me when I took this picture at the CWM. Looks red/maroon to me.
1st_ssf_uniform.JPG

The maroon beret would make sense, as the Canadians belonging to 1st SSF were part of an administrative unit called 2nd Cdn Parachute Battalion.

Danjanou said:
George stop eating out of your mess tins. You were right beside me when I took this picture at the CWM. Looks red/maroon to me.
1st_ssf_uniform.JPG
You know....I never noticed the beret.....I notice in your picture that the collar dogs are missing though.

Would have been nice of them to also include a Johnson in the weapons collection too.

It's ok I never noticed it either. I remembered I had a shot and went and dug it up.  :-[

I think there's a Johnson in another display ( I know there's one in the Airborne museum in Pet). This is actually Sgt Tommy Prince's Uniform (or supposed to be) IIRC as his medals are right beside it, so maybe they limited to the weapon's he carried.

Jungle said:
The maroon beret would make sense, as the Canadians belonging to 1st SSF were part of an administrative unit called 2nd Cdn Parachute Battalion.

Aye, or he picked up the maroon beret after leaving the Force for reassignment to 1 Can Para in Dec 1944 or thereabouts. :( If only they could talk...

Back